Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
ant458
.224 member

Reged: 02/11/07
Loc: georgia usa
remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger
      #142241 - 18/09/09 09:48 AM

hey every one have a neat idea is it possible to biuld a 375 or 416 ruger with a rem 700 adl that is
chamberd for the 300 win mag cause it has a magnum boltface ijust thout it could be a cool project
and a good dangerous game rifle any thoughts

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: ant458]
      #142292 - 18/09/09 11:57 PM

Most everyone here is going to tell you the remington action, as it is a push feed, is not a good action to use for a dangerous game rifle. If I was building a custom rifle specifically for dangerous game, I would tend NOT to use one as well..having said that, I have taken a custom shop 700 in .416 on 4 Safaris to Africa without so much as a hiccup..and will probably take it again when I go for my bull elephant..wait, scratch that, I will use my Westley in .470--anyway---that's my .02...

Take care

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: Ripp]
      #142597 - 24/09/09 09:18 AM

G'Day Fella's,

As Ripp has already mentioned, some may tell you that you will need to utilize a Controlled Feed Action. Remington actions should be fine. The only down side that I can see is, the Rem 700 long action has a magazine box, long enough for a .375 H&H Mag cartridge. In the case the .375 and .416 Ruger's, they only require a mag box long enough for a .30-06 cartridge.

Just remember ant458, it's your action so you should do with it as you please!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: Homer]
      #143429 - 10/10/09 04:43 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

As Ripp has already mentioned, some may tell you that you will need to utilize a Controlled Feed Action. Remington actions "should" be fine. The only down side that I can see is, the Rem 700 long action has a magazine box, long enough for a .375 H&H Mag cartridge. In the case the .375 and .416 Ruger's, they only require a mag box long enough for a .30-06 cartridge.

Just remember ant458, it's your action so you should do with it as you please!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

I have to agree with almost everthing Hommer said above especially the "word" in bold print! I don;t think he meant it the way I would agree with it's use, however!

Since it is your rifle, as Hommer says, you can do as you please, that is true. However, why not simply sell the Remington and buy the Ruger African rifle already chambered for the round you want? The Ruger is a far better rifle anyway, and has a CRF action as well as a plateform that was designed for the cartridge you want!

.......................That's my two pennys!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Homer
.416 member

Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #143796 - 16/10/09 07:01 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks Dugga Boy for high lighting my poor use of the English language.
By using the word "Should" I didn't mean it as it came out.
I have a number of Remington's in calibers that I would happily take after Dangerous Game (DG) (a 700 in .338 Win Mag & a 673 in .350 Rem Mag).
My only advise to any Remington 700/600/660/7/673 etc owner is;
The Remington extractor can be a bit hard on case rims so I occasionally clean out the recessed bolt face of the bolt with an old tooth brush. This will remove the bits of brass that can accumulate in there. Also check the rims of often used/reloaded cases in Dangerous Game calibers, to confirm that they are OK to use and wont let you down, when in DG areas.
I also use the handle end of the tooth brush to depress the plunger ejector and place a drop of Break Free (BF) there to get down into the ejector pin hole. While I'm at it I place a drop of BF in the firing pin hole and also on the cocking cam at the other end of the bolt. I also place a small amount of Stringy Grease, on the bolt Locking Lugs, to lubricate these usually neglected surfaces.

HooRoo
From
Homer

--------------------

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #143804 - 16/10/09 10:16 PM

Use whatever action you have the most confidence in. I never understood the supposed advantage of a .30-06 action length verses a longer action length. "This cartridge has an advantage because it'll fit into a .30-06 length action", as quoted from a noted rifle rag. I've never carried a long action, of which all my rifles are, and wished I had a rifle with a shorter action. It certainly doesn't mean it carries any better and will not shoot any better. If someone is going to short-cycle the bolt, they'll do it regardless of action length. I have the same opinion regarding controlled action verses push feed. I own both and I can hold either rifle upside down and feed cardtridges into the chamber without a hitch. There have been as many feeding and ejection failures with one type as there have been with the other.

Use whatever YOU have the most confidence in.

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #143836 - 17/10/09 11:48 AM

How can anyone argue with common sense like yours Jerry!
You hit the Nail on the Head man!

As to the Long and Magnum action BS from the past.
I believe most of it was a result of a lack of Magnum Length actions commonly available.
You know, 300Win Mag versus .300 Weatherby Mag and the actions they each require.
These days we are blessed with choice Super Short, Short, Medium, Long and Magnum! Have I missed any?
So much of the rest of it is just Advertising and Marketing BS by the manufactures or the "Personalities" that they pay/gift, to write what they want the shooting public to read and hear!

HooRoo
From
Homer

--------------------

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: ant458]
      #144539 - 27/10/09 09:22 AM

I would prefer the Rem 700 to the Ruger action for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it has about the biggest recoil lug of any action and more stock material behind the recoil lug. There is no need for a barrel recoil lug in 416 calibre with the Rem 700.

Secondly, any and every scope mount is available for the Rem 700 action.

And Rem 700s will feed upside down And if want super relaible feeding then get the HS Precision vertical stack magazine for the Rem 700.

Homer
.416 member

Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #144540 - 27/10/09 09:28 AM

G'Day Fella's

Mike, as a Died in the Wool Remington man, I can't argue with any of that!!!

HooRoo
From
Homer

--------------------

bipbigbore
.224 member

Reged: 06/10/05
Loc: USA
      #146130 - 18/11/09 09:46 AM

The one thing unsaid here is that neither 416 Ruger nor 375 ruger require a magnum bolt face. They are both rimless.

BipBigBore

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: bipbigbore]
      #146205 - 19/11/09 07:43 AM

I would just go with the Ruger rifle. I have had very good luck with the Hawkeye and M77 rifles. I like the Ruger scope mounting system MUCH better than a base and rings. I use the Warne QD rings on my .458 and .375 and no problems. I have used the M77s for many years and never a repair needed. I have had a few Remingtons and had problems with several.

--------------------
One day at a time...

ShortandFat
.224 member

Reged: 17/12/09
Loc: Goulburn Vallley, Vic
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: bigmaxx]
      #148597 - 22/12/09 04:11 PM

Do it mate

If you just want it for a knock about rifle, go for it

I have a 416 Ruger built on a Vangaurd/Howa with a 22 inch fluted barrel and it's a blast to shoot, it feeds and handles well and shoot accurately

The Vangaurd stock requires very little work, they have factory internal cross bolts and reenforced, But I would strip it down and redo the stock.

However if I was going to Africa I wouldn't take it, I'd take a CRF

regards
S&F

Edited by ShortandFat (22/12/09 04:15 PM)

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: ShortandFat]
      #148599 - 22/12/09 04:51 PM

I have a Remington in .375 H&H, and as accurate as it is , it will not reliably feed the new Hornady Dangerous Game Series of bullets. They have very large, FLAT meplats. With conventional pointed or round nose projectiles, there is nothing to worry about. Barnes Banded Solids and Hornady DGS, or DGX slugs are another matter.

With the conventionally shaped Woodleigh's, there should be no problems. Feed ramp alterations may work with the Remington action, but do your homework.

Kind regards,

albertan

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: albertan]
      #148602 - 22/12/09 05:39 PM

Why not just build a 416 Rem Mag?

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

ShortandFat
.224 member

Reged: 17/12/09
Loc: Goulburn Vallley, Vic
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: chuck375]
      #148661 - 23/12/09 12:52 PM

Quote:

Why not just build a 416 Rem Mag?

Chuck

Action not big enough !

regards
S&F

Homer
.416 member

Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: ShortandFat]
      #148770 - 24/12/09 04:03 PM

G'Day Fella's,

I think you may have your wires crossed S & F, as this is the same action, that Remington chamber there .416 Rem Mags in!

HooRoo
and
Merry Christmas
From
Hommer

--------------------

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: bipbigbore]
      #148774 - 24/12/09 05:27 PM

Quote:

The one thing unsaid here is that neither 416 Ruger nor 375 ruger require a magnum bolt face. They are both rimless.

BipBigBore

Nope. The RIM diameters are the same as the belted cartridges that are based on the .375 H&H and .300 H&H cases.

-Bob F.

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
      #148789 - 24/12/09 11:02 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,
The only down side that I can see is, the Rem 700 long action has a magazine box, long enough for a .375 H&H Mag cartridge. In the case the .375 and .416 Ruger's, they only require a mag box long enough for a .30-06 cartridge.

The flip side of this 'down side' is that monolithics are proliferating and are long for their weight. A 375Ruger in an H&H length action has space enough to seat the 400gr monolithics out to maintain maximum case capacity.

You could also consider a 375RUM, just need a RUM magazine box with cut-outs. Might as well run faster than the 375Ruger seeing as you can in that action.
Cheers...
Con

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: Con]
      #148805 - 25/12/09 02:55 AM

If I may proffer an opinion.

Above was a remark about greesing the bolt locking lugs.

If a DGR is being used for that purpose,rather than at a range, then personaly I would before a trip degrease the working parts a lubricate with a dry Molydisuphate powder of powderd graphite.

Grease in these places can pick up grit and dust enough to prevent closing of the bolt on a round especially on the bolt face or chamber if it migrates in the heat. For the number of rounds that will be fired on an overseas trip there will be no wear on the lugs by running the gun dry and it will be much easier to keep the shit out of there is nothing for it to cling to.

The same thing applies to trigger sears, grit here especially on fine aftermarket triggers can stop the sear catching. There is a reason that Mauser origional triggers are made of re-cycled girders :-)

Regards

Homer
.416 member

Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: Bramble]
      #148833 - 25/12/09 07:49 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Your correct Bob F but as so often is the case, an individual only gets half the story or gets their wires crossed and mixed up and out comes another version of the original. I assume this is what has happened with BipBigBore's comment.
Yes the Ruger .375 and .416 cases are Rimless but they have basically the same Rim Diameter as a H&H Belted Magnum. Because of the Larger body diameter (forward of the Rim), the case has a increased capacity (for length), and because of this it can be accommodated in a rifle with a STANDARD LENGTH (or .30-06 length) MAGAZINE.

As to lubricating the your Rifles Locking Lugs, I don't see this being a problem!
I still do this and in 35 + years and at least 100K of Handloaded and Fired centerfire ammo, around a Very Dry and Dusty Australia, this has Never been a problem!
I must say, I believe an awful lot of individuals, read far to much (and believe to much of what they read) and as a result, don't have enough personal experiences to base their theories on!
But we all need to remember one thing.
You paid for your firearms, so feel free to do with them as you please!!!

Just remember another thing, when something breaks (or from neglect), expect to pay $2.00 a Minute anytime you knock on my door!

Merry Christmas To All
From
Hommer

Bramble
.375 member

#148865 - 25/12/09 01:31 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

I must say, I believe an awful lot of individuals, read far to much (and believe to much of what they read) and as a result, don't have enough personal experiences to base their theories on!
Merry Christmas To All
From
Hommer

Defence corrispondent Telegraph 2002

"Earlier this month an MoD inspection team flew to Afghanistan amid reports of a number of stoppages affecting Royal Marine commandos hunting al-Qa'eda fighters.

The team, including two experts from Heckler and Koch, was horrified to find the problem was far worse than previously thought.

A demonstration by a company of Marines returning from a mission showed a third of the companies' rifles, between 30 and 40, not working properly.

The Marines were told to treat their return to Bagram by Chinook helicopter as a landing in a hostile environment. The whole exercise was filmed.

As the helicopters landed at Bagram, throwing up a huge dust cloud, the Marines poured out of the helicopters and ran to the firing range to fire their weapons.

Problems they encountered ranged from stoppages caused by dust in the rifle's working parts to magazines falling off. Even those who managed to fire their rifles had to work hard to get the safety catches off.

There was a stand-up row at a meeting in the MoD last week when a senior Army officer accused the Marines of causing the stoppages by not keeping their weapons clean.

Royal Marines officers dismissed the claim, saying that the modified weapon was too high-maintenance and they had been forced to clean it as often as five times a day.

One said: "If you're jumping out of a Chinook into that kind of heat and dust, it wouldn't matter how clean the rifle was beforehand. The minute you got off, it would be covered in shit."

Heckler and Koch experts identified five serious problems needing to be rectified:

The oil's ability to lubricate the weapon is breaking down in the high temperatures;
The impossibility of switching off the safety catch under fire;
Too much dust getting into the magazines, preventing them from putting rounds in the rifle chamber;
Too much dust getting into the rifle itself. Experts suggested a protective cover over the working parts;"

And these are military guns with large tollerences built for these kind of conditions, not custom built guns headspaced to 2/3 of a cunt hair and 2 lb triggers.
But of course as you pointed out I do not have enough personal knowledge in this field as I know fuck all about rifle design or function. I get all my knowledge from the internet.

Regards

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #148866 - 25/12/09 01:47 PM

What a mess.

Don't recall exactly where I heard or read the story of an old SAS officer who ended up in the desert (years/decades ago) who ended up (having to) order crates of gin for his staff and crew as a gun-cleaner.

Evidently the stuff he got was good enough as a solvent, left a very slight residue of oil (juniper?), and kept the men happy enough to get them through the affair.
A few years ago I was doing security/perimeter work during summer months in the northern nevada desert. The weather would go to shit from total zero visibility white-out dust storms to torrential rainfall (turned the world to a bowl of grease - damn that mud!) to dry and hot sun exposure up to 109F
Although I never had to shoot anyone so I can't speak for combat-effectiveness, I did action drills in-condition anyway and (because I could) I test-drove the gin as daily hygiene for my 1911 - with great success.

Made for easy decision-making on the after-hours cocktail selection process!

I've used gin quite a few times over the years as an ultra-light lubricant for my hair-clippers too.
I don't give a decent haircut, but at least I have the gin handy...

did I just drive this thread completely off the rails..? must be the gin...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Bramble
.375 member

Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: tinker]
      #148867 - 25/12/09 01:53 PM

It is not only the British that have suffered from oily lubes in dusty conditions.

http://www.militec-1.com/articles/SFTT.html

And I am not aware of an army in the world that still uses greese on their guns for just these reasons.

Regards

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #148874 - 25/12/09 06:00 PM

Bramble-

Thanks for the link.
I've had one full-on seizure of a black rifle in the desert, with the bolt part way back and the action stuffed full of that fine-as-talc dust - from a hard fall and the rifle ending up ejection port side first between me and the earth.

Ended up needing to slide-hammer the thing into the ground butt-first with my boot heel against the charging handle to get it free.
That dust is nasty.
Hosed it down with water from a camelbak and kept running it.

I wasn't kidding about the gin.
It actually works - and it doesn't attract silt/dirt/dust/sand.
Makes a refreshing beverage too.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Homer
.416 member

Re: remington 700 adl in 375 ruger or 416 ruger [Re: tinker]
      #148878 - 25/12/09 08:32 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Sorry Bramble, I was of the opinion that this was primarily a Hunting and Sport Shooting Forum and not a Military and Police related one?
Also I was just generalizing when I made the comment about "To Much Reading and not enough Personal Experience", but you have assumed I was directing this comment at You! Nuff Said!!!

I cant see the relevance of problems arising in tight tolerance (yes some Mil Spec firearm internals are and have to be), military firearms has to this forum!

But seeing that we are here, might I suggest Heckler and Koch contact Mauser (they probably own them after all! No, that's right, it's Blaser) and order a shipment of 1898 Mauser (or even some Remington 700) bolt action rifles in say 7x57 Mauser!
These rifles are well proven to reliably operate, in the harshest of conditions!
And in fact, most of my hunting has been done with rifles with a Teeny Weeny Little Extractor that Cant be Any Good and Must Fail but none of these Remington 600's and 700's have ever given me the slightest problem!
If not, my only other suggestion would be Point #4 from H&K, "A Dust Cover" similar to the type issued to GI's at the "D Day" Landings way back in the mid 1940's or could I be so bold as to mention that "Common Sense, is No Longer Common"!!!

I just checked out some Pubic Hair and I would estimate that it would be about 0.006" in diameter so going on your CRUDE (and unnecessary) estimation, I would have to agree that 2/3's of that would be 0.004" and that is indeed within the acceptable tolerance range of head space for most hunting rifles!

I have no interest in going hunting in Afghanistan or any other stan for that matter but if I wanted to hunt say "Mid-Asian Ibex" in Tajikistan, I would probably be carrying a Rem 700 in some caliber, with a 2 1/2 lb trigger with greAsed (maybe even Molybdenum Disulphide greAse, if that was all that was available), locking lugs and be perfectly confident that I wouldn't have any problems!!!

As to GIN, Tinker it may be fine as a flushing solvent, but I personally find it to be far to much of a Depressant, when consumed as a beverage!

Merry Christmas
from
Hommer

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16923

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com