Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Aperture sights on a DGR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Aperture sights on a DGR
      #138111 - 27/06/09 08:17 PM

Hello all

Just a query, as I’ve been playing with my 1972 Brno in 375H&H (that might just end up as a 404J yet) and found the peep sight in the rear receiver to be fast, really fast, and very accurate too.

So, who else here uses aperture sights on a dangerous game rifle, and why do you choose to do so?

If you don’t use one, would you if given the chance. Why or why not?

Regards,

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: alexbeer]
      #138118 - 28/06/09 02:21 AM

I use a couple on BA Rifle's that have them.

They are fast and accurate.

I haven't "added" any to other guns, I just use
the open sights they come with.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: 500Nitro]
      #138124 - 28/06/09 07:38 AM

I have apertures on both my main hunting rifles and while I havent as yet shown then any DG I woulnt hesitste to do so. They are fast and accurate to use and are my first choise with advantages being weight, balance, non fragility, handling and the pure asthetics. Once you start with the apertures the scoped rifle can look and feel just a bit clumsy.I do have a scope in qd rings in a back pack for the 7x57 and pest rifle has one but out to 200yds or so the aperture is great.Only downfall is just on dark where the scope will pick up and identify game better.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: VonGruff]
      #138129 - 28/06/09 09:30 AM

I learnt to shoot with my father's .22lr Lithgow Model 12 fitted with a rear aperture sight. I have always respected their use as I also find them very fast to use. The longer sight radius helps improve accuracy over other 'open sights'.

AFRO408 has a large diameter one for his .408 custom rifle and a pop up on his BRNO .243 Myra.

I am planing to eventually get one of those NECG rear scope base mounted models. It will be for my FN Mauser 98 .275 Rigby project as a back up in case of a scope failure in the field, but only if I can get positive feedback about them from people who have used one.

I have express sights on my 9.3x62 which post Africa, I would now be confident to use on DG (with a back up). I had express sights installed to keep it 'traditional' even knowing an aperture would be more practical.

Sorry for the rambling reply but I guess for me the choice of 'open' or 'iron' sights comes down to traditional express sights or practical aperture rear sight. Both with the appropriate front bead.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: tophet1]
      #138136 - 28/06/09 02:17 PM

I have a Lyman 48 receiver sight on my P14 actioned .505 wildcat, which I have used to take a rhino, three elephants and five Cape buffalo. I learned to shoot in the Marine Corps, first with an M1 and a BAR, then with an M14, all equipped with aperture sights.

On the target range, I am confident of hitting what I aim at with a receiver sight up to 600 and even 1000 yards, and using one on a hunting rifle, where the ranges are infinitely closer, presents no problem at all. I use the 48 with the screw in sight insert removed, giving me a really large aperture and instant target acquisition. No need to look for the rear sight and line it up, just line up the front sight and touch 'er off.

VonGruff
.400 member

#138138 - 28/06/09 02:32 PM

It will be for my FN Mauser 98 .275 Rigby project as a back up in case of a scope failure in the field, but only if I can get positive feedback about them from people who have used one.

Tophet1 you could do to have a look at this style as it is simply wound down for scope use. If you are looking at a 275 Rigby this style of sight is more apropriate than a bridge mounted unit and gives an extra 3 in of sight radius.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/7x57StalkingRifle02-02-09021.jpg

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Edited by VonGruff (28/06/09 02:36 PM)

tophet1
.400 member

#138141 - 28/06/09 03:21 PM

VonGruff,

I am aware of this sight. Is that pictured example on your rifle ? If it is, please provide some feedback. Do you know what brand the scope mounts are on that rifle ?

I have read that this sight may not be as consistant as one would hope. At DG ranges of say, 5 - 75 yards I assume any variables would be negligible anyway ?

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
      #138149 - 28/06/09 07:33 PM

tophet1

I made one of these exact same sights as part of a custom 98 in 7x57 a few years ago. It is the only rear sight on this particular open sighted rifle. When I first zeroed it, it would make really nice 1-1/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Many many more rounds later, it will still make really nice 1-1/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Maybe not up to Queens type accuracy, but it's certainly deadly on deer,goat and pig.

Regards

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: alexbeer]
      #138150 - 28/06/09 08:48 PM

PM sent.

RHB
.300 member

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: India
Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: xausa]
      #138154 - 28/06/09 11:57 PM

Quote:

No need to look for the rear sight and line it up, just line up the front sight and touch 'er off.

Xausa: That's the way they are supposed to be used. Sans rear sight, that is.

Rustam

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: RHB]
      #138159 - 29/06/09 01:25 AM

Only if the stock is a bespoke fit....

I really like a ghost ring peep sight and find it easier to shoot accurately than a V. If you get a chance to look at Gregor Wood's book Rifles for Africa you can see the one he fashioned for the rear bridge of his BRNO 602 (?) .458 Lott. I once had one like this on a .308 and it was fast and quick to shoot. If I ordered a bolt action DG rifle then I would specify this for iron sights sighted in for my chosen load. I don't know about a DR, although I have often thought about it...

VonGruff
.400 member

#138166 - 29/06/09 07:51 AM

Quote:

VonGruff,

I am aware of this sight. Is that pictured example on your rifle ? If it is, please provide some feedback. Do you know what brand the scope mounts are on that rifle ?

I have read that this sight may not be as consistant as one would hope. At DG ranges of say, 5 - 75 yards I assume any variables would be negligible anyway ?

Yes it is on my rifle, a custom I built on a 1908 DWM in 7x57. I had the bases made to except the Ruger high rings ( I was origionally going to use a NECG bridge aperture) We ground off the humps and used a set of Warne levers. I find my general hunting load (plain 150gn corelokt's) and a serious load ( 160gn Woodleigh) only have a 1/2in elevation difference so the sight regulated for one works with the other at the same setting. I had the rear of my cocking piece turned down and an off set collar sweated on to allow the sight the be dovetailed in as low as possible to get clearance over the top when it is wound down and the scope installed which I would only do if ranges were over 200 or so. I have a 8in x 8in wearalloy plate that is hard to miss off hand.While it may not matter to anyone else I feel so much better about making a shot with this aperture sight than I ever could with a scope and a conection to the riflemen of yesteryear.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #138197 - 29/06/09 08:03 PM

G'Day Fella's

Check out> www.xssights.com They manufacture Ghost Ring sights that will attach to a swag of different Rifles.
They also have models that attach to some brands of scope mount bases, so you can attach them as a Back-Up sight, in case of scope failure, etc.
But don't forget, you'll need to have a front sight for this to work properly!!!

I hope this may be of some assistance?

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: Homer]
      #138200 - 29/06/09 09:22 PM

Colin Shadbolt wrote years ago (in 'Australian Outdoors') that Westley Richards put peep sights on .318 magazine rifles intended for shooting lion. He claimed apertures were accepted as the fastest sight beyond 40 yards.

I have put them on four rifles and, with the disc out, find them quicker than a scope and close to that of an express sight. If the rifle fits properly you can pretty much ignore the rear sight and don't have to worry whether you're taking a fine enough bead - as I do with express sights.

Homer
.416 member

Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: Paul]
      #138201 - 29/06/09 09:34 PM

G'Day Paul

I can attest to the speed you refer to, as the Pop-Up ghost ring Peep sight on my old Brno 600 is just as you say.

Shoulder it and Shoot!

This sight system, made a lot of critters awfully sick!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Re: Aperture sights on a DGR [Re: Homer]
      #138969 - 14/07/09 10:25 PM

G'Day Fella's,

FYI www.newenglandcustomgun.com also make a range of fully adjustable, Ghost Ring Peep Sights that attach to some rifle Receiver Bridges or rear scope base and dovetails etc .
I hope this additional information, is of some benefit/help.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5213

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com