Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I finally own a Luger

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
I finally own a Luger
      #135576 - 18/05/09 08:14 AM

Local gunshop had one in stock. It's a 1916 Erfurt model. It's in very good condition. I'll be shooting it either Monday or Tuesday. It was on consignment and the seller was only asking $700 USD for it. I was suprised, but I field stripped it and checked it out. Everything is working and in very good shape. All serial numbers match.All the correct proof marks are present. I traded a Glock 19 and a S&W 586 for it. I've been wanting a Luger for many many years. This was an opportunity. I was willing to part with those two models if it meant getting a Luger.

I'm 41 years old. Since I was a boy in the late seventies I've always wanted a Webley Mk VI revolver, P08 'Luger' Parabellum and a Mauser C96 Broomhandle pistol. I now own a Webley and a Luger. I'm still hunting for a MAuser. I had an opportunity to purchase an Astra 900 Broomhandle for $1,000 USD a few months ago but I passed. It was in good shape but I want a Mauser. All things come to those who wait I guess.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: I finally own a Luger [Re: Checkman]
      #135595 - 18/05/09 10:28 PM

Checkman;

Congrats on the great find...like digging for treasure!

Don't believe the commonly spouted stuff about unreliability of the Luger. If you get any jamming, there are solutions!

I had one that literally would not fire a single magazineful without jamming, and by the time I was done with it {simple fixes} it fed everything including 147 grain flat point Remington FMJ's.

Like you, I want another one. Maybe someday. Other things are in the way right now, like bills!

If you have any issues with the gun, PM me and I can point you to some experts who helped me.

Great stuff!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Checkman
.333 member

Re: I finally own a Luger [Re: 9.3x57]
      #135604 - 18/05/09 11:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to Lugers. Fortunately like most folks on this site I have an extensive firearms library and for the first time I'm really paying attention to all the Luger literature, but that can only go so far. Seem the best references for shooting a Luger are several articles by the late Robert T. Shimek and "Small Arms of the World" by W.H.B. Smith. But the information only goes so far. Sometimes you need to talk to other shooters. Especially when it comes to the older guns.

I like the fact that I got a response from a fellow Idahoan. Which is great on a site with such an international flavor.

I was browsing the gunshop last Saturday. The owner had opted not to rent a table at the gunshow in Boise (05/16/09)and his business was very slow that afternoon.As in the only people in the store were me and him. When I was distracted for a few minutes looking at a Manuhurin 73 revolver and that Astra 900 Broomhandle I've already mentioned he slipped the Luger out onto the counter from it's hiding spot. I went home and grabbed the two handguns and we made a trade. Fortunately for me President Obama has got so many people scared that the Glock 19's are selling like crazy. I've no doubt he'll ask somewhere between $450 and $500 and he'll get it. The Smith & Wesson will probably sell for $400. He'll make a profit no doubt.

Thanks again. Here is a link to another site that I can post photos on. The photos are not real slick. I'm not a pro.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358083

Edited by Checkman (19/05/09 12:04 AM)

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #135620 - 19/05/09 03:10 AM

congratulations checkman

they are some of the finest natural pointing pistols evermade and the old german gunsmiths knew how to make a high quality firearm even if massproduced.
i owned a few over the years and i always look for the next one to buy and play with.

best regards

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: I finally own a Luger [Re: peter]
      #135638 - 19/05/09 10:16 AM

Checkman:

You'll probably want spare mags.

For shooting, don't bother with originals. Buy Mec-Gar mags and replace the springs with Wolff mag springs.

Magazine springs might just be the single most important factor in feeding reliability. Second being the mainspring. Replacing it is a bit tricky, but the method I cooked up made it pretty easy.

Balance between the mag springs and the mainspring is the key. Once you hit the sweet spot it's a home run.

Wish I never sold mine............................

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Checkman
.333 member

#135641 - 19/05/09 01:06 PM

Thanks for the tips. I dug out my old NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly. Published in 1980 it covers literally hundreds of rifles,shotguns,revolvers and pistols. It goes into pretty great depth on the Luger to include the mainspring. And mentions the same situation you just described.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #135706 - 20/05/09 03:58 AM

Checkman,like you i also had this urge or craze to own a Luger and a Mauser broomhandle and managed to get both.I have shot the Luger many times and found it to be incredibly accurate.I also got a lot of info.on this weapon at www.lugerforum.com.Hope you enjoy the weapons as much i do.

Checkman
.333 member

Re: I finally own a Luger [Re: iqbal]
      #135926 - 22/05/09 10:31 AM

Well I took the Luger to the firing range today. It is a very accurate handgun. I fired it at 10, 15 and 25 yards and it's accuracy was impressive. It's a 93 year old pistol and it rivals my Glock 19, Glock 26, Sig 228 and Browning Hi-Power. It actually surpassed my Glocks.

But the magazine is old and worn. It won't seat properly and I was getting failure to feed and fail to eject. Fortunately that is an easy fix and I've already ordered a new magazine. I took it apart and the extractor is in good shape. So is the firing pin and main spring. So right now I'm going with the magazine.

But when it was functioning it was impressive. It's a little different with the toggle action though. I am used to the more traditional Browning style slide action pistol. The balance and the way the pistol feels when being fired was very interesting.

9.3x57
.450 member

#135929 - 22/05/09 11:24 AM

Our Luger outshot all other pistols on the 200 meter gong. They have a trigger pull that feels like dragging a cinderblock across the shop floor with your index finger, but even that disability didn't stop it from being the ne plus ultra of nail-driving sidearms.

Checkman, you are really doing me a deep injustice.

I want my Luger back!

--------------------

Checkman
.333 member

#135956 - 22/05/09 11:46 PM

Several years ago I came to the conclusion that I didn't want any more "new" handguns. I had my Glocks, Sigs, and recently manufactured S&W revolvers, Browning Buckmark and a Browning Hi-Power. I realized that the older specimens had become more interesting to me. Even if some of them have "issues" that just made them more interesting. I guess I have moved into the realm of gunownership as a hobby. Or an obsession. Not real sure.

9.3x57
.450 member

#135961 - 23/05/09 12:15 AM

Quote:

Several years ago I came to the conclusion that I didn't want any more "new" handguns. I had my Glocks, Sigs, and recently manufactured S&W revolvers, Browning Buckmark and a Browning Hi-Power. I realized that the older specimens had become more interesting to me. Even if some of them have "issues" that just made them more interesting. I guess I have moved into the realm of gunownership as a hobby. Or an obsession. Not real sure.

Interesting.

And some of the old ones will do stuff the new ones won't.

Case in point are my Tokarevs. I have no particular zeal for the history of them, but as far as finding a light, flat, easy to carry, reliable and long-lasting pistol with VERY unique and effective caliber/cartridge is concerned, there is nothing like it.

Mine has gone with me over hundreds of miles of ski and snowshoe jaunts and hikes and such.

The Luger is another one, in either 7.65 or 9, nothing like it in grip form combined with accuracy. GREAT field pistols for small game and varmints.

--------------------

Checkman
.333 member

#135985 - 23/05/09 06:38 AM

This is off topic somewhat but I also like older shotguns. Winchesters aren't real cheap but I do own a Model 12 Trap Gun from 1955 that I'm fond of. I also have a 1950's Ithaca Model 37 Lightweight Field gun and a Remington Model 31 duck gun that I inherited. They've all been used but not abused. I like them. Like the Luger the quality of workmanship that went into those old shotguns is impressive.

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
      #136414 - 30/05/09 05:12 PM

:^) :^) Every pistol man needs a luger. It's another one of the classics. Congratulations on your find.

Checkman
.333 member

Re: I finally own a Luger [Re: dale]
      #140615 - 15/08/09 10:18 AM

Quote:

:^) :^) Every pistol man needs a luger. It's another one of the classics. Congratulations on your find.

Thanks. I'm still pleased after a couple months. See my latest post regarding the Manuhrin MR-73 that I just got hold of. Another find that I never expected to come across. At least not in the state of Idaho.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #142458 - 21/09/09 09:44 PM

I too am a fan of the Luger and have two in 9mm and two in 7.65mm.

I have a great shooter that I plan to sell in the near future.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #142469 - 22/09/09 04:52 AM

My father's best friend brought a Luger back with him after WWII; I knew a good thing when I saw it, so I always wanted one too (should have bought one in the 1960s when they were available for around $60., but didn't. Bought one a few years ago, and love it. What design, and what workmanship! I also have a .455 Webley, and like it too, but Lugers are like diamonds, in my opinion.

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
      #143027 - 02/10/09 09:09 AM

Quote:

But the magazine is old and worn. It won't seat properly and I was getting failure to feed and fail to eject. Fortunately that is an easy fix and I've already ordered a new magazine. I took it apart and the extractor is in good shape. So is the firing pin and main spring. So right now I'm going with the magazine.

But when it was functioning it was impressive. It's a little different with the toggle action though. I am used to the more traditional Browning style slide action pistol. The balance and the way the pistol feels when being fired was very interesting.

I have found that Luger's don't like under powered ammo ,I had one dated 1921 ,it hated target ammo with a vengeance but ,load it with PMC mil spec ammo and it functioned flawlessly .

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: I finally own a Luger [Re: darwinmauser]
      #143373 - 09/10/09 12:21 PM

Went into my favorite gunshop today on my weekly visit. He was loaded with Lugars. Artillery ,a couple of Navies,a new Swiss model and one S42 with a 'G' date which I put on layaway. It is about 90% but a couple of mismatched numbers that keep it from being a super bargain. Price was $800. The new Swiss was particularly nice but at ,I believe, $2800 a little above my reach. Haven't had a nice Lugar in a long time so it is welcome. Magazine matches but I think it is faked as the body looks brand new and the aluminum base doesn't look right. Still an exceptionally nice original finish gun.

ChrisPer
.300 member

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: I finally own a Luger [Re: zimhunter]
      #143385 - 09/10/09 08:53 PM

Yes they are like diamonds for workmanship but I found mine (DWM 1916) did not have the kind of balance I like; with the shorter barrels the centre of mass is inside the grip, almost every other handgun has the weight forward which assists swing and stability.

Checkman
.333 member

Re: I finally own a Luger [Re: ChrisPer]
      #145380 - 08/11/09 11:50 AM

The P08 Luger has some physical features that I don't necessarily care for. If I'm comparing my GLOCK 19 and my Luger strictly on the basis of duty or tactical aspects the G19 will win, hands down, everytime.

But I didn't buy my Luger, Webley Mk VI and (hopefully - one day) Mauser C96 Broomhandle based on everyday tactical/carry considerations. Those handguns are classics and just have something about them. I own a couple GLOCKS, a Ruger GP100 a Browning Buckmark and a S&W Model 49 Bodyguard for real world issues. The older models are collector pieces. My toys I suppose.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4850

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com