Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: roebuck season 09

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
roebuck season 09
      #132667 - 18/04/09 07:45 AM

well it is about that time of the year again, the brits allready have their season going, and the danish season is less than a month away.
so this tread is for all of our roebuck's big or small hunted and shot this season 2009.

have fun out there.

best regards

peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: peter]
      #132685 - 18/04/09 12:04 PM

Best of luck to all of you lucky enough to be doing so...can't wait to see the photos...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

svaneknop
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: Ripp]
      #134869 - 09/05/09 01:16 AM

This is how roebucks look in the north western part of England this year.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: svaneknop]
      #134872 - 09/05/09 01:24 AM

Vice nice!!!

Give us some details of the hunt; range shot, rifle, load, etc.

Mange tak for det!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #134896 - 09/05/09 08:57 AM

Weidmannsheil!
(or the Danish equivalent which I don't know )

peter
removed

Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #134925 - 09/05/09 06:54 PM

svaneknop

what a toad you got there, congratulations.

please tell us about the stalk etc. do you have more pictures of him then it would be much appriciated.

weidsmannsheil(we use it in denmark as well, jabali. or just tillykke)

best regards

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

#134942 - 09/05/09 10:37 PM

I gotta admit, I have a thing for rådyr. Great animals.

I wonder how many years a fellow would get in the clink in Cottonwood for sneaking in a few dozen and dumping them into the woods and mountains of Idaho!!? Might be small and sneaky enough to dodge the wolves they've dumped on us!!

Keep them coming, fellows!

And Peter a glass of mead to your upcoming season, too!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

peter
removed

#134943 - 09/05/09 11:26 PM

thanks rod

if the swedish numbers are anything to go by then i think you would be feeding the bobcats and wolfes and the cougar, not getting anything out of your work. just come to scandinavia and hunt them

best

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

#134945 - 10/05/09 12:41 AM

Quote:

thanks rod

if the swedish numbers are anything to go by then i think you would be feeding the bobcats and wolfes and the cougar, not getting anything out of your work. just come to scandinavia and hunt them

best

peter

Sounds like the best plan!

What's going on in Sweden, wolves hammering them??

--------------------

peter
removed

#134947 - 10/05/09 01:24 AM

yep

that and bobcat(lynx) is taking its toll as well, pop. is getting to the point that if wolf and lynx is present, then forget about hunting them as you will eradicate them quickly.

best

peter

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #134961 - 10/05/09 06:01 AM

They are sure taking there part of them, not to mention the foxes that likes the smaller ones.

Here around they are quite at normal numbers, for now anyway, but it starts to change here also.
I wonder if not the increasing boars are invalved in it also.

Nice set of horns one that one svaneknop, what are you feeding them.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

peter
removed

Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: 450_366]
      #135508 - 17/05/09 03:40 AM

yes yes yes

16 may roebuck season starts in denmark, and my newphew had asked if he could come out with me(he is 11) i agreed at once without asking his mother( major mistake, but got sorted in the end)

so i picked him up yesterday(friday) and he slept at our place, we rose at 3:00 AM and drove the 45 min south from my place to the forest, where i am part of the syndicate, that rents it.

we have had beautiful weather for month or more but that desided to change overnight with strong winds rain and temps in the 6-8 celcius, it was bone chilling cold.

we went into my part of the forest, and started to stalk around, and after 15 minutes a buck presented itself, but alas it was to small for my taste this early in the season. so we saluted him and went deeper into the forest.

next option came and went in a flash, as the buck came chrashing through the woods at top speed, i had the hollis 12 bore with me and swung through the buck as he went by only to discover that he to was to young as well.

by now the rain were almost flushing my 90 pound newphew out to see, so we went back to the hunting cabin to dry out a bit, and see if the weather would change anytime soon. it wouldent so i desided to call it a day, much to my newphews dismay.

i had a plan B off course, so we jumped back in the car and drove 1,5 hours to my inlaws place, where there were less rain and a lot warmer, so we sat and watched a a field for about 20 minutes when a couple of roe's appared, and then 2 more. well no self respecting roebuck could leave these fine ladies alone, so after 5 minutes he came trotting along, really full of himself and not realising that we were there as well. (terminal mistake)

we stalked a bit closer and i let the shot fly at 50 meter's, the buck caught the bullet just in front of the shoulder, with the exit just behind the opposite shoulder and just toppled over dead.

i must admit this were one of the better days, out stalking with the next generation and he loved every minute of it and cant wait until next time.

i hope to get back out there tommorow.

i will be back later

peter

peter
removed

#135512 - 17/05/09 03:48 AM

pictures of two other bucks taken at the syndicate this morning.

good six pointer for the area

another decent buck

9.3x57
.450 member

#135528 - 17/05/09 06:25 AM

Nice job, Peter!! I've been waiting for this report!

Looks like some very nice roedeer.

1,5 hours away...

Not sure where that brings you, but if it is anywhere near Bromme og Munkebjergby, you are getting close to where my greatgrandmother was born. Would be nice to know you tagged a buck near the ancestral home!!

She was a Rasmussen {she used the masculine form, not Rasmusdatter}.

Anyway, very nice bucks.

My son and I are green with envy!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#135530 - 17/05/09 06:49 AM

PS: What is that on the left main tine tip on yours?

He been fighting and broke it, or is that velvet?

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #135532 - 17/05/09 07:09 AM

Ducktejp

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: 450_366]
      #135544 - 17/05/09 01:13 PM

Nice pictures and very interesting info. I'm surprised to see that the roe deer are already in hard horn. Our deer species here are still at basically the start of the horn (antler) growing season, and will be dropping fawns and calves soon. I would have expected to see that more like in the southern hemisphere at this time of year.
When do the roe deer drop their fawns? Are the other deer species there, fallow, red, etc early like the roe too, or are they still in velvet like ours here? When do the roe deer rut (breed)? Shed their horns?How long is your huntin season?
Sorry for so many questions,interesting little deer though!

peter
removed

#135548 - 17/05/09 06:06 PM

Quote:

PS: What is that on the left main tine tip on yours?

He been fighting and broke it, or is that velvet?

rod

it is velvet, sometimes they dont get it completly off and it hardens like leather.

my syndicate forest lies just east of horbelev on falster, about 45 min driving south from me, and my in laws farm lies near kirke værløse about 45 min north from me, so from the syndicate to my in laws 1,5 hours driving.

best

peter

peter
removed

Re: roebuck season 09 [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #135550 - 17/05/09 06:24 PM

Quote:

Nice pictures and very interesting info. I'm surprised to see that the roe deer are already in hard horn. Our deer species here are still at basically the start of the horn (antler) growing season, and will be dropping fawns and calves soon. I would have expected to see that more like in the southern hemisphere at this time of year.
When do the roe deer drop their fawns? Are the other deer species there, fallow, red, etc early like the roe too, or are they still in velvet like ours here? When do the roe deer rut (breed)? Shed their horns?How long is your huntin season?
Sorry for so many questions,interesting little deer though!

dont worry about to many questions, i like to talk about roedeer

roedeer are special in that they start early in the year with the breeding season which in denmark lies in july to august, so hard antlered from april most of the time(i did see a buck in full velvet yesterday)

the fawning is going on right now, and i have seen a few fawns allready.

our fallow, red stag and sika follow the normal rules in the northern hemisphere, so in the growing fase now and in hard antler august with the roar coming in late august/september.

roebuck shed their antlers around oktober and start growing again in late december.

danish hunting season is: roebuck only: 16/5-15/7
: all roedeer : 1/10-15/1

the season on the rest of our deer is: all stags: 1/9-31/1
all deer : 1/10-31/1

the roebuck summer hunting is very special to me

best regards

peter

peter
removed

Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: peter]
      #135849 - 21/05/09 06:23 PM

and the neverending saga goes on.

Last evening i desided that i needed a small break from the kids and horses(been riding scoop for a few hours to entertain him and me)

so i stalked a few hundred meters to a chair i have overlooking a small clearing, and i just sat down and enjoyed the peace and quite of the forest.

it only took half an hour and a small roe came out and started feeding around the clearing, when there is one there is usually more so i just sat there, looking at her.

10- minutes later another came along again a roe, but she kept looking over her back at the forest so i knew that the buck were in there, looking out and making sure that no evil were around.

well he should have looked a bit more because when he cleared the forest and came onto my land, i aimed for his shoulder and let the bullet fly, now im used to the buck falling over when i shoot them, but i had taken niickys steyr SL 223 that evening and the buck reacted as hit by a heart bullet but started on a dead run back into the forest.

And he was gone.

i sat there for awhile, second guessing myself, and going over the shot in my mind. after a smoke i rose and went to the place where i shot at him and found no blood trail or anything, since the buck went on another mans proberty, i couldent go in there.
luckly in denmark we have an official org. called the sweisshound reg. and i called the nearest one in my area, by then it was dusk and he said that it would be dark before he could be around, would i mind it if we started this morning at 7:00 i agreed to this and he arrived promtly at seven with his drathhairs, we went to the point of the shooting, and he let his dog search the area it struck the trail at once and after about 50 meters the buck were found.

i was so relived when i saw that the shot was a good one and he was dead on his feet when i saw him, he just needed some meters to realise that.

so all is well that ends well, i payed the sweeishund handler his price of 15 $ and gave him a tip of a 100$ because of a job well done.

best regards

peter

Edited by peter (21/05/09 06:24 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #135854 - 21/05/09 08:38 PM

I have never shot a Roe Peter, what about an invite Lovely pics, thx, best, Mike

peter
removed

Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #135856 - 21/05/09 08:54 PM

Quote:

I have never shot a Roe Peter, what about an invite Lovely pics, thx, best, Mike

that we have to remedy asap, you can either come to denmark or you can come out stalking with me and a friend, when im in england for the sales.
PM me and we can work something out.

best regards

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

#135869 - 21/05/09 11:20 PM

Ah, another one!!

Nice job Peter!

Hey, speaking of blood trackers.........

Great news; my proposal to the Idaho Firsh and Game Department has been advanced to the official "scoping" stage. This means it was accpeted for review internally and with the public. All involved have so far been very curious and asked lots of questions which I've answered to the best of my ability. So far so good. They modified it a bit, adding only that tracking must be done during legal shooting hours and must begin within 72 hours of the shot.

I am very hopeful my proposal will be accepted and a rule change created for the 2010 hunting season.

Anyway, glad to know the blood tracker got it.

BTW: I thought you had a blood tracking dog yourself?

--------------------

peter
removed

Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) ) [Re: 9.3x57]
      #135886 - 22/05/09 12:43 AM

rod

im glad it looks like your proposal is getting some sunshine, i really hope for your state, that it will pass, it is such a wonderfull tool to have.

yes i have a blood tracker myself:

but we are not reg. as a team yet, as he is to young and i let my certificate lapse for the time being, which means that i cant go after the animal unless it is on my own proberty, as soon as it crossed the border, the game was up.

best

peter

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #136010 - 23/05/09 07:38 PM

Nice shooting Peter!!

I haven`t been out yet, work has really caught me from all sides( arbejdsramt)..hahaha

I`ll pick up my .303 rigby in early june, and from there on I`Ll go for a stalk or two...

Knæk & Bræk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11804

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com