Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Data on soldering

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Data on soldering
      #125003 - 24/01/09 06:27 AM

This is some info that I posted on another BBS but I thought it might be of interest to a few participants here, given what goes on in the shops and basements of some participants here.

The only American guns that I can speak to are the Stevens 311’s and the Fox Model B. All of those which I’ve worked on were oven brazed. I’ve been told that some of the 311’s were soft soldered but I have not personally encountered any.

The majority of the cheaper Spanish guns like Laurona, Zabala, Gorosabel, etc., are oven brazed.

I was recently given the barrels from two old Belgian klunkers that were being scrapped. I thought to salvage the top and bottom ribs for future use, as I assumed that these guns were soft soldered. It turned out that they were oven brazed and even with the pre-heating flame of my oxy-acetylene cutting torch, I could not do it. I had the steel beyond cherry red, virtually to incandescent, and those brazed ribs would not even begin to come loose.

AmarilloMike; True silver solder has a silver content above 50%, as a rule. That’s why the darned stuff is SO expensive. Many soft solders have very small amounts of silver and other metals added to them to increase strength, modify flow temperature, etc, but that does not make them silver solders. Both the American and the Canadian Welding Societies classify soft solders as those which melt below 800F.

Here are a few facts for those few who may be interested:

Eutectic solder(62%lead/38% tin), melts at 361F.

50/50 tin/lead solder melts at 420F.

TIX(tin/antimony) melts at 275F and has a strength of 4000psi.

Brownell’s Hi-Force 44 solder (4% silver/96% tin) flows at 475F and has a strength of between 14,000 and 28,000 psi.

Brownell’s Hi-Temp, Hi-Force 44 solder (5% silver/ 95% cadmium) flows at 650F and has a strength of 38,000 psi.

Silvaloy, (a true silver solder), contains 56% silver and flows at 1205F.

Brazing metals (copper/zinc/tin alloys) melt at between 1300F and 2150F.

A few things worth noting are that it takes two to three times the heat to make a proper silver solder joint as it does to make a proper soft solder joint. Those numbers go up to four to six times as much if we’re talking about true brazing. Also, there is a difference, sometimes a fairly considerable one, between the temperature at which an alloy melts and the temperature at which it FLOWS. Watch for the latter when you’re buying solder, as it’s the important number.
Also, the numbers shown for strength are contingent upon a clean properly fluxed, and close fitting joint. If any one of those things is ignored, these numbers go right out the window.

Edited by ronvella (24/01/09 09:59 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Data on soldering [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #125005 - 24/01/09 08:09 AM

Thats usefull inforation, thanks. When one starts looking after solder there is a whole lot of different ones indeed.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
      #125549 - 31/01/09 10:31 PM

Excellent ronvella,

Good post and very relevant to anyone who wants to solder, soft or hard. Very good idea to point out the difference from the melting point to the flowing point too.

Regards

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

450_366
.400 member

Re: Data on soldering [Re: alexbeer]
      #125550 - 31/01/09 11:13 PM

What would you recomend to solder a shoelump, wire or sheet? and what flux do you use?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

alexbeer
.333 member

Re: Data on soldering [Re: 450_366]
      #125747 - 03/02/09 04:28 PM

Andreas,

I use a wire. Although I see no reason why ribbon shouldn’t be just as good. Maybe it’s better. I just guess I’m happy with what I am using, and I’m a great believer in “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! But one day I will try it. Time.

The silver brazing wire I use is a Bohler product, UTP306M. It has a 55% silver content, flows at 650 C (1202 F) and has a tensile strength of 430 MPA (62,366 PSI)

The flux is just a common low temperature silver brazing flux paste with a working range of 575-825 C (1067-1517 F)

I clean the joint, flux it and twitch the barrels, shoe-lump and top extension components in their respective places with 1/8” mild steel wire. Then the alignment is double checked on the machine plate with parallel bars and the muzzles measured with a micrometer to make sure the initial convergence is still right. When I'm happy with the set-up, generous amounts of silver brazing wire are laid on the joint and the breech end of the assembly is carefully slid into my pre-heated brazing furnace till the braze flows. Because my joints are well fitted, well cleaned and heated correctly, when it is all up to the right temperature, the solder flows and capillary action draws the silver braze through the entire joint.

There are a number of silver brazes available on today’s market (see ronvella’s comment above on true silver solder/braze), and if the one chosen is from a reputable manufacturer and it has the correct temperature and strength properties, provided the joint is fitted properly and it’s clean, one silver braze shouldn’t be vastly superior to another.

The most important things with this process are,
The joint MUST be fitted correctly.
The joint MUST be clinically clean before the flux is applied.
The assembly MUST be properly secured together during heating.
It simply MUST be heated correctly and evenly, defiantly NOT over-heated. An oxy/acetylene torch is NOT the way to do this joint!

If someone was to ignore these basic yet vital points when silver brazing a shoe-lump joint, or any other important joint for that matter, they are on their own.

Once again I’ve gotten a little long winded, but I trust it has helped.

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

alexbeer
.333 member

#125748 - 03/02/09 04:34 PM

I have one to do in the next week or so, I'll post some photo's

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

450_366
.400 member

#125753 - 03/02/09 08:02 PM

Great, looking forward on the pictures, i was thinking on using wire as it seemed hard to clamp the parts together with the sheet, as it would come loose as soon as the solder starts flowing. But as i had seen a couple of lumps that had the sheet installed prior to heating i was curious how it worked. Many thanks and it wasnt a to long explenation at all.

--------------------
Andreas

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#125775 - 04/02/09 04:21 AM

Alex makes some excellent points above that I'd like to expand upon a bit. Solder, whether soft or hard, flows towards the heat. The proper way to solder, and many never learn this art, is NOT to stick the solder into the flame. You continue to heat the parts until when you touch the solder to the parts, out of the flame, the solder melts and flows, by capillary action, into all of the crevices in the joint, to its very core. This holds true whether you're soldering half-inch copper pipe with 50/50, or whether you're building a double rifle with silvaloy! What this means is that if you expect the solder to flow right to the centre of a shoelump, or a chopper lump, or whatever, then the centre of that assembly MUST BE at least as hot as the exterior.

While it is not impossible, it is EXTREMELY difficult to accomplish this with a hand-held oxy-acetylene torch. What is even more difficult is to achieve that interior heat without bringing the exterior to a temperature at which the properties of the steel are negatively affected and degraded. That's why Alex uses a brazing furnace! He can set a given, safe temperature, at which he knows his solder alloy will flow, introduce the parts to be joined, and wait and watch until those parts become heated through, uniformly, and the silver solder flows into the joints. There are men around who have the eye and the experience to do this with a torch, but they are few and far between, and their skill borders on whizardry! Please, don't ask the guy down at the corner, who builds utility trailers for a living, to do this job for you.

Now I'll get off my soap box!

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #125787 - 04/02/09 08:11 AM

Alex

Do you use an anti scale compound in the barrels? Or am I just over cautious ?

For those reading this that may not know, the re-melt temp of the alloys is often far higher than the initial melt and if you screw up then it may not be possible to part the components without altering the temper of the barrels.

Regards

mete
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/08
Loc: NY
Re: Data on soldering [Re: Bramble]
      #125791 - 04/02/09 10:48 AM

Fit is very important .The alloys flow through the joint by capillary action! Strength is also dependant on fit .Ideally the clearance should be .003" for best capillary flow and for strength. Take the time to fit it correctly.
Eutectic type solders go directly from solid to liquid without any 'mushy' stage.Cadmium solders are as toxic as lead solders.To solder stainless steel use 96Sn4Ag and use a flux designed for stainless.This type of solder is also food safe so use it to fix your wife's pots !!

alexbeer
.333 member

#125792 - 04/02/09 11:01 AM

Bramble,

Yes I do.

As you know scaling is basically the forming of oxides on the metal's surface when it is heated. The temprature 1200F is a dull red colour and with anything around that lowish heat it is possible, but not very probable to get some slight scaling.

I don't want to chance having any scaling, no matter how slight. So although I only go to just over 1205F, I use an anti scale paste in the first half of the bores and in the chambers (even though they are not cut to full depth yet).

I am proberbly being some-what over cautious as well, but I can live with that

Once the temprature of 1300-1400F is exceeded how-ever, scaling is almost guarenteed, particulally if hand held oxy/acyetlene is used as the heat source. Now a vacuum furnace, that would be nice, no scaling.

Excellent comment on the re-melt temprature too! Hope it helps others to understand more why they struggle to remove the ribs on some guns.

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #125801 - 04/02/09 01:11 PM

Great info in this post. I'll throw in my two cents, for what it's worth. For the soldering at higher temperature, silver soldering and brazing, plan your work well in order to spend as little time at temperature as possible. Exposure to high temperature over time leads to grain growth in the steel (i.e. you start losing yield strength).

alexbeer
.333 member

Re: Data on soldering [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #125803 - 04/02/09 01:53 PM

Another good point SharpsNitro. Very valid too!

This is getting better and better.

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

450_366
.400 member

#125851 - 05/02/09 05:56 AM

If one is using a vacuum owen, would if take care of the need for anti scaling paste?

--------------------
Andreas

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #125866 - 05/02/09 09:41 AM

Yes, no O2 no scaling and no fluxing.

450_366
.400 member

#125943 - 06/02/09 03:45 AM

Great, then the only problem is to find a vacuum oven thats a bit bigger then the dentists.

BTW. Would it be possible to flood a ordinary oven with nitrogen to avoid scaling?

--------------------
Andreas

alexbeer
.333 member

#127951 - 24/02/09 10:44 PM

As promised ladies and gentlemen, some photos on the brazing of a shoe-lump.
This one is a new set of barrels for a Westley Richards 500NE.

The initial fitted pieces

Fit and alignment double checked (the barrels are chambered to approx .030" short)

Totally cleaned, fluxed and bound together, with the silver braze wire laid on the top only ( I hope you can see it there) Anti scale paste has been applied to the chambers and the first half of the bores.

In the furnace, getting up to just over 650C (1202F) the flow temp of the braze

Out of the furnace after cooling, a bit ugly but it will clean up fine

In these last two you can see (after a quick clean-up) the silver braze has gone through the entire joint. Remember the silver braze wire was only laid on the top of the assembley. Once the assembley was up to the correct temp, the braze melted and capillary action drew the braze right through the joint.

Now all I have to do is clean it up properly, fit it to the action, fit the dolls head, bore the hole for the extractor leg, form and fit the extractors, deepen the chambers and set the headspace, form and fit the fore-end loop, the spacers, the wedge assembley, the ribs, put it all together and regulate it. Dosn't sound like much if you say it fast, does it?

Regards

ALEX

www.alexbeer.com

Edited by CptCurl (26/02/09 01:12 PM)

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#127960 - 25/02/09 12:35 AM

Great stuff Alex, many thanks. I'd sure like to own your setup!

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#127968 - 25/02/09 04:50 AM

Looks like it turned out really well. For curiosity, could you tell me a few of the dimensions? What are: the OD of the barrels at the breech, the axial length of the shoe and the center-to-center distance of the chambers. Thanks.

450_366
.400 member

#127973 - 25/02/09 05:46 AM

Nice looking job indeed, i look forward to see the whole lot completed and fitted to the action tomorrow.

--------------------
Andreas

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #127975 - 25/02/09 05:57 AM

All I can say is WOW! & then - What a wonderful job! Perfect joints - well done!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

alexbeer
.333 member

Re: Data on soldering [Re: DarylS]
      #128007 - 25/02/09 11:55 AM

Thank you for your kind words gentlemen. It went well. I’m very pleased with the results on this one so far. It's always a relief when it all works out as planned.

Ronvella,
At times I’d like more tooling and machinery too, and although you say “I'd sure like to own your setup”, I think you do superb work with the gear you already have. It’s not necessarily the equipment and tools on hand that makes the difference. I think the mind set of the person doing the work plays a hugely important roll in this sort of thing. Many great things have been done by people who didn’t realize that it was impossible or who refused to accept that “it can’t be done”.

SharpsNitro,
The dimensions you asked for, in inches:
The OD of the barrels at the breech: 1.200” (Gives a wall thickness of 0.312”)
The length of the shoe-lump: 3.350”
The center-to-center of the chambers: 1.050”

450/366,
Somehow “tomorrow” seems a little too soon, don’t want to rush these things you know . It has now been totally cleaned up, excess silver braze cleaned off and the whole assembley polished to 240 grit. The lumps have been roughed to shape and the hook measured out and marked in. To date there have been some 38 odd hours spent. Smoke, scrape, check, smoke scrape check etc takes time. Like we have discussed previously on this thread, this type of thing must be done correctly, no short cuts.

Daryl S,
I may be too pedantic with this sort of work. I will often measure too many times, and then check them again , I'll do plenty of trial set-ups, and sometimes I’ll just sit and think while I look at the job for a while, just to make sure I’m happy with everything before I cut, braze, mill or shape etc. But I can live with that. It usually pays off. Certainly has this time!

Thanks again gentlemen.

Best regards

ALEX

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #128009 - 25/02/09 12:11 PM

Remarkable work!
Looks like your method of laying the solder along the rib works perfectly for a shoe lump.
I imagine soldering up a monoblock may be a bit more tricky and it may be impossible to use an oven to do so.
Are monoblocks usually soldered using a torch and hand feeding in the solder instead?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#128019 - 25/02/09 01:43 PM

Thanks for the dimensions. Please keep posting updates as you go, it's fun watching a project like that take shape.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #128028 - 25/02/09 05:33 PM

Ron,
You are doing a magic job on that double!
I bet you are very happy with the way it's coming together.
Very nicely done, and thanks for the great photos and write up.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6114

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com