Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fabarm O & U 9.3 x 74

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Fabarm O & U 9.3 x 74
      #122581 - 30/12/08 12:19 AM

G'Day all,
I put a deposit down today on a Fabarm 9.3 x 74 O & U DR. I had looked at these previously but at the time could only afford the Baikal. I'm not that keen on the "shiny/futuristic" look but the finish sure is better than the Baikal. The high vis sights should help my aging eyes and hopefully I might not need a scope. Have any members out there had experience with this rifle and if so what are your feelings on their performance?

All the best and good shooting, Ian.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Re: Fabarm O & U 9.3 x 74 [Re: watto]
      #122650 - 30/12/08 07:53 PM

watto. I have not seen you for a while. Yes, I have been shooting a Fabarm Asper for a while now and have had no problems with it other than the open sights shoot 4" low at 50 yards for me. No more adjustment in the front sight. The rear sight has a metric (I believe it is called) base which is nearly a half inch dovetail. Try finding a replacement sight with a dovetail that wide. With a scope it shoots well with 286 grn woodleigh PP with a good does of 2209. I had a selector switch fitted to mine so that I can select either barrel. I hear the 500 is up for sale. A bit big is it. Enjoy the Fabarm, they are quite good.

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: Fabarm O & U 9.3 x 74 [Re: 450]
      #122656 - 31/12/08 01:00 AM

G'day Wayne, nice to hear from you again. No worries with the .500, the only problem is once the word spread in our area that I had it all the ele's took off, I haven't seen one since. But seriously
speaking it was getting so little use it was just being wasted. I only have so much time at home and I can't get around to shooting everything. If I lived on your side of Melbourne, or even nearer to Melbourne then the BGRC would be an option, but I am a bit far away for that. I am going to put the .500 on the rack at Tim's in the next couple of weeks so I might even catch up with you.

All the best and good shooting, Ian.

richo01
.224 member

Reged: 16/01/09
Loc: Australia
Re: Fabarm O & U 9.3 x 74 [Re: watto]
      #124391 - 18/01/09 10:16 AM

Dear All,

Could you tell me where I can source some 9.3x74r brass here in Australia , also what bullets and powders have you tried that is accurate in both barrels. Receipies will be most appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

.300 member

Re: Fabarm O & U 9.3 x 74 [Re: richo01]
      #124412 - 18/01/09 07:23 PM

richo01

I would try McDonalds Guns in footscray, (Tim, 03-96871680) (RWS) or Bertram Bullets of Seymour, Vic. You will find them on the Web. You are looking at about $3.00 a case. I do not know if hornady cases are in the country yet. McDonalds do have loaded rounds. In my Fabarm I am using 286 grain Woodlieghs (either PP or RN) with 63 grains 2209. (These loads are safe in my rifle, so please start a couple of grains under and work up) You will need to try various loads until you get them regulated. A mate of mine tried the above bullets with 61.5 grains as his first load and it grouped 1" at 50 yards. You can get lucky. By the way what part of the country are you from.

Wayne

--------------------

richo01
.224 member

#124479 - 19/01/09 07:54 AM

Hi Wayne,

Many thanks for this info ... I shall give Tim a call or else will try Bertram to source some brass. I have a couple of other questions for you mate; (a) where can I purchase a scope mount for the Asper do you know how much they cost (b) does the rifle allow the user to perform barrel regulation? and if so can you briefly outlinethis for me - not entirely savy with this concept. (c)what type of scope do you have on your baby? if not would you please recommend one for me.

I live in Mulgrave (SE suburb of Melbourne) and work in the city - COllins street. Feel free to call (0417542879) at anytime for a chat. Incidentally where are you located ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
Richard

.300 member

#124515 - 19/01/09 06:47 PM

richo01

A scope mount maybe available from Mcdonalds and they are somewhere around $500.00 I believe. As the rifle comes, the only way that you can regulate the barrels is trial and error. By this i mean trying various loads until one is found where both barrels shoot together at the selected range. I have regulated my loads at 100 yards. I have a redfield 1.5 to 5 on my rifle. I also use the open sights in competition. The factory rear sight shoots about 4" low for me at 50 yards, so I am having a custom rear sight fitted. The front sight is adjustable, but there was not enough adjustment to bring my shots up. I live in Melton. McDonalds have not got any cases, but Victoria Arms in Melbourne have a couple of hundred Norma cases at about $2.60 per case.

Wayne

--------------------

richo01
.224 member

#131699 - 07/04/09 11:05 AM

Dear Folk's

Could any of you tell me the how i can remove scratch marks from the stock of my Fabarm Asper. They are minor surface scratches but seem extremely challenging to remove. I have tried stock rubbing compound (CCL) andd also stock conditioning to no avail. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Cheers
Richard

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
      #131718 - 07/04/09 06:26 PM

If the stock is oil finished (not varnished), steaming will remove scratches and minor dings. Afterwards, some light sanding (to remove the raised fibers) and then a coat if oil will restore the original looks.

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

richo01
.224 member

Re: Fabarm O & U 9.3 x 74 [Re: André]
      #131755 - 08/04/09 07:49 AM

Thanks Andrea,

I have a feeling that the stock is very much like a weatherby stock (shinny) and very much glossy in finish. The scratches are more surface scratches which 'theoritically' should be able to be buffed out; however I am not aware of any product that will do this. Further suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Richard

jwm
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/08
Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #132265 - 14/04/09 09:24 AM

richo01,

Be careful with any attempts to repair the finish on that Asper. They are available with both an oiled finish as well as a "dipped" type of finish that is supposed to enhance the appearance of woodgrain. I got one recently and had to order it in to avoid this new type of finish. Apparently marks and scratches that penetrate the "film" on the stock are difficult or impossible to work on without stripping the whole thing off. This warning came from a local woodworker that has experience with this process. I feel much more comfortable with the traditional oil finish, it's easy to touch up.

My gun is very accurate with either barrel, many loads producing groups in the 1-inch range at 100 yards. Too bad the groups from the two barrels don't come closer together. The best two barrel group that I have produced has been about 4 inches, consisting of two very discreet and separate left and right barrel groups. I have been trying to obtain some of the RWS loads that the factory target shows as printing about 2 inches from both barrels, but they are hard to locate in Canuckistan. Time will tell.

John

richo01
.224 member

Re: Fabarm O & U 9.3 x 74 [Re: jwm]
      #132449 - 16/04/09 07:59 AM

Many Thanks John for your information. I tend to agreee with you, perhaps a more traditional stock would have been practical than the one I've got. Mate can you tell me where you got your scope mounts from as they are difficult to obtain from what I have found.

Hope I too can obtain the same results as you with my Asper - right now its not even close; using the Hornady factory loads.

Have a good day
Richard

jwm
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/08
Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #132692 - 18/04/09 02:49 PM

richo01,

The Hornady loads are just about the best grouping factory ammo that I have tried, in my gun at least. I guess it just proves that each gun has individual tastes.

The scope mount is available through The Shooting Edge, a gunstore here in Canada that does a lot of mailorder. I don't know if they will ship outside of the country. Their local shop, Target Sports, has another Asper in stock now, and I believe that they got an extra scope mount in stock when I ordered mine, several months ago. You can contact them, and the next time I stop in I will also check into it and post here.

Good luck with that Fabarm, I'm confident that it will shoot well with the right load.

John

richo01
.224 member

Re: Fabarm O & U 9.3 x 74 [Re: jwm]
      #132824 - 20/04/09 08:05 AM

Hi John, Thank you for this information - particularly with the scope mount - this was getting quite frustrating to say the least. I will contact The Shooting Edge shop in Canada and see how I go, guess there is light at the end of the tunnel. I will keep you posted on progress. Also if there is someting you need fom Oz then please let me know - will be glad to help!

Have a great day.
Richard

richo01
.224 member

#134044 - 01/05/09 07:51 AM

Hi John,

I have checked with shooting edge and they do have a mount in stock ... good news. Thanks to you for helping me locate one after so many months.

Best Wishes!
Richard
Emailid: (richardnainie@optusnet.com.au)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6049

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com