Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Osa Mauser recompense.. PICS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
The Osa Mauser recompense.. PICS
      #121841 - 22/12/08 08:03 AM

It shall be no secret, I wanted that OSA-rifle...but better luck next time for me. ...

However...the guy I bought my 400/350 Rigbymauser from has now an original .303 rigbymauser, takedown rifle also. He wants $6500 for it. ...I know it is a rare gun indeed but, is it just one of those guns that are so rare, that once they emerge, you just grap it and look for money later ??
The .303 rigbymauser is made on an original commercial action, slanted box magazine, takedown....all in canvas case..original too.

Somebody talk some sense into me

Edited by rigbymauser (22/12/08 08:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: The Osa Mauser recompense.. [Re: rigbymauser]
      #121844 - 22/12/08 08:14 AM

I feel your pain...
You should buy the Rigby - it will make you feel better.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #121847 - 22/12/08 08:32 AM

Quote:

Somebody talk some sense into me

If you donīt please send him my way!
Seriously...

rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: The Osa Mauser recompense.. [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #121848 - 22/12/08 08:46 AM

I had really decided no more boltaction...then came the Osa...and now this rigby-thing...my head is frying ...also because I have a nice paradoxrifle on hand too. Life is hard sometimes..but I never expected this hard...

Edited by rigbymauser (22/12/08 08:59 AM)

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #121852 - 22/12/08 09:56 AM

Andre: This take down Rigby has been on Norbert's site for a while. What is going on with the surface finish on the left wall of the receiver? Also the finish looks odd on the bolt.

Huvius
.416 member

Re: The Osa Mauser recompense.. [Re: dons]
      #121853 - 22/12/08 10:09 AM

I see Dons is on.
What do you think of this one?
Stock shortened, but otherwise very nice lookin to me. Price seems really good.

http://www.vintagedoubles.com/inventory....mages/988_1.jpg

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: The Osa Mauser recompense.. PICS [Re: rigbymauser]
      #121862 - 22/12/08 10:33 AM

Jens,

Not sure if I can talk sense to you but I can certainly indulge in some villainy. I have an unpublished article on Sporting Mausers sent by a friend in Europe which I would be glad to send you as a pdf document if you want it.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

dons
.333 member

Re: The Osa Mauser recompense.. [Re: Huvius]
      #121866 - 22/12/08 10:46 AM

Huvius: My only comment is...what a shame. A very nice Type B with upgraded wood & Zeiss Zielvier scope at a dirt cheap price. Why would anyone cut almost 2 in. of the butt and add that hideous pad on a 7x57. Concussion level recoil? An alteration like this is irreversible and destroys the value.

Huvius
.416 member

#121867 - 22/12/08 10:54 AM

Pretty much my thoughts too.
A great SB action though, with original Mauser integral ring mounts.
Still worth it I think. Be a great youth or ladies rifle.

--------------------

dons
.333 member

#121870 - 22/12/08 11:14 AM

What I meant by "destroys the value" is "destroys the collector value". I agree, it's still a great deal for the money.

Huvius
.416 member

#121874 - 22/12/08 11:30 AM

Someone buy it before I ruin my domestic tranquility.
Surely, Santa would give me a miss this year if this were to happen...

--------------------

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #121894 - 22/12/08 02:47 PM

That is a great hunting rifle. To heck with collector value. Would you be able to change out that scope?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: The Osa Mauser recompense.. [Re: mickey]
      #121913 - 22/12/08 08:17 PM

rigby mauser, i looks like the 303.setup for a scope ,the handle shoulder looks to be trimmed and the bolt shroud color as we can see is not original ,did it have a sidemount at one time?
i know that the 303. rigby is a rare gun, i have 1 example (not a takedown), i just think that a lot of nice rifles seem to be coming up for sale monte mandarino who had that osa rifle has been coming up with some good stuff, and right now if it hasnt been sold ,he has a TYPE A 7X57 that is real nice

huvius ,that oberndorf buttpad was probably setup for a women same with the osa rifle if you notice ...paul

rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: The Osa Mauser recompense.. [Re: pjaln]
      #121919 - 22/12/08 11:22 PM

I know that particular rifle, might have had a set-up for sidemount, and I see too the boltscroud, might be un-original...but my thinking is this..based on earlier rare encounted iterms, that I have rejected, because one screw didn`t look right. I am gonna keep this rifle for many years, and I know a good gunmaker that can fix it all so nobody can see anything...exept a fine rifle.
Many years ago I passed a Colt Bigframed pumprifle in 50-95. The finish was not original as decribed by the owner, but I was sooo focussed, that it had to be 1000% original. I could have that thing for $2000( 9 years ago). I have passed a Martially maked Colt SAA, because someone have replaced the onepiece walnut grip with stag.
I guess I become more lenient over the years...and that rigbymauser takedown in .303 is a rare duck in the entire ocean + I really have a soft spot for rimmed cartridges, and here is one of the kind. I don`t think that more than a handfull original takedowns, .303 was ever made.

Think of this guys: Imagine this .303 rigbymauser being 100 % original, for sale at puglish Emporium?..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

pjaln
.375 member

#121924 - 23/12/08 01:30 AM

rigbymauser ...looking at the case its in ,it looks like there is an inprint of a side mount rail it almost isnt so bad to maybe fit a sidemount back on to the rifle. there was one listed on GA by roger green with a sidemount and it did look OK. and only because the holes are already there
i have to say the main reason i would pull the trigger on this gun is because the bolt was not altered and cut to go into the stock that is something that cant be fixed ,if i was o buy this gun a quick colod blue on the shroud would make me feel better right away

rigbymauser i give it the thumbs up, its rareer than the average 303. which is pretty rare ...paul

rigbymauser
.400 member

#122091 - 24/12/08 09:30 AM

Quote:

rigbymauser ...looking at the case its in ,it looks like there is an inprint of a side mount rail it almost isnt so bad to maybe fit a sidemount back on to the rifle. there was one listed on GA by roger green with a sidemount and it did look OK. and only because the holes are already there
i have to say the main reason i would pull the trigger on this gun is because the bolt was not altered and cut to go into the stock that is something that cant be fixed ,if i was o buy this gun a quick colod blue on the shroud would make me feel better right away

rigbymauser i give it the thumbs up, its rareer than the average 303. which is pretty rare ...paul

Thanks Paul..

I have now have had the rifle put aside...no longer for sale, unless I decline, which I won`t . Boy I am I glad, I have a corporate account, I can borrow money from, and pay back in 2010 interst free
I most say, I really feel this gun is so rare, it was now or never.

Merry x-mas

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #122325 - 26/12/08 10:44 AM

Congratulations! I was having a look at the photos of that rifle and the serial numbers. A bit of a puzzle, although I am no expert by any means...
It looks to me as tough someone may have started to buff the finish off the left side of the wall - possibly for re-blueing? - but then thought better of it. Can't think why. You're right, something definitely doesn't smell right about the bolt shroud, but maybe the same thing happened there? I don't know, but as you say, I don't think it would bother me... I could see no evidence of a side-mount for a scope in the photos.
I was looking at the Rigby and Mauser serial numbers in Speed's 'original oberndorf' book. It looks like the mauser action is a short-intermediate but following the regular mauser number series, not the special rigby series for these actions. Nothing unusual about that - there are other examples in the book like that. This rifle is not listed in the book - the seller says c.1907 but the Speed serial numbers would suggest 1909. The Rigby serial numbers would suggest that the action was completed by them between May 1909 and August 1912 (this is the date gap in Speeds book). My guess is 1910, possibly 1911. What I find strange is that the rifle is not listed in either the Mauser serial number list (not uncommon) but neither is it in the Rigby S/N list - being a take-down I would have thought that it would have stood out (whereas WR, Jeffery and H&H take-downs do in the book).
A nice find and definitely worth looking at closely! Am interested to hear your thoughts/comments

pjaln
.375 member

Re: The Osa Mauser recompense.. [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #122337 - 26/12/08 02:34 PM

rigbymauser. glad to see you will be pulling the trigger on this , are there better pics posted somewhere , iwould like to see closeups ,is there a site where this gun is for sale .. thanks ..paul

rigbymauser
.400 member

#122360 - 26/12/08 09:45 PM

Scroll halfway down.. Then just click on the first small picture, and then go from there...So far it looks "Right". Been looking at "mausers"(like crazy) for the last days or so, there are some mausers made with that type of bolthandle too.

http://www.feine-jagdwaffen.de/cms/index.php?id=17,0,0,1,0,0

Mauserserie# 23111 made in 1907-08 according to the Mauserbible
Rigby serie# 3448 Looks correct too compared with other rigbynumbers.

I am on my way to our "winterlodge" for the next few days. Jon Speed + Mr Robertson of London get a buzz here in the new year.

Let the chips fall....

Edited by rigbymauser (26/12/08 10:18 PM)

pjaln
.375 member

#122383 - 27/12/08 07:40 AM

thatbolt handle started of life as a typical oberndorf turn down handle just like you would find on a commercial sporter the only thing rigby would do is bring them a little closer to the stock but the shoulder would remain the same , the cutout or shaving of the shoulder was done when the scope was put on it looks like someone filled the screw holes and was trying to return it to the original look, for me that damage is already done the stock has been cut below the mount and that cant be fixed , personally i would try to find a period mount and put the mount back on and live with that,,, it makes you feel any better i have owned enough nice guns and consider myself picky as to what i can live with as far as alterations go , now that i can see the pics this gun seems to be in better shape than i thought i would (if the price is reasonable) definetly buy it . and face it the 303. is a good round and with a gun that would benifit with a scope , alot of rigbys have been retro fitted with scopes most of the top mount ones made a mess of the rings and that is not easily fixed or the mounts that are used usually look like shit i much rather a side mount .............good luck with it.........paul

rigbymauser
.400 member

#124727 - 21/01/09 05:52 PM

Info from Paul Roberts:

Dear Mr. Poulsen,

Our records indicate that the rifle was made as a "take-down" for W.A.
Egerton in 1910.

Specifications:-
Rigby S/N: 3448
Mauser Action No. 3111
Sporting Best
Cal .303 British
Barrel Length 24.5"
Stock length 14.5"

Kind Regards,

J. Roberts & Son (Gunmakers) Ltd.
22 Wyvil Road, London, SW8 2TG, ENGLAND

Telephone +44 (0)20 7622 1131
Fax +44 (0)20 7627 4442
www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: The Osa Mauser recompense.. PICS [Re: rigbymauser]
      #124939 - 23/01/09 01:11 PM

Quote:

The .303 rigby mauser is made on an original commercial action, slanted box magazine, takedown....all in canvas case..original too.

Heck, that is VERY cool!!!! Congrats on the rifle!!! I think that rifle has found an excellent home.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4746

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com