Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Chasseur]
      #115015 - 21/09/08 06:15 AM

Chasseur-

I hear you on the '...need for the newest bullet...'
A couple or three years ago, seeing the condor bullshit coming I looked into copper/cupric alloy construction bullets for my Tolley 450magnum.
The net result of that experience pretty much left me distancing myself from even thinking seriously on the topic -- both of said bullets and of hunting in the affected area.

At this time though, where I'm sure you know my typical pressing concerns are '...the need for the proper bullet from 150yrs ago...', I more and more often am present to the *sooner or later* nature of further lead-ban to our hunting areas.
If not this year or the next couple, it's coming and I'll still want to run my early cartridge rifles when it does.

As a machinist and a member of the engineering community, I can't keep design concepts out of the back of my head in regards to lead-free projectiles -- and how to get them to hit to regulation -- for my BPE and bore rifles.
I'm not sure to count myself lucky to have the cognitive space and ability to work that kind of stuff out, or to chalk myself up as a victim of my interests.

In regards to the lead-free bullet choices available for relatively modern (IE anything cordite era or newer) rifles, my choice for the double rifles would likely be the North Fork. I trust the 'look' of the bullet more than the others, and as to the price -- it won't take many to get a good load together, and only one or two to kill the animal during the hunt, so the price isn't that much of a factor considering the introductory price of a double rifle starts at about five grand anyway.
With the bolt guns I'd just buy the Barnes (X-whatever) and forget about it.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Huvius]
      #115026 - 21/09/08 09:44 AM

Don't want to range to far off topic but the question always arises--Is there a better bullet for killing game, and just as important--can such a bullet be shot in my rifle of choice(a Double!)?

Yes, dead is dead and tried and true solids surely work but can you get more terminal performance(stopping power) out of a different technology solid bullet at relatively the same velocities??

Maybe so with GS driving band solids-read the bullet theory and decide yourself--

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/articlepvdw.html

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/03fn.html

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (21/09/08 09:54 AM)

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Huvius]
      #115031 - 21/09/08 12:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The fact is that the actual bullets do the killing.A better bullet acting within the velocity/energy parameters of the cartridge/rifle hunted makes a better mousetrap.

I'm confused about this "new" bullet technology. In what way are these bullets better?
They certainly don't mushroom better, so it could be argued that in this they are not better.
Unless striking heavy bone, they will pass right through like any solid. Better? No.
Risk of decreased barrel life or damage, real or perceived. A good attribute? No.

So, can anyone with experience shooting these and regular FMJ solids with comparisons in on-game performance give us results outside of the theoretical realm?
How can we accept that tens and maybe hundreds of thousands of one shot kills on dangerous game in the past century were in any way accomplished with "inferior" bullets?

I must confess, I am firmly in the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" camp. For me, this applies to my guns, chamberings, and the ammunition. IMHO, there's not much in the post-war (WW2) hunting world which I would classify as measurable improvement in killing performance. Powders may be just about it...

Back to the topic, can the solid brass bullets be annealed to make them a little softer?

"So, can anyone with experience shooting these and regular FMJ solids with comparisons in on-game performance give us results outside of the theoretical realm?"

My previous post noting the greater penetration of trucated flat nose solids was based on actual in the field experience on elephants and cape buffalo.

I found that .458" 450gr North Fork truncated cone flat nose mono metal driving band solids at 2190fps outpenetrated 500gr Woodleigh round nose steel jacketed solids at 2145fps by +/- 40% in either body shots or brain shots - and missed brain shots.

Fellow NE member 500 Grains has found similar penetration results, but with less difference in penetration, on order of 10% on body shots, iirc, similar penetration on elephant brain shots.

If you do the math you will find that the North Fork load has less energy, so is it the bullet or the velocity differential? I think it is the bullet, and believe the fact that the flat nose has less energy but yet penetrates significantly more supports my conclusion.

I could not detect any difference in knock down or knock out or impact effect between the bullets when my frontal brain shots were imperfect. The 450's knock elephants down or out in similar fashion to the 500's when I have missed the brain.

Further, recovered bullets show no signs of tumbling, unlike round nose bullets which I believe have a strong tendency to tumble when they have lost the greater portion of their velocity, maybe that is even the only reason for the greater pentration of the flat noses. Evidence of round noses tumbling includes flattened or split bases, bent bullets, out of round bullets.

Greater penetration when elephant hunting is ALWAYS a plus since the attitude of the head and the angle of the shot are known only after the fact. When your twelve or ten or even less yards from the elephant and it turns to you there isn't really much option but to take that shot, there isn't any opportunity to wait until the angle or head attitude is better.

Also, the North Forks I've recovered show no signs of the body of the bullets being engraved, only the thin driving bands, so there is no barrel, bore, solder joint, etc threat. In fact, I believe that the North Fork and similar true driving band bullets are easier on the rifle than steel jacketed solids and by a considerable margin.

So, yes, the flat nose, truncated cone, driving band, mono metal solids are better than round nose steel jacketed solids when each is used at appropriate velocity and weight.

That doesn't make the round noses incapable of doing the job, just second best at doing that job.

JPK
Edited to note that Barnes are niehter truncated cone flat nose solids nor driving band bullets becaue of their round ogive on the first point and the fact that the body or shank of the bullet is engraved "beneath" the bands and because the body or shank of the bullet is engraved where there are no bands.

Edited by JPK (21/09/08 12:56 PM)

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: JPK]
      #115035 - 21/09/08 03:34 PM

If you like advertising glitz, get Barnes bullets. Otherwise get Woodleigh or GS Custom, depending on your preference.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #115056 - 22/09/08 12:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

GSC has been mentioned a number of times so, for the record, our position on the mono bullet in a double rifle debate is simple: If a double rifle delaminates as a result of using GSC drive band bullets in it, we will pay for the repair.

Even less reason to worry about whether Barnes is suitable
For me, the real debate is whether the drive-band solid is actually superior to the full length FMJ........
I'm pretty sure I can anticipate what a few responses will be!

A truncated cone flat nose solid is better than a round nose solid for penetration. North Fork and GS Custom have truncated cone flat noses. Barnes does not.

Maybe the best of both worlds wll turn out to be the non-truncated cone flat nose 500gr Hornaday steel jacketed, lead cored solid.

Even though the flat noses are better for penetration, the .458", 500gr round nose steel jackets solid Woodleighs I've used at 2145fps MV have provided enough. The 450gr North Forks at 2190fps MV have provided quite a bit more than enough.

JPK

+++++++++++++++

JPK

Not sure if you or anyone else saw the test done by HANDLOADER MAGAZINE" sometime ago--but it was amazing in the difference the truncated solids had versus the round...it also explained the theory as to why this happens..I am sure if anyone is interested you could get on their web site and find the info..

Question presented in the article was on feeding..some rifles it was stating had problems with it..
Not sure if that is accurate..I have not had any problems what so ever...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: Ripp]
      #115059 - 22/09/08 02:09 AM

I don't remember ever having a feeding problem with a Double. Maybe it's just me.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: mickey]
      #115072 - 22/09/08 04:37 AM

Quote:

I don't remember ever having a feeding problem with a Double. Maybe it's just me.

We are not all living in a all year warm weather you now.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 450_366]
      #115090 - 22/09/08 07:29 AM

nice debate annd got me wondering so i broke out the bible(graeme wright book#2)and see what he thought.seems he included even modern steel core bullets regaurdless of how much lead in it as the same as mono metal bullets,he quoated that no hard are reccomended in H+H rifles period.he did a test with a kynoch person and they milled a barrel down and with the use of hydrolics pushed the projectile through the tube and miced it soft points showed no barrel expansion then a hard bullet it showed .0005 surge then it returned to prior measurement.so classed as hard were partition,solid copper or brass or bronze or steel in the core.he states there is no reason to shoot a hard bullet out of a double.reasonable to assume few of us will hunt elephant if so not many times.and do buffalo need solids will softs do a lethal amount of damage.even though i am a die hard barnes fan and will still use them in my bolt guns i will only shoot regular soft points out of my doubles my mind has been changed.to me that initial expansion could do something to the joining system of any double.but not only solids but all HARD bullets.will be intersested to dee if he addresses the x bullet in volume three.but again that was with a shaved barrel i wonder what a regular barrel would mic out to with the same test.so many variables,so many views no wonder this has been debated so long.thanks ripp nice group debate.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

JPK
.375 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: bwananelson]
      #115099 - 22/09/08 10:35 AM

First, cape buff need solids from shot number two onward, and deserve it on number 1 in some instances, imo. A big bore solid is never a bad choice for cape buff, first shot or last. It will do exactly what it is supposed to do, every time. Buff die very quickly from well places .458" or better holes in them.

Second, its true that steel jecketed solids are hard on barrels. But with the lead core and rear opening to accomodate compression they are shootable. No matter what H&H says, they don't make 465's, 470's, 500's etc to shoot a tempermental cow. They are made to shoot elephants. A double only comes into its unique position as the perfect and ultimate choice on elephants anyway, imo.

Third, there are two guys on this thread who have shot somwhere between 25 and 30 elephants between them, may well be others - and I'm pretty sure there are - who have also killed their share of elephants, so this isn't an accademic discussion.

Fourth, North Forks and GS Customs are thrown in with "mono solids" but shouldn't be since, especially with the North Forks, the body of the bullets does not engrave, only the thin driving bands - and you've read on this thread GS Custom's garuantee about any double rifle issues. Neither North Fork nor GS Customs are "hard bullets." I would rather shoot twenty North Forks than five Woodleighs. Twenty Woodleighs rather than one Barnes...

Barnes bullets may be under groove diameter in the body, but they are over land diameter in the shoulder and shank. Barnes bullets requirs the body to be engraved, and they are "hard bullets." They are a problem waiting to happen in my opinion. They are surely not driving band bullets and they are not truncated cone flat noses, worst of both worlds, eh?

JPK

bwananelson
.400 member

#115105 - 22/09/08 11:32 AM

so you believe Mr Wright is wrong.then i guess his research is faulty and his quote from H+H one of the oldest makers of doubles in the world means squat.cool thats why this debate will never end.and killing alot of elephants means nothing an AK can kill an elephany as well as an arrow or snare so there is no point there a lion with nothing but claws and teeth can kill one to and buffalo as well.you still are talking a small group compared to everyone who owns a double.a 7mm has none of those qualities but have dropped many head large and small.as Mr Wright stated the steel returned to original measurement so this motion in itself tells me maybe this shot or the 50th shot may loosten something up over time.but the millionth of an incm of the barnes is worse listen to that reasoning.myself i have 2 weeks that will include the shot show and sci to gather the opions of gun makes ammo crafters and other experts to pose this question to and see what the people who deal with this daily have to say,every one seems to disregaurd what a custom gun maker states and what a major author writes.in the end its all mute so far i get it might and it might not hurt my gun hmmmm.it does leave leave alot to think about and debate.i heard someone say earlier that this question has been debated for 20 years that i do believe.

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

#115113 - 22/09/08 01:23 PM

BwanaNelson,

If I weren't going to shoot an elephant, rhino or cape buff, I wouldn't shoot solids in my rifle either.

You have Graeme Wright on one hand, writing about vintage guns and saying pre driving band solids can damage those doubles and also saying to keep steel jacketed solids to a minimum (good advice on the steel jacket solids and non-driving band solids), and on the other Butch Searcy, writing that his modern guns are fine with Barnes or other monos (also good advice since he stands behind his rifles and so is putting his $'s where his belief and probable research lies.) You also have Gerrard of GS Custom saying he'll pay for any repairs for damage his bullets cause in any double rifle (and so putting his $'s where his belief and research lies.)

Then you have H&H saying don't use their big bore elephant rifles on elephants since you can't shoot any solids in their rifles. That is a total hoot.

I have a bag full of recovered Woodleighs, I'm happy to mic them for you, They don't bounce back.

But hey, why are you getting bent out of shape, or even participating in this discussion regarding solids in a double rifle if you will never shoot anything that requires them?

If you ever do get the itch to hunt elephants, don't forget your 30-06 or 7x57 or AK, snare or spear!

JPK

Edited by JPK (22/09/08 01:31 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #115119 - 22/09/08 01:51 PM

The easiest thing is for people to be aware and forewarned. Discussions like this thread are good for that.

Then do what you like but be aware and take responsibility for your own actions and the consequences.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #115121 - 22/09/08 01:59 PM

Quote:

Then you have H&H saying don't use their big bore elephant rifles on elephants since you can't shoot any solids in their rifles.
JPK

What ...? Does the Emperor even admit he has no clothes? Where can I witness this admission?

- Paul

450_366
.400 member

#115135 - 22/09/08 04:42 PM

Quote:

.so classed as hard were partition,solid copper or brass or bronze or steel in the core.

Steel in the core? Have im been missing soemthing i tought that solids had lead in the core.

If these are the concidered hard bullets that H&H are warning fore, than the ordinary fmj would be fine wouldnt they?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

JPK
.375 member

#115177 - 23/09/08 01:35 AM

Perhaps the reference is to the disconinued Speer African Grand Slam slids, which were tungstun cored. I have to think that they would surely be a "hard bullet" by any measure.

JPK

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #115221 - 23/09/08 12:42 PM

JPK: I just tried to run a 300 grain .375 North Fork Soft Point thru my dies.

Are these solid copper with a lead-filled front portion?

Well, the thing went thru the dies like bacon grease thru a beagle.

No trouble at all.

Does this mean anything to a properly loaded cartridge?

Maybe not.

But there is no doubt that it was very much like running a normal lead-core soft thru the dies, as opposed to the Hornady steel-jacketed FMJ and the Barnes TSX, neither of which I could get thru the die. If the Woodleigh praised here has a steel jacket that is harder and or thicker than the Hornady, I suspect it, too would be a no-go thru my dies.

Do "hard" bullets do anything different to the insides of a gun barrel than do "soft" bullets? I suspect so, but I am very leery of blaming them for the destruction of guns that may have been weakened by years and use and/or abuse, and suspect that in reality there are "hard" bullets that are not solid copper, and possibly some made of solid copper that should not be called "hard".

I have to wonder what the true round-count life expectancy is of an 80-year-old, thin-tubed double of whatever quality and whether some fellows are packing around what amount to hand grenades unknowingly.

Meaning, how many more bullets can a fellow run thru an old, used gun the previous shooting of which the buyer knows nothing?

Yes, even precious and beautiful doubles can be worn out pieces of junk better serving as art on the wall or stuck in the dirt holding up tomatoes in the garden.

Some metals have different springback characteristics. Does this mean they might act upon the walls of a gun barrel differently and/or transmit energy to the rifling in some different manner than another bullet? I suppose this may be true, even if it is difficult to test and/or prove.

Nitro is dead-correct in my opinion, cautioning anyone who seeks to blindly pick a bullet to shoot in a double. In my opinion, they may just be weak enough "systems" to be on the edge with some types of bullets, and may give way when exposed to others. I do not know.

What I do know is that it is very frustrating to hear/read of those who condemn this or that with proclamations of certitude and then disappear when asked to help out with a little proof. Thus, even if what they are saying is true, no one knows it and the silence gives the impression that they are making it up, thus possibly leading some to disregard their warnings, warnings that might be warranted.

This has been an interesting thread.

Finally, here is a portion of an interesting email sent to me by Ty Herring from Barnes pertaining to this thread:

Barnes performed conclusive testing and put it in our newsletter with our "blessing" to use the Banded Solids in doubles. We also suggested that anyone with evidence of damage call us. I'm not surprised to see that no one came up with a damaged barrel even after a $400 reward was issued. Quite simply, the issue doesn't exist and or isn't tied to the Barnes Banded Solid bullet.

You and I discussed the fact that we used the Oehler system and a strain gauge to measure outside barrel expansion / pressure. I would think this fact would give additional credibility to the tests we performed and curb the ridiculous notion that suggests our bullet causes OSR and you are welcome to post this information if you like.

End Quote.

Personally, I think both bullet buyers and double gun buyers ought never to forget these words:

"BUYER BEWARE".

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (23/09/08 01:10 PM)

JPK
.375 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #115223 - 23/09/08 01:18 PM

9Threexfifty7,

Yes the softs are bonded lead front cores and solid copper shanks and they are driving band bullets. I've been discussing the solids, but hey, a driving band bullet is a driving band bullet. The bonded lead core Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, for example, are taboo for doubles too becuase of their solid shank and lack of driving band design.

No doubt that steel jacketed solids are harder on bores and rifles and jointing and everything than lead cored softs, like Woodleighs for exapmle. I'd rather shoot 20 North Forks than a few Woodleigh solids and twenty Woodleigh solids than even one Barnes or similar.

Nothing is a hard as a Barnes style, imo.

On barrel life, hey, I'm no collector. A double rifle is the perfect rifle, the ultimate tool for elephant hunting. For all other hunting it is an option ranging from ok to great, but for elephants it is THE ultimate and the second choice is far behind. So, if you hunt enough elephants that you break the solder joint or wear out your barrels through hunting and practice, - shooting suitable bullets and not Barnes style - my hat is off to you!!! Get the rifle fixed with new jointing or new barrels and go do it again!

I load develop with solids. Then match my softs to the solids. Why? Because I NEED the solid load and the softs are an occasionally useful accessory.

JPK

9.3x57
.450 member

#115227 - 23/09/08 02:08 PM

Quote:

So, if you hunt enough elephants that you break the solder joint or wear out your barrels through hunting and practice,

Not me, but there are those who think that cars, auto pistols, horses and double rifles should last forever, regardless of what's fed to them.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bwananelson
.400 member

#115231 - 23/09/08 02:40 PM

jpk all i was stating came from the pages of wrights book.have you ever read it or do you just disagree with his view.it is your right to.when your book comes out i will be glad to read it to.plenty of elephants have been slayed with soft bullets.look at all the black powder and lead bullet kills that have been talied over the centuries.a solid is but another means to do it it is not the only way.as far as hard bullets read the chapter on them and the test he preformed.if you dont believe him sell the book there are plenty of people who still want to buy it.this pot is far from being cooked its just simmering and being stirred.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #115235 - 23/09/08 02:50 PM

Quote:

jpk all i was stating came from the pages of wrights book.have you ever read it or do you just disagree with his view.it is your right to.when your book comes out i will be glad to read it to.plenty of elephants have been slayed with soft bullets.look at all the black powder and lead bullet kills that have been talied over the centuries.a solid is but another means to do it it is not the only way.as far as hard bullets read the chapter on them and the test he preformed.if you dont believe him sell the book there are plenty of people who still want to buy it.this pot is far from being cooked its just simmering and being stirred.

Interesting in that historically FMJs or solids were advised for a LOT of African hunting because the softs at the time were so unreliable. Unlike the excellent bullets often available today. Re Finn Aaguard comments.

But I must say I have only ever heard of FMJ's and "solids" being advised for elephant.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

450_366
.400 member

#115242 - 23/09/08 04:39 PM

Quote:

JPK: Finally, here is a portion of an interesting email sent to me by Ty Herring from Barnes pertaining to this thread:

Barnes performed conclusive testing and put it in our newsletter with our "blessing" to use the Banded Solids in doubles. We also suggested that anyone with evidence of damage call us. I'm not surprised to see that no one came up with a damaged barrel even after a $400 reward was issued. Quite simply, the issue doesn't exist and or isn't tied to the Barnes Banded Solid bullet.

You and I discussed the fact that we used the Oehler system and a strain gauge to measure outside barrel expansion / pressure. I would think this fact would give additional credibility to the tests we performed and curb the ridiculous notion that suggests our bullet causes OSR and you are welcome to post this information if you like.

End Quote.

Personally, I think both bullet buyers and double gun buyers ought never to forget these words:

"BUYER BEWARE".

Hey you realy try to sell those barnes dont you? do I sense a shareholder.

It would be vary hard for ayone to state a perticially bullet ruined their gun, if it a 100 year old gun it would be impossible.
If they used the strain gauge system, ask them for the hole grapf of the test, than it would be possible to see the pressure in sertan lengts of the barrel (barrel time). I cant understand why they didnt use it in the first place as to curves on a grapf is more simple to follow by a "deadly" than only pressures. To be honest a straingauge would never be accepted in any proofhouse or by any ammunition manufactor.

Btw. What manufactor does provides double ammo loaded with barnes solids?

And again i must point out that im not saying the barnes ar crap only that i would not use the untill this mess is sorted out.

--------------------
Andreas

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #115257 - 23/09/08 08:46 PM

Quote:

Finally, here is a portion of an interesting email sent to me by Ty Herring from Barnes pertaining to this thread:

End Quote.

I am wondering about what was NOT said by Mr. Herring. What is his, or his company's, position on use of the Barnes X bullets in a DR? That's where all the trouble started. Whether or not the banded bullet cured the problem is subject to debate. Does he deny that a problem ever existed with the X bullets in DR's?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

JPK
.375 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: CptCurl]
      #115282 - 23/09/08 10:35 PM

Let me clear up some misperception here: I'm not commenting, other than passingly, on OSR. What I'm writing about is undue stress on solder joints and undue wear on the barrels. I'm not writing generally about OSR. But, assuming OSR is a reality, I'm sure that hard bullets, like Barnes, Trophy Bonded's, A Frames... are leading candidates for causing it.

JPK

JPK
.375 member

#115291 - 23/09/08 11:10 PM

Quote:

This post is a treat. Full of misinformation.

Solids ONLY for elephants.

Even the lead bullets used for elephants in huge BP bore rifles prior to the invention of the big bore Nitro Express were alloys or quench hardened to resist expansion and enhance penetration and weren't intended to be "soft" bullets (not counting the explosive bullets some tried, they've got to be the ultimate soft point!). The goal, as best as possible, was a bullet that didn't deform. Nothing different than and now. Our goal remains a bullet that doesn't expand or distort or deform and so a goal to enhance penetration.

What did change with the development of the NE rifles was bullet material, composition, design, shape. And that is still changing to one degree or another, as evidenced by this thread.

But one constant has remained and that is the desire to shoot a non deforming bullet for elephants, the desire to shoot the bullet that deformed the least and penetrated the most, regardless of material or composition. Since the NE cartridges of more than a century ago, it is called a "solid." Solids ONLY for elephants for any hunter using a NE or other modern rifle for more than 100years.

If you want a readily available source for elephant (or other game) medicine pre NE cartridges, take a look at Samuel Baker's book. He gives a pretty good summary of rifles, bullets and loads for safari in the black powder era not unlike Taylor's later works on modern rifles and loads through mid 20th century.

I have Greame Wright's book, 2nd edition. I am a huge fan. He didn't test North Fork bullets, nor did he test GS Custom bullets. In fact, he didn't test any driving band bullets so far as I could discern from reading his book. Driving band bullets are not hard bullets.

JPK

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Barnes bullets in a Double --as per Barnes Newsletter-?? [Re: CptCurl]
      #115298 - 24/09/08 12:20 AM

Quote:

I am wondering about what was NOT said by Mr. Herring. What is his, or his company's, position on use of the Barnes X bullets in a DR? That's where all the trouble started. Whether or not the banded bullet cured the problem is subject to debate. Does he deny that a problem ever existed with the X bullets in DR's?

Curl

Curl, great question! I don't know the answer. Maybe somebody can call them and ask. They seem to be very eager to provide any info I've requested. {Remember, too, I've never shot a Barnes Banded Solid, and have never tried to size one in my drawing dies, either.}

450___366:

If you read my posts, I would think that you would think I'm trying to hawk Heym, Merkel and Chapuis doubles!!

Maybe something is lacking in the translation, but I am NOT, repeat NOT, a "proponent" of Barnes bullets for doubles, per se. All I have done here is to ask questions about the bold assertions of some who have condemned Barnes. That is all. I've given my opinions as to what I think might be occurring, but I am not a ballistician and I am not an expert. I've never said I was.

I totally agree that there may be some internal ballistic mechanism that causes damage to doubles when certain "hard" bullets are used, a mechanism that may be difficult to prove or to disprove. But what is a "hard" bullet? Is it ONLY a monolithic solid, or is JPK's "heirarchy" of bullet hardnesses closer to the truth: "Soft"=NF..."Harder"=Woodleigh..."Hard"=Barnes?

I have attempted merely to present as many facts and suppositions as I can, not "in support" of either side, since I really do not know the truth in the matter. One side, Barnes, has been willing to converse and provide their "proofs". The other side has disappeared and is silent. Why? If their views are so universally accepted, proven beyond a doubt and obvious to even the uninformed, then why have they not provided a single shred of proof as in photos of damaged guns and of recovered bullets, documentation, measurements of recovered or engraved bullets and bores, etc. Heck, we've been told that one fellow has seen "dozens" of guns wrecked by {which bullets...?} mono bullets. I have no axe to grind. I asked questions in good faith and in anticipation of good faith answers. Others have offered money and as far as I know there is yet $400 laying "on the table" even yet.

Bwananelson's reference to the book source is the closest we get. Checking it with Barnes Oehler tests would be interesting {"How much pressure does it take to bulge the test barrel"?}. But so far absolutely ZERO from those who made the boldest assertions at the start of this thread. And absolutely NOTHING at all about "BARNES BANDED SOLIDS" which we must remember is, after all, the topic RIPP posted about. We shouldn't condemn BBS because XYZ mono's wrecked a barrel. Unless it is also acceptable to condemn Hornady's because Woodleighs wrecked a barrel, or some such other poor logic.

I find it interesting that when an attempt to dig for the truth is made in this matter, it is so hard to get info from one side while I am accused of supporting the other side which, actually, I am not. All I am interested in is the truth. Are we all here simply to bow down and accept in some puppet-like manner the suppositions of one side only? Which side?? Rereading the first half of the thread, it is pretty obvious some have vehement aggression toward Barnes. I have merely attempted to find out just exactly why.

If you want to know my personal opinion, it is this: I suspect that the "hardness" of a bullet may indeed cause damage to some guns {excessive barrel wear, but not bulging, with some "mono" bullets IS a repeated problem cited by my military sources some of which I've cited}, but other factors may also come into play in a matrix of effects and some other factors may even be in some cases more important than the bullet, the bullet merely being "the last straw": internal bore/groove dimensions, handload pressure, OAL, gun quality and gun condition to name a few.

AND I suspect that mono bullets are not the only "hard" bullets out there. When it comes to shooting a thin-tubed double that I may have paid a lot of money for, I personally would be very careful indeed about what I shot thru it and I don't blame anybody for steering clear of this or that bullet for whatever reason...

...and, my humble opinion is that I suspect there just may be many "fine doubles" that after the use they have been subjected to and/or age and/or original materials of construction should be shelved with their chambers welded shut, because if not, and if they continue to be shot, may at some point "let go", and when such a gun lets go with a Woodleigh or a Barnes Banded Solid, the bullets shouldn't be blamed, no matter how much money the fellow paid for the gun. Just because it's beautifully made and frightfully expensive doesn't mean it's safe.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 42670

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com