Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Latest Pig-Culling Trip

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Latest Pig-Culling Trip
      #115263 - 23/09/08 09:17 PM

Been a bit busy lately, but never too busy to report on the feral animal control operation that took me off the forums for the first two weeks of September.
Six of us travelled to the allotted property and set up camp at the station-house this year, which sure beats river-bank tarpaulins when shooting dawn till dusk. Unfortunately the waterholes were much drier than in previous years, the river having flowed only once during the preceding wet season. Most of the thick stuff along the river-bank was knocked down by cattle, so the shotguns were not as useful as we had hoped. There were plenty of pigs of course, however the large numbers of suckers we relied on for numbers in previous years were not in evidence this year. Family groups were still the mainstay, with a scattering of big boars mainly taken out on the plains. Twelve days of hard shooting resulted in 539 pigs and 3 feral cats, not a bad result under the circumstances.

We all like photos of course, so here's a few to give a general impression of the shooting:

Large numbers of pigs were heading out onto the Mitchell-grass plains to feed at night, returning around sun-up next morning. These 'pig highways' were common around the permanant waterholes:

Family groups still made up the bulk of pigs taken, and it was cause for celebration when a mob was successfully stalked or ambushed with no survivors!

This mob of 12 pigs, including 4 suckers, were ambushed as they walked in to water.

I spotted the sow sheltering under a log, and called my partner over. At the shot, out ran 3 half-growns and 4 young suckers.

These eight young pigs were sheltering under a prickle-bush in the open.
Two of us sneaked in for the bomb-up, no pig made more than a few metres.

Plenty of decent boars were taken too, although the ivory was nothing to write home about this year. Here's a few examples:

This fellow almost made his escape by running interference with a mob of cattle. Once clear, I nailed him on the run at well over 200 metres from an improvised rest against a handy tree (one of the very few!).

Nice boar extracted from the tail-end of a mob of about 25 camped in the open at this bore overflow.

This animal sat up as I approached his camp-tree, so he copped a 140gr 6.5 Sierra in the pump. Still ran 30 metres though!

Jumped from his bed at the base of an embankment, this red boar stopped to look back and caught a bullet behind the ear.

Shaggy old boar covered in noogoora burr. Initial shot was too far back as he took off at full gallop, but forward angle helped (along with accurate back-up shot from my partner!).

...and of course the highlight in terms of difficulty: two feral cats! We reckon they're worth about 20 pigs each!

It's very satisfying to be able to conduct this type of activity to assist pastoralists and land managers at a time when Australian shooters are still trying to recover from the public vilification we suffered under the Howard government. Shooters are the largest and most pro-active group of practicing conservationists this country will ever know.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: Marrakai]
      #115266 - 23/09/08 09:40 PM

Quote:

Shooters are the largest and most pro-active group of practicing conservationists this country will ever know.

Well-said, Marrakai, and well-done on your trip! I haven't yet seen that many pigs let alone shot that amount! Pig heaven... Good body-size on some of those boars, too.

Cheers,

Ben

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: Ben]
      #115275 - 23/09/08 09:58 PM

Marrakai

Is that a sporterised M96 6.5x55 that you're holding?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: NitroX]
      #115278 - 23/09/08 10:07 PM

That looks like great fun. Your quite good at it too.

--------------------
One day at a time...

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: bigmaxx]
      #115292 - 23/09/08 11:11 PM

marrakai

you have been out having fun again, good on you.

cheers

peter

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: peter]
      #115303 - 24/09/08 02:33 AM

Nice job Marrakai!

You know the offer stands. To prevent undue stress on your damaged shoulder, I'm only a Private Message {...and a few thousand miles... } away!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: 9.3x57]
      #115359 - 24/09/08 01:14 PM

Thanks guys.

The rifle is a Carl Gustav M-38, and belongs to my eldest daughter who is stuck in Sydney at the moment. In the 1970s a bunch of these things were sporterised in Australia using locally-made coach-wood stocks I believe. The scope is a Leupold 2-7 x 28 Ultralight, and it never moved off 2-power the whole trip (no handicap at all for an open-sight shooter like me!) In fact, these culling trips are the only time I use a scope in the field, ever!

My own M-38 has an 1899 Obendorf action and remains in collectable military format. Both these M-38s have the nifty dial-micrometer rear sight. Very cute!

My cartridge components for culling are Highland cases and Sierra 140gr Game-King seconds to cut costs, with a modest load of AR2209 for petrol. I didn't get many of the Sierras back: those that didn't exit explosively simply blew to bits inside. Just what I was looking for after last-year's frustration with the Highland projectiles' titanium-jacketed tungsten-cored armour-piercing performance!

IMHO the 6.5x55 is highly underrated as a cartridge for general use on medium game such as pigs, goats, and all but the largest deer. With those loong 140gr pencils, it seems to kill out of all proportion to its calibre.

--------------------
Marrakai

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #115368 - 24/09/08 02:15 PM

Well done Marrakai,
Your tally questions the assertions made by many greenies that shooting can't cope with the pig problem.

- Paul

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: Paul]
      #115517 - 25/09/08 10:23 PM

Tony,did you get a chance to use any of that stuff I sent up to you?

Looks like you had another good bomb up here in Western Australia

Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #115520 - 25/09/08 10:30 PM

Quote:

IMHO the 6.5x55 is highly underrated as a cartridge for general use on medium game such as pigs, goats, and all but the largest deer. With those loong 140gr pencils, it seems to kill out of all proportion to its calibre.

Ditto!

Great cartridge, one of my two favorites.

As always, thanks for posting your unique and very interesting hunts!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: 9.3x57]
      #115576 - 26/09/08 07:35 PM

hey Marrakai,

If you ever want to convert to all scoped rifles I will help out with getting rid of your 'iron' guns lol.

I believe pigs may gain wings first though!

Regards,

MOG

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: Cinghiale]
      #115582 - 26/09/08 09:43 PM

Quote:

Tony,did you get a chance to use any of that stuff I sent up to you?

Al: Unfortunately the riverbank thickets were quite open this year due to the drier conditions and greater numbers of cattle camping on the levees. I took those Brennekes and carried them on the first afternoon, but no decent opportunities presented themselves and most of the shooting was with SGs. After that, the shottie stayed in the gunbag for the remainder of the trip.

My plans to get hold of a reloadable quantity of Brenneke projectiles have been derailed for the moment, temporarily I hope. More on this later.

I will be conducting an 'armed reconnaissance' or two in the Shoal Bay area as the build-up storms activate a couple of high-country wallows we have discovered over the years. Only a half-hour from home so no trouble to slip out there, and the area is 'shotgun only' during the goose season. I'll report here as soon as I have a successful field test result. Watch this space!

--------------------
Marrakai

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
      #115730 - 28/09/08 10:36 AM

Marrakai that is awesome,

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that one!

I take it that you did not get that on the last culling trip.

Regards,

MOG

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: Cinghiale]
      #115763 - 28/09/08 08:38 PM

Quote:

I take it that you did not get that on the last culling trip

If only I had taken some trap loads for the shottie.....

--------------------
Marrakai

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #115832 - 29/09/08 12:51 PM

Marrakai,

Lovely report on an even lovelier hunt!

539 pigs and 3 feral cats!? You guys are the luckiest hunters on earth without any doubt!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Squarebridge
.300 member

Reged: 21/08/08
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Latest Pig-Culling Trip [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #116014 - 01/10/08 12:46 PM

Can non-Australians participate in this kind of thing? I understand you also cull wild cattle too. And did I read you can hunt 12 months out of the year? What a life. It must be the closest thing the "golden age" of pioneer Africa we're likely to see.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6782

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com