Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ to put Brno O/U double rifles back into production

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
CZ to put Brno O/U double rifles back into production
      #110790 - 31/07/08 03:55 PM

Link to models that would soon be offered on the CZ website.

Knowing how well they are doing in the USA, I am cautiously optimistic that these rifles and shotguns would be offered here very soon.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
Loc: Finland
Re: CZ to put Brno O/U double rifles back into production [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #110801 - 31/07/08 09:01 PM

Yea - been trying to get some more info but, alas, neither my dealer nor the importer knew nothing about these at all.
I ended up contacting the factory so let's see what they say.

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: CZ to put Brno O/U double rifles back into production [Re: Schauckis]
      #111096 - 05/08/08 05:11 AM

Yes, i did just take delivery of a BRNO 803 o/u in 8x57 S rimmed . I own many BRNO and CZ doubles and combination guns and rifles and i love them all - im a huge fan of cz and brno but this one is just not the same.

I have not shot it yet as the rifle did not have the dovetail scope mount nor 1/4 rib feature as I expected from the catelogue and pictures and descriptions and I am awaitng some responses from CZ and my dealer.

The quality, frankly, is slightly above the quality of my Baikal sxs I just bought.

The BRNO has a locking system of a wide "lug" or catch at the very bottom of the bbls that engages the lever actuated recess cam in the bottom of the receiver box. There are no traditional lugs or locking mechanisms. The bottom of the receiver box is solid with no lugs penetrating same, but with the rear of the box being removable with cap screws to take the trigger group out.

The receiver is a less then 1/4 inch thick rectangular box of steel and the bbl pivots are side mounted lugs that stick out about 1 cm ala the Berreta shotguns. The rear face of the receiver is a cap screwed on steel plate with the rebounding firng pins not bushed (unless you call the entire rear steel plate as a bushing). The hammers are coil spring driven. It has a front set trigger that is nice to use. The unset triggers have a bit of creep and breaks at about 4-5 pounds.

It has one large extractor across the middle of the upper and lower bbls.

The stock is a decent wood, but the fit to the receiver is poor at best.

The test target shows 220 gr S&B ammo used and about a 2 inch group at 100 m. The rifling and bbls look very good tho. The lower bbl lands start at about 2/10ths of an inch sooner then the upper.

The sights are crude with a single rear notch that is slid over to one side of the dovetail mount with a register mark showing it as zero. The front blade is press fit into the ramp and the soldered on ramp is slightly tilting to one side.

The bottom bbl may be adjusted by a sliding lock collar under the forearm.

The front of the bbls are dovetailed together and again slightly offset to one side and then (I believe) pinned (or a very small set screw) to set the dovetail.

The scope mount is something (no one appears to know at present) that fits into a transverse 1 cm slot flanked by 2 holes drilled along the long axis of the rear of the bbl. There is no 14 mm dovetail as I expected when I ordered.

I had to order it sight unseen as it was a special order. I will live with that. The gun dealer I bought it from here in Canada is doing all they can to help me with the scope mount etc and I harbour no ill will to them.

The quality is in no way up to par with older CZ / BRNO rifles. They never were elegant rifles, but they had a charm of quality of wood and steel and strength - but this one is a collection of cap screwed together bits and pieces. Even the trigger group is cap screwed in from the bottom of the rifle.

The BRNO name "engraving" is even cheap looking -

Cost - about $1800 Cdn - not cheap - but not expensive. If I can find a scope mount and make it work - I will let you now how it shoots.

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
Loc: Finland
Re: CZ to put Brno O/U double rifles back into production [Re: farshot]
      #111249 - 07/08/08 05:31 AM

Thank you, Farshot!
A very thorough analysis, indeed. I still have no word neither from the importer nor the factory. Odd.

At that price pretty much nothing except the Baikal can beat it, so I'd swallow a bit of crude workmanship & materials. As is known, the steel, barrels and functionality tend to be top-notch nevertheless.
I'll be most keen to hear about shooting experiences.
How's the balance? The spec indicates a gun on the heavy side, and the o/u Zoli & Browning I've handled (though not shot) were lighter and excellently balanced, but were fitted with significantly shorter barrels than the Brno.

However, I must say I'm a tad disappointed by the report. I know of one dealer who has the combo BO 802 on display so I think I'll go and have a look-a-see.
The price of ca. 1100 Euro, you see - a Zoli retails in Finland at ca. 3700 Euro and oddly enough you'll get a Heym for the same price; and even a Krieghoff for not much more. Thus, you could get three Brnos for the price of one Zoli... So if it's solid enough, one could certainly take it for a bit of gunsmithing and get an excellent weapon at a ridiculous price.

The locking system seems special. Do you see any upsides with such a system? A photo would be helpful as I have a hard time understanding the system without seeing it.
Do you know if ejectors are available? I'd expect, as the sister models are the combo & the shotgun.

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: CZ to put Brno O/U double rifles back into production [Re: Schauckis]
      #111352 - 09/08/08 02:04 AM

balance appears to be good. I just noticed that the angle of the butt pad is reverse of a conventional rifle -- it is not square with the comb but the toe angles a bit forward -- wierd to me - im trying to figure out if this is the way the stock was meant to be . It appears to be different from the pictures in the catelogue which show a conventional butt angle with the toe extending away from the right angle of the comb.

They are a bit heavy for the caliber - one size for all calibers I guess. The breach end is quite thick and I think that is where a lot of the weight comes from. You can see how that diameter would support a 9.3x74R as a maximum , but would also be used for the .308.

It fits me well at 6 feet 3 inches and the grip area is quite chunky with a palm swell.

I starting to like it a bit more - have not shot it yet cause i am still mad about no dovetail for scope mounting and trying to work through that with the distributor.

I do not think ejectors are available given the one piece nature of the extractor - ejectors would require separate extrators for each bbl.

I dont know how to upload a pic here and it appears that there is not an abundance of interest in these guns - send me your email via pm and i can forward a few to you

Nighthawk
.224 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: Belgium
Re: CZ to put Brno O/U double rifles back into production [Re: farshot]
      #111637 - 12/08/08 06:54 PM

I would certainly be interested in some pictures of the action. If necessary I can post them for you on the forum.

Nighthawk
.224 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: Belgium
Re: CZ to put Brno O/U double rifles back into production [Re: Nighthawk]
      #111767 - 14/08/08 12:02 AM

Posting pictures for farshot

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9081

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com