Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Feedback on Leupold VX-L and Conquest Scopes???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Feedback on Leupold VX-L and Conquest Scopes???
      #110487 - 27/07/08 01:12 AM

My son is going to get a new rifle for deer season specifically for long range shooting. He loves his 7mm08 but wants more distance capability.

He has been shooting a friends 270 WSM and is very fond of the caliber. The scope on the rifle is a Leupold 8x and he wants more magnification.

We have been looking at the Leupold VX-L with the odd shaped front objective and I have been looking at a Zeiss Conquest Rapid Z 600 with an etched reticle.

Both are quality scopes.Which scope would be the most reliable??

I recall Ripp said there were problems with the conquest scopes.My Zeiss's were very early scopes, have been great and clear as a bell.I am concerned their quality may have worsened.Any problems out there folks know about with the funny looking Leupold or Conquest scopes??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Feedback on Leupold VX-L and Conquest Scopes??? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #110491 - 27/07/08 01:54 AM

I only have experience with the VXIII series and the Conquest line in lower powers. I like them both, but to my aging eyes the Conquest is clearer and the reticle focus is much easier. The lock ring and screw in eyepeice has never been easy for me. I DO like VXIII and have one of the M77 Magnum I will be hunting buffalo in Zimbabwe with next month. I still like the crystal clear inage of the Zeiss. I have a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32 on the .375 and it works wonderfully. I also have a 3-9x50 on my deer rifle in .30-06 and a 3-9X40 on a .300 magnum. I dont think I have been much help, as I like them both! I feel some brand loyalty to Leupold, but like the performance characteristics of the Zeiss. I have Zeiss binoculars too. Basically I beleive Zeiss is better glass. Hope that helps. BTW, I try to go to a shop that will let me look through both side by side. Thats helped me decide on more than one occasion. Even looking out a window to the outside can give you an idea what they are like IMHO.

--------------------
One day at a time...

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Feedback on Leupold VX-L and Conquest Scopes??? [Re: bigmaxx]
      #110499 - 27/07/08 05:47 AM

I agree Zeiss is better glass. I assume its because of their coatings.I took a variable 10x to Africa and shot 7 animals with a conquest on a 338 Win Mag with no problems, some animals out to 290 yards.

I have broken several 10x and 14x and above Leupolds on big guns but never a 1.75x6 or their 2x8. Others say these are their toughest scopes.

Personally I think would prefer the Zeiss but my son likes the funny looking Leupold objective and indeed it may give a brighter scope at dusk/dawn.I just don't know if the high power Leupold can hold up on the 270 WSM.I don't abuse their scopes, they just break on me--

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #110506 - 27/07/08 08:10 AM

Hoppdoc, email Zeiss and ask where the lenses to the Conquest scopes are made, and where the scopes are assembled.

Seems I remember hearing they are assembled in the USA {?} and that the lenses are not the same as that on the main Zeiss line. I do not know the details. I have read other reports stg that the Conquest line is not up to the VXII or VXIII Leupold quality. Who knows...

I like the old Vari-X II and III scopes and really like the current VX-II's I've bought recently. You couldn't give me one of those u-shaped weird Leupold objectives. I am a bigot when it comes to optics I guess, I like Round, nuttin else.

How easy are the Conquest scopes to get fixed if necessary & what is their warranty?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Feedback on Leupold VX-L and Conquest Scopes??? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #110507 - 27/07/08 08:14 AM

Seems I remember hearing they are assembled in the USA {?}

CORRECT

and that the lenses are not the same as that on the main Zeiss line.

I BELIEV THAT IS THE CASE BUT IT IS ALSO THE CASE WITH ALL OF THE MANUFACTURERS - INCLUDING LEUPOLD.

I do not know the details. I have read other reports stg that the Conquest line is not up to the VXII or VXIII Leupold quality.

AGREE - AND HAVE READ THIS AS WELL BUT A MATE OF MINE
HAS BOTH AND LOTS OF CONQUESTS AND HE LIKES THEM ALOT
- And he is a picky person so it says alot.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Feedback on Leupold VX-L and Conquest Scopes??? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #110513 - 27/07/08 09:55 AM

Quote:

and that the lenses are not the same as that on the main Zeiss line.

I BELIEV THAT IS THE CASE BUT IT IS ALSO THE CASE WITH ALL OF THE MANUFACTURERS - INCLUDING LEUPOLD.

Thanks for that 500.

I did not mean to imply that Leupold lenses are all alike, only that the Zeiss Conquests aren't. Most folks that are attracted to "Zeiss" seem to expect some above-and-beyond the norm quality, and in comparison to Leupolds, the Conquest line isn't. Maybe it is more in line with comparable to the Leupold VX2 or 3 series?

I have a pair of Zeiss compact binocs. I carry them every day on my hikes, and like them very much. They are made in Hungary, not Deutschland, and I don't care one bit. I like them. The same uitlity may exist with the Conquest scopes, I am not sure.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Feedback on Leupold VX-L and Conquest Scopes??? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #110534 - 27/07/08 02:33 PM

Maybe Zeiss has changed their coatings from their initial scopes??

My 10x Zeiss 44 mm objective visibility outlasted my 10x Leupold by almost 7-8 minutes at dusk.The Leupold was similar to a S&B 10x with a 50mm objective. I feel the difference is in the coatings as they all transmit 90+% light when the objectives are "clean"!!

--------------------

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #110538 - 27/07/08 02:59 PM

I had a VXIII fail on my .338 winchester magnum and sent it back. It is fixed now. I put the Zeiss in my .375 ruger and it recoils significantly more than the .338, and the Zeiss is doing wonderfully so far. I'm taking at to Zimbabwe nest month. I have another VXIII sighted in ready to put on it if the Zeiss fails, vice versa.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2065

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com