Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: another one done

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
another one done
      #110379 - 25/07/08 10:30 AM

Hi Guys

I got another one finished.
It's done in English style (Rigby) and it's a 16 bore (.66 caliber)
It's on it's way to the customer now.
The wood is beautiful. It's one of those "sleepers" that got better and better as I worked it down from the blank.
Very nice gun.

Steve

Edited by szihn (26/07/08 04:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: another one done [Re: szihn]
      #110382 - 25/07/08 10:52 AM

Steve.
BEAUTIFULL!!!!!!!
Martin

Charles
.275 member

Reged: 13/12/07
Loc: Texas
Re: another one done [Re: beleg2]
      #110384 - 25/07/08 10:59 AM

OH YEAH !!!!!

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: another one done [Re: Charles]
      #110390 - 25/07/08 01:06 PM

Beautiful work. Awesome wood!

--------------------
One day at a time...

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
      #110395 - 25/07/08 04:31 PM

Steve,

this is beautiful!
What's the barrel length and the weight of this rifle?

Fuhrmann

szihn
.400 member

Re: another one done [Re: fuhrmann]
      #110396 - 25/07/08 04:36 PM

It weighs about 8.75 pounds and the barrel is 32" long.

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #110398 - 25/07/08 04:41 PM

Wow Steve-

Great looking rifle.
Love the wood!
I'd definitely like something like that on a custom rifle...

I hope all's hanging in there with you lately.
I just got something in the mail today that should keep me off the streets and outta trouble for a couple of weeks at least.
Doing some clearing and culling in the safe to make room for the day I'm the lucky guy who's about to get a crate from your postal code!

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: another one done [Re: tinker]
      #110406 - 25/07/08 10:23 PM

Steve,
That's a Very Nice rifle! Would you mind telling me where you got the lock and the patent breech for this project? I especially like the shadow line cheeckpiece and the checkered panels, you really nailed it with this treatment. Bob H.

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: another one done [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #110408 - 25/07/08 11:20 PM

GORGEOUS!!!! as usual

szihn
.400 member

Re: another one done [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #110409 - 25/07/08 11:22 PM

The lock is a Davis, and the breach plug is an Allan Foundry casting, but both had to be modified to work. There are no castings available on the market today that will work as they come for this kind of rifle, so you have to use what you can get and modify, or make them from bar stock.

Thanks for the complements guys.
Steve

eljefedouble
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/06
Loc: Vic, Australia
      #110430 - 26/07/08 05:33 AM

Wish I was a termite!awesome...

--------------------
"it dont mean a thing, if it aint got no zing"
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: another one done [Re: eljefedouble]
      #110444 - 26/07/08 10:49 AM

Very nice work Steve.

Best Regards

szihn
.400 member

Re: another one done [Re: Bramble]
      #110445 - 26/07/08 11:01 AM

Thanks again guys.
Your all the finest of gentleman.

Steve

bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
Re: another one done [Re: Bramble]
      #110446 - 26/07/08 11:01 AM

Steve, I guess with another one down, my 2B. project moves up one notch?? thanks

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

szihn
.400 member

Re: another one done [Re: bigdog]
      #110447 - 26/07/08 11:08 AM

yup, it's in #1 place now
I will have in "fireable" in about 2 days. (Of cource, I'm not firing it! I'm afraid of it!)
I still have to sand the stock and attach the nose cap and grip cap ( both made of ebony, but I am still waiting on a piece big enough. I hope to have it in a few weeks)
I also have to make a front and rear sight.
Tomorrow I make and inlet the trigger and trigger guard. Maybe I can also get the sights made too, but we'll have to see. Hand making parts this large is time consuming.
The wood is very pretty. I specified that if had to be HARD and DENSE, but Mr. Harrison also gave me one that was beautiful. I think you'll like it.
I'll be in touch from time to time and let you know how things are going.

SZ

Edited by szihn (26/07/08 11:17 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #110448 - 26/07/08 11:12 AM

Nice, Steve - very nice indeed. Was the heel position ordered due to fit, or just the way the blank turned out?
; I really like the wrist and checkering.
; I've decided that 16 bore will be my next 'hunting' rifle. I shoot a longrifle flinter at rendezvous, but for a hunting rifle the English Sporting Rifle is the ultimate.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bigdog
.375 member

Re: another one done [Re: DarylS]
      #110450 - 26/07/08 11:18 AM

Thanks for the update Steve. I am getting anxious!!! When will the bullet ball molds be ready??

--------------------

szihn
.400 member

Re: another one done [Re: DarylS]
      #110452 - 26/07/08 11:29 AM

Hi Daryl.

I am not sure what you mean "Was the heel position ordered due to fit".
It's a very large butt plate (over 5" tall and 2 3/8" wide) and it has a long heel return. It's just a style I like from the English tradition of the day. It really spreads the recoil out, and with a heavy charge, it is still pleasant to fire.

I hunt with my flinter. It's a Christian Springs "Transitional rifle (American Jaeger) and i love the way it handles and feels. They look a lot different then the English stalking rifles, but they feel the same way for the same reasons. Tall wide flat butts, balanced just 2-3 inches in front of the lock, very fast to the shoulder and very accurate. Just 100 years earlier, but a well made rifle is going to have the same features if it's going to handle the same way regardless of age. People are still people. Technology changes, but our bodies are still human.

Solomon said "there's nothing new under the sun"
I believe he's right.
Happy hunting.
Steve

Edited by szihn (26/07/08 11:31 AM)

szihn
.400 member

#110454 - 26/07/08 11:32 AM

BigDog, the mold is ready now. I have it in hand

Edited by szihn (26/07/08 11:35 AM)

bigdog
.375 member

#110458 - 26/07/08 02:53 PM

Steve, hard to believe the size of it, compared to this .66 cal.Thanks

--------------------

Edited by bigdog (27/07/08 02:47 PM)

szihn
.400 member

Re: another one done\ [Re: bigdog]
      #110462 - 26/07/08 04:18 PM

Yeah, 2 bore is over 2 times larger in diameter.
.66 X 2= 1.220"
2 bore = 1.325"

And the 66 fires a 1 oz ball
Your 2 bore will fire an 8 oz ball.

EGADS!

(I should engrave "Krupp" or "front towards enemy" ...................
or "have a nice day", on the muzzle)

bigdog
.375 member

Re: another one done\ [Re: szihn]
      #110537 - 27/07/08 02:51 PM

Steve, pm sent

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: another one done\ [Re: bigdog]
      #110548 - 28/07/08 12:29 AM

Steve - I agree, the Christian Springs rifle and later Jaegers fit much like a fine English rifle. Another is the .50 Virginia rifle Taylor finished a year ago for shooting targets at Rondy. It fits perfectly, and this can be attributed to the fairly straight comb and proper drop. Enlarged in bore size and shortened for hunting, it'd be perfect as well. The Germanic influance is noticable. It was the later percussion period that really screwed up the hunting qualities of the American rifle. The Brits on the other hand, raised the English Sporting rifle to it's zernith of shape. Of course, hunting demands in India and Africa drove this 'shape' to it's conclusion. For a rifle to handle as a fine shotgun, is the ultimate' in utility and form.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Re: another one done\ [Re: DarylS]
      #110551 - 28/07/08 02:01 AM

Daryl's right. The early German and American rifles were also VERY well designed and were made to fit, one at a time
In the 1820s in America, the industry was headed for a period of mass production, and the coming era of the percussion rifle doomed the era of the "hand made one at a time" rifle. These things never change.
Look at the stock designs of these rifles. Ignoring the art forms, if we look at any well made rifle we see that the basics are the same. 1750, 1780 1860 ........ we are still Human Beings.

Be it a 1750 Jaeger or a 2000 double rifle, they must fit a human body, and so the foundations don't change much. Only the art forms change.
The market will demand what it demands. You see, just as now, the average man could not afford a hand made rifle, and if a military or quasi-military musket, or a "pattern rifle" is available at 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a hand made rifle, most people will buy the less expensive rifle.

How many owners of Ruger, Remington and Winchesters are there in the USA and Canada today for every owner of a custom "fitted rifle"?
It's not that there was anything functionally wrong with a 'pattern gun' like a Derringer trade rifle, or a Leman trade rifle, just as the Ruger today is a completely functional rifle. But the idea that "one size fits all" is just not realistic. Sure, almost any man can shoot a factory rifle, and for the large majority of hunters today, who get out and fire about 20-60 rounds a year, a Ruger (or any other one you like) represents a remarkable value for what you get compared to what you pay.
But no factory made rifle can ever be expected to have the refinements of one that's hand made.

In the days before "standardization" in the arms industry, ALL arms were hand made. Now that's not to say all were made well, but all were made one at a time, so in those days you could find rifles that fit better then you could in the 1820-1870 period in America.
The English and the Germans never lost the "hand made" idea of their industry, but the Americans did to a large extent. And that would have been predictable too. Only in America was the arms industry driven by a market place of "the common man" In Europe, it was driven my military contracts and by the whims of the very rich.

So the USA gave the world a lot of designs that have changed the face of the industry. Out of the USA came "cheep" lever actions, rolling blocks, falling blocks, semi-autos, revolvers, good semi-auto pistols, pump shotguns, Auto shotguns and so on. The British and the Germans gave the world the basic concept and the perfection of the double, and the bolt rifle, but most other advances came from America, because of the industrialization of the market. That's both blessing and a curse at the same time.
The designs that came from the USA were well received for their advancements in their mechanical forms, but with such industry came the decline of the hand made stock. The mechanical forms took preeminence over the 'human factors' to some extent.
So that's why the "feel" of there hand made guns is unmatched today, just as it's always been.

Sure, an FN-FAL (John Browning design- i.e.. BAR type action--- with the bolt lock turned upside down) is a "better WEAPON than a fine muzzleloader, but to those of us that love the old hand made guns, that's not an issue.
A $350 Mossburg 30-06 is a far better weapon to trust your life to than a $6,000 Hand made German Flint Jaeger, but if you life is not on the line, you pick up the Mossburg and you feel as if you have a $350 rifle in your hands, because you do.
THAT's the difference!

I am effectively a toy maker. I cater to the wants of men and women that are not trusting they lives to my flintlocks, but are buying them as objects of love and investment. As things that they can feel joy in using, and heirloom quality, so their children and grandchildren will have a family treasure.
I have no intention of making a "better weapon for hunting than a Ruger M77.
I have no intention of making a "better" combat weapon than an AR-15, AK47, G-3 or FN-FAL.

It's a different product to serve a different function and wrapped in a different mindset.

Forgive the ramblings of a man on his hilltop in Wyoming this morning. Just thinking and letting the thoughts come out my fingers.

Hope all is well in the world with all those that read these words, and may God guide you
Steve

Edited by szihn (28/07/08 07:16 AM)

szihn
.400 member

Re: another one done\ [Re: szihn]
      #110689 - 30/07/08 12:40 AM

In my writings above, I perhaps should not have used the word "cheap". Instead, the word "affordable" conveys the idea I am trying to express a lot better then "cheep".
In the USA more than most other countries in the world, the ownership of firearms was something the common working man could attain with relative ease. With few exceptions, it's still true today, despite the efforts of the communist minded and treasonous ones here in the USA trying to reverse that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9499

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com