Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large game?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large game?
      #109972 - 19/07/08 04:20 AM

Triggered by Lancaster's thread, I started wondering about the effect of those rifles on larger game.
The only ballistic figures I found were in the 1900 article by Preuss mentioned in the other thread:
a 24 bore (14.7 mm) cape gun used a ca. 22 gram cats head bullet behind 2.5 grams of black powder, giving a velocity of 265 m/s at 25 meters.

The 1877 book by Zimmer gives slightly stronger, but rather general loading recommendations:
caliber between 13.5 mm and 14.5 mm
bullet weight between 18 g and 25 g
powder charge between 3 g and 3.5 g
ratio powder to bullet between 1:6 and 1:7
Bullet velocity to be around 300 m/s.

I understand that in these days powder charges for breechloaders were about the same, certainly not more than for muzzleloading rifles.
I remember an old hunter's proverb:
Wenig Kraut und viel Lot schiesst weit und schiesst tot.
A little powder and much lead shoots far and shoots dead.

Now I am certainly not a magnum freak or the like, but at a red stag such loads seem anemic to me.
Still, the old European hunters managed to work with them.

Later BP cartridges used heavier bullets and much more powder and pushed their bullets beyond 400 m/s.
Also American muzzleloading plains rifles also were intended for lots of powder, for a powder to bullet ratio up to 1:2, resulting in really high velocity of the patched ball.
With such loads there is plenty of experience, they seem to work fine.

Can anybody tell about hunting with the old weak bore rifles?

Fuhrmann

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large game? [Re: fuhrmann]
      #109974 - 19/07/08 05:12 AM

Hi Fuhrmann..

What "hunting-experience" are you looking for..nowadays? or historical?. There are a few who still bring these bore-rifles on modern safaris. They are posting on this forum too.Do a search, and you shall find..hahaha
You mention "old weak bore rifles"...well. They may be weak compared in construction compared to newmade doubles, but powerwise these weak borerifles can actually supercede most of the modern calibers...with exceptions ofcouse.
I see you are from Suisse...My mother lives near Biel

fuhrmann
.333 member

Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large game? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #109978 - 19/07/08 05:54 AM

Quote:

Hi Fuhrmann..

What "hunting-experience" are you looking for..nowadays? or historical?. There are a few who still bring these bore-rifles on modern safaris. They are posting on this forum too.Do a search, and you shall find..hahaha
You mention "old weak bore rifles"...well. They may be weak compared in construction compared to newmade doubles, but powerwise these weak borerifles can actually supercede most of the modern calibers...with exceptions ofcouse.
I see you are from Suisse...My mother lives near Biel

Rigbymauser,

modern, own experience and opinion would be great.
If there is historical reference, that's interesting, too.
With "weak bore rifles" I meant those mentioned in the few sources I found; 24 to 28 gauge, very modest powder charges. From the few literature sources I have, and also from what guns I see at auctions or in museums, I must conclude that these rifles were predominant in middle Europe, and were used for any hoofed game that was around - mostly the small roe deer (no problem, I assume) but also red deer, wild boar etc, and there i simply wonder.

Sure, a 12, 10 or 8 bore rifle is a different thing and not "weak". But you do not find these often, so you may conclude they were not the rule back then.
And modern experience with shotgun slugs (ballistics quite comparable to the old bore rifles) normally tells that one should at least use 16 gauge, nothing less, better 12.
"Powerwise": I know kinetic energy will be just one part of the equation - but what other criterium should one use to easily define "power".
And any standard middle caliber centerfire rifle cartridge (think 8x57 or .30-06) will easily exceed a shotgun slug in kinetic energy.

Fuhrmann

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large g [Re: fuhrmann]
      #109985 - 19/07/08 08:41 AM

No experience here with the 24b or 28b light, short cartridge bore rifles, on any kind of game.

24b = .579"
28b = .550"

One of our members, a rifle builder from Wyoming named SZIHN, or a member from Canada, a man named Daryl, might be able to shed some light for you on the performance of roundball in these diameters from various charges of blackpowder in muzzle-loading rifles.

You need to define how much powder though.
As these rifles are all so unique, and there were different weights of rifle (and lengths of cartridge, lengths of barrel), and since this question seems to be an excursion of rhetorical nature, you need to fill in some of the blanks before you'll get solid answers regarding performance of projectiles scaled to the bore sizes you note and the relative nature of 'light' 'weak' etc

Again, running examples of these old rifles are extremely rare here in the 21st century.
You are likely to get good field report data, but you need to consider the 'on the ground' reality of how scarce these rifles you ask about are.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large g [Re: tinker]
      #110013 - 19/07/08 06:08 PM

if we have a velocity/energy between a 577 snider - 480 grain lead with 1250 ft per sec, 1660 ft.-lb and a 20/70 brenneke - 370 grain lead with 1413 ft per sec, 1636 ft.-lb it must work on big game till 50 meter or more

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/849/t/Bison-with-a-Snider.html

shooting discipline seems me very important. the case have to load to its full potential. my husqvarna shoot a 480 grain with 90 grain BP but the old swed's use only a 15mm roundball for the annually moose in its good old days.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

fuhrmann
.333 member

#110039 - 20/07/08 01:37 AM

Tinker,

you are right, I will also post my question to the muzzleloading forum here.
As for definition of bullet and powder weights, I have given some numbers in my above posting.

Fuhrmann

fuhrmann
.333 member

Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large g [Re: lancaster]
      #110040 - 20/07/08 01:48 AM

Quote:

if we have a velocity/energy between a 577 snider - 480 grain lead with 1250 ft per sec, 1660 ft.-lb and a 20/70 brenneke - 370 grain lead with 1413 ft per sec, 1636 ft.-lb it must work on big game till 50 meter or more

shooting discipline seems me very important. the case have to load to its full potential. my husqvarna shoot a 480 grain with 90 grain BP but the old swed's use only a 15mm roundball for the annually moose in its good old days.

Lancaster,
nice example!
Bullet weight and/or velocity will be a bit higher than the numbers given in Zimmer's book, though.
Shooting discipline: yes, reminds me of the text from 1900 that I copied to the other thread - only broadside shots, wait a long time before tracking etc.

Fuhrmann

fuhrmann
.333 member

Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large game? [Re: fuhrmann]
      #110069 - 20/07/08 05:00 PM

Quote:

The only ballistic figures I found were in the 1900 article by Preuss mentioned in the other thread:
a 24 bore (14.7 mm or .58'') cape gun used a ca. 22 gram (340 grains) cats head bullet behind 2.5 38.6 grains) grams of black powder, giving a velocity of 265 m/s (870 fps) at 25 meters.

The 1877 book by Zimmer gives slightly stronger, but rather general loading recommendations:
caliber between 13.5 mm and 14.5 mm (.53 to .57'')
bullet weight between 18 g and 25 g (278 to 386 grains)
powder charge between 3 g and 3.5 g (46 3 to 54 grains)
Bullet velocity to be around 300 m/s. (ca. 1000 fps)

I have translated these numbers to "non-metrics", for easier cross-reference.
A note to the reference of ca. 1000 fps velocity: this probably is not muzzle velocity. Zimmer says: "a bullet usually covers the distance of 1000 feet in one second". He was obviously not able to measure muzzle velocity. So this may be a mean number, corresponding to a muzzle velocity of roughly 400 m/s or 1300 fps.

Fuhrmann

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #110074 - 20/07/08 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

a 24 bore (14.7 mm or .58'') cape gun used a ca. 22 gram (340 grains) cats head bullet behind 2.5 38.6 grains) grams of black powder, giving a velocity of 265 m/s (870 fps) at 25 meters.

caliber between 13.5 mm and 14.5 mm (.53 to .57'')
bullet weight between 18 g and 25 g (278 to 386 grains)
powder charge between 3 g and 3.5 g (46 3 to 54 grains)
Bullet velocity to be around 300 m/s. (ca. 1000 fps)

I have translated these numbers to "non-metrics", for easier cross-reference.
A note to the reference of ca. 1000 fps velocity: this probably is not muzzle velocity. Zimmer says: "a bullet usually covers the distance of 1000 feet in one second". He was obviously not able to measure muzzle velocity. So this may be a mean number, corresponding to a muzzle velocity of roughly 400 m/s or 1300 fps.

Fuhrmann

you are right and I was wrong.
this is the only problem I find in this list. firing a 340 grain bullet with 38,6 grain blackpowder is not enough!, only for target shooting. believe that the list was made under the scientific method but there is no possibility to say it hundred years later why he load only 38 grain BP in the case. maybe he remembered wrong from his youth, maybe it was the "working load" around 1865 when you only go on roe dear at 60 meter.
I will look for orignal loads for muzzle loader's from this time. believe they show also very low loads. wasn't your muzzle loader not shooting with a similar light load fuhrmann?

recommended method for bore gun catridges was to load a wad under the bullet.

Zimmer's load is under the 20 ga brenneke standard.I think you will agree that the 20 ga slug is the minimum for big game hunting. nobody care's about it in 1870 "At that time, a long time consuming search for a wounded animal was the main topic of conversation among hunters; the detailed description of such a search was listened to with excitement. Whoever showed himself lacking in tracking skills would be considered unworthy of the name of hunter, despite whatever skills in stalking or shooting he might possess."
and I dare to say that nobody before 1850 was even knowing that there can be a difference between high and low loads.
its the achievement of the brits in india like Baker to develop the big bore cartridges.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#110076 - 20/07/08 07:03 PM

Gentlemen-

For my regulating load
I get 2-1/2 drm ffg goex, a card over powder, 1/4"lubricated felt wad, 1/4" lubricated felt 'donut' wad (same as first one, with hole cut in the middle) then the ball in my 16b SxS rifles.
That still gives me a little room before rifling starts.
Sorry no chronograph data. Chronograph has always been fussy or the sky has been 'not so perfect' for good chronograph results when I shoot the 16b rifles.

--Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

fuhrmann
.333 member

#110078 - 20/07/08 08:46 PM

Quote:

1. this is the only problem I find in this list. firing a 340 grain bullet with 38,6 grain blackpowder is not enough!, only for target shooting. believe that the list was made under the scientific method but there is no possibility to say it hundred years later why he load only 38 grain BP in the case. maybe he remembered wrong from his youth, maybe it was the "working load" around 1865 when you only go on roe dear at 60 meter.
I will look for orignal loads for muzzle loader's from this time. believe they show also very low loads. wasn't your muzzle loader not shooting with a similar light load fuhrmann?
2. its the achievement of the brits in india like Baker to develop the big bore cartridges.

ad 1. Yes, I also was confused by this, and by Zimmer's reference to velocity ("bullet travels 1000 feet per second").
I completely forgot about my muzzloader data, I will dig these out.
If you have original data from the period to compare, it will be very interesting.

ad 2. The Brits certainly invented the express cartridge. Didn't Baker still use muzzleloaders?
That's an interesting question: who invented "high velocity" loads in muzzleloading rifles?
I have some reports about lots of powders being used in American rifles.

Fuhrmann

fuhrmann
.333 member

#110079 - 20/07/08 08:48 PM

Tinker,

one dram is 27.34 grains or 1.772 grams, right?
Then this also is a very moderate load.

Fuhrmann

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#110101 - 21/07/08 03:11 AM

Fuhrmann-

1 ounce = 16 drams = 437.5 grains.
1 dram = 27.34375 grains = 1.772 grams.
1 gram = 15.432 grains = 0.564 drams.

These rifles are not Africa or India 'Express' rifles at all.

See the little photograph next to my name Tinker on the left side of your screen?
Right click that image, select 'View Image' from the little menu and left click it (unless you're using a MAC, then you're on your own...) and the image will spring up, bigger in a new screen. That is a light hunting rifle, although it is a very unique one. I can specify actual measurements some other day (or go digging in my database...) but I assure you it's no 'Giant Killer' at all.

In that image you will see the rifle laying across the first target it printed in well over 100 years, along with some of the antique loading tools I use to load for it, and some brass cartridge cases that I machined out of solid brass for the rifle. See those two holes on the bottom left side of the target?
Those were the first two hits, left and right.
I chose the bottom of the target mount board so that I wouldn't 'mess up' the target with my first attempt with the rifle!!

That is the 'light one' of my two 16b SxS rifles, somewhat similar to Marrakai's 'howdah rifle' -- mine even has a bayonet lug! The other one is a bit heavier, with longer barrels, and it actually uses a slightly longer case and runs better with more powder (higher velocity etc).

The .666" Pure Lead round ball bullets cruise quite swiftly, even at 100 yards they go deeply into an old hard earth hill side.
At 25 yards, they will completely explode a 5 gallon pail of firm mud, very violently.

As a hunting projectile the Lead Round Ball is an angry bastard.
Both of my 16b double rifles, in this very entertaining fashion, are set up to take this .666" bullet diameter. The old 'pincher' mould I have for the round ball creates a very nice pure lead ball in that diameter every time.

Although I have not taken this rifle on game yet, I would definitely use it on our western Black Bear. Close up it's accurate enough for good, solid neck shots.

--Tinker

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #110110 - 21/07/08 06:44 AM

Hi guys - Tinker brought my attention to this thread and for that I thank him. I find large bores and round balls more than interesting.

Sorry to say, I have no experience with light charges in large bore conical shooting guns on game. My experiences do however, cover reasonable powder charges with smaller bore round ball guns, as well as those same round ball slow twist(ie: 48" or slower twist) rifles using elongated slugs, both to paper accuracy and their effects on moose. My experience also covers the 'bore' size of round balls on moose, but these two also used normal muzzleloading hunting charges, not small, short case ctg. charges.

The smallest bore size I've witnessed being used on moose was a 26" barrelled .45 cal. rifle, shootng a .440" patched round ball with 90gr. 2F powder. The moose was shot at 40 yards and ran 110yards before dropping dead, bled out from the double lung hit. The small ball was flattened against a rib on the far side, having gone between the ribs on the impact side. I do not consider the .45 round ball suitable for game the size of a B.C. moose. The same rifle, shooting Maxiballs, seemed ineffective on moose as the bullets refused to go in a straight line after impact and it took long tracking and multiple shooting to bring the moose down. My constant preaching on round balls is why the person then tried round balls in the .45, with much better success - however, I consider the .45 as a deer ball only, not for moose or elk. Had the ball hit a rib on the way in, it most likely would have failed to make the off lung, desirable for a quick kill.

The .50 and .54 maxiballs shot from the 48" twist TC rifles also failed miserably in the same way as the .45 rifel did, firing the same bullets. The 48" twist was too slow to stabilize the bullet after impact. Note that all three calibres shot well on paper, which leads the shooter to think they are stabilized. They are lonly stabile as fas as penetrating air is concerned. They tend to make 90 degree turns on impact with no more than the hair and fat on a moose, not even having to hit bone to turn. Tracking moose for 3 ro 4 hours trying to bring down the first one hit is not fun at -30 to -50 temps. All of these guys have switched to round balls and all have perfect results now - one shot, one moose. The guys shooting .50's with fast RB twists of 48" are using around 90 to 100gr. 2F. The .54's with this twist do well with 100 to 110gr., while the slower twist shooters 70 to 80" twists are generally using 100 to 120gr. in the .50's and 110 to 140gr. in the .54's. Charges will vary as I know guys who use only 80gr. in .50's thorugh .60's for deer, preferring normally to increase the charge some for moose or elk.

The bore rifles from 16 to 10 can get by with smaller charges per ratio to ball weightas they are shooting balls of 400gr. to 650gr. weight. Too, in order to make the 1,800fps to 2,000fps of the small bores, inordinate powder charge would have to be used. In real life, they cannot obtain these velocities. We strive for 1,550fps normally. With 140gr. of Swiss in a 16 bore, you will see 1,800fps. In my 14 bore, with a 480gr. ball, I was unable to hit 1,800fps with 330gr. of powder. That one registered 1,770fps, only 70 fps more than 200gr. gave me. The barrel length was a hunting one of 30" for the English style rifle used. The bore rifles stagger moose. The moose actually shrinks form impact. The smaller, higher velocity rifles case an immediate startled run. The big bores usually drop the animal where it's standing sometimes immediately, other times after standing, slighty collapsed in stature and looking very sick, or it slowly walks away depending on the hit, up to 30 yards before expiring. One thing is apparent in comparring the results I've seen from .45 through 10 bore, is size matters. Powder charges should be used to deliver as flat a trajectory as regulation will allow. The flatter the trajectory, the easier it is to hit the perfect spot. That is the centre to centre-low lungs(to include arteries or heart), where-ever they might be, depending on the animal being shot. Some animals live high & centred in the chest, others low and forward. Bore rifles rule with large game. These animals can easily be shot with smaller calibred rifles, but the animals rarely show signs they've been it - they merely run off as if only startled. Too, they don't leave any hole that leaks blood. There is never a blood trail from a moose shot with round balls. Big bores stagger them - no uncertainty of the hit, and will leave an entry hole that leaks a bit, but then, with a perect broadsize shot, the exit hole sprays considerably. Small bore balls don't exit - just like most modern bullets.

The notation givin in another's post about a small powder charge, large lead load was attributed to a shot charge in a smooth bore, I had been lead to believe. In practise, this works - ie: 12 to 14 bore, 1 1/8oz shot, 2 1/2 drams of powder = good patterns and good killing power, ie: more shot volume than powder volume. Adding more powder usually causes holes in the pattern.

An expample of a Moose Kill with a 'descent' bore sized rifle. In this case, it was a 14 bore rifle, firing 165gr. of 2F GOEX with a .683" pure lead ball patched in .022" Denim. Paper ctg. had a .685" WW ball due to alloys casting slightly larger in size. I usually say the gun shoots .684" for an average. The muzzle velocity of these loads is 1,550fps. For this rifle, 100 meters is point blank.

The first moose I shot with the 14 bore ball was standing some 90 meters away and needed 2 balls for the kill. It showed most emphatically what I'm talking about with the big bores stopping or staggering power, so bear with me and try to visualize this end of a hunt.
: I'd tracked this moose for what seemed to be a mile, before catching up. The moose was on the other side of a meadow of willow bushes, a mere 10 meters from the bush line. The light was starting to fade, as it does in the Chetwynd/Dawson Creek area of BC. If I wanted this moose, it had to be now. This was my first hunt with the 14 bore my brother had built for me, although I'd shot it for the winter and summer 1986 season at rendezvous. many learned of it's power when shooting, but mostly recognised it's incredible long range accuracy on the 300 meter steel plate. None who shot it, missed, but few wanted another shot. It's 165gr. charge with a 480gr. ball did casue it to back up smartly. The moose!
: After a steady hold, usual for moose, the sights just don't wiggle at all, boom - the ball hit a sea of willows before impacting the shoulder about 1/2 way down on the leg, pddddddddddddddd-thwouck - what a sound!! breaking the bone fairly low but adjacent to the middle of the ribs and exiting out the other side of the leg's muscle to stop against a rib without penetrating through, into the rib cage. The ball was expanded only slightly from the bone, but showed multuple grooving around it's nose from the willows it plowed through before hitting the moose. It must have hit well over a dozen, some up to 3/4" thick before impacting. It's a wonder it even hit the moose. On impact, I could see the bull stagger sideways a step or maybe even 2, the turn around to present his other side, standing, shaking his head side to side as if trying to clear his mind. This gave me another chance as I quickly reloaded with a paper ctg. which had a .685" WW ball & the same charge as before. This shot, made from a slightly clearer angle a couple steps over, only struck a few willows, plainly heard, Pddd-thwuouk hitting in the middle of the rib cage, same 90 meter range. Impacting sqare on a rib, it punched through but also broke out a 6" long piece of that same rib, incredibely, ripping it out of the heavy muscle and tissue and driving that 6" long chard of bone completely though both lungs on a downward angle to stick between two ribs on the off side, down low, near their tips, just like a knife thrust. The ball carried on across the rib cage in a straight line, obviously still stable, making 3" holes through both lungs, then smashed into off shoulder bone, high hear the start of the blade, about 2" higher than where the first ball had punched through this same leg bone. It came to rest against the hide, slighlty flattened. At the shot, the moose turned 90 degrees while dropping his hind quarters to a sitting position, his butt on the ground, head and rack held up high and shaking his rack side to side. Being double lunged at his time, the third shot was superfluous. The paper ctgs. I'd developed allow for a quick (for a muzzleloader) 8 second reload and shot. This shot, loaded with a WW alloy ball, Whwhacccck clak/clak/clak! - struck between the shoulders, smack dab in the middle, slicing down through the vertical blades and hitting the spine dead centre. The ball tore a 1" hole through the spine, then between the lobes of the lung fronts to exit out the chest and brisket and clack through the bush as it hit the odd branch or small tree. Of course, at that shot, the moose dropped like a rock.

Small calibre balls do not apply to this situation. On this moose, he may have been lost due to lack of penetration of bone or missed entirely due to the willows. They fail badly at this. Only properly stabilized slugs can compete in penetration with large bore round balls, and even then, the small bore slug lacks the impressive 'stopping' & "staggering" power of a bore-sized ball. To me, bore - sized means anything over 17 bore.

FPE does not have much if anything to do with killing or stopping power. One merely has to do some comparrisons to see this. I've seen a .54 RB, driven at 1,800fps muzzle velocity, drop a big bull moose in 40 yards. That shot was made at 170 yards. Impact energy was 790 fpe - not total energy, but 790fpe LESS than noted for being minimum for deer - of course, it's the self proclaimed experts (gun writers) who set these standards and put all their faith in FPE. That .54 RB had 210fpe at impact, yet went through a rib, holed both lungs and the heat and came to rest on the off side. It had enough poop left to push the hide away from the moose's side and create a 4" circle of blood shotting in the conective tissue. The moose bolted at impact and dropped dead midstride, 40 yards from impact. Does that make the .54 RB a 170 yard mose gun? Had I been the guide, I wouldn't have let the hunter shoot. It does show rather graphically that FPE has little to do with killing power. One gun writer's minimum for moose is 1,500fpe. That .54RB was 1,290fpe short of his minimum. Some people get paid by the word, not for the word.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Re: Who hunts with early bore rifles - experience on large g [Re: DarylS]
      #110122 - 21/07/08 10:47 AM

Thanks Daryl.

Roundball is so damn cool.

Daryl notes some FPE numbers on that .54RB Moose kill at 170 yards, including autopsy details.
The terminal performance of that mid-size ball rifle at 170 yards was pretty damn good.
Curious about impact velocity?

I'm guilty of quick and dirty, and as I have the Lyman BP manual at my side here which includes some load comparison charts for the .535 roundball, they include MV/FPE and Vel/FPE at 100 yards.
Leg's up in a splint right now, so I'll take from this instead of firing up a calculator or getting up to grab another chart.

At MV1800fps, the ball is doing about 1090fps at 100yd shedding 710fps
At MV1090fps, the ball is doing about 850fps at 100yd shedding 240fps

That's based on 230 grains weight, it hit the moose at just over 900fps!!

Not bad.
Slow little lightweight ball.
Not bat at all!

--Tinker

--------------------

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #110125 - 21/07/08 11:47 AM

Fuhrmann, I'm also one of the Luddites who likes to hunt with bore guns. In April I shot an elephant at 70yds with a 4-bore 1965 grain conical leaving the muzzle at a sedate 1125fps. Impact velocity probably was less than 1000fps, but it went through 4 feet of elephant and was against the skin on the far side (bullet on right, the left was a shot up into his chest when on the ground). I'd considered using roundballs but decided to go with the extra weight of a conical vs the higher velocity of a ball, but I'm sure it would have done just as well.

I also shot a zebra with a 700gn round ball from an 1870's Tolley 10 bore at 1280fps MV at 80 yards and it went straight through. My shot placement was too high and he took off, but there was blood sprayed all over the grass from the exit. I'm going to use the same gun with 140gn FFFg and roundballs next month for moose, and if I'm lucky, griz in October. Daryl has made a believer out of me when it comes to the power of these big, 'slow' bullets that just keep going. They perform far out of propotion to what their Ft-lbs of energy numbers suggest.

[image][/image]

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Edited by Omnivorous_Bob (21/07/08 11:49 AM)

fuhrmann
.333 member

#110141 - 21/07/08 04:01 PM

Daryl,

thanks for this great report!
We simply do have this experience here in Europe any more. Hunting with BP and especially muzzleloaders is in many places illegal, and of zero interest to hunters.

Let me try to summarize this - please correct me if I got it wrong.

You try to have high initial velocity, but mainly to avoid sighting problems due to bullet drop.
1800 fps is 550 m/s, that's the muzzle velocity of a BPE cartridge rifle!
But a fast light round ball loses velocity quickly, so a shot beyond 100 yards will practically have the same effect as a short range shot at low muzzle velocity (thanks to Tinker for pointing this out). Still, a .535 ball can kill a moose at 170 yards.
But you also say that there are some risks with the "smallbores": animals may run off with no sign of being hit, no blood trail, maybe lack of penetration if a bone it hit. This reminds me of the text from 1905 that I put into another thread. I will copy this here, too.
Large caliber balls work differently, the shatter or shock the animal, and have reliable penetration due to high weight. - Thanks to Omnivorous Bob here, impressive!
One cannot compare FPE numbers of a round ball with modern jacketed bullets.

Fuhrmann

fuhrmann
.333 member

#110143 - 21/07/08 04:06 PM

Here is an excerpt from a German book on big game hunting (Die Hohe Jagd, 1905). In short, it says that with the then modern BP express and nitro cartridges the need of searching for wounded game is much smaller.

„.... dass infolge der Verbesserung unserer Jagdwaffen die Nachsuche nicht entfernt mehr die Bedeutung hat, wie noch vor 40 Jahre. Als ich damals in die Jägerpraxis eintrat, schoss noch die Mehrzahl der Hochwildjäger mit Rundkugeln aus Vorderladerbüchsen, selbst wenn sie beim Scheibenschiessen die Spitzkugel bevorzugten; wer über 100 Schritt hinaus auf einen nicht ganz breit stehenden Hirsch schoss, wurde leichtsinnig genannt, wo man auf gute Jagdpflege hielt.
Damals gaben weite, langdauernde Nachsuchen den Hauptgesprächsstoff unter Jägern ab; mit Spannung folgte man den ausführlichen Erzählungen alter Weidmänner über die Wechselfälle einer solchen Nachsuche ..... . Wer sich lässig oder ungewandt bei der Nachsuche zeigte, konnte trotz aller sonstiger Geschicklichkeit im Anbirschen oder Schiessen nicht Anspruch auf den Namen eines guten Jägers machen.
Wie hat sich das durch die Verwendung von Expressbüchsen und Büchsen mit Mantelgeschossen und Nitropulver geändert! Die Mehrzahl der einigermassen gut getroffenen Stücke liegt im Feuer oder bricht angesichts des Schützen zusammen, tut sich bei weniger guten Schüssen in geringer Entfernung schon nieder, sodass man das Verenden abwarten oder nach vorsichtiger Annäherung, oft auch ohne solche, durch einen zweiten Schuss beschleunigen kann ....
In meiner Jugend war es das gewöhnliche, dass beschossenes Rotwild dem Schützen aus den Augen entschwand. Dann wurde der Anschuss aufgesucht und, fand man Birschzeichen, die auf einen guten Schuss hindeuteten, so wartete man dennoch, indem man sich hinsetzte, das mitgenommene Frühstück verzehrte oder sich die Pfeife ansteckte, oder eins nach dem andern tat, eine bis zwei Stunden; oft ging man auch nach Hause, um nach mehreren Stunden mit einem oder mehreren Jagdgefährten zum Anschusse zurückzukehren. War ein Schweisshund zur Verfügung, so musste schon deshalb einige Stunden gewartet werden, weil dieser, damit er ferm bleibt, nur auf kalten Fährten gearbeitet werden soll. Die am Nachmittag beschossenen Stücke, deren Zusammenbrechen man nicht sah oder hörte, durften erst am nächsten Morgen aufgesucht werden und waren dann häufig schon anbrüchig. War ein schlechter Schuss zu vermuten, so wurde auch bei hellem Tage 5-6 Stunden mit der Nachsuche gewartet.
Das ist jetzt vorbei; Vorderladerbüchsen sind wohl nirgends mehr im Gebrauch, sehr selten noch Lefaucheux-Büchsen. Die Wirkung der modernen Waffen und Geschosse .... ist eine derartige, dass Nachsuchen zu den Ausnahmen gehören. Soll man das beklagen? Wohl hatten die Nachsuchen einen grossen Reiz und gaben dem Jäger vortreffliche Gelegenheit, seine weidmännischen Fähigkeiten zu üben; dem standen aber die verlängerten Todesqualen des angeschossenen Wildes gegenüber.“

fuhrmann
.333 member

#110144 - 21/07/08 04:11 PM

This translation was done by Xausa.
I believe the opinion refers to rather small calibers around .54, driven at moderate speed.

"...that as a result of the improvements in our hunting weapons the search for wounded game has nowhere near as much importance as it did 40 years ago. At that time, when I was beginning my hunting experience, most deer and boar hunters still used round balls and muzzle loading rifles, even though they preferred pointed bullets for target shooting; whoever attempted to hit a red deer at more than a hundred meters, unless it was standing broadside, would be condemned as a risk taker as far as good hunting ethics was concerned.

At that time, a long time consuming search for a wounded animal was the main topic of conversation among hunters; the detailed description of such a search was listened to with excitement. Whoever showed himself lacking in tracking skills would be considered unworthy of the name of hunter, despite whatever skills in stalking or shooting he might possess.

How that has changed with the introduction of express rifles, jacketed bullets and smokeless powder! The majority of fairly well hit game animals fall in their tracks or collapse within sight of the hunter, or fall down only a short distance away, even in the case of less successful shots, so that the hunter can wait a short time for them to expire, or by using a careful approach, or even without one, a quick death can be sped up with a second shot.

In my youth it was customary that wounded red deer disappeared from the hunter's view. Then the location of the wounded animal at the moment of the shot was identified and even if a blood trail indicated a well placed shot, the hunter waited a while, perhaps ate the breakfast he had brought with him or smoked his pipe, or both, one after the other, for one or two hours. Often the hunter went home and returned with one or more fellow hunters to the location of the blood trail. Even if a tracking dog was available, he still had to wait a while, since, in order to keep the dog in top form, he would only be allowed to follow a cold trail. Animals which were shot in the afternoon, unless they were seen or heard to have collapsed, would only be searched for the next morning, by which time the meat had often already spoiled. If the shot was suspected of having been poorly placed, then even in broad daylight the search would be postponed for 5-6 hours.

This is now a thing of the past. Muzzleloaders are certainly no longer used, not even Lefaucheaux (pinfire) rifles. The effect of modern weapons and projectiles is of such a nature that the search for wounded game is the exception. Is this something to complain about? Certainly the tracking of wounded game could be very appealing and presented the hunter with an excellent opportunity to display his hunting skills---but opposed to that is the drawn out suffering of the wounded game."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #110170 - 22/07/08 01:04 AM

fuhrmann - thanks to you and Xausa for the 1905 German book on hunting big game. Of the German Steutzen or Jaeger muzzleloading rifles used prior to the 'Express Rifles' I do know a little. The custom made Jaeger rifles were very beautiful and finely made rifles. So intriguing, in fact that my brother built one for use as his own primary hunting rifle here in BC. Also his possession, is a .50 Sharps of quite terminal and superior to 'Express Rifle' performance, along with a modern .356

Commonly, they were of medium bore, .52 to .60 calibre, which is just fine for big game, deer, boar to elk and moose, however they also had very fast rifling twists. These fast twists usually shot wild with heavy charges, so light charges were the norm. Light charges means high trajectories which makes hitting exactly a difficult task in the dark woods, even at relatively close ranges of inside 100yards. Light charge velocties, in the 1,100fps range make for a number inches of correction between 70 yards and 20, enough to cause misses or poor hits along with poor penetration resulting in 'stern' tracking. Here as a normal, if a moose, deer or bear runs out of sight, we sit for at least 15 min. to 1/2 hour to allow the animal to lay down and stiffen. If it isn't chased, it will usually do exactly that. Moose are pussies, normally laying down within 50 yards of where they were shot, of not pursured. Even going to the impact site, can cause a poorly hit moose to seemingly decide on the next province over, or die trying.

Modern made jaeger barrels, as made by Don and John Getz amongst others, have slower twists, which allow heavy charges, which means flat trajectories and high velocties with excellent accuracy, the best that barrel can produce. As to deer, a weak charge of 3 drams with a .595" ball(around 306gr.) is all that is required, the deer rarely moving out of his tracks when hit, and if so, a short trail with a 1" exit pumping blood. This charge will also work on larger game like moose, but not for me, as I prefer to use what the gun wants, and strive for that magical 1,800fps muzzle velocity. A mere 125gr. of GOEX 2F will do 1,800fps and is capable of 1 1/2" accuracy at 100 yards while doing so. My bro uses a bead front sight with a wide "V" rear with higher ears than normal, to allow for easy sight correction for even longer ranges to 150 yards. While I know how deer, moose and elk react to the shot, I've never shot a boar so cannot coment on them. For black bear, a .45 to .50 is fine for many people but for me, a .54 is minimal for these bear and I still prefer a bore-sized rifle for normal hunting with a muzzleloader - .60cal to 20 bore would be about minimum for all-round, and when purposely hunting griz, I'd go for a minimum of 16 bore using a .662" ball. I would not use a conical,a s the hemispherical nose of the ball, coupled with the higher velocity of the ball delivers more of a smashing blow than does the round or flat nosed conical. More penetration, which is delivered by a conical, is not needed in these large bores. When hunting deeply in the bush here, you are just as likely to run into a grizzly's 'area' as a black bear's, so a little more gun is my preference. I've done exactly this too many times now when packing a 'light' rifle, to push my luck any further. I believe in using as much gun as is prudent. There is no common ground between killing a black bear and a grizzly, even if they are the same weight, which happens at times. The shot must be perfect, and have enough smash and penetration to do the job.

The fact that the use of muzzleloaders in Germany's past seemingly produced long, stern tracking with lost game or spoiled meat, shows a defficiency in power or accuracy, or both. We don't have difficulty dropping 1,000 pound or heavier moose with .50's, and indeed, a .45 will do the job if inside 50 yards, but we load them appropriately these days. I understand the boar has a thick 'shield' plate. This, coupled with the hide, ribs and muscle may defeat a slow moving ball of small size. Boars add a more taxing requirement to the game.

Although we haven't been in the 'game' as long as they had been in the past, our knowledge seems to be greater. Visionaries like Lt. James Forsyth knew the score and wrote about it "Sporting Rifles and Their Projectiles" 1861, but many wouldn't listen, like Purdey's along with others, who insisted on fast twists with deep grooves in bore size round ball guns, which produced innaccuracy and stripping if heavy hunting loads were used. I treasure my copy of his book.
; This is my bro's main hunting rifle.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #110178 - 22/07/08 03:50 AM

Nice!!! That wood is to die for, and the metal work ain't too bad either!. VERY classy, thanks for sharing w/us. Pictures like that make it hard to pick up a fiberglass stocked rifle with a straight face.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

fuhrmann
.333 member

#110199 - 22/07/08 06:39 PM

Daryl,

this is one of the rifles I dreamed of!

I cannot tell about barrel details, loads or ballistics of the flintlock Jaeger rifles, or how they evolved until the end of the percussion era.
But I have the reprint a book from 1877 describing these things at length. You may say this is the summary of knowledge accumulated until then. I hope you will enjoy this.

Title is "Die Jagd-Feuergewehre" (The Hunting Firearms), author Adolf Zimmer, gun dealer in Dresden.
Thanks to Lancaster for recommending this book to me some time ago.
A first edition of the book was published in 1869, and this is the second, revised edition.
It covers muzzleloading rifles and shotguns, and then all the breechloaders in use, for pin fire, needle fire and Lancaster cartridges.
The chapters on barrels, sighting-in etc. appear focussed on muzzleloaders. Different loading methods are compared: patched ball or elongated bullet, bullets which are upset during loading, Minie bullets etc. The patched bullet is still preferable for hunting rifles. Loading may take a bit more time, but precision is the best to be obtained. Expansion bullets need length for good sealing and are then too heavy for hunting purposes. The author says that pin fire rifles use similar barrels and bullets as muzzleloaders. Lancaster rifles are very new, and Zimmer doubts that they will succeed, he prefers the Lefaucheux system.
It's funny that the new German military rifle M1871 and the .43 Mauser cartridge are not even considered for hunting. Mr. Zimmer certainly knew his trade, but he erred in his predictions for the future - or he was a bit conservative.

On bullets:
caliber between 13.5 mm and 14.5 mm (.53 to .57''),
bullet weight between 18 g and 25 g (278 to 386 grains).

Bullets with a flat or rounded tip are preferred over bullets with a sharp conical tip, because they are much more stable during penetration, and because they give a bigger entrance wound - for this reason some hunters still use the old round ball.
Military rifles now have 10 to 12 mm caliber, with longer bullets of 18 to 25 grams weight. They certainly have better ballistics and penetration, but are not suitable for hunting because they lack in shocking power and the entrance wound is not large enough.

On barrels:
Usually 6 - 8 grooves, depth of grooves between 0.25 and .35 mm (.01 to .014'').
Twist shall be slow to use strong powder loads (and a fast twist reduces bullet velocity!). Short barrels need a faster twist. Barrel length for the now usual double guns is 65 to 70 cm (26-28''). For these, he recommends one turn in 108 - 116 cm (42.5 - 46'') for elongated bullets, a bit faster twist for balls.

On powder loads:
for the above recommended bullet a powder charge between 3 g and 3.5 g (46 to 54 grains),
ratio powder to bullet between 1:6 and 1:7.
He gives no detail on bullet velocity except saying casually: "bullet travels about 1000 feet in a second", and obviously thinks this is plenty. I translate this into roughly 1300 fps muzzle velocity.

On sighting-in: in general, one does not shoot with the rifle on game at more than 50 to 70 meters!
So the rifle should be sighted in zero at 60 meters. Thus bullet elevation at smaller distances is never more than 2 - 3 cm, and you can hold zero out to 70 meters.
Sighting-in at 80 or 90 meters will give considerable elevation at 40 or 50 meters. Estimation of distances and calculation of corrections by aiming low during hunting is a vile thing and often quite impossible!

Very detailed description of different front and rear sights, aiming errors and corrections of sights.
Shooting for sighting-in to be done over a shooting table, with sandbags as rifle rest.
If one wants to sight in very exactly it is recommended to do 20 shots. Then select the 10 best shots - the larger deviation of the other 10 shots is assumed to come from errors by the shooter! Divide the best 10 shots vertically and horizontally to find the center of the group.
With a good rifle, such 10 shot groups shall not be larger than 4 - 5 cm at 60 meters (1.6 - 2'' at 65 yards).

I would certainly like to compare all this to the book you have - Lt. James Forsyth, "Sporting Rifles and Their Projectiles" 1861

Fuhrmann

Edited by fuhrmann (22/07/08 09:28 PM)

fuhrmann
.333 member

#110200 - 22/07/08 06:46 PM

The other thing I can talk about is my percussion rifle.
Here are some pictures first - I hope this will work:

Edited by fuhrmann (22/07/08 07:11 PM)

fuhrmann
.333 member

#110201 - 22/07/08 07:06 PM

Some details:
Liege proof marks on the barrel, signed and dated by a previous, probably German owner on the back side of the patchbox lid.
Barrel is damascus, blank and untreated.
French set trigger, high quality workmanship (e.g. mirror polish of all lock parts).
The high front sight is a replacement. The original sight is a low brass bead with which we could not work. Front sling swivel is removed here.
I bought the rifle at an auction in Zuerich some 25 years ago.

Bore diameter is 13.35 mm (.526'').
Groove diameter is ca. 14.75 mm (.581'').
Grooves are rounded and very deep, ca. 0.7 mm or .0276'' - I do not know what this should be good for.
I now use .520 bullets with rather thick patches.
Barrel is 71 cm (28") long.
Twist length is 107 cm (ca. 42'').
One peculiar thing: the powder chamber in the breech plug only has a diameter of ca. 10 mm, so there is a distinct "step" between breech plug and barrel. Volume in the breech plug is about 40 grains of powder.
I also do not know what this shall be good for. It might be useful for upsetting some expansion bullets, but does this go together with the deep rifling?
The ramrod is steel, with a flat tip.

I will tell about shooting the rifle later.

Fuhrmann

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #110208 - 22/07/08 11:47 PM

Daryl, That's a great looking Jaeger rifle, it makes me want to get back into making and using muzzleloaders again. I have found that for my purposes, a nice 54 caliber Hawken shoots as fast and as flat as needed to do anything I need to do, but I once built a 60 cal. Jaeger that was a real dandy killer. Unfortunately, I let someone talk me out of it. Bob H.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22065

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com