Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How Many Trips to Africa?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
How Many Trips to Africa?
      #1043 - 17/01/03 10:14 AM

I have not hunted Africa......Yet! I am hoping to hunt there this July for plains game. The wheels are in motion, my spot is on hold, and I have set the vacation time aside. Now it is just up to me to make enough money to pull the trip off. I will know by the end of February if I can go or not. I have a strong desire to hunt Africa. I really want to do a cape bufalo hunt some day. In short, I can foresee going to Africa several times over the next couple of years.

For you members who have hunted Africa already, how many trips have you made? How often do you go? What game do you hunt most often?

Edited by IronBuck (19/01/03 12:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Re: How Many Trips to Africa? [Re: IronBuck]
      #1046 - 17/01/03 08:05 PM

I have only been once, last August to Tanzania. I hunted Cape Buffalo and plains game. I took buffalo, impala, gazelle and a zebra. I ran out of time and was unable to hunt hartebeest and wildebeest and never saw a large warthog. All in all, it was a terrific hunt.

I tried to go back this year, but problems kept arising with the timing. I hope to go to Namibia next year for plains game. If I find a way to make more $, I'll go back for DG. It will definetly get in your blood.

Mpofu
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Re: How Many Trips to Africa? [Re: SBT]
      #1049 - 17/01/03 10:29 PM

I have hunted in Zimbabwe for the last four years, and interestingly, the prices have gone down pretty dramatically, as the political situation in the country worsens. Last year, I regretted going there, as I begrudged the fact that foreign currency, no matter how small, was being grabbed by Bob's mob.
Hunting the Zambezi valley is about as wild and 'African' as it gets. The Buffalo are mean, cagey and huge !
Next hunting trip.... the Northern Territories for water Buffalo.
M.

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
      #1050 - 18/01/03 01:57 AM

IronBuck

I have been there once (south Africa)and august next year I hope I can say four times. I defenetly have planned July both year but hope to get one more trip in. I hunted Impalax2, Warthog, Kudu and Oryx and everything was great. My comming hunts will be for plainsgame .

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Honey_badger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: UK
Re: How Many Trips to Africa? [Re: cchunter]
      #1063 - 18/01/03 05:52 AM

I've been to Africa twice, but didn't hunt. I had six weeks in Kenya in 2000 (working) and four weeks in South Africa this time last year, on a game ranger course. I hope to hunt for the first time this year, but it depends on finances and getting the time off. Fingers crossed!

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: How Many Trips to Africa? [Re: Honey_badger]
      #1119 - 20/01/03 06:55 PM

Honey Badger,

Hope for the best speak to me if you'd like to get a quick hunt done in RSA for experience or trophy !

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Mac
.224 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: USA
Re: How Many Trips to Africa? [Re: SafariHunt]
      #1137 - 21/01/03 12:15 PM

I've made 4 trips over there so far and always try to take some different animals on each trip. Last time I went I took waterbuck, blue widebeest, and eland. On the trip before that I took black wildebeest, red hartebeest, zebra, and vaal rhebok. The ones I seem to take on every trip are kudu, impala, and warthog (which is probably my favorite animal). In the course of other safaris I've taken cape springbok, blesbok, gemsbok, bushbuck, ostrich, jackals and black springbok.

For my next hunt I'm going to concentrate on dangerous game. Since I'm not wealthy, I'm going to do it on the cheap. That means lioness, tuskless cow elephant and cow cape buffalo. Going after the females means I can go after 3 of the big five for around $15K. This will save a lot of money yet give me the experience and also allow me to use my William Evans 450/400 3 1/4 double rifle.

Mac

--------------------
A double rifle without hammers is like a hound dog without ears.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #1160 - 22/01/03 04:15 PM

Iron Buck

I have been lucky enough to get there three times and two of those hunting.

The first trip I travelled overland from Kenya, through Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana and finally Zimbabwe. Ran out of money in Zim and had to fly back to Europe where I was then working. That was in 1988.

Set myself a five year target to get back there and this time hunt.

1994, went to Zimbabwe with my wife on our honeymoon. Wanted to hunt buffalo on a short safari but left it too late and they were booked out with the outfitter (too late, as we needed to set the dates for the wedding etc first ). Hunted in the low veld and took kudu, eland, blue wildebeest, zebra, warthog, impala and a duiker.

Set myself another five year target but this time it took to 2002. Main target was definitely buffalo. But first hunted with BigFive (of this board) of African Bush Safaris in South Africa and aimed for Limpopo Bushbuck as a priority, hartebeest (or Hell Beast as I call them), plus anything else better than I already had. Took a very nice Limpopo Bushbuck on a great property, and a good impala. Missed a kudu and hunted very hard for many days and many miles for the hartebeest whom in the end beat us.

Then again to Zimbabwe to hunt with Pierre van Wyk of Nemba Safaris in the Gwayi Conservancy. Took a nice Waterbuck on the banks of the Shangaani, a record class Chobe Bushbuck, a zebra, and another impala (love impala). Stalked good buffalo and then after a change in scene hunted the Matetsi Safari area and took a old Duggaboy buffalo, and a second zebra (a rug plus a shoulder mount now possible). Hunted for a Sable but no luck this time.

When again? Hoping for next year. What? Hoping for a cow elephant hunt and another buffalo. Don't know how yet, but will try hard. Perhaps an end of season special in 2004 if any come up.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #1176 - 23/01/03 12:12 AM

I've been to Namibia once and South Africa twice.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: How Many Trips to Africa? [Re: AspenHill]
      #1210 - 23/01/03 05:01 PM

Hi there guys and lady.
In the same way you dream of hunting Africa we who live in Africa also sometimes dream of hunting on other continents.
I want to hunt Grizzly in the US and water buffs in Australia and maybe something funny on the South-American continent.But it is good good to hear our continent is so sought after.You are always welcome.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

BOWHUNR
.224 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: Omaha, NE USA
Re: How Many Trips to Africa? [Re: Bigfive]
      #1283 - 26/01/03 11:59 AM

Iron Buck,

I've hunted in Africa only one time, Zimbabwe in July 2001. I was lucky enough to take: Kudu, Eland, Impala x 2, Zebra x 2, Bushbuck, Warthog, Wildebeest, Giraffe, Baboon, Genet cat, Jackal and Honey Badger. Africa is an amazing place and I will be returning in May of 2004 to S.A.

BOWHUNR

--------------------
Kudu, it's not just for breakfast anymore!

biggametv
.224 member

Reged: 27/01/03
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #1307 - 27/01/03 02:42 PM

I am fortunate. I have incorporated hunting into my work as a television producer and have been over eight times. Our crew makes two trips per season, and have hunted Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and RSA, and this year we are scheduled for RSA, Tanzania, and possibly Zambia.

We have harvested all of the "basic" plains game species and several of the less common, as well as a few buffalo, and rhino and elephant darting.

And yes, I know...I'm lucky.

KingBaboon
.224 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: France
Re: How Many Trips to Africa? [Re: biggametv]
      #1321 - 28/01/03 02:41 AM

Been twice to Senegal (2000 and 2001) for francolin/dove/warthog, and once to RSA for plainsgame (2002). Will be back there in 2004 with my father and two brothers. It will be their first time in Africa although they all are serious european hunters, and we will celebrate our father's 70th birthday in the bush! As far as species go, for me a safari is not complete without both kudu and warthog!

--------------------

KBab

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2706

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com