Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on
      #103966 - 01/05/08 10:14 AM

Picked this one up today-NEF Handi-Rifle in .45/70. With ammo prices the way they are I don't know how much I'll be shooting it, but then again I can get cast bullets for $3.50/100. Hope to try it out this weekend.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on [Re: Shackleton]
      #103973 - 01/05/08 12:05 PM

45/70 will boot in that little outfit mate, you will have fun with it though

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Shackleton
.300 member

Re: Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on [Re: gwh]
      #103975 - 01/05/08 12:13 PM

I'm expecting a good bit of kick-hopefully not much more than a 10 gauge shotgun though. Biggest problem is finding ammo locally-only one gun shop carries it, and he's one of those who opens when he feels like it(his FFL seems to me more like a way to build his own collection than to keep a business).

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #103985 - 01/05/08 01:23 PM

Handload for that rifle!

Components are plentiful and cheap.
Call Huntingtons, they'll have dies and brass for you.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on [Re: tinker]
      #103995 - 01/05/08 01:40 PM

i have a siamese mauser in .45-70. i dont think you will find recoil real unpleasant. i dont think it will be as bad as a 10 gauge, probably not as bad as a 12 gauge 3" load. a good hunting factory load is the PMC +P 350 grain. its advertised at 2025 fps muzzle velocity and 3167 foot pounds of energy. i started using them in a marlin guide gun and they work very well in my mauser. i like your rifle. i have a buddy in indiana that hunts with one in 500 smith and wesson. they can only use rifles chambered in pistol calibers there, or shotguns. if recoil is a ploblem try a slip on pad or fit a good pad to it. good hunting!

--------------------
One day at a time...

Shackleton
.300 member

Re: Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on [Re: bigmaxx]
      #104097 - 02/05/08 02:38 PM

Already planning on handloading for this one(as well as my other centerfires)-dies are on order, as far as bullets I can still get cast for $35/1000-almost gets it to the price of a 9MM to shoot. A LOT better than the $42.95/20 round box the local gunshop asks. I like Huntingtons prices though. Paid $35 for a .700 NE case and bullet for my dummy collection-need to order a .600 from them now.
I did pick up one box of the local overpriced stuff--only way to get ammo by this weekend to try the rifle.

--------------------

Shackleton
.300 member

#104234 - 04/05/08 04:14 PM

Ok, tried the handi rifle today-not bad at all for recoil with the Ultramax 405 grain loads(light cowboy action loads). Makes me wonder-anyone here shot .45/70 in a 14 inch Contender/Encore? I was going to get one a couple years ago but after a couple horror stories by some local shooters I decided not to. I've heard stories about the round in a light rifle too, but these loads seem about equal to a 2 3/4" 20 gauge. If "typical" loads aren't "too bad" in the Contender(one person said he shot one wearing a motorcycle helmet and was still scared) I'd almost be tempted to part with my AR15 to get one. Might get one anyway, but want to know what to expect with a round like this in a handgun-I've fired up to a hot .44 magnum but never more than that in a handgun.

--------------------

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #104255 - 04/05/08 10:53 PM

I had (sold to a friend) an Encore bbl in a 45/70. Now it had a muzzle brake, so perhaps that's cheating, but I had no recoil issues. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on [Re: dnovo]
      #104274 - 05/05/08 03:42 AM

Cast bullets are free after you've cast 100 or so. The mould costs $15.00US and wheel weights in .457/8 calibre can be driven to 2,000fps, more than that little rifle will feel good at. Powder and primers are cheap compared to buying ammo.
: I shoot factory loads in rimfires only. Even all my shotshells are handloaded.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Shackleton
.300 member

Re: Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on [Re: DarylS]
      #104280 - 05/05/08 05:53 AM

I haven't moved into shotshell loading yet, but at the moment I load for .223/5.56MM(AR15), .30-06(M1), .35/.357, .303 British and .45 auto. Dies for .45/70 should be here tomorrow so that's next.

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #104720 - 11/05/08 10:01 AM

Shackleton,

You're a wise man. You're going to shoot that rifle a lot more than something that would hurt a lot more.

This, of course, comes from someone who hates recoil and admries though who shoot the really big stuff.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #104724 - 11/05/08 10:34 AM

Shackleton
I have a New England (HR),that I have fitted a 500Ne 3-1/4 barrel on ! With full nitro loads & 570gr it,s a little silly in the recoil department and not needed to play with so I now use Nitro for Black loads ,recoil seems light now !
A while back I had T/C Contender 12in 45/70 , with hot hand loads this has savage recoil also ,even factory loads are stiff ! a LOT more than a 44 Mag !

Shackleton
.300 member

Re: Biggest rifle I'm likely to get my hands on [Re: Sarg]
      #104936 - 13/05/08 09:40 AM

I like the laminate stock on that one-haven't seen those around. Is that a custom piece or available from factory? Sounds like an "interesting" rifle to shoot with that round and the light weight though. As far as the reloading goes, I did the math on what is saved when I got my .357. The rounds I have loaded for that gun alone have paid for all the reloading equipment I currently have, including the .45-70 dies. That, and the fact that I did 500 rounds of .223 for about $75-can't even get steel cased Wolf for that anymore.

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #105007 - 14/05/08 07:34 AM

The laminate stocks were factory on Ultras , I think you can or could get a stock set from the factory !
I wanted a large powerful cartridge after being tossed by a Banteng Bull , never got around to useing it on one again , I use a 458 Win now !
And your reloads should be more accurate than Wolf ammo !

LukeinNZ
.224 member

Reged: 07/10/04
      #105155 - 15/05/08 02:38 PM

Hi Sarg,
Really like the Nitro HR conversion. Who did the gunsmithing work? Now that really is bang for your buck! It's not for sale by chance?

Shackleton
.300 member

#105266 - 16/05/08 10:56 AM

Quote:

I wanted a large powerful cartridge after being tossed by a Banteng Bull

After an incident like that I'd want more power too! In the process of loading some cast rounds right now(break time though). 405 grain cast, over 4895. Listed on Hodgdon's website under pistol loads, and I'm loading below maximum. Should give me what I want, a nice hot load right in the middle.Not that I'll use it for much more than the occasional rabid watermelon(always wanted to see a 25 pound melon cover a 10-12 foot circle).
If I decide to get a Contender, it will hopefully become a decent deer load too(if no Contender there's always the .357)

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4354

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com