Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Venison Goulasch

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Venison Goulasch
      #103327 - 24/04/08 01:06 AM

Looking for some traditional goulasch recipes for venison (or other meat as well).

Not necessary just "Hungarian" goulasch, ie with paprika, but any recipes from Germany, Czech, Slovakia, Austra, Slovenia etc

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (30/06/12 10:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Venison Goulasch recipes WANTED [Re: NitroX]
      #103808 - 29/04/08 03:28 AM

I have never made goulash, guess I never looked at any recipes. It seems to me the stuff served here is similar to spaghetti: elbow pasta, tomatoes, ground meat, garlic, onions all baked together. I did find this website that has many variations: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/877/0.shtml

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Venison Goulasch recipes WANTED [Re: AspenHill]
      #103828 - 29/04/08 01:44 PM

I grind my own deer meat because i like a coarse grind. I brown it in vegetable oil with chopped onions, a few cloves of fresh garlic (crushed with the flat side of a heavy blade) and green belle peppers. When its browned and the onions are tranlucent i transfer it to a big stainless steel pot. Cast iron doesnt work too well with acidic foods with lots of tomatoe. i add diced tomatoes and some tomatoe sauce. i season to taste with salt,fresh ground black pepper, oregano, basil, paprika, and cayenne pepper. i let that simmer real slow for an hour or so at very low heat. in a stock pot i cook some elbow macaroni with salt and a little olive oil. sometimes i add a little garlic powder to the water. cook till its el dente or so. add to the meat and sauce. then chow down! thats the kentucky version of goooolosh. i have never baked it before. i might try it though.

--------------------
One day at a time...

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #103835 - 29/04/08 05:42 PM

Venison is very fatless meat so be sure to mix it with beef or pork or even better add some bacon. You can mix venison like bear, red deer, roe deer, boar - just make sure you add the meat according to its softness i.e. bear and beef goes in first - 1 hour prior boar or red deer - roe deer is softest so it goes in as last...
Following some major rules when making goulash: goulash is a soup at the end - creamy form is made by onion preparation (fried and sqeezed) - use at least the same quantity of onion as meat - chopped onion must be fried - carefully - if onion is fried perfectly goulash is 95% done, you don't have to add much ingredients. If onion is over fried goulash will have bitter taste, if onion is underfried goulash will taste too sweet. However some essential ingredients with venison goulash here are cumin, juniper berries!!! and red wine (Merlot, Barbera, Cabernet...dry). Wine is added near the completion.

Gosh - makes me wanna eat one right now

Edited by 93mouse (29/04/08 05:54 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#103878 - 30/04/08 03:49 AM

Quote:

I have never made goulash, guess I never looked at any recipes. It seems to me the stuff served here is similar to spaghetti: elbow pasta, tomatoes, ground meat, garlic, onions all baked together.

Ann

That is "American Goulash"!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Venison Goulasch recipes WANTED [Re: 93mouse]
      #103880 - 30/04/08 04:03 AM

Ann, BibMaxx and 93mouse,

Thanks for the comments.

I have found a recipe which I used to make a large pot as first try. It worked quite well. I will post the recipe soom plus maybe a photo.

The recipe used as a base was a Hungarian one with some modifications.

Mouse, yes I did add about 500 gms of bratwurst sausage chopped to about 1.25 kgs of venison. I had some older bits of pieces in the freezer and boned them out and used all of it up.

Good idea to add some wine. I will do this on the second one.

I noted the requirement to have an equal quantity of onions to meat. Did not quite do this, but the amount of onions still worked well. Also noted many recipes advised to fry the onions then add the paprika only after taking off the heat, as supposedly frying the onions with the paprika on the heat creates bitterness. I used 20 gms of hot paprika and 20 gms of sweet paprika and the heat of the goulash at the end was hot but not excessive. Some might like it a bit cooler. Luckily I did not follow one Austrian recipe which advised about 125 gms of hot paprika!

The main ingredients included: venison; bratwurst; onion; potatoes; paprika; celery; capsicum (I used green plus red); tomatoes; parsnip; mushrooms; carrots; garlic; caraway seeds; bayleaf. I also used beef stock instead of water at the beginning.

While a true goulash is a soup I tried to thicken it a bit with some cornflour. Still a soup. I believe a thicker form is called a porkolt.

We are having a rainy week - at last! - with cold nights and it a good food for this weather.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AspenHill
Sponsor

#103915 - 30/04/08 08:41 PM

Wow, I did not know goulash was really a soup! Interesting!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#103924 - 30/04/08 09:53 PM

The Nitro Express Venison Goulash Recipe Mark I

Ingredients:
Feeds: lots of persons! - will still have to estimate

• Olive oil
  • approx 1.2 kg of venison cut into cubes
  • 500 gms of Bratwurst sausages cut into chunks
  • 6 - 7 onions, chopped
  • 6 cloves of garlic, grated
  • 4 carrots, diced
  • 3 parsnip, diced
  • 6 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 5 capsicum, in this case 3 green, 2 red
  • 6 - 7 potatoes, sliced into chunks
  • 15 - 20 field or button mushrooms, sliced
  • 20 gms Hot paprika
  • 20 gms sweet paprika
  • 4 teaspoons of caraway seeds, I ground these partially
  • 4 bayleaf
  • 1 litre beef stock
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • water
  • 3 desert spoons of cornflour

This recipe has some of my own modifications.

Instructions:

1. Heat up oil in a pot and braise chopped onions until they brown.

2. Remove from heat and sprinkle with the paprika powder while stirring them. Leaving the onions on the heat while adding the paprika may result in bitterness.

3. In a separate fry pan or pot, add more oil and slightly brown the venison cubes, and also the sausage chunks. Many goulash recipes do not brown the meat but add it with the stock direct to the pot at this point. This allows the dish to be cooked in a single pot eg on a fire, but browning will improve the flavour and retain more juices.

You may have to brown them in lots, just add the browned meat to the onions and do another lot.

4. The meat and residual heat in the pot (if browning the meat and onions at the same time) will keep it hot and the meat will give off its juices. Add the grated or sliced garlic, the caraway seed, the bayleaves, some salt and black pepper, and pour the litre of beef stock in. Some extra water or stock may be needed to cover the contents in the pot and then let it simmer. I left it simmer for 50 minutes when I tested the venison and sausages and they were already cooked. A lesser period may be OK. The meat should be about 50% cooked.

5. Add the diced carrots, parsnip, celery stalks, and potatoes. Add more water if needed, I added another 3 cups.

6. After aboout 30 minutes, add the tomatoes and capsicum for another 15 to 20 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are well cooked.

7. I added 3x desert spoons of cornflour, pre mixed with water to thicken the goulash a bit. This dish was still very soup like.

Like many spicy dishes goulash can be prepared and re-heated the following day and the flavour may be stronger and improved as well.

I'm eating this goulash in soup bowls with a spoon, and with fresh crusty bread and some cheese.

Perfect for a re-heated hunters lunch around a campfire to warm the belly and fire the soul.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #103942 - 01/05/08 12:54 AM

i am going to try that! i bet the brats really give it some gusto!

--------------------
One day at a time...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#104159 - 03/05/08 04:18 PM

The Nitro Express Venison Goulash Mark I

The finished product ...

With bread and cheese, a lovely Winter's lunch.

Luckily I managed to get some photos as both batteries turned out to be flat on the camera.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AspenHill
Sponsor

#104328 - 05/05/08 09:42 PM

Now that looks good!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#186922 - 30/07/11 11:45 PM

Thought I'd lost this recipe but then thought, maybe I put it on the website!!! Yes I did.

Time to make a big pot of "Mark II" for winter lunches and dinners in 2011.

PS I've got a freezer of meat needing to be used up. Between Goulasch, the hungry dog, and other dishes it needs to be emptied for some space for "new venison".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Venison Goulash [Re: NitroX]
      #211798 - 01/07/12 02:18 AM

Hungarian Venison Goulash or this case a Venison Porkolt, a thicker version of a goulash.

A Mark II recipe. Red wine, beef stock, mushrooms, onions, celery, carrots, tomatoes, parsnips, potatoes, red, yellow and green capsicum, garlic, black pepper, salt, hot paprika, sweet paprika, bay leaf, caraway seeds, and cornflour.

Cooked in a couple of large South African cast iron potjes, "Best Duty" no.s 3 and 4.

Fallow venison cuts being browned.

The onion and venison browned, all the ingredients are in and cooked over a number of hours.

Cooked over the coals.

The finished product.

The Nitro Express Venison Goulash Recipe Mark I

Ingredients:
Feeds: lots of persons!

Olive oil for browning the venison and onions
approx 3 kg of venison cut into cubes - this meat was cut off various pieces of venison, some already off the bone, some off the bone, shanks etc.
6 - 7 onions, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, grated
4 carrots, diced
3 parsnip, diced
6 stalks of celery, sliced
4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
6 capsicum, in this case 2 green, 2 red & 2 yellow
6 - 7 potatoes, sliced into chunks
15 - 20 field or button mushrooms, sliced
50 gms Hot paprika
50 gms sweet paprika
8 teaspoons of caraway seeds, I ground these partially
4 bayleaf
1 litre beef stock
salt
black pepper
Red wine was substituted for water this time
6 or more desert spoons of cornflour - I wanted this goulash to be a thicker porkolt.

This is a much hotter mixture than Mark I and Mark III will back off the hot paprika a little.

This recipe has some of my own modifications.

Instructions:

1. Heat up oil in a pot and braise chopped onions until they brown.

2. Remove from heat and sprinkle with the paprika powder while stirring them. Leaving the onions on the heat while adding the paprika may result in bitterness.

3. In a separate fry pan or pot, add more oil and slightly brown the venison cubes. Many goulash recipes do not brown the meat but add it with the stock direct to the pot at this point. This allows the dish to be cooked in a single pot eg on a fire, but browning will improve the flavour and retain more juices.

You may have to brown them in lots, just add the browned meat to the onions and do another lot.

4. The meat and residual heat in the pot (if browning the meat and onions at the same time) will keep it hot and the meat will give off its juices. Add the grated or sliced garlic, the caraway seed, the bayleaves, some salt and black pepper, and pour the litre of beef stock in. I added red wine instead of water in Mark II. Extra stock may be needed to cover the contents in the pot and then let it simmer. I left it simmer for 50 minutes when I tested the venison and they were already cooked. A lesser period may be OK. The meat should be about 50% cooked.

5. Add the diced carrots, parsnip, celery stalks, and potatoes. Add more stock or wine if needed.

6. After aboout 30 minutes, add the tomatoes and capsicum for another 15 to 20 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are well cooked.

7. I added 6x desert spoons of cornflour, or more as it thickened to what I was looked for, pre mixed with water to thicken the goulash into a porkolt.

Like many spicy dishes goulash can be prepared and re-heated the following day and the flavour may be stronger and improved as well.

Perfect for a cold winter's day.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #211874 - 02/07/12 07:32 AM

John:
Your Goulash recipe looks delicous, what you call "Capsium" is aparently what we call Bell peppers, thanks for the photo's or I wouldn't have known what that was.
Bob

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Venison Goulash [Re: aromakr]
      #211910 - 03/07/12 01:05 AM

Yes capsicum are what American's call "bell peppers" or "sweet peppers".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #212146 - 06/07/12 01:05 AM

Perfect timing. A lot of Venison and Beef needs to be moved shortly and that looks like a great way to do it.

My German (from Russia) Grandmother used to make Goulash with noodles also. Is that in your dinner?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Venison Goulash [Re: mickey]
      #216829 - 16/09/12 09:42 PM

Hi Mickey

I think noodles isn't traditional but if it works for you why not?

We know goulash is known traditionally as the Hungarian recipe, but also in Eastern and Central Europe it is often known as the hunters stew and probably has all sorts of regional and sub-regional variations.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #216864 - 17/09/12 04:21 PM

I like the recipe Sir, I also love those pots but I canīt buy them here and I reckon shipping might be a bit costly ! best

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Venison Goulash [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #216879 - 18/09/12 12:02 AM

The Hungarian Goulash from a local restaurant, wonderful stuff - chunks of beef, potato, carrots, onions - lovely, quite thick - lots of paprika (which should be lightly pan fried/cooked with just a touch of oil, before adding to the mix), oh man, my mouth is watering now - looking good John, looking VERY good. Home made bread broken apart, not cut - yes - lovely.

Interesting use of the word capsicum - here, that's the ingredient in pepper spray for bears, dogs and what the police use on criminals & crowd dispersal.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

GroovyMike
.300 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: NY
Re: Venison Goulash [Re: DarylS]
      #216894 - 18/09/12 04:38 AM

making me hungry looking at those photos!

--------------------
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Venison Goulash [Re: GroovyMike]
      #231107 - 12/06/13 03:18 PM

FYI:

Gulasch is a German word, (pronounced "goo-lash"), and it is a standard meal in that country and much of Central Europe. But the original recipe is Hungarian, dating from the 9th century, and is often associated with a place called Szeged, which is famous for growing and drying peppers / paprika. The Hungarian word is Gulyas. It's pronounced something like "goo-ill-ya-shh", (said as one flowing word). It was originally a folk's dish, a shepherd's meal, cooked on a heavy iron kettle over an open fire.

You'll need a good quality sweet paprika for this meal. The recipe I have is from 1958, from my Hungarian mother-in-law's recipe book.

Transylvanian Gulyas:

2 lb sauerkraut
2 lb pork
2 onions
Red paprika pepper (1 heaped teaspoon)
2 fresh tomatoes or tomato paste
Salt
Sour cream
2 tablespoons lard, (or vegetable oil)
2 tablespoons chopped bacon.
flour.

Chop onions, put the 2 tablespoons of lard into a pan and when hot, add the onions. Stir until golden brown. Put in a good teaspoon of paprika pepper; stir. Now add the washed and cut up meat, the chopped bacon, the tomatoes or tomato paste, and a cupful of water. Stir, cover and cook for one hour, stirring from time to time. In the meantime cook the sauerkraut in a large pan, with enough water to cover. (note, for those that don't use sauerkraut much, it's normal to rinse sauerkraut first through a sieve, keeping the juices. Just use enough of these blended back to your taste or it will likely be too strong).

When the meat has been cooking for one hour, put the lard into a frying pan and make a roux with the flour, adding to it some liquid from the sauerkraut. Stir once, then mix the roux with the sauerkraut and add the meat too. Cook until the meat is thoroughly soft. Before serving, add sour cream or yoghurt on top.

The same meal can be made with beef and is much the same but with red wine, carrots, a bay leaf, a generous pinch of caraways, garlic clove, (crushed), and some beef stock as well as paprika.

This dish can have potatoes added, but they should be boiled separately. If re-heating leftovers, the potatoes tend to make the sauerkraut pasty. A peeled and sliced apple can (and should!), also be added to the sauerkraut, just as the onions start to colour.

I might have a German venison recipe variant for this dish, but my German hunting friend has my recipe book which he's probably forgotten about! It seems to me that, if you want to cook venison and sauerkraut, you might want to also consider Polish Bigos recipes which is another meal that is often served at communal hunts. It's equally delicious.

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Venison Goulash [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #231109 - 12/06/13 04:07 PM

Chefkoch.de (means head-chef), has 109 recipes submitted by German speaking members that are about goulash with game. Not one of those I opened could be called traditional or even close. Most of them didn't even have paprika!

I'm looking at a Bigos recipe in a book, which says it's Poland's national dish, made from venison, chuck steak and pork, with (garlic flavoured pork and beef) kielbasa sausages, madeira, sauerkraut, tomatoes, dill seeds, dried mushrooms, (porcini mushrooms transform this dish into something that smells and tastes heavenly, if you can get them) and quite a few other ingredients.

What I suggest is, have a look at some of the US online recipe sites were Grandma from Poland explained to her new generation how to cook it. Then you'll get the recipe in English and it'll be traditional and authentic. The recipe I have here is true to type. It tastes best if made the day before.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Venison Goulash [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #231125 - 13/06/13 12:15 AM

KiwiBloke

Thanks for the two posts and yes please add the variations to the recipes when you get hold of the recipe book you mention.

When looking for a good recipe, I visited one Austrian website and one definitely does not want to use the amount of hot paprika in a recipe listed. The rest was fine, but the amount of paprika really was ridiculous. So people beware!

A problem with many American website recipes for Goulash is often they resemble European Goulash only in using the same name for the dish. Often using mincemeat, and more Mexican in style than anything Hungarian.

I may have mentioned this above but I remember attending a hunting festival in the Czech Republic at Hulaboka (I think?) and one of the events between the eleven countries represented in competitions, was a goulash cooking and judging competition. Did not get to try any of them unfortunately.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #232538 - 15/07/13 07:52 PM

Man that sounds good!
My mother cooks Goulash and Stroganoff which was quite nice (her mother use to cook for some German Count back in the fatherland).

I will pull out some Venison tonight and repair its marinade for tomorrow's Goulash or Stroganoff. I've been keen to give it a try.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Venison Goulash [Re: ozhunter]
      #232588 - 16/07/13 04:29 PM

It all sounds mouth watering

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22277

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com