Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
M 98 bases rings wanted tto source
      #101944 - 08/04/08 06:42 AM

I am readily open to suggestions re a set of rings/bases for a Parker Hale safari 98.

The rifle is already fitted with Buehler mounts but i believe they are too tight for the series 11 L 2 x 7 x33 scope as evidenced by the power ring almost seizing,once taken from the rings the tightness is not evident so i`m assuming that the Buehler rings are too tight. Another small matter is that the rings are shimmed on top and for the love of me i cant close the gap,hence the "over tight" that was achieved by Jack Miller when he fitted them years ago.It has me stumped as to what bloody sort of screwdriver he used!

Any ideas on this would be very welcome also.

Quality without going over the top is what i am after as they will be for .358 Norma Mag duty.

QD`s are no use to me as i have no open sights,i`m a scope man anyway.

Brand/brands?

Price?

Where to purchase?

Pref in Australia but will buy offshore,thanks in advance.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Edited by gryphon (08/04/08 06:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source [Re: gryphon]
      #101948 - 08/04/08 07:52 AM

Hi Gryphon,

May I make a suggestion... I would contact Rolf Bachnick in Melbourne 03 9739 5744 and he will have the answers. If you like / want Open sights, he can fit them to. As to scope mounts etc, he can get almost every thing you could ask for and is a nice guy to speak to and affordable. He has my DR at the moment for some tuning and will be getting my new Sako Hunter to have sights fited in the next couple of months.

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #101949 - 08/04/08 08:21 AM

Gryphon

In my limited experience, I do not worry about closing the gap between the rings. The most important issue is that the scope does not move in the ring even if you are using a big caliber with heavy recoil. Tightening the rings too much & seizing the power ring is obviously not desirable.

I have used shims in the bottom to clear a low ring set on a BLR 358 Win (good recoil). I just cut out an old credit card & sanded the surfaces to make it rough. You can actually buy shim paper that is designed for scope shims (I do not know where you get them.)

I would also change the screws to Allen key type or the Leupold star key type & make sure that I do not over tighten the rings. That might just solve your problem without having to change your bases & rings.

I have the Australian Hilver bases & rings on my Simson 9.3X62 & they work fine. I understand that Lynx & Tasco are the same as the Hilver.

Good luck & good hunting.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source [Re: Nakihunter]
      #101970 - 08/04/08 04:57 PM

Thanks to both of you blokes with those answers, espec a contact number too.

--------------------

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #101996 - 09/04/08 12:35 AM

If my memory serves (and it often doesn't) Buehler rings once came with spacers that went in the top. I'm talking way back in the 50's. It was my favorite mount at that time as I liked the rounded top of the ring where the screw went. I thought it looked smoother. I remember the shims as being cut to match the shape of the ring at the top with a hole thru them but don't remember whether you could peel them to different thicknesses. Something in my memory says you could. I also used the Buehler safety on all my Mausers at that time. They made good products.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source [Re: zimhunter]
      #102010 - 09/04/08 06:21 AM

yes mine have the spacers and i cant/havent tried too hard to close the gap as i am worried that i will have the "over tight" problems again.No doubt that they are great mounts either.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#102027 - 09/04/08 10:37 AM

I have rung and left a voice message as he is not much more than an hour away.

--------------------

bpesteve
.300 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Sunset side up
      #102029 - 09/04/08 11:06 AM

Ah, Buehler rings, how I miss 'em. At one point in the '70s I lived only a few miles from their operation in Orinda California and I was astonished to find it not much larger than a garage. Good times, that.

Anyway, fitting Buehler vertically split rings is not at all like fitting the Redfield/Leupold & other current horizontally split jobs. They can be a pain, but when set up right they're a peach.

What is supposed to happen is you fit the rings to the individual scope by playing with the shim thickness at the top of the front ring until, with the ring on the scope and both top and bottom ring screw tight, the projecting spud is a nice snug fit into the round hole in the front base. The directions supplied with the rings gave a measurement for the spud diameter that you were supposed to achieve.

Then, knowing what shim thickness you arrived at to make the front ring fit well in its hole, you peel laminations off the shim in the rear ring to the same thickness. This is supposed to result in the bottom surface of the rear ring being a perfectly flat fit onto the rear base when the rear base screws are tightened.

Next, with the lateral screw in the front base loose, you insert the front ring spud into the hole with the scope at a right angle to the mount (the rear of the scope to the right of the rifle), seat it to the bottom of the hole and swing the scope clockwise until the rear base lines up, pretty much like the Redfield/Leopold system. Tighten up the rear base screws to a happy point of windage, then finally tighten that front lateral screw. There's an interference fit between the spud and lateral screw that holds the front ring down, much like the rotary dovetail in the R/L system.

If the shims are set up correctly everything tightens up square and secure, and there's _no_ gap at the top of the rings. In fact, the shims supplied with each set of rings were actually machined along with the top of those rings and had exactly the same contour (as long as you remembered their orientation) and a correctly set up ring looked like it was one piece - you could hardly see a seam at the top at all.

Elegant, but finicky. The shims get lost easily, bend easily and there's no way to make the originals thicker once their laminations are peeled apart. It's easy enough to make replacements out of solid shim stock, but guessing what thickness they need to be is a problem and it's difficult to achieve the seamless fit the originals had.

Edited by bpesteve (10/04/08 11:10 PM)

weedypigeon
.275 member

Reged: 26/03/08
Loc: australia
      #102035 - 09/04/08 12:41 PM

Boy am I glad there's somebody else out there with a Parker Hale 98. I've got one and have been trying to find out model etc. Mine has been rebarrelled to .270w and have been unable to find out how to work out what it was originally. This rifle shoots extremely well and the stock is well made but needs to be refinished. Would appreciate any input on stock refurbishment, particularly on stripping timber that has a lot of checkering and scrolling.Are Parker Hales a common rifle in Australia? If so where do I look for info.? Mine came with a Pecar 4-10 Variable all steel scope so I am unable to help with any info on your scope mounts.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Re: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source [Re: weedypigeon]
      #102041 - 09/04/08 01:35 PM

Weedypigeon
Parker Hale rifles were common in Australia & New Zealand in the 1970s & 80s . Some of them had deluxe stocks that had a Monte Carlo comb & skip checkering with white spacer in the but & pistol grip.

The simple method of refinishing the stock is to (after removing all the metal parts & recoil pad) use some paint stripper & remove the varnish. Use a toothbrush on the checkering & very fine steel wool or 120 grit sandpaper on the stock. I have even wet the stock & used a clothes iron with steamer to lift up the wood fibre from the small dings. The big gouges cannot be raised & could be filled. I am careful with the edges of the barrel channel & other inletted parts which I prefer to leave as sharp as possible.

Sealing & finishing with Tru-oil is quite simple. There is another post on this site where DarylS has give some good advise on stock finishing.

--------------------

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #102045 - 09/04/08 05:00 PM

the old hilver, tasco , lynx fixed mounts are a good option.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source [Re: ozhunter]
      #102093 - 10/04/08 07:12 AM

bpesteve

very informative reply mate,thank you. Oh what a pain,all part of the replacement whatevers idea!

--------------------

dirtyjim
.224 member

Reged: 23/02/08
Loc: texas
      #102744 - 18/04/08 08:03 AM

i have a few a copy of the original instructions for setting the thickness on buehler rings rings i can scan them for you if you want to try & set them up right

gryphon
.450 member

Re: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source [Re: dirtyjim]
      #102753 - 18/04/08 12:00 PM

dirtyjim,i will be dirty on you if you dont haha...

yes please and thank you ..they are well worth fitting absolutely correctly and in order.

--------------------

bpesteve
.300 member

#102800 - 19/04/08 01:53 AM

dirtyjim, what was the diameter spec on that front ring spud? My utterly unreliable memory is telling me .498", but if you could reply with that one measurement ol' Maynard will rest easy...

Nakihunter
.375 member

Re: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source [Re: bpesteve]
      #102893 - 19/04/08 12:47 PM

Could you guys please put together a summary of the finished solution! I once got Buehler mounts & rings installed on a Voere rifle & it was a very fiddly experience. In the end I did not buy the rifle! But I was very impressed with the aesthetics of the rings as they did not have any visible joints & seemed to work well. I now use mostly Leupold or Sako rings with very rare exceptions.

--------------------

dirtyjim
.224 member

Reged: 23/02/08
Loc: texas
      #103022 - 21/04/08 05:31 AM

the measurement on the front ring spud is .494-.499
bueler split rings page 1
buehler split rings page 2
buehler solid rings
i also have instructions for echo side mounts, mykrom side mounts, stith dovetail mounts & rings,
montana q/d mounts & king pike q/d mounts if anyone needs those

bpesteve
.300 member

Re: M 98 bases rings wanted tto source [Re: dirtyjim]
      #103090 - 22/04/08 12:05 AM

Thanks dirtyjim!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13652

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com