Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Savage 99 with History..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
A Savage 99 with History..
      #52680 - 17/03/06 11:39 PM

A LEVER-GUN WITH A HISTORY
Savage Model 99 .22 Hi-power Take-down Carbine #203802

THE SAVAGE MODEL 99 REPEATER
Arthur W. Savage was born in Kingston, Jamaica, on May 13, 1857, and was formally educated in England and the United States. After returning to the US from cattle ranching and raising a family in Australia, he designed a military musket, based on a rotary magazine, hammerless rifle in 1892, chambered for the 30-40 Krag. Following rejection by the military, Savage redesigned the rifle, the result being the Model 1895 chambered for .303 Savage. The initial rifles were produced by Marlin until the Savage Arms Company built its own production facilities. In 1899 a refined version of the 1895 went into production and the 1899 Model was born. It was initially chambered for the .22 High-Power, .250-3000, .300 and .303 Savage. With minor variations, such as the takedown versions produced from 1919 - 1941 and the clip magazine variety produced from 1965, it remained in production until 1998.

THE CARTRIDGE
The .22 Savage High-Power, designed by Charles Newton, was based on the 25 - 35 Winchester necked down to accept a .228” projectile. The cartridge was chambered by Savage in the Model 99 in 1912 but by the 1930's was considered obsolete. Europeans chambered it as the 5.6 x 52 R cartridge in various single-shots, drillings, and double rifles, and Norma and RWS still load this ammunition today. The cartridge is unusual in that the bullet diameter is .228" as opposed to the normal .224" for most high-velocity twenty-twos, however the bullet weight is greater at 70 or 71 grains. At the time of its inception, it claimed “greater velocity, accuracy, penetration and actual killing power than any other rifle made in the United States”, and achieved instant fame when photos of a man-eating tiger killed by H.R.Caldwell with the diminutive cartridge were widely published. Bullet Weight 70 gr, Muzzle Velocity 2800 fps, Muzzle Energy 1220 ftlb.

THE RIFLE
This particular Savage 99 take-down carbine was manufactured in late 1918 or 1919, and bears British proof marks for the period. It was purchased new for the armoury of the arctic exploration and supply ship “City of Westminster”, for the purpose of collecting seal meat to feed the sled-dogs. It bears the ship’s name branded into the left-hand side of the butt-stock. That particular vessel was originally launched in 1916 as the 6,100 ton Rudelsburg, owned by the Hansa Line of Bremen. In 1919 she was surrendered to Britain as part of war reparations, and sold to the Hall Line in 1920.

As she made her way from Belfast to Rotterdam on October 8th, 1923, she was running in and out of patches of fog. That fog became particularly dense as she approached Land's End and thicker still just before she struck the Runnel Stone off Cornwall. Driving hard on, she tore huge holes in the hull and ripped off her stern post. Number 1 and Number 2 holds started filling immediately and Captain Ring, who had his wife and daughter aboard, at once ordered the crew into the life-boats. Both the Sennen and Penlee motorised lifeboats soon appeared and rescued everyone without loss. Shortly afterwards, the 470ft-long City of Westminster slipped broken-backed down the side of the Runnel Stone. She hit it so hard that she knocked 6m off its top. As a result, the Runnel Stone, which used to be visible at all states of the tide, has never since been seen above water. The bow of the wreck now lies in 20 to 30 metres of water, and is a popular recreational dive site. The stern section lies further out in 50 metres of water.

It is not known whether this particular rifle actually went down with the ship and was later salvaged, or missed that final voyage by some quirk of fate. Perhaps it was in the Captain’s hands to guard over the safe transfer of the 73 shipmates, especially his wife and daughter, into the lifeboats on that fateful day.

Edited by CptCurl (08/10/08 11:22 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ForrestB
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/04
Loc: Texas
Re: A Savage 99 with History.. [Re: Marrakai]
      #52722 - 18/03/06 04:23 PM

This was a terrific post. I'd love to read more like it if anyone cares to contribute. Thanks, Marrakai.

Brent
.224 member

Reged: 08/04/05
Loc: Iowa
Re: A Savage 99 with History.. [Re: ForrestB]
      #54742 - 14/04/06 12:28 AM

Another 99 with history is a rifle owned by Paul Errington. I wonder how many people know him though. He was a student of Aldo Leopold, a founding leader of the USFW Coop Fish and Wildlife Research Unit (they are the ones that actually do much of the research on fish and game animals), he more or less invented the idea of compensatory mortality and coupled it to harvest of wildlife, and he also, like Leopold, wrote for the public, such books as "The Red Gods Call", "Of Men and Marshes", "A Question of Values".

Hunters everywhere, and most especially in the United States, probably have no idea of what they owe this guy.

I have, for years been hoping to purchase or get a museum to purchase his Model 99 deer hunting rifle which he used in Minnesota on multiple hunting trips. It is notched several times on the forend for each deer he killed. I believe it is a .30 caliber but I"m not sure. With provenance that is beyond dispute, what would any of you think it is worth? I sure woudl like to see this gun preserved and even displayed for the public (but where? The museum in Cody perhaps?).

You can read a brief essay on Errington at: http://www.nrem.iastate.edu/errington/bio.htm

Any thoughts?

Brent

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: A Savage 99 with History.. [Re: Marrakai]
      #56532 - 06/05/06 08:16 PM

Excellent post!

I cant imagine hunting a Tiger with a 22.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: A Savage 99 with History.. [Re: bulldog563]
      #93414 - 04/01/08 01:59 PM

Top Stuff!! {Beat you, 500Nitro!}

Here at home, the 99 was standard issue for Idaho State Police for years, too. For the territory they continue to travel, I reckon they could do far worse even today.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10939

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com