Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My son's .30-06 Rifle Project

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
My son's .30-06 Rifle Project
      #56004 - 28/04/06 11:41 PM

All:

Over the past few months, I have been doing a lot of posts about actions, barrels and gun stocks for a "labor of love" project that my father and I are starting for my son, Ewan.

Well, the project is now officially under way, and I wanted to share with everyone the progress of this project.

As of right now, here is what we have:

A pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 action that was manufactured in 1955.

Roger Ferrell will be the gunsmith doing all of the action works, barrel installation and sight work.

Bill Soverns will be doing the stock work.

On Monday I wired Ali Denli the money for the Circassian Walnut wood blank that I am using for this project. The blank should arrive in the US in a a week or two. Here is a photo of the blank that Bill will be working with:

Bill will be carving the wood blank into a stock very similar to this shape: Custom Gun by Todd Ramirez

We have choosen a Kreiger Barrel for this project. Based upon feedback and recommendations from many people here on AR, specifics about this barrel include:

Chrome Molly
Blued
1 in 10" rate of twist
24" barrel
32 Standard Sporter Contour

We plan on have a barrel band front swivel and the sights will probably be from NECG.

That's the project as of today. The action will be shipped to Roger next week and he will order and install the barrel and do any and all necessary work on the action. He said it will probably take about 12 weeks for the barrel to arrive.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skeetshooter1
.224 member

Reged: 01/05/05
Loc: Scotland U.K.
Re: My son's .30-06 Rifle Project [Re: clark7781]
      #56016 - 29/04/06 01:53 AM

I read your post with interest as I planning a 30-06 as well.
It will be the second custom rifle for me. My first was a 375 H+H magnum with a pre'64 action.
I hunted in South Africa with it last year and the year before taking 14 different species.
I used parts (barrel band swivel, barrel band front ramp) from Recknagel and I think the NECG parts are from them as well. You can check them out at www.recknagel.de If you email gabi.recknagel@recknagel.de they will send you a mouth watering catologue.

The plan I have for my 30-06 is a colour case hardened pre'64 or Montana rifles action and a stainless damascus (yes damascus) barrel, check out the barrels at www.damasteel.biz/firearms
Probably no fixed sights but a fancy dual dovetail mount system I'm still working on.
Good luck.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: My son's .30-06 Rifle Project [Re: clark7781]
      #56171 - 01/05/06 07:26 PM

Beautiful blank!. Your son is one lucky guy, should be a great rifle that he will treasure long into the future.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: My son's .30-06 Rifle Project [Re: bulldog563]
      #56180 - 01/05/06 11:36 PM

Seconded with cheers to all parties involved! What a lucky boy to have a father and grandfather who care so much for him!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: My son's .30-06 Rifle Project [Re: skeetshooter1]
      #56186 - 02/05/06 02:08 AM

Just be damn sure you replace the bolt shroud with a gas block shroud. I have only ever seen one accident with a pierced primer in the M-70 and yes it was the shooters fault. You can hardly tell his right eye is glass and the tip of his nose is a prothesis. He can still shoot left handed however.

It's a rare accident, easily prevented...

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2865

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com