Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Argentine Mauser and the .375 and the 416 Rem. Mag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Jake
.224 member

Reged: 24/09/05
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Argentine Mauser and the .375 and the 416 Rem. Mag
      #52086 - 11/03/06 03:43 AM

For years I've used my .375 which has been worked over to use the longer cartridge....with never a problem. The feeding ramp had to be shortened and the magazine box lengthened and of course this would need to be done IF the same action or similar action (like an '03 Springfield) was used. Years ago I had a Springfield custom in .375 and the bullets were seated well into the shell case like an extra 1/8" and a small amount was taken out of the feeding ramp.

Now I realize the bullet had to 'jump' into the rifling a tad but it was a great shooter nonetheless. Seems I never see a Springfield custom in .375 and am wondering if the action is questionable in strength. Some Springfields under 3 million in serial # were softer according to a gunsmith I was very acquainted with and he would stay away from these.

That being said, since the OAL of the .375 and the .416 Rem. Mag. are the same, what results (if any) show the two don't go hand in hand ?? Too big of a stretch for a standard length action ??? Thanks for your input.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: Argentine Mauser and the .375 and the 416 Rem. [Re: Jake]
      #52227 - 13/03/06 12:29 AM

I've never worked on a Springfield but have no fear that they would handle either the 416 or 375 adequately. Like the mauser they would have to be opened up a bit but see no reason it can't be done.

They are routinely rechambered to the 300 magnum so the pressure is not a problem.

The thing is there's so much more experience with the Mauser and even the P-17 Enfield when it comes to larger cartridges that we don't see a lot of springfields with the extensive metal work.

Many folks believe that the springfields should be avoided under number 810,000 and possibly that is to be taken seriously but there's a lot of springfields made after that.

Personally they just don't make a nice profile when they're done. However that is subjective and pisses off a lot of springfield owners.

--------------------

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Argentine Mauser and the .375 and the 416 Rem. [Re: vapodog]
      #52308 - 13/03/06 05:16 PM

In reply to:

Many folks believe that the springfields should be avoided under number 810,000 and possibly that is to be taken seriously but there's a lot of springfields made after that.

That is true!! there was a serious problem with heat treatment/caseharding in that range!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Argentine Mauser and the .375 and the 416 Rem. Mag [Re: Jake]
      #53629 - 30/03/06 04:55 AM

I'd not use an original Springfield of any vintage unless loads were kept at original factory levels only.
: Original ballistics of the .375 were for 2,400fps with 300gr. bullets and 2,600fps with 270's. Those are the 'factory' levels I spoke of.
: These seemingly low-power ballistics are the loads the .375 gained it's enviable reputation on.
: I personally believe that velocities above 2,400fps to 2,500fps are not needed nor desired and with normal bullets at normal game ranges.
: Today, we seem to be locked into a magnumitis-required society, which, of course, was developed by compainies needing to sell us 'something new' to keep us buying. Without this need or desire to go faster, hit harder, and have extended range, we'd only have a few rifles to use for all our game shooting and actually we'd be better shots due to our familiarity with them.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: Argentine Mauser and the .375 and the 416 Rem. Mag [Re: Jake]
      #53701 - 31/03/06 03:18 AM

It's pretty tough to make military actions that were designed around the 30-06 and 7.65 Argentine cartridges to work properly with the 375 H&H and 416 Rem. Mag. cartridges without a lot of work and expense, that is, if you want them to work 100%.

For one thing, the magazine boxes and followers are completely wrong dimensionally and need to be replaced; the magazine box mortises are all wrong and need to be re-machined to accomodate the right boxes, as are the feed rails, extractors, ejector, bolt stop, etc, etc. On top of that 1909 Argentine actions are notoriously soft and need to be properly rehardened or else there's a very real risk of locking-lug setback after just a few rounds.

I'll be honest with you, there's no economy in running with these actions for a 375 H&H or a 416 Rem., and in fact this whole concept represents an exercise in reverse-economy.

You'd be far better off just to pick up a Model 70 375 or 416, and you'll then have a superior action as well that's better-designed and better-built from much better steels that are properly and scientifically heat-treated and is dimensionally correct, by design, to work with those cartridges to begin with. And at the end of the day, you'll have spent less money as well to have this superior product.

Mausers and Springfields might cost less going in, but they cost a whole lot more going out............

PS: Hey 'Vapo', I do indeed go by my real name on these forums; just so you know, and just so there's no mistake.........

AD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2557

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com