Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Savage Weather Warrior: opinions, anyone?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Savage Weather Warrior: opinions, anyone?
      #45201 - 30/12/05 12:53 AM

I was looking at the Savage Weather Warrior 116FLSS.
Stainless Steel, left handed, long action for just over $400.00.
I don't own a "bad weather gun" and was considering picking one up for the rainy days.
I realise you get what you pay for. But for that kind of money how wrong can you go? Yes, it's light probably kicks like a mule. I'm looking for a gun to take out when it gets lousy outside. Something you can stick in a puddle to see how deep it is. Seems like it should fit the bill.
Opinions please.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Savage Weather Warrior: opinions, anyone? [Re: foxfire]
      #45242 - 30/12/05 07:38 AM

Foxfire,

I was at the Basspro shot in Gurney Mills two days ago and had a look at quite a few new rifles there. After talking a little to the salesmen there, they openly told me that the Savage rifles shot much better than the much higher priced Remingtons and Winchesters. I had a look at some synthetic Savages and they were nice if a little "different" looking to my old eyes. The bolts worked very smoothly and the rifles looked well put together.

My partner will be buying one for his son in 25-06 shortly and I could put you in touch with him if you like, once they have the rifle in hand.

Best wishes and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

foxfire
.375 member

Re: Savage Weather Warrior: opinions, anyone? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #45292 - 30/12/05 02:46 PM

MehulKamdar,
Thank you for your response. I have heard the same things the salesman told you. I heard they were accurate and functioned well. Given the cost I was able to get it for I ordered one myself. As a matter of fact I was called earlier this evening to let me know it arrived.
Last month there were dozens for sale on the internet. This month they seemed to have dried up. The dealer I spoke to said when they are restocked on the shelves again after New Year they will be marked up almost double what I paid for the gun.
I figure it will take me a little while to put it together and I'll be able to report back. But a lefty, long action, magnum caliber for just over $400.00 seemed the the deal of the year for me.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #45329 - 31/12/05 04:39 AM

Buddy of mine has one in .375H&H for his guiding, back-up rifle. It shoots bughole groups with 270, 285 and 300gr. bullets individually, in the same 2" overall group, of course.
: He really likes the rifle & is becoming his favourite for Moose and big bears.
: Prior to this, his preference was for custom rifles on P-17 and P-14 actions, in 8X68S and .338WM. The all-weather stainless rifle with polimer stock is the best foul weather rifle he's used & seen in cmp as well.
: When I guided back in the late 70's, everyone had difficult with their chrome-moly barrels and walnut stocks in the BC interior wet fall hunts. swollen stocks and rusting barrels were the norm.
: The .375 Savage is a slammer on Moose and bears alike with the 285 Grandslam Speer bullet.
: I personally don't own one - yet, but have converted to stainless barrels and polimer stocks jsut due to the fall rain that sometimes doens't stop. They are very much worthwhile in wet climates.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Savage Weather Warrior: opinions, anyone? [Re: DarylS]
      #45336 - 31/12/05 05:25 AM

Daryl,

What are you talking about? It doesn't rain here!

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Savage Weather Warrior: opinions, anyone? [Re: AdamTayler]
      #45341 - 31/12/05 05:59 AM

HA! It does, sometimes for weeks on end. Actually, in the lower mainland, it rains all year - at least feels that way, after several months of it. Maybe only when I lived there- HA!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

foxfire
.375 member

Re: Savage Weather Warrior: opinions, anyone? [Re: DarylS]
      #46561 - 14/01/06 04:39 AM

Well, I bought one of these in .338 Win Mag left handed. At first look it's obviously gonna kick like a mule. That's not to big a problem because the LOP is 13 1/4 - 13 1/2 and a new recoil pad is needed and the bolt functions a little rough.

First, off with the recoil pad. The Pachmeyer prefit pad fits like a glove and made the LOP 14 1/2 with the supplied spacer. Starting to look good. Then Leupold rings and bases and a Vari II 3-9 x 40mm (in black). This is fun and starting to shape up. Now some graphite lube on the bolt and rails, work the bolt a few hundred times and it's really taking shape.

Considering the budgeted amount of money I have into this gun, I have more than my monies worth. It looks great (pictures to follow) functions well, fits good now and soon on to the range.

I started out looking to put together a foul weather gun. I came up with one that seems to do it all very inexpensively.

--------------------

470Cap
.224 member

Reged: 24/12/05
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #46585 - 14/01/06 08:40 AM

What I like about the Savage is that when you get bored of it, you can buy all the gear from Midway to do your own rebarrel to 416Taylor. I think if I had my time again I would have set myself up to shoot a Savage with interchangeable barrels, a 338WM/416Taylor/458WM combination with maybe a 358Norma and 425Express barrel somewhere in the safe. Same headspace guages too I believe!
Cheers...

foxfire
.375 member

#46761 - 17/01/06 03:14 AM

Here's a quick picture of the finished product. This is my first stainless steel & synthetic stock rifle. I'm really pleased with the way it came out. Now if the weather would cooperate a trip to the range will tell the real story.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2083

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com