Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 7mm Rem Mag vs .300 Win Mag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
7mm Rem Mag vs .300 Win Mag
      #380364 - 26/10/23 11:14 PM

7mm Rem Mag vs .300 Win Mag: A Battle of Two Iconic Magnums
We put these two classic big-game cartridges head to head

BY COLTON HEWARD | PUBLISHED AUG 29, 2023 3:58 PM EDT

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/7mm-rem-mag-vs-300-win-mag/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 7mm Rem Mag vs .300 Win Mag [Re: NitroX]
      #380372 - 27/10/23 04:08 AM

Nowadays, with powders currently available, handloaders can almost match factory .300 Win. Mag. with a .30/06 as long as it has a 24" to 26"bl.
Hornady's Annual Manual 2023 has this data.

This puts the .30/06 ahead of the 7mm Rem. Mag.
I've owned a couple 7MM Rem. Mags.(& a chronograph) - was not impressed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: 7mm Rem Mag vs .300 Win Mag [Re: DarylS]
      #380373 - 27/10/23 05:45 AM

In my past I owned and used a 7MM Rem mag, a 7MM Weatherby Mag, two 300H&H mags, three 308 Norma Mags,
a 300 Winchester mag, a 300 Weatherby Mag and a 30-378 Weatherby mag.
All worked fine with good bullets and all gave me unsatisfactory results when I'd use bullets that would not hold together well enough to give deep and straight penetration.

So with 60 years of hunts behind me in 9 US States and in 4 other countries, with enough kills that I have lost count long ago from many different rifles and MAN MANY MANY different bullets I have concluded that the cartridge case is far less important then;
#1 your ability to hunt and shoot well
and #2 the integrity of the bullet used.

As a side note, of all the big 7s and 300s listed above I have only 1 left, a Mauser in 300H&H. And I kept it not because it was a 300 H&H but because it's a classic style of Mauser hunting rifle made the right way. I love the old gun.
(Although the old original "300 Magnum" or Super 30 if you prefer, is still an excellent game getter with 200 grain Nosler Partitions in it)

But try as I might to see it different for several years, when I was 100% honest with myself I can't say my big 7s ever did anything any better then my 270 Winchesters, and none of my 300 mags actually showed me any great advantage in their ability to put bag game on the ground in a quick fashion much better (or any better) then a good 30-06 ------ assuming all had bullets that held together.

I am a lover of fine guns and I also have a keen interest in various cartridges and have been that way for over 1/2 a century. But when I looked at the kills I have made and the kills I have seen made (I was a guide for years, so I saw probably 7-10 times more kills then I made myself and I myself made a LOT of them) I just can't tell anyone that the fast 7s and fast 30s truly have the magic that the advertisers tell us all about.

Nothing wrong with any of them. Just nothing all that much more "right" then what we've had for around 100 years.
Many shooters ascribe a religious dedication to what they own, and that causes hate mail to flow in from those I tell these things to, but with the experience I have I can't say I see what I was told I'd see over and above the killing performance of the 7X57 280 Remington (and 270 Winchester) and the old 30-06.

Edited by szihn (27/10/23 09:01 AM)

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: 7mm Rem Mag vs .300 Win Mag [Re: szihn]
      #380378 - 27/10/23 06:33 AM

I used both cartridges for hunting, especially the cartridge 300 Win Mag in the seventies and eighties. I only used the cartridge 7mm Rem Mag intermittently and shot very few game with it.

At the moment I still own a rifle caliber 7mm Rem Mag, not because I am enthusiastic about this cartridge, but because of the weapon, a Lloyd rifle that happened to be available in this caliber.

I cannot say that there are big differences in the effectiveness of this cartridges, assuming the same type of bullet. At the end, one come to the same conclusion as the author, that heavier bullets can be used with the cartridge 300 Win Mag, but I have no experience with that. From the 1990s onwards, I preferred for hunting medium to heavy game bigger calibers and then used heavier bullets.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag vs .300 Win Mag [Re: grandveneur]
      #380400 - 27/10/23 08:41 PM

Both cartridges are useful modern classics.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380401 - 27/10/23 08:59 PM

The comparing of a 150 gr.284 and a 150 gr .308 is a bit silly.

I would think the ,300 Win Mag with a 150 gr would be fasterthan that.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #380402 - 27/10/23 09:01 PM

If someone asks about a cartridge with which you can hunt all types of game in Western Europe, but which offers a little more when needed, especially for hunting abroad, I always recommend for many reasons the cartridge 300 Win Mag. There are certainly better cartridges, but the weapons and ammunition are often more expensive and are not always available everywhere.

As far as the cartridge 7mm Rem Mag is concerned, it competes in Europe with the cartridge 7x64 Brenneke, despite the fact that the two are not comparable.

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: 7mm Rem Mag vs .300 Win Mag [Re: szihn]
      #380404 - 27/10/23 10:56 PM

Quote:

In my past I owned and used a 7MM Rem mag, a 7MM Weatherby Mag, two 300H&H mags, three 308 Norma Mags,
a 300 Winchester mag, a 300 Weatherby Mag and a 30-378 Weatherby mag.
All worked fine with good bullets and all gave me unsatisfactory results when I'd use bullets that would not hold together well enough to give deep and straight penetration.

So with 60 years of hunts behind me in 9 US States and in 4 other countries, with enough kills that I have lost count long ago from many different rifles and MAN MANY MANY different bullets I have concluded that the cartridge case is far less important then;
#1 your ability to hunt and shoot well
and #2 the integrity of the bullet used.

As a side note, of all the big 7s and 300s listed above I have only 1 left, a Mauser in 300H&H. And I kept it not because it was a 300 H&H but because it's a classic style of Mauser hunting rifle made the right way. I love the old gun.
(Although the old original "300 Magnum" or Super 30 if you prefer, is still an excellent game getter with 200 grain Nosler Partitions in it)

But try as I might to see it different for several years, when I was 100% honest with myself I can't say my big 7s ever did anything any better then my 270 Winchesters, and none of my 300 mags actually showed me any great advantage in their ability to put bag game on the ground in a quick fashion much better (or any better) then a good 30-06 ------ assuming all had bullets that held together.

I am a lover of fine guns and I also have a keen interest in various cartridges and have been that way for over 1/2 a century. But when I looked at the kills I have made and the kills I have seen made (I was a guide for years, so I saw probably 7-10 times more kills then I made myself and I myself made a LOT of them) I just can't tell anyone that the fast 7s and fast 30s truly have the magic that the advertisers tell us all about.

Nothing wrong with any of them. Just nothing all that much more "right" then what we've had for around 100 years.
Many shooters ascribe a religious dedication to what they own, and that causes hate mail to flow in from those I tell these things to, but with the experience I have I can't say I see what I was told I'd see over and above the killing performance of the 7X57 280 Remington (and 270 Winchester) and the old 30-06.

I lack your experience Steve but, couldn't agree more. I like some cartridges better than others but am under no illusions as to the effectiveness of any.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 724

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com