Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Jack O'Connor on the 6.5 Creedmoor ;)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Jack O'Connor on the 6.5 Creedmoor ;)
      #362994 - 03/03/22 08:33 PM

https://www.outdoorlife.com/opinion/jack-oconnor-long-range-hunting-new-calibers/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Jack O'Connor on the 6.5 Creedmoor ;) [Re: NitroX]
      #362998 - 03/03/22 09:39 PM

I definitely agree with the art of stalking, one reason I love hunting with a versatile shotgun so much is that I seldom shoot at game out of shotgun range.
I don't tend to aim a lot as the majority of my shots are snap shots, the closest deer I ever shot was a Sambar spiker at 1m, I'd say I don't know which of us was more surprised but I'd have to say it was him as I unslung the gun and literally shot from the hip.
But knowing your rifle, knowing it's zero and knowing your load, reading the wind and trigger control have become more important to since I started hunting with the hornet.
Those skills are what my grandfather taught me as a kid and no amount of technology or advances will change that.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Jack O'Connor on the 6.5 Creedmoor ;) [Re: 260rem]
      #363000 - 03/03/22 10:05 PM

Even dead men vote for the Creedmoor!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (04/03/22 01:16 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Jack O'Connor on the 6.5 Creedmoor ;) [Re: NitroX]
      #363006 - 04/03/22 01:11 AM

Quote:

Even read men vote for the Creedmoor!

I saw this posted on Farcebook.. will say the same here I said on there.. 1. Would be impossible for me to care any less about what he thought..

EVERYONE knows the 6.5 Creedmoor is the best cartridge to ever be invented.. destroys everything in the 6.5 class.. not even close.. surprised any other cartridges in the 6.5 are still being produced..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Jack O'Connor on the 6.5 Creedmoor ;) [Re: Ripp]
      #363018 - 04/03/22 04:11 AM

There are so many 6.5, 270, 7mm cartridges that overlap performance-wise. I think that in practical terms, there really isn't much difference between many of these cartridges in the field.

I remember shooting with a friend who had a 6.5x284 that he said was the "cat's meow". The performance seemed to be the same as the 256 Newton. Of course, the 6.5x284 had a 1/4" shorter bolt throw - whatever that really means - not sure the importance of a slightly shorter bolt really is.

Well, I do like reading about new cartridges and new guns.

--------------------
RB

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Jack O'Connor on the 6.5 Creedmoor ;) [Re: 85lc]
      #363019 - 04/03/22 04:33 AM

Quote:

There are so many 6.5, 270, 7mm cartridges that overlap performance-wise. I think that in practical terms, there really isn't much difference between many of these cartridges in the field.

I remember shooting with a friend who had a 6.5x284 that he said was the "cat's meow". The performance seemed to be the same as the 256 Newton. Of course, the 6.5x284 had a 1/4" shorter bolt throw - whatever that really means - not sure the importance of a slightly shorter bolt really is.

Well, I do like reading about new cartridges and new guns.

Agreed.. Like you, not much better than late evening or early morning.. having a cup and reading about guns.. new and old..

TO my knowledge..benefit of shorter action is stiffer action.. equals more accuracy as less torsion at the shot..or so they say..

I have a 6.5x284 Cooper.. have shot it a few times.. works great.. but no diff really than any of my other 6.5's..

--------------------

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
      #363029 - 04/03/22 09:00 AM

I gotta say I was always a fan of the 260rem, absolutely love the 6 5x55 too, I actually love the Creedmoor to but not so much as a long range killer but as a modern and very accurate reinventing of those too.
It's got very mild recoil and will kill any deer at the same ranges as the older two.
But the 6.5/284 and 6.5/06 are still the best 6.5"s for longer range hunting, add the new 6.5wby nag and the same if they a 6.5PRC yet.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#363034 - 04/03/22 01:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I saw this posted on Farcebook.. will say the same here I said on there.. 1. Would be impossible for me to care any less about what he thought..

EVERYONE knows the 6.5 Creedmoor is the best cartridge to ever be invented.. destroys everything in the 6.5 class.. not even close.. surprised any other cartridges in the 6.5 are still being produced..

Ffffing android! It was "dead men" before android thought control changed it ...

PS I never read the article. ,:)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #363039 - 04/03/22 03:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Surprised you didn't write, "surprised ANY OTHER cartridge than the 6.5 Creedmoor is still being produced.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Jack O'Connor on the 6.5 Creedmoor ;) [Re: DarylS]
      #363056 - 05/03/22 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Surprised you didn't write, "surprised ANY OTHER cartridge than the 6.5 Creedmoor is still being produced.

I was going to but felt that was to harsh.. and you know how respectful I am of others feelings.. real or perceived ..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#363059 - 05/03/22 05:34 AM

Saw this on another site today..reminded me of this post..

"For some reason, humans develop strong emotional relationships with, and impressions of, cartridges. They may rate the Creedmoors as nothing but cartridges for millennial snowflakes, but may trust the .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Magnum with their life, because, well, it’s an Army thing. External ballistics is a science, not a feeling. Pick the cartridge that best suits your needs, that you can afford to shoot a lot, and that will generate a tolerable level of recoil in your rifle."

Have a great day

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#363064 - 05/03/22 06:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was going to but felt that was to harsh.. and you know how respectful I am of others feelings.. real or perceived ..

LOL

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#363066 - 05/03/22 06:37 AM

Quote:

Saw this on another site today..reminded me of this post..

"For some reason, humans develop strong emotional relationships with, and impressions of, cartridges. They may rate the Creedmoors as nothing but cartridges for millennial snowflakes, but may trust the .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Magnum with their life, because, well, it’s an Army thing. External ballistics is a science, not a feeling. Pick the cartridge that best suits your needs, that you can afford to shoot a lot, and that will generate a tolerable level of recoil in your rifle."

Have a great day

Yeah - I hear you. When I was a kid, I really liked the .458, both standard 2 1/2" and the 2". I mean, "loved it" - the Hammer of Thor.
15,000 rounds, then torn cartilage fore and aft in my right shoulder. Got those healed up as well as possible.
Sold, the .458's, bought my second .375/06IMP bl. worked up loads - haven't even shot anything with it as I haven't hunted moose for 6 years since my hunting buddy died.
Now, I have an '06 and realized that it's really all I needed, all these years.
I also have a couple 6.5's to lean on, if THAT time comes to pass.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1571

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com