Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Video A Pure American Icon The Lever Action Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Video A Pure American Icon The Lever Action Rifle
      #362393 - 20/02/22 03:50 PM

Rifles
[Video] A Pure American Icon: The Lever Action Rifle

By
Richard Anthony
Published on April 7, 2020

When one thinks of America, you can’t do so without thinking of the lever action rifle, it is a virtual symbol of the old west in the mid 1800’s. Almost every young boy growing-up in the United States from the 1950’s to the present date, has sat himself in front of a television set and watched a western movie, or a western television show. There are two items that symbolize the American west in film, one was the six gun and the other, was the lever action rifle. I believe that I could say, that the image of the lever action rifle is almost without exception, a purely American icon.

Here’s a little history of the lever action rifle courtesy of Wikipedia:

“In 1826, a lever-action revolver, which could shoot all six shots in less than six seconds, was produced in Italy by a Cesar Rosaglio and patented in 1829.

Image of the Colt Paterson Ring Lever rifle

The first lever-action rifles on the market were likely the Colt’s 1st and 2nd Model Ring Lever rifles, both cap and ball rifles, produced by the Patent Arms Mfg. Co. Paterson, N.J.-Colt’s Patent between 1837 and 1841. The ring lever was located in front of the trigger. This loading lever, when pulled, would index the cylinder to the next position and cock the internal hidden hammer.

Multiple lever-action designs including the Volcanic pistol were designed before the American Civil War, but the first significant lever-action designs were the Spencer repeating rifle and Henry rifle. The Spencer was a magazine fed, lever operated, breech loading rifle designed by Christopher Spencer in 1860. It was fed from a removable seven round tube magazine, enabling the rounds to be fired one after another, and which, when emptied, could be exchanged for another.

Over 20,000 were made, and it was adopted by the United States and used during the American Civil War, marking the first adoption of a removable, magazine fed infantry and cavalry rifle by any country.[citation needed] Unlike later designs, the early Spencer’s lever only served to unlock the falling block action and load a new cartridge from the magazine; it did not cock the hammer, and thus the hammer had to be cocked after the lever was operated to prepare the rifle to fire.

The Henry rifle, invented by Benjamin Tyler Henry, a gunsmith employed by Oliver Winchester in 1860, used a centrally located hammer, rather than the offset hammer typical of muzzleloading rifles, and this hammer was cocked by the rearward movement of the Henry’s bolt. The Henry also placed the magazine under the barrel, rather than in the buttstock, a trend followed by most tubular magazines since.
John Marlin, founder of Marlin Firearms Company, New Haven, Connecticut, introduced Marlin’s first lever-action repeating rifle as the Model 1881. This was chambered in rounds such as the 45/70 and 38/55. Its successor was the 1895 solid top design, which we know as the model 336 today. It also gave rise to the Marlin Model 1894, which is still in production today.”

https://greatamericanoutdoors.com/2020/04/video-a-pure-american-icon-the-lever-action-rifle/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continu...eature=emb_logo

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Video A Pure American Icon The Lever Action Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #362404 - 20/02/22 09:45 PM

Interesting. For various reasons grew up among lever actions 100s of them. After over 50 years of having a gun license I have only kept 4 that are keepers 2 1892s and 2 1894s. I did keep 2 Remington pumps as well.

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Video A Pure American Icon The Lever Action Rifle [Re: Ahmed577]
      #362413 - 21/02/22 12:40 AM

And they still work!

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Video A Pure American Icon The Lever Action Rifle [Re: crshelton]
      #362426 - 21/02/22 07:10 AM

Interesting John. Seems to me, this year, the Henry lever rifles have side loading ports just like the Winchesters.
This may or may not be on all of their models.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Video A Pure American Icon The Lever Action Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #362449 - 21/02/22 10:53 AM

I found this write up on Volcanic Repeatings Arms. It’s an interesting read just for the names of the men involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Repeating_Arms

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #362492 - 22/02/22 07:02 AM

I have owned lever actions, one form or another, most of my adult life.. In fact cant remember ever a time I didn't own at least one or two, or more... they are just fun and handy..

Great little history in that.. found it very interesting..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Video A Pure American Icon The Lever Action Rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #362602 - 23/02/22 05:48 PM

I am surprised that historically the multiple shot lever action was not used as the "assault rifle" of the 1800's. 7 or 8 cartridges of .44 or .45 of reasonable weight, able to be fired very fast for closer range action. Compared to say a single shot very long barrelled rifle. Perhaps the military planners lacked imagination and lateral thinking?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#362622 - 24/02/22 05:58 AM

The "Henry" of 1860 was used a little during the Civil War, but was a .44 Rimfire.
They were also used on the plains, along with the early 1866 Winchesters.
Even the model 1876 Winchester was sneered at, by the buffalo hunters who were mostly using single shot rifles by Sharps, Remington and Ballard. The Winchesters all had very light bullets(for calibre) shot from guns with slow 'round ball' twist barrels & were said to not be powerful enough to kill a buffalo. During the same time, mounted "hunters" military and otherwise, were shooting buffalo ("running" buffalo in was called) from horse back with martial pistols & revolvers. I suspect one of the .44/40 rifles, like later 1866's and the .73's would also have worked well from horseback.
The Military perspective was that if soldiers were armed with multishot weapons, they would "waste" ammo, thus cost too much.
The cost factor was also the reason that the military used copper cased ctgs. in the .45/70 long after brass cases were on the market & being used almost exclusively by the civilian hunters.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#362660 - 24/02/22 05:48 PM

Thanks for that information Daryl.

I believe Russia purchased some rifle length 1895 (?) Lever action rifles. I have a book from when I was 10 on guns featuring these rifles.

I believe the Johnson's had two lever actions in their armoury. Perhaps for mounted lion shooting? Or unruly massed headhunters?

If the ammo was up to it, I can't see how a .44 or .45 lever action could not be an effective "sub machine gun" compared to long musket length single shot rifles under 100 or 50 yards.

I can shoot my .308 BLR very fast and accurately at a decent sized target. It is very accurate. Light weight. Carbine length. Good for brush, plains, even mountains. If it could take higher capacity magazines it would be perfect.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#362661 - 24/02/22 05:59 PM

Quote:

Martin and Osa Johnson spent four years at "Lake Paradise" in Northern Kenya on the Eithiopian (then Absynnia) border. This was their second sojourn to the Lake to take photos and film of the wildlife.

They armed themselves with the following 'arsenal':

3 English Blands - .470 NE - double barrel
1 English Bland - .275 - Mannlicher action
1 American Springfield - .303 - Mauser action
1 English Rigby - .505 - Mauser action
3 American Winchesters - .405 - lever action
1 American Winchester - .32 - lever action
2 English Jeffrey's - .404 - Mauser action
1 American Winchester shotgun - 12g - repeating
1 American Parker - 12g - double barrel
1 American Ithaca - 20g - double barrel
1 American Ithaca - 20g - sawed off shotgun, called riot gun
1 .38 Colt revolver
1 .45 Colt revolver

Reference: "I Married Adventure" by Osa Johnson, 1940

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=57680&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

3 American Winchesters - .405 - lever action
1 American Winchester - .32 - lever action

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#362686 - 25/02/22 03:50 AM

Quote:

The Military perspective was that if soldiers were armed with multishot weapons, they would "waste" ammo, thus cost too much.
The cost factor was also the reason that the military used copper cased ctgs. in the .45/70 long after brass cases were on the market & being used almost exclusively by the civilian hunters.

From what I was told, same reason burst option was installed on M4's --vs full auto.. panic or whatever sets in. 3 shots per trigger pull vs complete mag dump..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#362695 - 25/02/22 05:34 AM

Weird..I was looking for my ..223 bolt gun last weekend and discovered another lever acton .22 rimfire I forgot I had.. took it to the ranch to be used on ground squirrels if it warms up at some point..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#362712 - 25/02/22 09:34 AM

One of the guys I know in Bozeman, Doug S., calls early gopher shooting, "snow painting".

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#362717 - 25/02/22 11:00 AM

Quote:

One of the guys I know in Bozeman, Doug S., calls early gopher shooting, "snow painting".

Red Mist...

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#362731 - 25/02/22 09:54 PM

Quote:

Weird..I was looking for my ..223 bolt gun last weekend and discovered another lever acton .22 rimfire I forgot I had.. took it to the ranch to be used on ground squirrels if it warms up at some point..

That is funny. A rifle I forgot I had.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#362733 - 25/02/22 10:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

From what I was told, same reason burst option was installed on M4's --vs full auto.. panic or whatever sets in. 3 shots per trigger pull vs complete mag dump..

When I used an M60 I only fired it in bursts. Now I think why didn't I go full auto suppressing fire?! I was only shooting at plastic bottles though, nothing fired back.

Shooting M16s and AK-47s same thing. I am a natural burst fire auto shooter. On the full auto setting btw. Again though nothing firing back. Bullets zipping past an ear change one's viewpoint quite well. .

I think I fire three or four rounds and watch the impact. Then fire again and again. If water filled plastic bottles, when one is destroyed, move to the next. A suppressing fire sweep might have been fun. Next time ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (25/02/22 10:13 PM)

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
      #362736 - 25/02/22 10:07 PM

I only ever owned two lever action rifles a Chiappa 1892 trapper carbine in 44mag.
Beautiful little gun, easy to point and smooth to use and a Marlin 336 big loop 30/30, heavy gun, thick gun not nearly as nice to use.

Sadly I'm just not built to use lever action guns so both are long gone, I'm as just as fast with a bolt action to shoot accurately and much more precise with it.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Video A Pure American Icon The Lever Action Rifle [Re: 260rem]
      #362757 - 26/02/22 05:49 AM

The Uberti Win. 1876 Centennial (.50/95) sitting using cross-sticks was very fast shooting on steel sils. I used it in a team event, Sunday Challenge timed event at a cowboy action shoot. My team won by over 30 seconds. I got all 12 steel targets from 150 to 200 meters, one shot each. The rifle holds 11 + 1.
The most fun-to-shoot lever gun I've ever had, was the Winchester m94 Trapper (16" bl) in .45 Colt. I used Ross Seyfried's .44 magnum-pressure loads on 2 elk with it. 300gr.HP's with 25gr. W296 in RP brass. He used Fed, but they were not as strong as the RP brass in the web. 300gr. @ 1,584fps. Same ballistics as the model 86 & 85 with .45/90 Blk. powder load.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1630

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com