Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Do any of you use / have.....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
longfeather
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/05
Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Do any of you use / have.....
      #340375 - 24/04/20 09:44 AM

Hello All

I'm in the process of downsizing the gun collection (way to many safe queens). I'm retiring and moving into smaller housing so some things have to go unfortunately.

Anyway, I've decided I want to get a take down /switch barrel rifle in 300 win mag & 375 H&H to take the place of the ones I have now.

I'm leaning heavily towards a Sauer 404 or a Dakota 76 traveler. The Blaser R8 is a way way very way distant 3rd possibility,

So my question; do any of you fine gentlemen (and ladies) use or have used either of these rifles? Likes / dislikes /etc.? I am particularly interested in your experiences with the rifles returning to "zero" after being taken down / put back together or when swapping barrels?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,
Longfeather

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Do any of you use / have..... [Re: longfeather]
      #340399 - 25/04/20 04:50 PM

I don't have either.

But I'd go for the Dakota Travellor before the Sauer. I would have bought one except it was too expensive for me and what I wanted from a multi barrelled rifle.

As the Dakota system has the bolt locking up in the collar attached to the barrel and not the action, it is a better system than where the collar is traditionally still on the action, and the barrel thread is loosed or interrupted to allow the barrel to be unscrewed more easily. These are allegedly subject to wear over time.

I can't vouch for the reliability of return to zero for those two rifles. I personally would not be worried about them being made well enough to return to zero and assuming good QD mounts are chosen as well.

For medium or larger bore calibres, they will be fine.

My switch barrel Mauser M03 with the .222 barrel I still always check after switching barrels. As I demand extreme head shot accuracy from it. As a estimates sometimes it is maye a half inch or an inch different. usually up and down only ??? This might be some very slight variation in the barrel's angle from the screws tightening or ? Or same for the scope.

If you want barrels with different case head sizes, the Sauer will be more versatile.

I always wanted a M98 switch barrel rifle myself. A Dakota would a good choice for that.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Do any of you use / have..... [Re: NitroX]
      #340415 - 26/04/20 03:47 AM

Some guys have incorporated the Savage locking collar on Remington and Mausers for easier switch-barrel work on bolt guns. As far as zeros go, I'd expect a need to re-sight every time.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Do any of you use / have..... [Re: DarylS]
      #341954 - 08/06/20 10:55 PM

Quote:

Some guys have incorporated the Savage locking collar on Remington and Mausers for easier switch-barrel work on bolt guns. As far as zeros go, I'd expect a need to re-sight every time.

THIS has intrigued me as a poor man's switch barrel system

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Do any of you use / have..... [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #341977 - 09/06/20 02:28 AM

With the long Savage action & 3 different bolts for it, one fellow has 34 different barrels and calibres. I think the finer threads like on the Savage,
Ruger and Remington might be better, but with the inner action collar or stop-ring, locking up the barrel on a Mauser for headspace
would be easy. Just wind it in till it stops, set the collar and done.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Do any of you use / have..... [Re: DarylS]
      #342016 - 09/06/20 09:03 PM

Quote:

With the long Savage action & 3 different bolts for it, one fellow has 34 different barrels and calibres. I think the finer threads like on the Savage,
Ruger and Remington might be better, but with the inner action collar or stop-ring, locking up the barrel on a Mauser for headspace
would be easy. Just wind it in till it stops, set the collar and done.

I had a look for this on the net, back when posted. I couldn't find much on it. Any pointers, links to look at. Especially for a Mauser 98.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Do any of you use / have..... [Re: NitroX]
      #342053 - 10/06/20 02:59 AM

Sorry, no. I had/have a picture of the rifle, with the bolts and the barrels, but cannot post that here.
I am merely aware that others have used the Savage "system" on other actions, Remington and Mauser.
There is an outfit in Texas which sells ready-made barrels for Savage rifles, along with the barrel nuts, but I do not remember the name of it.
I just Googled it and there are a lot of outfits int he States who sell ready to install barrels for Savages along with the barrel nuts. Here's a list of them.
For headspacing, a ctg. is used, Wind the barrel on, insert a ctg. and bolt, then when the barrel locks up with 0 headspace on that ctg. set the barrel nut against the front of the action and lock it. done.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Savage+Replacement+Barrels

Here is one of them, showing the long threads as well as the barrel nut below by scrolling down their page.
They also sell barrel nuts for Remington 700 actions, but not Mausers. Because the Mausers actually bottom against the inner shoulder, perhaps this system would not be as 'easy', however properly butted
with only 35 pounds force, the barrels would still be easily 'broken' free, however an action wrench would be needed. With the Savage no shoulder system, once the nut is 'cracked' the barrel is free to turn.

http://www.x-caliber.net/savage-pre-fit

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2210

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com