Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sako's S20 rifle.. Newly released 2-20-2020..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Sako's S20 rifle.. Newly released 2-20-2020..
      #338201 - 21/02/20 06:14 AM

Sako S20 rifle
Their answer I guess to the competition...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epxG6RJRJNE

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sako's S20 rifle.. Newly released 2-20-2020.. [Re: Ripp]
      #338221 - 21/02/20 02:30 PM

OFF OF SAKO'S WEB SITE..

Sako is going after the LR market..

The thumbhole stock will not be a seller to many in this part of the world...IMHO
https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-s20/s20

BUT the offer other stock options similar to the TRG models..
https://www.sako.fi/s20-stock-configurations

And comes with 5 and 10 round mags..
https://www.sako.fi/s20-stock-configurations

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#338222 - 21/02/20 02:44 PM

At launch, the S20 comes in 243 Win, 308 Win, 6.5 CM, 270 Win, 30-06 Sprg, 7mm Rem Mag, 300Win Mag and 6.5 PRC calibers. “As a whole, the S20 is something new and represents the pinnacle of design and manufacturing skills of Sako.11

SAKO UNVEILS THE FIRST TRUE HYBRID RIFLE FOR BOTH HUNTERS AND TACTICAL SHOOTERS
THU, FEB 20, 2020 18:00 CET
https://news.cision.com/sako-oy/r/sako-u...ctical-shooters,c3039991

Sako, the leading Finnish manufacturer of world-renowned rifles and cartridges, defines a new category in bolt-action rifles by introducing S20, the first true hybrid rifle. Designed with progressive shooters in mind, the modular structure adapts to changing lifestyles, making S20 a truly future-proof rifle.

One of the innovative main features of S20 is the takedown stock interface. The unique modularity allows the rifle to be configured to the shooter’s preferences with different rear stocks and forends. At launch, Sako introduces both the tactical precision stock and the ergonomic hunting stock, the latter being an improved version of a traditional thumbhole stock more akin to a pistol grip. Switching between stocks is fast and easy, virtually changing the rifle from a tactical rifle to a hunting rifle with a perfect grip or vice versa in a matter of minutes.

Inside the S20 stock is an aircraft-grade aluminium chassis that carries all the recoil forces. The durable structure of the frame has been carefully designed for maximum stiffness to increase accuracy and robustness. Additionally, the S20 utilizes strong H.I.R (high impact resistant) material over the chassis to give a professional grade performance with a high level of comfort and adaptability.

Overall, the adjustable ergonomics are a big part of the S20 design. The multi-adjustable trigger (available as both single stage and two stage variants) can be moved backwards or forwards to better fit different hand sizes, and a quickly adjustable cheek piece and spacer help to find the best possible shooting position. Combined with a wide selection of M-LOK and QD compatible accessory options, S20 adapts to all body sizes and shooting situations.

The cold hammer forged barrel combined with the whole-length aluminium V-Bedding system increase the repeatable accuracy of the S20. The receiver of the rifle has been engineered with rigidity in mind and has an integrated Picatinny rail that is machined directly into the steel receiver. The bolt of the S20 is manufactured from high-grade stainless steel for better weather resistance. To increase safety and performance, the S20 has a firing pin safety and a very high locking lug surface area. This, combined with the three locking lug design, enables smooth, safe and precise operation of the rifle.

Made from fiberglass-reinforced composite, S20 magazines are designed to support reloaders with longer maximum cartridge length. Due to the unique structure of the magazine, cartridges are also supported from the shoulder to prevent bullet damage from recoil. The S20 comes with a 5 round (3 Magnum) magazine, and a 10 round (7 Magnum) magazine is available as an accessory. At launch, the S20 comes in 243 Win, 308 Win, 6.5 CM, 270 Win, 30-06 Sprg, 7mm Rem Mag, 300Win Mag and 6.5 PRC calibers.

“As a whole, the S20 is something new and represents the pinnacle of design and manufacturing skills of Sako. It’s a hybrid rifle with unique features that both hunters and tactical shooters can appreciate. Whatever your background or story is, the future-proof S20 provides competition grade performance in a lighter and leaner package,” says Claes Björkstén, Marketing and Communications Director, Sako Ltd.

The rifle will be launched on Sako’s digital platforms the on 20 February at 5:00/17:00 pm GMT (12:00 pm EST). The official unveil will be at IWA on 6 March.

Sako S20 features in more detail

The first true hybrid rifle with unprecedented design delivers novel modularity, exceptional durability and unparalleled SUB MOA accuracy.

What truly makes a hybrid rifle is its highly configurable stock. It is possible to mix and match – e.g., if you want to combine the tactical precision forend and its M-LOK attachments with the thumbhole-style hunting stock, feel free to do so.

The stocks can be taken down easily by loosening up two of the screws between the rear stock and forend. When collapsing the rifle between the rear stock and forend, there is no need to zero optics after assembly.

Ergonomic hunting stock
The Sako S20 hunter rear stock was designed with ultimate shooting comfort and ergonomics in mind. Having the best, most ergonomic grip on the rifle improves accuracy without compromising comfort. In an intense hunting situation, this can be the deciding factor between success and failure.

The hunter stock’s forend is designed to handle versatile hunting environments. Its integrated, soft, leather-like grip surface is made from high-quality synthetic materials and provides an optimal grip in any weather conditions. The Quick Detachable (QD) sling placements on both sides of the stock enable fast and easy attachment of the sling, improving rifle handling.

Tactical precision stock
The tactical precision rear stock of the Sako S20 combines great modularity with unparalleled ergonomics for the most demanding precision shooters. All in all, the ergonomics resemble those of modern precision rifles such as the Sako TRG rather than a traditional hunting rifle.

The forend of the precision stock was created specifically for long distance and precision shooting. The flat bottom helps balance the rifle when you’re shooting without a bipod.

Sako S20 design in more detail

The Sako S20 is highly adjustable and intended to always fit like a glove – whether it’s your lifestyle, preferred shooting position, posture or hand size. A comfortable rifle grip is the foundation of consistent accuracy.

The quick-adjustable cheek piece is a unique design specifically made for Sako S20. It’s easy to adjust with only one hand and one click of a button, enabling perfect alignment with the rifle scope. The recoil pad’s height and angle can also be adjusted, reducing felt recoil and enabling the perfect fit and comfort in a range of different shooting postures. Being able to adjust the height of the recoil pad is especially beneficial for people with a slighter build. The length of pull may also be adjusted with spacers for maximized control, accuracy and comfort.

The adjustable ergonomics are a key part of the Sako S20 design. This applies to the trigger, too, as having a natural grip on the rifle is not just comfortable but also improves accuracy. For optimal trigger ergonomics for different hand sizes, it’s possible to move the trigger either backwards (by 3 mm) or forwards (by 4 mm) with an Allen key. The weight of pull can also be adjusted (1–2 kg / 2–4 lbs).

“S20 was designed with an active shooter in mind, one who loves all aspects of the sport, whether you’re practicing that perfect shot on the range and spotting the quarry among the foliage. You can always take a new course and trust that your rifle is up to the task,” says Miika Tamminen, Research and Development Manager, Sako Ltd.

At Sako, our specially trained professionals manually check every single barrel as no automated device can replace a human eye in inspecting the barrel straightness, perfect rifle consistency and surface smoothness. Every rifle is tested to guarantee sub MOA accuracy according to Sako quality standards.

For further information, please contact:

Corporate, product and features:
Claes Björkstén
Marketing and Communications Director, Sako Ltd
Tel. +358 10 830 5200
Mob. +358 50 362 8965

Design:
Miika Tamminen
Research and Development Manager, Sako Ltd
Mob. +358 50 448 5436

About Sako
Sako is the world’s most prestigious rifle and cartridge brand. Our acclaimed reputation, high quality products and credibility are rooted in our employees’ unique skills and pride in what they do.

Established in 1921, Sako has an eventful history. First created to refurbish and service firearms for the Civil Guard in Finland, the company played a key role in Finland’s struggle for survival during the storms of the WWII. Later the company grew through focusing on production excellence, honoring its dedicated craftsman and personnel, and providing innovative solutions to shooters’ emerging needs.

For decades Sako has developed world-class military, target and hunting rifles, as well as cartridges. By integrating its knowledge of both the rifle and cartridge production, Sako brand can offer a shooter the unique advantages of uncompromising accuracy and reliability. Our main fields of operation include the design, production, marketing and global sales of military, hunting and sporting rifles as well as cartridges. In 2000, Sako joined Beretta Group, a company with unique firearms traditions reaching all the way back to 1526. Now Sako looks ahead more confidently than ever. We proudly carry on the rifle manufacturing knowledge and skills, with the utmost respect towards the surrounding nature.

www.sako.fi
Instagram: @sako_international
Facebook: www.facebook.com/sakointernational
YouTube: www.youtube.com/sakoltd

Tags:

Sako Oy

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#338223 - 21/02/20 02:45 PM

John,

Made with you in mind..available in 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC..

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #338224 - 21/02/20 06:17 PM

Quote:

John,

I noticed no 6.5x55 from a Finnish rifle! Obviously a gimmick rifle!

Watched the video in the opening post. The guy needs to learn some basic rifle terms. And he is so obviously touting the rifle trying to praise it.

"Great for the driven game market"??? Why??? It is a slow normal bolt action. I know many driven game hunters like the straight pull bolts because they are faster reloading. he Sako is slow like all turn bokts.

I see Tony Small on the youtube page says he believes it won't be legal in Australia.

Pity. But I don't see why it is worth E2000 in Finland. Over priced.

Thanks for posting it. Interesting to look at.

Ten round magazines are good though. Something the Blasers are not capable of.

While different I sometimes don't mind those modern looks ... make a cross with my fingers to ward off evil.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sako's S20 rifle.. Newly released 2-20-2020.. [Re: NitroX]
      #338229 - 22/02/20 01:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

John,

I noticed no 6.5x55 from a Finnish rifle! Obviously a gimmick rifle!

Watched the video in the opening post. The guy needs to learn some basic rifle terms. And he is so obviously touting the rifle trying to praise it.

"Great for the driven game market"??? Why??? It is a slow normal bolt action. I know many driven game hunters like the straight pull bolts because they are faster reloading. he Sako is slow like all turn bokts.

I see Tony Small on the youtube page says he believes it won't be legal in Australia.

Thanks for posting it. Interesting to look at.

While different I sometimes don't mind those modern looks ... make a cross with my fingers to ward off evil.

SAKO obviously chose to go with the better more efficient calibers??

Actually I found that odd as well.. curious how this will sell and be accepted ..

One of the scenes shown its obvious they are attempting to go after the LR market in the US..IF that is the main purpose, they have a lot of competition in that arena.. good luck..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #338230 - 22/02/20 05:31 AM

Good points, John, and RIPP.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #338248 - 22/02/20 08:19 PM

Quote:

He says because the butt stock can be removed it won't pass muster in Australia. Presumably if a pistol grip with no butt could be attached.

I don't know if this is true?

First with the existing butt removed there is nothing behind the action to grip onto. Nothing much more than trying to use say a M98 with no stock.

Secondly I am sure there are several or even lots of firearms where the butt stock can be easily removed. Not so quickly but with just a screw or two as well.

I don't think this rifle will have problems at all. We will see.

Quote:

I won't spend $3000 to $4000 for it. Would buy a Blaser before than. No exchangeable barrels on the Sako. The picatinny base is ugly. The rifle even sounded flimsy in the video, not solid like the salesman said.

Quote:

Something simply not possible with those ridiculous Blaser magazines with a combined trigger. Imagine a blaster with a ten shot mag where the trigger would be??!!! And it you wanted to carry an extra mag, you get a spare trigger to go with it. Ha ha.

I know some Blaster owners claim a detachable trigger makes their rifles far more safer ... especially when they loose their triggers. ha ha ha ha ah ha ha.

{quote]While different I sometimes don't mind those modern looks ... make a cross with my fingers to ward off evil.

The reason I mention Blasers so much is because that stock is so obviously a copy of the new gaping thumbhole Blaster stock.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #338252 - 23/02/20 01:07 AM

I generally really like most Sako rifles. All that I have owned are very accurate, all except the Finnlights. Don’t know about the Finnlight II though because I was so soured on them by the time they were released, I won’t hazard another try on one.

Oddly enough, the Carbonlights are incredibly accurate, and they are nothing more than a Finnlight in a pricey but much stiffer carbon fibre stock. I suspect the Finnlight accuracy issues I have experienced may be related to bedding issues in a flimsy stock - to be clear, the Finnlights are not bad from a hunting accuracy perspective, but I had much higher expectations because it was a Sako.

The new S20 is bedded in a stiff aluminum stock skeleton, much like the TRGs, so I suspect it will be typical Sako tack driver accurate but this new rifle does not appeal to me whatsoever. I absolutely despise thumbhole stocks and would not ever even remotely consider taking such an abomination into the field.

Maybe if there are people out there that want an all in one combined target/hunting rifle, this new S20 may appeal to them, but at the price point it will sell at, I suspect that most with the financial wherewithal to afford it will select a dedicated target rifle and a dedicated hunting rifle

Edited by Postman (23/02/20 01:21 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sako's S20 rifle.. Newly released 2-20-2020.. [Re: Postman]
      #338264 - 23/02/20 05:29 AM

Quote:

I generally really like most Sako rifles. All that I have owned are very accurate, all except the Finnlights. Don’t know about the Finnlight II though because I was so soured on them by the time they were released, I won’t hazard another try on one.

Oddly enough, the Carbonlights are incredibly accurate, and they are nothing more than a Finnlight in a pricey but much stiffer carbon fibre stock. I suspect the Finnlight accuracy issues I have experienced may be related to bedding issues in a flimsy stock - to be clear, the Finnlights are not bad from a hunting accuracy perspective, but I had much higher expectations because it was a Sako.

The new S20 is bedded in a stiff aluminum stock skeleton, much like the TRGs, so I suspect it will be typical Sako tack driver accurate but this new rifle does not appeal to me whatsoever. I absolutely despise thumbhole stocks and would not ever even remotely consider taking such an abomination into the field.

Maybe if there are people out there that want an all in one combined target/hunting rifle, this new S20 may appeal to them, but at the price point it will sell at, I suspect that most with the financial wherewithal to afford it will select a dedicated target rifle and a dedicated hunting rifle

I had very similar thoughts.. find this one quite fugly.. would love to try it out however and see how it shoots.. as you said, every Sako I have had is reasonably accurate with the exception of my model 75 in 375H&H.. very comfortable to shoot.. but all my 416's out shoot it..Rem, Win, and custom..

And yes, the dedicated target shooter will prefer something like this
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/rock-river-arms-rbg-1s-review/372346

--------------------

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #338287 - 23/02/20 09:52 PM

The new S20 is definately not my cup of tea.

Shooting game at silly distances is not hunting.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Sako's S20 rifle.. Newly released 2-20-2020.. [Re: Yochanan]
      #338293 - 24/02/20 02:10 AM

SAKO

Edited by rpeck (24/02/20 02:11 AM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Sako's S20 rifle.. Newly released 2-20-2020.. [Re: rpeck]
      #338305 - 24/02/20 07:00 PM

The reason why SAKO releases such type of rifle is a truth that quite many finnish, especially younger hunters, are wanna-be-Simo Häyhä.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #338306 - 24/02/20 08:11 PM

So far the only things about this that I like are , Double stack mag's, adjustable length of pull and adjustable check piece.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sako's S20 rifle.. Newly released 2-20-2020.. [Re: Igorrock]
      #338356 - 25/02/20 02:31 PM

Quote:

The reason why SAKO releases such type of rifle is a truth that quite many finnish, especially younger hunters, are wanna-be-Simo Häyhä.

I might be wrong but I don't think this rifle has anything to do with the above.. they are going after a market share the same as most every other rifle manufacturer trying to make a profit is trying to do.. I am willing to bet there are more firearms sold in one month in the US than in most other parts of the world in a year.. That is who they are marketing to..

Have not shot this yet, and really do like Sako in general..but not so sure about this one..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (26/02/20 03:16 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5605

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com