Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: On to the "wee" side of things

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
On to the "wee" side of things
      #303948 - 11/08/17 10:18 AM

Does anybody have a love affair with a special little .22 rim fire? Many of us here on Nitro Express are hard core big bore double rifle aficionados but I'm willing to bet that there are some of us that get teary eyed and nostalgic every now and then over a beloved .22 rim fire.

So, c'mon out of the closet and tel us what turns your crank when not playing with the .700 double!!!!

I have a few that I dust off in the middle of the night and lovingly fondle when nobody's watching:

An old Ruger 10/22 deluxe, and a Gevarm takedown that fires from an open bolt..... almost a machine gun the gun grabbers wail!!!!!! But I cherish that little thing!!!! A couple of Anschutz, one a model 64 in pimped out Weatherby commissioned wood, and a 1712.......... and a Ruger Mark 1 Target pistol to add to the low cost shooting experience!!!!

Rim fires are fun and they remind me of breathing right, trigger control, and life without fire belching heart stopping thunderous reports, and horrendous recoil.........

What little gems are you all hiding?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: On to the "wee" side of things [Re: Postman]
      #303959 - 11/08/17 12:08 PM

Can't say I have a love affair with my CZ 22 but I do get a lot of satisfaction out of shooting it.

It's very accurate and fortunately it shots best with Winchester T22 or Subsonics (ie very affordable ammo).

When I do take it down the range, I end up going through a few hundred rounds in a short period of time (a bit like a chain smoker I guess). When I've filled my targets full of holes I'll start shooting at the staples holding them to the backer - but only take out enough so the target stays put. Wind and luck play a role in my success, but it only takes time and ammo. Shooting thumb tacks at that distance (50 yards) is a bit easier but just as rewarding. All this is shot off a bench rest of course.

The 22 is also an excellent way to practice off-hand shooting (thanks to the cheap ammo) but I'll need to see if I can fit some weights to the rifle somewhere to simulate the weight of my big-bore CZs.

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: On to the "wee" side of things [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #303971 - 12/08/17 03:38 AM

I have a Brno TGF that is an absolute tack driver and I love the feel and quality of it. It is built the way a rile should be.

I also have a Lithgow Slazenger single shot (it was my fathers) that all of my kids learned to shoot with and a Winchester pump action (that was my father in laws) that is a heap of fun to use rolling cans. You can burn up a lot of ammunition fast doing that!

I had a Ruger 10/22 that was fun to use once but a gnome called Jackboot Johnny took it off me!

Edited by Bidgee (12/08/17 03:43 AM)

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: On to the "wee" side of things [Re: Bidgee]
      #304168 - 18/08/17 04:43 AM

I am blessed to own two 22LR that....get me all emotional. One is a Model 74 Winchester and the other is a High Standard Sport King. Both are still amazingly accurate if I do my part. Ordinarily 22's don't raise much excitement with me but these do. Both belonged to my late Father from the time I was a little boy back in the late 50's, early 60's. I think I was more excited when he brought them home than he was!

I have two other 22's and I like them. One is a S&W revolver from 1947. I don't know if that was yet the Model 17 or...was it The Outdoorsman or 22/32 Kit Gun? The other is a CZ, 455FS.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2103

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com