Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Behind-the-bullet- 404-Jeffery

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Behind-the-bullet- 404-Jeffery
      #301803 - 15/06/17 11:24 PM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...m_campaign=0617

The first two decades of the 20th century saw huge advances in cartridge technology, giving us the .30-06 Sprg., the .375 H&H, the .250-3000 Savage, the .416 Rigby and the .45 ACP. While all those went on to become a star on one stage or another, Jeffery’s .404 Rimless Nitro Express was somehow always overshadowed. It was a smart design, matching the ballistics of the rimmed .450/400 3” Nitro Express—already the darling of the single shot and double rifle crowd—in a repeating bolt-action rifle. Unlike the .450/400, which uses a 400-grain bullet of .411” diameter, the original .404 load used .423”-diameter bullets, maintaining the same muzzle velocity of 2,150 fps, for just over 4,000 ft.-lbs of muzzle energy. Should the hunter want to use his .404 on lighter game, a 300-grain load was developed, with a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps.

Being able to be housed in a Mauser standard-length action, the .404 made an economical, effective and sensible choice as an all-around rifle for sportsmen visiting Africa and India a century ago, and though the production numbers—in comparison to the number of .416 Rigby rifles produced prior to World War II—show that it sold very well, the Jeffery never received the accolades that the Rigby did. It certainly wasn’t due to the fact that the Jeffery was in any way ineffective or unreliable as a dangerous game cartridge; in fact many of the Eastern and Southern African countries chose the Jeffery as the cartridge for their Game Rangers, doing the dangerous animal control work. Yet, history is what it is, and by the 1960’s the .404 Jeffery had all but faded into obscurity.

It has all the necessary ingredients to make a perfect all-around rifle cartridge: it is only slightly longer than our revered .375 H&H Magnum, it uses a shoulder angle of roughly 8˚-20’, so it feeds like a dream, it is easier on the shoulder than most cartridges in its class, and with modern bullets the .404 Jeffery is undeniably capable of taking any and all game animals on earth, including the African elephant. And, thankfully, it seems to be making a strong comeback.

It isn’t as flexible as the African industry-standard .375 H&H—which can do just about anything you’d ask of it—but it is undoubtedly a better choice for the truly large game animals. Modern .404 Jeffery loads have an increased muzzle velocity compared to the ammunition of a century ago; 400-grain bullets at 2350 fps put this old girl in the .416 Rigby and Remington class. Even at that higher speed, the Jeffery still makes an easy-shooting rifle.

There are many premium softpoint bullets designed for the Jeffery; The Swift A-Frame, Woodleigh Weldcore, Hornady DGX, Peregrine BushMaster and Cutting Edge Safari Raptor are all available in .423”-diameter, in many different bullet weights from 325 grains to 450 grains, extending the flexibility of Jeffery. The choice of solid (non-expanding) bullets is equally superb, with Nosler, Woodleigh, Cutting Edge and Hornady all making excellent projectiles. Factory ammunition is once again (thankfully!) plentiful, and the prospect of handloading your .404 ammunition is no difficult task.

The .404 also has a respectable group of offspring, being the basis for the Remington Ultra Magnum series, as well as the line of Dakota and Nosler cartridges; all took full advantage of the large case capacity and beltless design of the Jeffery.

I own two rifles chambered to this lovely old cartridge: my favorite rifle of all time, a Heym Express by Martini, and a Legendary Arms Works Big Five. Both are sweet shooting, both are wonderfully accurate, and I wouldn’t hesitate to take either on a hunt anywhere in the world that warranted a cartridge of this performance level. I’ve used the .404 Jeffery to take game animals from warthog, reedbuck and impala, to the tenacious blue wildebeest (often known as the poor-man’s buffalo) to a huge-bodied elephant; all were taken cleanly and effectively. I’ve handed that Heym to a buddy, while we were out on the Zambezi Delta flood-plains, and watched him take a Cape buffalo at just over 200 yards when we absolutely ran out of cover. I’ve also carried that same rifle into the mopane to take my elephant at a mere 16 yards, with no worries whatsoever.

My own pet handload revolves around a good 400-grain bullet—usually a Peregrine BushMaster or Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilized Solid—and a healthy amount of Alliant’s Reloder 15, giving me a muzzle velocity of 2280 fps, with groups hanging right around MOA out to 250 yards. If I feel I want a bit more weight, my Heym Express absolutely loves the Norma African PH ammunition, driving a heavy 450-grain Woodleigh Weldcore at 2150 fps. The Legendary Arms Works rifle also loves the lighter 325-grain Cutting Edge Safari Raptor at 2550 fps, and I plan on taking that weatherproof rifle to Alaska one day for a grizzly.

So, why would one choose a .404 Jeffery over one of the .416s or a .375 H&H? Well, because it’s really cool. There’s something about the look of that cartridge that I like a whole lot. It does, in fact, pair well with a .375H&H while on safari, letting the .375 handle the long shots and acting as a backup gun to the Jeffery for the truly large game. In comparison to the .416s, I feel the modern Jeffery loads are the absolute equal, and having used the .416 Remington extensively throughout Africa, I saw no visible difference in killing power between the two cartridges. It comes in a lighter rifle than does the Rigby version, but in the end it’s really going to come down to a matter of personal preference, and I’d happily use any one of the three .40s for any African hunt.

The ,404 Jeffery received its due in John ‘Pondoro’ Taylor’s famous African Rifles and Cartridges, in which he states “The Game Warden of Tanganyika (now Tanzania) who started his hunting career shooting buffalo for their hides in Portuguese East (now Mozambique) with a rifle of this caliber, found it so entirely satisfactory that he has armed all of his native game scouts in the Elephant Control Department with Vickers’ .404 magazine rifles.” If that doesn’t prove the worthiness of the .404 Jeffery, I don’t know what would.

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (15/06/17 11:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Behind-the-bullet- 404-Jeffery [Re: Ripp]
      #301827 - 16/06/17 07:23 AM

I have been a 404 fan since I was a very young man.

I borrowed one for about 8 months when I was a young man and I thought the world of it. It was an original Jeffery, sold to a game department "way back when" (I believe it was Norther Rhodesia at that time)and was silver worn with some substantial throat erosion, but it still shot fine and it killed everything I ever put in front of it.

Just last month I finished making a 404 for myself. I made a promise to myself to make one because I liked that old rifles so much, but never seemed to get around to it. Until January.

Last winter I decided I'd do it. The old Jeffery was made on a single square bridge action. My new one is made on a GEW length Mauser that I opened up to work with the 404 cartridge. I added a drop mag and it feeds wonderfully now that I opened it up just a bit. The mag is an old London Guns mag that was made for the 375H&H, but with a bit of work the 404 is right at home.

The old rifle had a delightful rear sight. In those days I had exceptionally good vision and that sight was all I could have asked for. It had a standing sight with 3 or 4 folding leafs and then a ladder that calibrated to some ridiculously long range. I never shot anything with any sight other then the standing sight, but I used to toy with that ladder and those folders. The quality was 1st rate and I was just amazed at the quality. I thought it was super cool. I have never found another one like it.
The new rifle I made is stocked for a scope. I no longer have the super good eyes I had all those years ago and I can't shoot well in dim light with irons anymore, so I made a concision to my advancing age and scoped the rifle with a 2.5 power scope, and made the stock with less drop than the old one had. Overall it is still a cool gun and it brings back a lot of memories. Not identical to the old rifle, but pretty close. I have a hand made rear base for the set of Express sights, but this set is 3 folders with no standing sight. I did copy the barrel band swivel stud as closely as I could from memory, and I used a NECG front sight for the classic English look. The sights require me to force my cheek into the comb a bit to use them, but with my old eyes they are now only a back up sight set, so I will probably not ever hunt over them. I did zero them at 100, 200 and 300 so they are 100 functional, but I will rely on the scope for any hunting I do.

The barrel blank I got was one that had not been lapped and the lands were a bit rough. I lapped it a bit and tried it at 100 yards with Woodleigh bullet WOW! It shoots REALLY well. 4 shots touching. Can't ask for any better then that from a 404.

As of right now it has never been aimed at an animal. I hope it will be used before I am too old to use it anymore, but I am hopeful. A lot can happen in the next 2-20 years and so far I am feeling the age a little, but thankfully only a little.
Even if I never get that chance, I am delighted with the rifle, and from those memories of all those years ago, I am 100% sure it is all I could ever ask of a big game rifle.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Behind-the-bullet- 404-Jeffery [Re: szihn]
      #301831 - 16/06/17 09:09 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Ripp, Thank You for posting this article (and szihn, for your post).

I'm a very lucky lad, to own a nice .404 Jeffery myself.
Whilst I have very limited field experience with this rifle/cartridge, I hope to change this some time soon.
It is reassuring, to only ever read good reports on rifles in this chambering, so I feel confident it will do the job just fine. The rest is up to me (with the help of Mr Woodleigh)................

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Behind-the-bullet- 404-Jeffery [Re: Homer]
      #301865 - 17/06/17 08:04 AM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Whilst I have very limited field experience with this rifle/cartridge, I hope to change this some time soon.
It is reassuring, to only ever read good reports on rifles in this chambering, so I feel confident it will do the job just fine. The rest is up to me (with the help of Mr Woodleigh)................

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

You gents put it succinctly!
It is a great cartridge to load for, my CZ is far more accurate than I can hold steady & my yes my eyes are just like your Szihn - not the best now!
It has taken most of us a lifetime to get financial enough to get something so grand as these wonderful old cartridge/rifles & now to make them shoot & perform even better than they first come out; well to me that is an achievement itself!

Without the knowledge here in all manner of articles that encompass reloading or knowledge of the firearms themselves we're all re-inventing the wheel every time; & Yep Homer you nailed it!

Quote:

The rest is up to me (with the help of Mr Woodleigh)................
Quote:

Cheers
93x64mm

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Behind-the-bullet- 404-Jeffery [Re: 93x64mm]
      #302363 - 26/06/17 12:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

You gents put it succinctly!
It is a great cartridge to load for, my CZ is far more accurate than I can hold steady & my yes my eyes are just like your Szihn - not the best now!
It has taken most of us a lifetime to get financial enough to get something so grand as these wonderful old cartridge/rifles & now to make them shoot & perform even better than they first come out; well to me that is an achievement itself!

Without the knowledge here in all manner of articles that encompass reloading or knowledge of the firearms themselves we're all re-inventing the wheel every time; & Yep Homer you nailed it!

Quote:

The rest is up to me (with the help of Mr Woodleigh)................
Quote:

Cheers
93x64mm

Man, isn't that the truth...think of that all the time..all the new cartridges seem to be doing just that..reinventing the wheel..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2313

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com