Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Schultz&Larsen Stutzen

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
the impossible [Re: lancaster]
      #277845 - 12/02/16 05:34 AM

I bought a 6x42 Zeiss Diatal for the S&L because its still a good scope for many hunting situations and it looks period on this rifle.
got a like new scope with the old claw mount parts on the the rail.

how many time have we read this question "is it possible to buy claw mount feets for my old german gun?" no, its not but when I look how much modification was necessary to fit the 1970s german claw mount feets into the early 1950s Schultz&Larsen made bases I renounce my faith.

the rear feet fits! and in this postion its the right distance between eye and scope too.
dont believe it will ever happen again and the front feet also dont fit. not only in height but the claws dont having the right dimensions.
no problem it all the claws will be cut of, a little steel block will be welded under the front feet and new claws then milling and filing from this.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: the impossible [Re: lancaster]
      #277852 - 12/02/16 10:18 AM

You should use shorter scopes...

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

lancaster
.470 member

Re: the impossible [Re: Igorrock]
      #277865 - 12/02/16 03:56 PM

maybe but I believe it was original made for the size of a 6 x scope because any 4 x scope on this mount was to far of the eye.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: the impossible [Re: lancaster]
      #277897 - 13/02/16 05:09 AM

I have seen SEM fore mount which helps to assembly short scope so that objective lens is about an inch or even more backwards from mounts lower front part.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Schultz&Larsen Stutzen [Re: lancaster]
      #278504 - 27/02/16 05:38 AM

so the last mystery is solved: how to disassemble the M 42 bolt

I have got pics from canada coming over denmark showing the stutzen SN 615 bought after seeing the link in this thread above from P&S Guns/ Canada. there is another new owner of a M 42 because of this post here so better be careful!
Gunnar, the new owner is a Schultz&Larsen collector, pure danish breed and walk around the world in his life working as a game keeper/professional hunter.

one of the pics showing he was brave enough to disassembele the bolt something I dont have done till now because not knowing where to start and fear to break anything.

He was kind enough to make "How To Do It" pics and give a short instruction and because this is something you can not find anywhere I will post it here for the benefit of the classic rifle collector community.

"1: Bolt # 615, disassemble.

2: remove firing pin indicator from rear, img 2

3: remove the 2 side screws from rear housing, one on each side img 3

4: If bolt can not be un-screwed by hand, set up front part of bolt in vice, use appropriate pliers and protective buffers not to mar the metal, turn rear housing loose, remove from vice and turn the front part from rear the housing and the locking lugs, take care not to loose the spring loaded pointer. img 7

5: Now the firing pin and spring can be removed for cleaning, if this has not been done for a number of years there is likely a build-up of dried grease, which can be cause of miss firing. img 10

6: If need to the safety leaver and the spring loaded pointer can also be removed from rear housing via bolt from front side of rear housing.

7: assemble in reverse

8: Bushing for the back of firing pin spring, which fits inside the threaded front part of bolt, when bolt is screwed together. This bushing go in the rear housing with large diameter first, note the serial no. stamped on it show that parts were made to fit individual bolts. img 24/ img 24-1

10: firing pin and spring back in front part of bolt

11: Needed or not a little molylube on shaft where the locking lugs turn

12: spring loaded pointer into front part of rear housing

13: hand turn front part into rear housing, as you keep locking part and rear housing stationary, not to twist as pointers grap OK img 29

14: Now remember step "8" bushing, this bushing has to fit into the front part of bolt and support the firing pin spring, If the bushing do not slip inside, screw back and fort a little until you feel it has slide inside, there is no need for force.

15: set up in vice and snug the parts together. I think this bolt 615 has newer been disassembled and at no time found I any screws excessively tight.

16: Note the 2 side screws for the rear housing is not alike and go into individual screw holes, this prevent the bolt from come loose. img31

17: finaly screw in the firing pin indicator at the rear."

well, it worked for me

I was surprised to see this bolt is not made in on piece but a very clever design and ahead of its time. the light and therefore very quick firing pin shows this was made as a target rifle in the beginning.
thank you very much for the work

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (27/02/16 01:21 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#278655 - 29/02/16 10:02 PM

Schultz & Larsen serial numbers are far from being logical but some sense is this

the Mod 42 goes from 100 to 1320 http://www.schultz-larsenrifleclub.dk/model%2042.htm

a Mod. 100 DL last year in Namibia

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/featured_rifles_rs_greatdane_200906/

cape buffalo with 7x61 S&H

lions with a M 65 in 458 Win Mag

http://www.riffeljagt.com/NOMotterup.htm

Edited by lancaster (29/02/16 11:45 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#278908 - 07/03/16 01:55 AM

more pics showing the 458 Win Mag Schultz&Larsen here in a Model 56 A

in all there are 10 rifles known till now made in 458 and thats making them very rare like the Mannlicher Schönauer in 458.

a seventy pounder shot 1971 in Kenia by a danish hunter with a Mod 60, SN 6262

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#279834 - 25/03/16 11:59 PM

spring time also in Canada and the stutzen was on the range with handloads made by using 8x56R brass

the brass was blowing out with 42 grn N 203B and 125 grn Hornady bullet, on the left the original 8x56R case that gets only a little shoulder from the ch4d die set

gunshop basement find, 1960s Norm 7x61 ammo together with the new die set.
its allways a pleasure to deal with ch4d, they are cheap or better well-prised and allways willing to help no matter what the problems is. I can say only the best about them!

--------------------

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #279867 - 26/03/16 11:30 AM

Are the M65's, 68's etc the same action (basically) as your military sporting conversion?

Nice picture with lions

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Schultz&Larsen Stutzen [Re: Ash]
      #279886 - 26/03/16 07:43 PM

all are modifications of the original M 1938 action.
from M 54 onwards the action was extended to take 30 06/ magnum cartridges

and yes, the pic with the 3 lions is spectacular

--------------------

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
      #280701 - 10/04/16 06:26 PM

Simpson's LTD has or maybe by now they don't but they had two S&L stuzens in 8x58 r caliber. One had the barrel plugged and the other was good to go. You have to look under miscellanious catagory to find them. Just passing it along. Frank

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #280711 - 10/04/16 08:26 PM

Lancaster, all your photos are good. Yes the one with the 3 lions is the pick of them.

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Schultz&Larsen Stutzen [Re: FrankS]
      #280715 - 11/04/16 12:18 AM

Quote:

Simpson's LTD has or maybe by now they don't but they had two S&L stuzens in 8x58 r caliber. One had the barrel plugged and the other was good to go. You have to look under miscellanious catagory to find them. Just passing it along. Frank

thanks, I send them a mail about it

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#280929 - 15/04/16 05:34 AM

another Elephant shot with the very first 458 Win Mag rifle S 501 by the danish hunter Carl Juul Johansen in 1963

the rifle was made as a prototyp by Uffe Schultz Larsen in Otterup

and is still in family

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#281780 - 01/05/16 02:34 AM

the scope is on the rifle

with a little welding it was enough meat to mill new claws from the original feets but there is a little tension because the front base holes standing not perfect in line with the rear base. we dont know why this was done once but probabyl it had an today unknown reason. I will test it next week to see if this affects the rifle when shoting but if so it have to go back and the hole's have to be welded and file again.

we will see

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (01/05/16 02:37 AM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #281803 - 01/05/16 06:51 PM

Thanks for sharing Lars. I have always had an ambivalent relation to rifles made here i Denmark. But your thread does bring about a new interest. Being Danish ofcouse my patriotic mind says ofcouse I ought to have just one rifle in our own 8x58R. I do come across a S&L huntingrifle in 8x58R...maybe next time I might just grab it..:-)

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Schultz&Larsen Stutzen [Re: rigbymauser]
      #281816 - 02/05/16 03:42 AM

I am realy not responsible for this because it just came to me on its own. if a gun is without plastic, aluminium, weaver rails and white spacer I need to know what it is.;)

got some new made 8x58RD Horneber cases today and it was special. just the first case stuck into my die (I was able to rescue it) and when looking whats wrong find out the Lee 45/70 shellholder was out of specs for the 8x58RD and Horneber brass is with 12,80 mm base diameter very large. dont know why but Horneber going maybe up to max. measurments because the swedish rolling block and old Krag's made in the 1890s have oversized chambers whats not uncommon in this time.
the brass fits into the S&L chamber but is a little bit to tight to make fun in the sizing die so I turn them down on the lathe to the common 12,70mm base diameter.

danish 1928 made military brass

1960s Norma commercial brass

new Horneber

turned down

thats better

the CH4D sizing die

fire formed 8x56R PRVI brass

you can see how the case was blowing out

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (02/05/16 04:07 AM)

lancaster
.470 member

#282097 - 09/05/16 04:23 AM

for the archive
Simpson have two Stutzen for sale

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=9668

"8X58RD; 95% blue, good stock, 23'' barrel, Chamber has been dewatted via a weld. Reciever marked on left side 'RPL.T42 System Schultz & Larsen'. Bolt is numbered and not matching. 4 rear locking lugs on bolt. Bottom loading magazine. Interesting rifle., s/n 8xx "

we indentified it as SN 864, the chamber was welded once but is probably possible to open it again. nonetheless this rifle is on the gun market for some time now and well known.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=12728

"8 X 58R; 90% blue, good bore, good stock, 23.5'' barrel, Matching bolt. Scarce rifle here in the US. Metal needs a good cleaning. Bore should clean to at least Good condition., s/n 9xx "

we indentified it as SN 969

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Schultz&Larsen 416 Rigby [Re: lancaster]
      #282432 - 15/05/16 03:24 PM

a barreled action in 416 rigby for sale http://www.lauritz.com/da/auktion/schultz-larsen-pibe-samt-laas-m-56a-kal-416-rigby/i4272414/#

looks like it lay under a gunmaker's work bench for many years and will discourage many because it is only the basic for a project regardless you can get it for 270 euro whats proably the price for a .416 barrel blank today.
would like to see a master like Monsieur Dorlac making a classic african rifle with this.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#283778 - 12/06/16 04:08 PM

the fun is in the little difference

who ever had made it once one of the most horrible scope mounts I have ever seen on SN 1199.
http://www.hermann-historica-archiv.de/a...;db=kat57_s.txt

new at auction
http://www.lauritz.com/da/auktion/riffel-schultz-larsen-rplt-42-i-kal-8-x-57/i4306343/#

SN 526 was changed into 8x57 IS, new barrel and magazine ( double row mauser style ?) altered probably by S&L in Otterub, stock looks like a homemade job.
so its what you call a sporter.

was seeing pics of the S&L M 70 rimfire rifle bolt http://www.tirmaillyforum.com/mildot/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=163636&start=15

much simpler but you can see the technical DNA

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (13/06/16 04:16 AM)

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Re: Schultz&Larsen Stutzen [Re: lancaster]
      #284430 - 25/06/16 01:45 AM

had an invitation to denmark for a buck hunt with the S&L
and because the clocks going different there

I coming back as another person
I learned that vegetarianism is good for men, feminism is good for woman and you better burn your classic rifle because it will make the world a better place.
dont you believe it

I learned(again) that mental and physical fitness is not a question of age and that you never made it into the guard regiment without clean finger nails.

first some facts: roe and fallow deer are in the focus there. red deer is only on the Jutland peninsula where wild boar going north slowly from the german boarder. till now wild boar dont reach the danish islands but a hard winter seeing the baltic frozen could change this. the agriculture fear this like the devil fear holy water because of the large pig farms everywhere. if you having wild boars and pigs some bad day the swine fever will come what will be a real disaster.
by modern standards hare and pheasant are first class on the danish island, also partridge! maybe elg coming back to Jutland http://cphpost.dk/news/elk-return-to-denmark.html
the all time favorite classic 6,5x55 is today maybe the number 3 after 308 Win and 243 Win in use by danish hunter who go most times for roebuck and enjoy a classic small game hunt.

was invited for some days to hunt on roebuck and I came in a good society, here with a 12 ga Purdey and a 20 ga Alex Martin.

the collector love the unusual buck like this "tusker"

on the fist day we were seeing doe but then no more especially no bucks. it was allways cold and windy you were not believing we stand before the St. Johns day it feels like april.

so coming home without a buck but I am not disapointed, this is hunting

and I had the chance to meet avid hunters and collectors - in a word "gentleman" and so continued to fight against my unknowingness.
one highlight was the Model 38 I had in my hands

its bought by an american collector and waiting for export into the united states. the rifle hold 2 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber and the magazin have the same style of follower like the model 42.

here a pic of another M 38 with a new made stock and barrel in 7x57R SN 371

another interesting gun was this 4 gauge pinfire by Francotte/Liege iirc, would be a good gun for a project because it seems easy to made another short 4 gauge pinfire rifle barrel. for sale for only 900 euro I will sleep abou it.

also this 20 -25 mm muzzle loader target rifle

the best steel shot can do

a farmer in the neighborhood had a 6,5x55 Mauser 98 stutzen by Schultz&larsen, iirc, build in 1949.
its the typical style of the early post war years you find also with the M 42 hunting rifles when they work off the war stock. nice rifle but the owner left handed buy a new gun with a lefty action and you can buy such things for 100 euro today.
9 of 10 have to be destroyed before they realize it was a classic.

then we visit a collector of danisch krag rifles were I had the first time the opportunity to handle this action. was seeing that the magazine design of the M 38/M 42 based on the danish Krag magazine. nothing comes out of nothing and before the big bang there must have been someone who had pulled the trigger.

a pre war long range target/ sniper rifle in 8x58RD

the personal hunting rifles in 8x58RD and 6,5x58R Krag he build by himself at home

the 6x5x58R is his favorit buck hunting rifle shooting hole in hole

got a dummy from him made by using old military brass

8x58RD, 6,5x58R Krag, 6,5x55, 308 Win and 243 Win

you see the neck was turned, maybe his chamber have very tight dimensions.

before seeing the trophy collection on Valdemar's castle we visit the honour game keeper on this important estate, a retired hunter who had there the chance to realize his thinkings about a good pheasant habitat.

they return over 9000 birds a year to the wild from the pheasantry and work for the best possible hunt.

a hunter that came around the world, unfortunately had a water -pipe burst in the house so the trophy's standing around

exceptional reindeer from greenland

after drinking a cup of tea with him

we got the

was a very nice day
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=284422&Main=284422#Post284422

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (25/06/16 04:18 AM)

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
      #284518 - 26/06/16 07:53 AM

Wow! That was wonderful. Thanks for posting.

Eck
.275 member

Reged: 10/09/06
Loc: Burke, VA
Re: Re: Schultz&Larsen Stutzen [Re: cordite]
      #284540 - 26/06/16 10:44 PM

Beautiful pictures, thanks for posting!!

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Re: Schultz&Larsen Stutzen [Re: Eck]
      #288226 - 23/09/16 05:02 AM

Stutzen SN 1010 will be in auction at the Dorotheum in Vienna in october

https://www.dorotheum.com/en/auctions/cu...155cab8cf2e9f22

--------------------

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #288272 - 24/09/16 03:07 AM

Thanks for sharing Lancaster. Was it Jørgen you visited?..Anyway we do have some good huntingland here in Dänemark. Ofcouse you had to bring a S&L rifle..:LOL
Which gunshops did you visit?.
Hope to meet you one day..Deutschland oder Dänemark.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 66148

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com