Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
ricksrifles2843
.224 member

Reged: 20/11/15
Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: lancaster]
      #273747 - 21/11/15 08:42 PM

Hello to all, my name is Rick, and I am a 21-year-old kid living in Fort Worth Texas, aspiring to become a gunsmith! My absolute favorite rifle is the Mosin-Nagant, I just love it! The simplicity of the design and yet, it's elegance. I am very curious, as to how some of these Mosins pictured in this thread, have double set triggers.
Although I am 21, I have found a great appreciation for old-school sporting arms, such as pre-war Mausers, Lee-Speeds, Griffin & Howe sporters, and yes, the Mosin-Nagant. I want to build arms with the grace and detail they had in the good old days. I'm just very interested as to how a double set trigger functions in a Mosin-Nagant! If someone had the ability to upload a picture of the trigger system itself or give a very detailed description as to how it works in this particular rifle, it would be very much appreciated! I may even try to incorporate it in my current build: Converting a Mosin to a classy 45-70!!
Thank you, fellow artisans!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: ricksrifles2843]
      #273754 - 22/11/15 02:05 AM

Rick, I am sure a double set could be made, but it will have to be 100% hand made and will take you some time. The way a Mosin works, the basic principals of the double set triggers from 1920s Mauser sporters could be used I am sure, but the scale will have to change to fit. Also I would recommend setting the rear stretcher and the front trigger fairly close together. Another option would be a single set made in the way CZ does theirs, where you would have to push forward to set.

I am almost finished with this one. I am thinking about the options of carving the stock, or checkering it. (maybe both, with a carved border and checkering inside.
I also am going to engrave it on the sides of the magazine and some coverage on the receiver, but I have to get the time between the "paying projects"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: szihn]
      #273757 - 22/11/15 03:43 AM

Looks like a REALLY nice hunting rifle, Steve.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: DarylS]
      #273762 - 22/11/15 06:25 AM

Thanks Daryl.
I think it will be for someone that likes the classic old style rifles.
It's got a new barrel and stock or course. It shoot VERY well.
I left it in the original 7.62X54R. I can't see anything wrong with the old caliber. It has weights to use between 150 grains up to about 200 grains so it should be fine for open country antelope or moose in the woods, and I made a 2 blade iron sight that is zeroed at 150 and 300 meters.

High quality bullets are available from most makers. I bet you can get 7.62X54R ammo in about any country that firearms are allowed to the people.

I polished the action and with the long bolt handle its easy to work from the shoulder.

For an all-around hunting rifle I think it will serve very well.

Edited by szihn (22/11/15 06:26 AM)

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #275815 - 30/12/15 06:27 PM

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/build-m..._BlogDigest_152

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

FinnCollector
.224 member

Reged: 14/06/12
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
      #275823 - 30/12/15 09:14 PM

What an idiot.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: FinnCollector]
      #275850 - 31/12/15 05:59 AM

Quote:

The rifle you see here that I converted is a hexagonal receiver type that has Century Arms import marks on both the barrel and receiver. It is a nice historical gun, but the collectible value of the gun was sucked out long ago, and it is ripe for converting. Not that the changes I made are not reversible. On this particular gun I had to hammer off the barrel bands, but if I had used one of my guns that had the clip type barrel bands I would be able to return the rifle to standard configuration very easily.

Quote:

What an idiot.

?

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Igorrock]
      #275851 - 31/12/15 06:07 AM

because he butcher a collectible military rifle

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

#275859 - 31/12/15 08:15 AM

In all their military splendor, Mosin Nagents are $189.99 here in PG - look brand new completely packed throughout in cosmoline - appear to have perfect bores on the ones cleaned out.

I have been able to resist buying one, so far.
The mil-spec ammo is quite cheap, but they are even longer than my m76 Winchester, don't hold as many rounds and are not as accurate, either. LOL

--------------------
Daryl

FinnCollector
.224 member

#275866 - 31/12/15 09:43 AM

Because it is a Finnish M91, not very common in the USA. He destroyed the barrel bands and the stock, which are still valuable. The author does not even understand how the safety works!

I would have liked to have had that kiväärin tukki.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #275871 - 31/12/15 11:00 AM

I had one of those Finn 91's years ago. Old Ciro DeGennaro sold them for 90 bucks. Mine was mint.

Look at the bright side; for every gun molested beyond repair, that just increases the value of yours. As for me I don't care a lick anyhow, since I'm not going to retire on Mosin Nagants, or any other milsurp, either.

If I was, tho, I'd be encouraging everybody else to chop and hack theirs to pieces.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

szihn
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: 9.3x57]
      #275877 - 31/12/15 04:46 PM

There are several million M/Ns out there that are in such poor shape and have bores like sewer pipes that I doubt we'll run out of actions to customize anytime soon.

The Mosin Nagant is the most manufactured bolt action in the history of firearms. I have read numbers from 87,000,000 to 108,000,000. That's more then all the Mausers ever made.

Remington has made about 4 millon M-700 so far. So the M-700 is WAY more scarce then a Mosin Nagant. Yet no one thinks a smith is an idiot for customizing a Reminton 700. So if Remington can make a mear 83,000,000 more M700s they will then equal the "scarce" Mosin Nagants
You know............in 500 years they will be rare too.....Oh MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To take a $50-$60 M/N and turn it into a very nice sporter worth several hundred dollars and in some cases over $1000 is a good thing to do, not a bad thing to do.

I'd agree it's best to leave 100% original Military rifles that are in 85% or better condition alone, but those that are in about 15% condition are close to worthless and I doubt they are going to gain much value. Those that worship things might be better off to warship VW Bugs or an 8 track recorders.

Edited by szihn (31/12/15 04:50 PM)

Bokmal
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/09
Loc: SW Finland
      #275880 - 31/12/15 08:24 PM

First, it was his rifle and he was free to do what he pleases with it. We'll have to respect that.

BUT, he is also posing as a wannabe gun expert showing off his knowledge and taste in his blog. I find that "knowledge" severly lacking. He clearly doesn't know what he has, thinks US import marks destroys collecting value, counter threaded screws are too complicated for him to figure out etc etc... He is setting himself up for derision from all but his fellow uneducated noobs.

We are not easily affronted purists here, this whole thread that Lancaster started many years ago is about building rifles based on the ubiquitous Mosin-Nagant action. Like szihn wrote, close to a hundred million where made. But supposing that all Mosins are alike in features and therefore value is either uninformed, or bluntly put, stupid. In this case taking a pre 1988 Remington Custom Gun Shop built 700 and tacticooling it with a hack saw, cheap bolt ons and auto spray paint would be a better comparison.

From the pics in the builders blog we can see that he has a rifle with very early Konovalov rear sight (I'm on my mobile so I can't see 100% if there are markings on the right side, and if there are strike thrus), he has an early 1900 configuration stock with the early russian front bands (threaded the wrong way) and finnish swivels. Last time I helped an US collector find a stock like this it cost 150 € plus freight to the US. The blogger happily destroys this because he could not figure out the barrel band screws! There are only 2 ways the screws can turn, for chrissake!

I can't make out the markings on the barrel shank so that part of this rifles history is unreadable to me otherwise than that it was made pre WWI and come into Finnish hands pre 1928. I would not be surprised if he could have got at least a used Rem 700 by selling this Finnish Mosin to an US collector.

So no, we are not worshipping a defiled M-N rifle, we are (rightfully in my mind) merrily heckling an idiot that poses as an expert.

--------------------
Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad...

FinnCollector
.224 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Bokmal]
      #275882 - 31/12/15 09:49 PM

Exactly, Bokmal! The SA proof is visible on the barrel shank, but that is about all I can see from those photos.

As for 9.3x57 & szihn's comments...would you think about doing the same modifications to a pre-WW1 DWM Mauser?

9.3x57
.450 member

#275884 - 01/01/16 02:03 AM

Quote:

Exactly, Bokmal! The SA proof is visible on the barrel shank, but that is about all I can see from those photos.

As for 9.3x57 & szihn's comments...would you think about doing the same modifications to a pre-WW1 DWM Mauser?

Look, what I do with a rifle is irrelevant to the discussion, but in answer, I don't give a cat's rat about the gun itself if I have a project I want to make of it. Realistically, if I could make an easy sale and get rid of the "Holy Grail" and bring in more than the cost of a gun or project I wanted to fund, I'd do that, but selling some of this "junk" for top dollar is not as easy as some suggest. And the difference between the value of the unmolested and the molested is...who cares? Having said that, yeah, if I saw a neat action on a stock condition Mauser of whatever date of birth and wanted Szihn to make me up a nice neat wholly-transformed mountain rifle, I would ship it to him postehaste!

And I really couldn't care less, I mean, any less, what some other guy does with his. EXCEPT if I was a collector. ESPECIALLY if I was a collector {and once upon a time I was, of M/N's, and had quite a number of them, some rare, some not-so}. Then I would care and more than that, I would keep on hand a fresh stock of brand spanking new hacksaw blades to hand out at every gun show I visited! As I said, if you are a collector, you should rejoice every single time you see some Bubba take an angle grinder to a model you have purchased. Bubba is your best friend!

Milsurp collectors very frequently express a conviction that large numbers of folks on the street are dying to get ahold of their preferred objects of desire, when nothing could be farther from the truth. Most people consider this stuff junk. It is hard to argue with them, overall. To say "So and so" shouldn't have done what he did because he could have gotten X amount for the thing over here in faraway land is, seriously, kind of silly. And getting that big money for those "rare" milsurps even over here at home is not as easy as the collectors seem to think. Most non-collectors have zero contacts in order to make that "killing in the market".

Honestly, I confess, I've been a mutilator of milsurps. But I have gained far more enjoyment over the years cobbling on "rare" milsurps than I ever would have had just "knowing they are sitting there in the gunsafe". But some are collectors and for them, that is great. Tenderly care away! Have at it.

I don't begrudge anybody any chopping and slashing, or preserving. To each his own. To me these issues don't rise to the level of important in any way and I sure wouldn't disparage a guy for chopping any more than I would the guy that wants to keep a pristine collection of them.

I am not going to retire on milsurps. For those that plan to, I suggest you keep them pristine, and encourage others to do just the opposite.

And let's not forget that EVERY SINGLE 27, 28 or 28/30 ever made is "rare" and thus should, buy some people's standards, not be touched whether it is in factory new or talvisota-troubled wrecked condition, as, you see, there are actually those collectors who WANT the battlehardened versions. So to them, even carving up a battered example is sacrilege.

I am pretty opinionated about many things, but when it comes to guns, I really have no opinion as to whether they are preserved or cobbled on. To each his own.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Bokmal
.275 member

#275885 - 01/01/16 02:25 AM

> As I said, if you are a collector, you should rejoice every single time you see some Bubba take an angle grinder to a model you have purchased. Bubba is your best friend!

You are entitled to think like this if it pleases you, but please don't project your money centered way of thinking on all other collectors. I care about the history and potential uniqueness of a rifle much more than their commercial value. I dont begrudge you nor the bloggist your hack and slash instincts, but you'll have to admit his results would have been just as good if he'd started from just a good barreled 89 USD M/91-30

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#275891 - 01/01/16 03:00 AM

- quite an exchange - thanks.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#275894 - 01/01/16 03:26 AM

Quote:

> As I said, if you are a collector, you should rejoice every single time you see some Bubba take an angle grinder to a model you have purchased. Bubba is your best friend!

You are entitled to think like this if it pleases you, but please don't project your money centered way of thinking on all other collectors. I care about the history and potential uniqueness of a rifle much more than their commercial value. I dont begrudge you nor the bloggist your hack and slash instincts, but you'll have to admit his results would have been just as good if he'd started from just a good barreled 89 USD M/91-30

Money-centered? Hardly, and that is my point. Who cares about the monetary "value" of this stuff? I certainly do not.

Anyway, I agree with you almost 100% as to his results with a 91/30...except he may very well have paid 80 bucks for that thing in some areas. Folks just don't care about these old clunks. And he very likely would have had just as much fun using a 91/30 or a prewar hex receiver Finn-marked New England Westinghouse.

But Bokmal...wait a minute...can you possibly be implying that a 1942-built Russky barrel has the potential to match an interwar Finnish 91?

Heresy!!!

Smile. It's all in fun and games.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: DarylS]
      #275895 - 01/01/16 03:43 AM

So, what's the moral judgments of this depat; NEVER EVER bubba any weapon in original shape, is it rare or not.
By the way; I have noticed that Mosin Nagant seems to be, among hobbyist gun builders in USA, a kind of practical joke i.e. the foolest and ugliest custom rifles which I have seen in US rifle pages, are 99% built in Mosin action. That indicates me that there is too many Mosins with too low prices there...?

--------------------

Bokmal
.275 member

#275896 - 01/01/16 03:45 AM

Don't tell anybody or I'll be locked out from the New Years Sauna. But yes, I think the russians as a rule made good to excellent barrels. My PE (admittedly pre-war) and my 1942 PU have excellent Soviet made barrels.

I'm smiling, even if I'm still mostly sober. I'm out on an island in the Baltic, the sauna is warm (the womenfolk are there now). Food is ready and I'm chilling over a beer with a hunting buddy. The dog is chewing on the leg of a Moose calf.

Have an excellent 2016 you all, regardless if you agree with me or are smarter than that &#128521;

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#275898 - 01/01/16 04:29 AM

Quote:

Don't tell anybody or I'll be locked out from the New Years Sauna. But yes, I think the russians as a rule made good to excellent barrels. My PE (admittedly pre-war) and my 1942 PU have excellent Soviet made barrels.

I'm smiling, even if I'm still mostly sober. I'm out on an island in the Baltic, the sauna is warm (the womenfolk are there now). Food is ready and I'm chilling over a beer with a hunting buddy. The dog is chewing on the leg of a Moose calf.

Have an excellent 2016 you all, regardless if you agree with me or are smarter than that &#128521;

Now THAT's THE Spirit!

Igorrock, I think the point Bokmal is making is that when you have access to 78,968,572 plain jane run of the mill meaningless repeats, there is no good reason to chop on one from a total production of something like 17,000. And that makes good sense. Can't fault that reaoning at all. I can see that for sure, but I just can't get upset at some poor slob who has a silk purse and wants desperately to make a sow's ear out of it.

Now, how many very rare Mannlicher 95's have been chopped on to make sporters in Eastern Europe! Let's take this discussion over to lancasters 95 thread and bare our knuckles over there!

I'm just kidding!!!

Godt nytår!!

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #275899 - 01/01/16 05:45 AM

Why that crying about an old, cheap and reasonably frequent Moisin - Nagant milsurp clunker, one of the most homely bolt actions ever designed? If anybody want to sink his money into such a project, well, it's his money. At the same time most of us drool on magnificent custom rifles as made by, f.i. the Dorleacs and many others, even the "Name" British gunmakers. But in each of these masterpieces of the gunmaking art you find an old action that comes either from a butchered milsurp like DWM made 1909s, Swedish M96 or even a true, rare and desirable Oberndorf Commercial Mauser. Noone seems to complain here, though you can not get a K or double flattop Mauser Action without destroying a complete Commercial Mauser rifle.

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: kuduae]
      #275907 - 01/01/16 08:58 AM

Just my thoughts, kuduae.

--------------------

Bokmal
.275 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: kuduae]
      #275915 - 01/01/16 10:52 AM

Quote:

But in each of these masterpieces of the gunmaking art you find an old action that comes either from a butchered milsurp like DWM made 1909s, Swedish M96 or even a true, rare and desirable Oberndorf Commercial Mauser

Kuduae, If I ever see the Dorleacs post about a Oberndorf Commercial based project
- calling it a one of millions made Bodenfund Nazi Mauser
- fitting it with a cheap mail order uncheckered stock
- leaving the original iron sights
- attaching a picture of Corbett, Selous, Shelby or Hemingway to get swag

I solemny swear to endlessly bitch about it in my stiff School German (Lancaster can testify to the grammatical horrors involved)!

--------------------

szihn
.400 member

#275918 - 01/01/16 11:30 AM

To reply to
"As for 9.3x57 & szihn's comments...would you think about doing the same modifications to a pre-WW1 DWM Mauser?"

The answer is YES \If the rifle was in such poor condition that it had lost 90-95 percent of any collectors value before I ever got hold of it.
the Mosin in my post was in very poor condition. If it had been a US Westinghouse or a SIG, I would still have done the same work to it because I made a nice usable rifle that may last a another 100 years from one that was on its way to the trash bin.
I wish I had before an after pics, but I think even the most die-hard collector would agree I did it good if they could have seen what I started with.

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 489707

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com