Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Igorrock]
      #268642 - 28/07/15 04:00 AM

Quote:

Yours stock has good camouflage if you, in some day, will go to India for hunting tigers....

Very nice wood, indeed !

Thanks Igorrock , without help from you and Bokmal my Finnish Mosin projects would never have been completed. Your insight and comments are always appreciated !

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (28/07/15 04:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #268651 - 28/07/15 08:17 AM

Very nice wood.
Really like the the shape of the cheekpiece.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #269261 - 15/08/15 03:42 AM

found the russian website with the pics of the NK 8,2x66SR Mosin hunting rifle
http://www.maksimov.su/in.php?tnum=1&...-8.2/nk-8.2.htm

we have to thank this gentleman for the excellent pics showing this forgotten hunting rifle in every detail

why such a big case and only a muzzle velocity of 440-450 m/sec ... well its blackpowder ballitic. when we remember that russia was a communist dictatorship in 1931 its surprising they sold black powder to hunter for reloading ammo BUT only blackpowder. so the 8,2x66 Semi Rimmed was big as possible for a maximum BP load but fits into the Mosin action and and the rifle cant be shot with russian service cartridges. up to the 1950s only blackpowder was available for the russian hunter but later they got also Nitro shotgun powder.

http://municion.org/

I would say the best basic brass to make this case is 6,5x68R

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (15/08/15 03:54 AM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: lancaster]
      #269262 - 15/08/15 04:02 AM

Very interesting rifle, indeed. It´s funny to notice that they have adopted magazine locking system from Mauser. I would like to make similar magazine to my Mosin.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #269264 - 15/08/15 06:05 AM

Quote:

Very interesting rifle, indeed. It´s funny to notice that they have adopted magazine locking system from Mauser. I would like to make similar magazine to my Mosin.

Yes, that is a very neat job.

Really nice pix, too.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: 9.3x57]
      #269283 - 16/08/15 02:29 AM

A note to all Mosin Nagant lovers
Here is the contact info page for Weaver.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/general/contact_us.aspx

The M.N. is the most manufactured bolt action in the history of the world. In fact the NM is the 2nd most manufactured firearm ever made, second only to the AK47 and it's variants.

That being said, I wonder when Weaver is not making side mounts for them. They do make side mounts for SMLEs, 1917 Enfields, Carcanos, Arisakas, Schults&Larsens, Remington M-10s, Krags, Winchester M-42 Pump 410 Shotguns, Cooley m60s and Springfield 1903, -------------------Come on Weaver! Try thinking logically.

Can they possible be so stupid as to think the cost of manufacturing bases for things like 410 pump shotguns is fine, but there is not enough demand for bases for the Mosin? The mosin has been made in the tens of millions. Some estimate that MN has been made close to 100,000,000 and certainly at least 72 millon have been made.

Use the link and let see if we can bury Weaver in requests for this mount. I have used the Weaver side mounts many times in my 46 years of gunsmithing and they are quite good.
If a lot of folks write to them they probably will start making them.

szihn
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: szihn]
      #269284 - 16/08/15 02:42 AM

Hello to all you Mosin lovers and owners
Here is the link for contacting Weaver.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/general/contact_us.aspx

As you all probably know, the Mosin Nagant is the most manufactured Bolt action in the history of firearms and it’s in 2nd place to only the AK47 and its variants as the most manufactured firearm of all time.
And weaver doesn’t make a side mount for it.
The do make side mounts for the Arasaka, the SMLE, the 1917 Enfield, the Cooley M60, the Springfield 1903, The Krag, the Italian Carcano, The 98 Mauser, the Remington M-10 and even for the Winchester M-42 410 pump shotgun.
They seem to believe all these mounts have a demand, and the fact that they still make them proves they are right.

But they don’t make one for the Mosin Nagant?

The Mosin Nagant has been made in numbers so large that we can’t even know how many have been made. At least 71,000,000 and some estimate as many as 100,000,000. But Weaver thinks there is no demand.
COME ON WEAVER!!!! THINK!!!!

So what I am asking all the readers of this thread to do is to use the link and compose a short note to Weaver asking for a side mount for the Mosin Nagants. Hex and Round receivers both!

They may make them if enough of us ask, and point out how big this boat is that they are missing.

Edited by szihn (16/08/15 02:45 AM)

FinnCollector
.224 member

Reged: 14/06/12
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: szihn]
      #269304 - 16/08/15 01:19 PM

Why not just buy a Rock Solid or replica PE or PU mount?

szihn
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: FinnCollector]
      #269305 - 16/08/15 01:57 PM

The Weaver system requires the base to be installed and after that the rings and scope can be removed leaving the rifle usable with iron sights. The PE and PU do the same thing, but the Weaver also has the advantage of being usable with any 1" diameter scope.
It is a very clean and low profile installation that leaves the rifle "looking right" with either the scope or the irons, and sets the scope in a good position to use without needing a neck like a giraffe. I have modified a few in the last 3 years to work, but it's a bit of a pain, and it sure would be nice if Weaver would just make the base for the Mosin Nagants and save us all the headaches.
The system is very good.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #269429 - 19/08/15 10:50 PM

Quote:

Very nice wood.
Really like the the shape of the cheekpiece.

Was able to obtain a very nice M28-30 barreled action : with one issue . The rifling was excellent but someone had fired a round with snow in the barrel that left a ring bulge inside the barrel about 1-1/2 from the muzzle . Accuracy was unusable . I cut a couple inches off the barrel re milled the end of the barrel for the Finnish M28-30 front sight and silver soldered in place .A quick test firing revealed most excellent accuracy restored actually using an old M39 stock I had as the new stock has not been bedded yet .The original Finnish 2 stage M28/30 trigger is excellent plus ! Will reblue the end of the barrel . Bolt was heliarc welded with a classic Finnish style bolt handle .As this will be used for local Biathlon ski events I may use Finnish M27 sling swivels or something similar .Next will be glass pillar bedding of the stock

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (20/08/15 03:01 AM)

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #269588 - 24/08/15 10:29 PM

Finished bedding the stock on the M28-30 Biathlon rifle.Here it is next to my 1959 Sako Forester 308 w/Ajack scope .As the M28-30 will be used for skiing I will probably use Finnish M27 sling swivels for the rear and mount either M27 type or a small 6.5x54R Vostok style attachment on the left front of the stock .I will probably make a short 17mm rail to fit an extra Sako TRG lever scope mount to it

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #269590 - 24/08/15 11:02 PM

Vortrekker, if you want some ideas for double shoulder slings, here are some; I spend my winters with various rifles on my back, skiing, and have rigged up a number of sling setups that work well. The cheekpiece might give you a little trouble in placement to avoid damage from the sling hardware/sling, so you'll have to be careful in laying that out. I made an adapter that works with a standard front stud, also.

They work, too.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: 9.3x57]
      #269595 - 25/08/15 12:48 AM

You could see from time to time older original biathlon shoulder slings for sale here in Finland so Vortrekker just tell me if you need one.

--------------------

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#269597 - 25/08/15 01:01 AM

9.3x57 ; Nice rig and some nice country ! I have not made up my mind exactly which sling rig I want to use yet ; as this is meant to be a "classic Biathlon rig" I want to keep it as close to something that would have been used in the 1930-1960 era .I do have an old Larsen (single)Biathlon sling .
Igorrock ; Great idea ! I just might take you up on that : Kiitos !

lancaster
.470 member

#271676 - 14/10/15 07:00 AM

was invited to an elk hunt in Finnland last weekend and in some sense my way with the mosin in 9,3x53R was coming to the end on saturday.
I had the special luck that my friend organized it for me that I get the best deerstand beside the main game pass.
this was on a cutting made for a power line , a natural firing line with stands every 100 - 200 meters.
they try to find elks with the dogs and drive it against this line.

group of finnish white tails wish to cross the cutting but were mistrustful

the elk pass

just two hours after the driven startet an cow elk coming directly to my stand. first shot with the 9,3 was maybe a little bit low because the elk only looked surprised. my friend have shoot 87 elks in his hunting career and he thought I had missed but in fact in was impossible to miss the elk on 25 meter and shoot a man on the toilet instead.
anyway the elk change the direction and go across my position. my second shot got a strong reaction and a quick third shoot let it fall where it stand.

it was not realy a challenge for the 9,3 the common hunting rifle there is some kind of Sako or Tikka in 308 Win and this had working similar but this was my first Elk and it ends very well. the work of so many years realy got an ending than.

the dog came just moments after the elk fall and in his mind he was very pleased with his work, no doubt he had the opinion the elk dying because he barks so fine.

maybe 30 minutes after I shoot the elk it was in the butchery of the hunting club because its for the meat that they hunt.

my first bullet was found in the left shoulder again under the skin. I think the bullet was a little bit to low and miss the vital organs this way. the other two shoots were maybe 7-8 cm higher but none the less it shows again how hard the elk can be showing no reaction with a bullet through the chest. probably I take the wrong aiming point when shooting from above first.

my friend told me an interesting story about such a bullet under the skin. when he shoot an elk once another hunter told him he had seen the point where the bullet was found later stretching out maybe 20 cm.
so he assume the mystery of so many bullet find under the skin on the opposite side is the skin just hold the bullet.

in four driven this weekend there it was the only elk shoot and it runs just the way to me

thank saint hubertus

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (14/10/15 07:02 AM)

Bokmal
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/09
Loc: SW Finland
      #271680 - 14/10/15 10:59 AM

Sincere congratulations! A worthy finale to a 5 year long project!

Time to dig out the recipies

--------------------
Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad...

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Bokmal]
      #271710 - 15/10/15 04:48 AM

Waidmannsheil !! By the way, where in Finland you shot this elk ?

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Bokmal]
      #271711 - 15/10/15 04:50 AM

my handload was a close copy of the Sako factory load, original Sako case and softpoint bullet with 51 grains N 140 making 710 m/sec.

like similar twins: Sako factory round over my handload
the bullet found in the left shoulder with an unfired bullet and one of the cases

the bullet from the elk weighs now 208,5 grains of the original 256 grains and thats are a little bit over 81% leftover.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#271712 - 15/10/15 04:56 AM

not far away of you, I think its Ruotsinkylä

but sorry, it was a stiff programme with not time for anything else.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

#271715 - 15/10/15 05:40 AM

Quote:

sorry, it was a stiff programme with not time for anything else.

Yes, I understand very well; my own hunting trips are similar with quite busy timetable...

--------------------

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
      #271732 - 15/10/15 06:04 PM

Lancaster,
this is fantastic news! Waidmannsheil!
fuhrmann

lancaster
.470 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: fuhrmann]
      #271743 - 16/10/15 05:12 AM

Waidmannsdank

I got a pic with bullets found under the skin/opposite side:

"several bullets found in moose =

No. 1 from me 308 win. (7,62 mm.) now 16½ mm. Nosler Patition. 11,6 g./180 gr. from a big bull Moos 5 years old as in the photo. with No. 2 in the background. I shot three bulls here in 3 hours.

No. 2. 6,5x55 Nosler Patition. 10,1 g./156 gr.

No. 3. Norma Oryx, cal. 3006. 11,6 g./180 gr.

No. 4. 6,5x55, Norma Alaska, 10,1 g./ 156 gr.

No. 5 – 6. 5,6 x ? From a deer in Scotland, used by Italian hunter. I had to shoot it done."

its an interesting problem and I wonder if its possible to catch a bullet under "laboratory conditions" with fresh skin( maybe fresh shooting wild boar) behind a soap block

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (16/10/15 05:13 AM)

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#271972 - 23/10/15 03:11 AM

Quote:

You could see from time to time older original biathlon shoulder slings for sale here in Finland so Vortrekker just tell me if you need one.

I am in the process of installing a Tikka/ Anschutz syle rail on the 1937 Sako .Recently finished checkering and installing a checkered steel grip cap on the 1943 Sako .It is in use right now during hunting season
[image]http://[/image]

Igorrock
.400 member

#272189 - 26/10/15 05:30 PM

In my eyes pistol grips checkering looks good with correct layout. But those over runs tells me too that you have to practise some more....

--------------------

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#272197 - 26/10/15 11:22 PM

Quote:

In my eyes pistol grips checkering looks good with correct layout. But those over runs tells me too that you have to practise some more....

Yes Igorrock ,I have since cleaned up the edges !I took these pictures soon after completion. I tried to keep closely to the old Sako pattern .Checkering is always a chore for me =I do not do it very often and I usually have a headache the next day from eye strain from looking so closely at a very long period of time .I would much rather be shooting the rifle in the field ,but checkering is important part of the final product

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 489666

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com