Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Igorrock]
      #253068 - 02/09/14 11:49 AM

Deutsche Voortrekker, that sight base looks awesome. Great idea and excellent execution! That stock is superb, too. Looks like it is under water with the sunlight playing on it!

A question:

Can anyone tell me if a Finn M28/30 or M39 rear sight will fit on an M91/30 rear sight base? I want to use one on a 91/30 sporter as the Finn sight is a better sight picture than the 91/30. I'm thinking the sight is a smidge too wide. ????

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: 9.3x57]
      #253069 - 02/09/14 01:07 PM

Quote:

Deutsche Voortrekker, that sight base looks awesome. Great idea and excellent execution! That stock is superb, too. Looks like it is under water with the sunlight playing on it!

A question:

Can anyone tell me if a Finn M28/30 or M39 rear sight will fit on an M91/30 rear sight base? I want to use one on a 91/30 sporter as the Finn sight is a better sight picture than the 91/30. I'm thinking the sight is a smidge too wide. ????

Thank you ! I do not think it will fit as the bases seem different but did you consider putting on Sako Forester/ L46 Riihimaki sights as I did .You see them on ebay quite often and they would be the correct sights for a Finnish Mosin sporter build.

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (02/09/14 01:09 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #253070 - 02/09/14 01:44 PM

The easiest way to adjust sight picture is make a new plate for rear sight, attach it to the place with two small screws and then cut the groove as you like. So you don´t need to take old base away.

By the way, these not-so-good original 91/30 -sights are one main reason for developing our own finnish Mosin models.

Quote:

but did you consider putting on Sako Forester/ L46 Riihimaki sights as I did .You see them on ebay quite often and they would be the correct sights for a Finnish Mosin sporter build.

Other option is just use one steady leaf "island" rear sight, similar which you could find in older Husqvarna´s. SAKO used to have such before they built up their, IMO not so nice looking, ramp model.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#253126 - 04/09/14 02:04 AM

Quote:

Looks good !

Igorrock you were so right about the prior scope mount...I am so glad I took your advice and changed it.Thanks for the helpful criticism !

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (04/09/14 02:05 AM)

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #253144 - 04/09/14 07:40 AM

Quote:

WOW! that's a beautiful rifle. What is the barrel length? Im in the VERY early stages of a couple projects, that I hope will turn out as nice as yours. At this point Im thinking a 20inch full stock and a 24inch half stock with an octagonal barrel.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #253148 - 04/09/14 08:40 AM

Thanks for the kind words :I could not have even come close to getting this Mannerheim Sako right without lots of help from my Finnish friends Bokmal and Igorrock.The barrel length is 600 mm (23-5/8")which is the length of my other Riihimaki sporters.Good luck on your project : rest assured you will get lots of help (and opinions) on this forum!

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (04/09/14 11:22 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#254658 - 06/10/14 01:10 AM

A pic from a recent trip to the range. Ten shots fired all from standing offhand, no rest; 5 at 100 meters and 5 from 75 meters. Rifle is a stock condition M91/30 Hex receiver {early version}. Trigger is the loooong "singlestage" Russian affair. Ammunition is Prvi Partizan 150 grain Soft Point.

I am still working the M39 Finn double-pull on my M/N 91/30 sporter down to remove last stage creep. It is getting there but not quite yet done.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #254660 - 06/10/14 01:19 AM

anything you want

looks like indian summer have everything under control in your area. I hope you have the short pants in november also...

two old hunting pics from russia

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=81980&start=120
think 1920s to 1930s

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (06/10/14 01:20 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: lancaster]
      #254665 - 06/10/14 02:01 AM

lanc: Interesting!

That rifle magazine doesn't quite look Mosin.

We are now at 20's for the morning temps {Fahrenheit} but still short pants in the afternoon! LOL.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

#254677 - 06/10/14 05:08 AM

Quote:

That rifle magazine doesn't quite look Mosin.

Maybe Mosin which has converted as a shotgun....?

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#254681 - 06/10/14 07:27 AM

Could be.

There appears to be some sort of modification to the stock ahead of the magazine, too. Or is it some sort of weird "Mauser" magazine modification? Never heard of such a thing and it would seem to be much work for more or less nothing. Who knows. Many Mausers were converted to shotgun so maybe your hunch is right.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

#254699 - 06/10/14 03:25 PM

In Sovjetic times most russian hunters used shotgun because the ownership of rifle was very restricted.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#254723 - 07/10/14 01:54 AM

Yes.

I have read that in rural areas shotguns were fairly easily obtained.

A surprising {to me at least} number of rifles and even semiautos were available for professional hunting purposes. Shilin describes an AK model in semiauto that was issued to professional antelope hunters in Kazahkstan. I've seen pix of hunters with SKS rifles as well so at least some were able toobtain these types of guns.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#254794 - 08/10/14 04:18 AM

what I have learned ofver the years was that the common hunter only get a shotgun for years but he had to join a local hunting club. surprisingly shotgun cartridge handloading was common over the decades but before WW 2 only with blackpowder, after the war blackpowder and smokless powder. I have see such a smokless powder can with reloading data for 12 and 16 ga. the powder was the same the russians load in 7,62x54R blanks, NO DOUBT.
I have some russian brass shotgun cases in 12, 16 and 20 ga.( they made 24, 28 and 32 brass cases too) and some of them have the typical traces of blackpowder loads fired.
something that puzzle me is the 8,2x66 SR hunting cartridge from the 1930s with its low velocity and lead bullet. I would not wonder if this round was loaded by hand with blackpowder.

btw, the russians were not different from other people and hide all kinds of illegals guns

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (09/10/14 02:19 AM)

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#256402 - 08/11/14 08:52 AM

1943 Sako Riihimaki 7.62x53R with a German Nickel 4x36 in original Sako rings .This project is about complete and my next will be a 9.3x53R

Bokmal
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/09
Loc: SW Finland
      #256420 - 08/11/14 09:05 PM

Congratulations, a real beauty!

--------------------
Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad...

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Bokmal]
      #256617 - 12/11/14 07:32 AM

A small off-topic but I found this from other forum where one russian guy wrote as follows:

"In modern literature often uses the term "Mosin-Nagant". This is a mistake. There is a separate rifle Mosin, and in a few exemplairs - Nagant rifle. It participated in the tender for the Russian army in 1891. The main reason that the Nagant did not win, was in the complexity of the bolt: it uses two screws. The article (she unfortunately in Russian) there are many images of both rifles, as well as early versions of the Mosin rifles"

http://coollib.net/b/260854/read

"The fact of the matter is that Nagant rifles were produced only 300 pieces. They can be seen in the Artillery Museum in St. Petersburg, and I don't know whether they are somewhere else. Perhaps in European collections you can find prototypes that participated in the Belgian tender in 1889. Then Nagant lost to Mauser.
From very beginning Mosin rifle named as "Mosin rifle", here French scheme 1912 (some rifles produced in France)"

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #256618 - 12/11/14 09:49 AM

Afaik just half correct: The Mosin-Nagant is named such as it is a combination of Nagant's magazine and feed system with the improved bolt by the Russian Mosin. Of course, Russian national pride ascribes the design to Mosin only, as usual.

Bokmal
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/09
Loc: SW Finland
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: kuduae]
      #257191 - 25/11/14 05:57 PM

David Bolotins eminent book, Soviet Small Arms and Ammunition (Finnish Arms Museum Foundation 1995), illustrates this national bias in an amusing way. The author devotes several pages to a chapter named "The Mosin-Nagant rifle" without mentioning León Nagant even once...

--------------------
Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad...

lancaster
.470 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Bokmal]
      #258491 - 03/01/15 05:43 AM

because there was allwas a more or less unvisible connection between swiss and finnisch guns
a Swiss M 1889 sporterised and in 9,3x53 Swiss
given away for 63 euro in the last Dorotheum auction in Vienna http://www.dorotheum.com/auktion-detail/...r.html?offset=2

its not common to see rifles in 9,3x53 for sale

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (03/01/15 05:58 AM)

Cashman
.224 member

Reged: 21/01/12
      #258855 - 09/01/15 09:22 PM

Quote:

1943 Sako Riihimaki 7.62x53R with a German Nickel 4x36 in original Sako rings .This project is about complete and my next will be a 9.3x53R

I find your project to be one of the most beautiful Mosin-Nagants I've ever seen on the web.
Can I buy it?
All joking aside… There might be a market for your Sako-Mosin-Nagant scope mount.
Atleast I would like to buy one.

My everyday moose hunting Mosin is the .45x54R I made a few yars ago.
The seccond most common rifle of mine is the 8,2x53R made by a gunsmith at Sako.

Only if the weather gets really bad, will I grab my composite stainless "something else than a Mosin-Nagant, thus not worth to be mentioned" rifle when I go hunting.

The most interesting Mosin-Nagant I ever saw is one chambered in .45 ACP.
It loads from a 1911 pistol magazine...
Just to remind you guys that there is no limit to what you can make out of a Mosin-Nagant.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Cashman]
      #260064 - 07/02/15 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I find your project to be one of the most beautiful Mosin-Nagants I've ever seen on the web.
Can I buy it?
All joking aside… There might be a market for your Sako-Mosin-Nagant scope mount.
Atleast I would like to buy one.

My everyday moose hunting Mosin is the .45x54R I made a few yars ago.
The seccond most common rifle of mine is the 8,2x53R made by a gunsmith at Sako.

Only if the weather gets really bad, will I grab my composite stainless "something else than a Mosin-Nagant, thus not worth to be mentioned" rifle when I go hunting.

The most interesting Mosin-Nagant I ever saw is one chambered in .45 ACP.
It loads from a 1911 pistol magazine...
Just to remind you guys that there is no limit to what you can make out of a Mosin-Nagant.

Thanks very much for your kind words . Although I did all the work on this project it would have been quite impossible without this forum and especially the help from Bokmal and Igorrock who not only helped me with knowledge and parts but in help with the Finnish culture and mindset that I want to make sure my ancestors did not leave behind in Finland . I am in process of restoration of a Sako Forester first year production 308 that also has a quite nice Arctic Birch stock also but this will be another thread . As for the scope mount it works quite well with the original Sako rings ; Thank Igorrock for his insight which pushed me into making this proper mount for a Finnish Mosin Nagant .

9.3x57
.450 member

#260094 - 07/02/15 05:41 PM

Awesome rifle.

Looks like it is under water with the light shimmering on the stock.

Amazing.

We have a few cobbled-on M/N's and have a lot of fun with them.

They are by comparison completely unrelated rifles to yours!!! LOL.

Very nice work, Voortrekker!

--------------------

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#268632 - 27/07/15 10:54 PM

Shaped and sanded wet unfinished Arctic Birch stock for my next project : A Finnish Mosin "Hochsitz" rifle built on an unaltered M28/30 Sako barreled action I obtained with a broken stock . I will keep original sights and add my custom scope mount that uses vintage Sako rings that I used on the Mannerheim Sako .A Finnish M28/76 bolt handle will be used for the rifle .I will finish the stock with my Pine tar / tung oil mixture allowed to soak in the mountain summer sun

Igorrock
.400 member

#268633 - 27/07/15 11:26 PM

Yours stock has good camouflage if you, in some day, will go to India for hunting tigers....

Very nice wood, indeed !

--------------------

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 489727

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com