Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Taking the Krag to the range....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
vegard_dino
.333 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: From Norway, but living in Swi...
Taking the Krag to the range....
      #247837 - 24/05/14 10:35 PM

Hi all.

These has taken me some time, but I have not been on the range with the old Krag.
(Look at old post for photos. )
I have keept it all original, only thing I have done is to wipe out the barrel, clean the action and thats it. Was thinking of doing more restoration on it, but as some told me here, keep it as it is. And I am glad I did just that.

So, the shooting...

I got in contact with a old friend, telling me about the KRAG club of 94..Interesting.
I made some calls, did find out who the leader of club was and made a call to him. ( Yes, the club do NOT have any e-mail, Facebook or so....)
After a long and interesting talk, I was invited to join them on the range the following week. I will give it a try I sad to myself.
Before I made the trip to the range, I had a goal of only test fiering the old gun. Had a dream at one stage to take it out hunting, but not sure how the gun was going to shot, I had that dream more or less forgotten.....Just to try the old gun and find out if I was able to hit the paper was my goal now.

The club leader told me that only original rifles, military, where allowed, had to be pre 1945. Part from Krag, Mauser, Lee-Enfield, M03 Springfield and others, only iron sights allowed. No peep sights!! Shooting is done with iron sights, thats how men shoot he sad.

Next week, I was at the club....Had to admit I was a bit worried. I walked in, only to find out I was the youngest of the 14 men there, oldest was 84!! Only two under the age of 65. " If you join us, you will be the only one under 65 next year" I was told.
Walked over to the range, some of them had done a round, all shots being fired at 100 meters. When the results did come up, my jaw was dropping.....Oh my....The lowest score was 31 points, highest 42( three 8`s and two 9`s.) In my book that is good shooting.
Now everyone turned to me, the new guy....Looking at the rifle, sights, mumbling a bit.....On of them ending up saying, " Oh she is good for another 100 years, in good shape she is" With a smile. I was happy. They all talked about the Krag, sharing what they did know. Explaining how to adjust the front sigh and so one. What a evening!
"Hi, you, come here, time you start shooting", one of them told me and I will help you he told me. 100 meters, 3 shot.
3 shots later, I had 3 misses...not even hitting the large paper....Oh no, embarrassing. It really was. (Not even hitting the paper...)
Oh no, not to worry they told me, just have to shoot more. Now I did aim just in the middle of the paper, 3 shoots....3 more misses. But, one shot hitting very low, just barley touching the paper. " Let me have a look", on of them sad, adjusting the rear sight up to 500 meters. 3 shots later, I was still hitting low, hitting 25cm to low and way way to the left.
Now the same gentleman did adjust the front sight, "3 more", he sad. Ok, here we go.
Now I was hitting only 50mm, about 2", to the right. Still low. Amazing I sad. How did you know how much to adjust the front sight I asked..." By feeling" was the reply. With a smile on the face.
Now the rear sight was put up to 800 meters, 3 more shots. Oh what???? I had all three shoots 100mm high and a bit to the right. No MOA, but still all three was all within a circle of 70mm!!!
Now I had a big SMILE!

By now the shooting was over, time for coffee and cake in the club house.
Sipping my coffee, I was not able to stop smiling. What a evening, what a club, what a lucky man I am. To meet these men, yes they are not young, but they sure know a thing or two about shooting. And, they what to share.
I did end up signing up for membership and ensuring them I will for sure be back!
2 weeks from now, shooting contest! Just have to do some small adjusting to the sights and some more rounds.....Not going to be close on the list, but I will have fun. Fun and a great time.
Now, thinking about it, that what is is all about. Enjoying things, not just rushing to the range and back home to update Facebook......These for sure do enjoy.

Driving back home, my was not able to stop thinking about my Grandfather and how he did care for these rifle. Always in the cabinet with the original muzzle protector on. It had a special place in his heart.
"Thank you"

Sadly I did not had my camera with me. But, next time I will! I will wright some more about the shooting, how it goes and take some photos.
About the hunting, oh yes, I will do so. To honer my Grandfather and to challenge myself.
But, these old rifles are not bad at all. Just have to know your limits.

Thank you all for looking. Have a good weekend.

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... [Re: vegard_dino]
      #247843 - 25/05/14 01:16 AM

Bravo, Vegard_dino, that is good.

70mm is only about 2 3/4". The average group size the average person can shoot with open sights, off a bench, at 100 meters is 4", which is around 110mm.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... [Re: DarylS]
      #247874 - 25/05/14 05:46 PM

Thank you Daryl.

It was a great day. Will post more information and photos when I get it.

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... [Re: vegard_dino]
      #247891 - 26/05/14 01:15 AM

You are most welcome Vegard_dino - I meant to add that in a high-powered scope, sub minute of angle world, it is refreshing to see someone grasping the 'old' technology of open sights and actually not only making them work, but posting those results. I have not seen 70mm groups posted with pride for some time.

Such accuracy would be very good for most rifles with open sights, let alone very old equipment and ammo not specifically designed for making small groups.

Yes - many of us have 'old' rifles that shoot as well or better, some can do it with M96 and/or 98 Mausers - but - do we have old Krags that will still do it?

The obsolete action design, single lug, weird stock with massive cutout for the action do not lend themselves to the accuracy of solid, beefy-in-comparison stocks with much stiffer twin or triple locking lug Mauser Actions - I acknowledge very good accuracy with that 'old' rifle.

Again, - well done.

--------------------
Daryl

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... [Re: DarylS]
      #247897 - 26/05/14 03:24 AM

I like this, a very happy story! /Staffan

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... [Re: Sville]
      #248175 - 30/05/14 12:58 PM

It was good to read that you signed up to become a member. Enjoy your time with your new friends and thank you for sharing your experience.

Mark

PS - Good shooting!

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Taking the Krag to the range....PHOTOS +added! [Re: Buchsemann]
      #253397 - 10/09/14 04:46 AM

Hello and thank you all for the kind words.
Yes, I am glad I did sign up for membership. We do have a LOT of fun at the range.

Here you se a "group" of 8 shoots at 100m. I fired 2 rounds with 4 shots from a sitting position. Why 4 shots? Well, the feeding on my Krag is not so good on the 5 shot, maybe the spring is a bit weak, so the last round is not "pushed", feed properly. Takes a bit of work, opening and closing the magazine lid is the trick. These is a weak point, if one can say so on a rifle these old, other members also have the same problem. Have it fixed? " No, do not even try that young man", I was told. So, then I leave it as it is.

Las weekend we had a day with vintage day, dressing up old style and have a go at the range. I had a old knitted swather and a old hung backpack, all from my grandfather. It was a really a special day for me, using his rifle and some of his gear, what a day.
Some of the members have had the military uniform from 1905 made to them, really nice.
The targets we did shoot at was a 1/8 of a soldier,(upper chest and head only) old Norwegian military target that is no longer in use, and two targets that are called bunker, to simulate shooting at a window in a bunker, size on the targets are 13*40 cm on the large window and 10*30 cm on the last window. 6 shots at each target, 100m range. What a day.

One of the members have a weak right right, so he has to aim with his left eye. I did take a photo of the sights, all made by a local gunsmith. Interesting and just show that we all can use open sights. By the way, the gentleman is well past his 80`s!
I am NOT posting these photos to brag, only to share the fun I have.

All I can say to you all is, join or start a club like these and you will have a so much fun

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. [Re: vegard_dino]
      #253405 - 10/09/14 04:24 PM

Yes, made it with the photos.
Computer work is not my strong side......

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #253408 - 10/09/14 06:24 PM

Well done!

Never seen sights like that, care to explain them to broaden my knowledge?

--------------------

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. [Re: Ash]
      #253409 - 10/09/14 07:53 PM

Thank you.

Well, I have never seen them before, so I will try my best.

The sights are "normal" open sights, just mounted on the side of the rifle, adjustable up/down and left/right.
These had to be done, so the owner was able to use open sights. His right eye is now, do to with age, to weak to use the original open sights on the Krag. But, now using his stronger left eye, he is able to join us at the range. It looks odd, but it works just fine.

Hope I was able to explain it a bit. I will talk more with the owner and find out more, maybe some more photos to.

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #253410 - 10/09/14 09:24 PM

Explained it plenty! Thanks! I recall you mentioned something to do with eye dominance in your first post, it must have just slipped my memory. Thanks for clarity

--------------------

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. [Re: Ash]
      #253411 - 10/09/14 09:29 PM

Oh, glad you did understand it

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #253413 - 10/09/14 11:50 PM

This kind of open sights will work when shooting long ranges enough but classic and IMO better way to solve this kind of problem is a bend butt stock. It doesn´t look so nice but with that you could use original sights:

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

greenshoots
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: uk
Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. [Re: Igorrock]
      #253417 - 11/09/14 01:22 AM

strange sights im left eye dominant just shoot off my left shoulder, works ok on lever actions and single shots not so good with bolt actions

greenshoots

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. [Re: Igorrock]
      #253482 - 12/09/14 02:50 PM

Quote:

This kind of open sights will work when shooting long ranges enough but classic and IMO better way to solve this kind of problem is a bend butt stock. It doesn´t look so nice but with that you could use original sights:

In a heavy recoiling gun damn I think that would hurt to use.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. [Re: NitroX]
      #253503 - 13/09/14 12:20 AM

It would surely twist you around, pointing left.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5912

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com