Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WSSM

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
WSSM
      #24235 - 16/01/05 05:58 AM

I was at a local gun dealer this week and he said rifles chambered in the WSSM's were burning out barrels and had been recalled. The rifles now have chrome lined barrels. This is probably old news but the first I have heard of it.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: WSSM [Re: AdamTayler]
      #24236 - 16/01/05 06:39 AM

while this might be true I'd wait a while and see if there's more to it than rumor.......The only place that bullshit abounds larger than a gunshop is the internet and that's where much of it gets to the gunshop.

Sadly anyone with a keyboard today is an expert and we're forced to believe in our own personal experiences more than ever.

Eventually we come to believe there are some sources that research things prior to posting but so far I'm not sure if there's many I believe yet.

--------------------

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: WSSM [Re: vapodog]
      #24282 - 16/01/05 05:40 PM

vapodog

I'm not trying to spread rumors, just passing on what the owner of the gun shop told me. Why he would lie, I do not know, and he did not have anything bad to say about the manufacturers. Like you said, time will tell. As for me, I'm far from an expert. However I did search the net looking for recall notices about the above topic and have come up empty though I did find some other interesting things. I recommend people to do the same search to see if there are any recalls on firearms that they bought used. And nothing beats personal experience.

Adam

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

**DONOTDELETE**

#24286 - 16/01/05 07:01 PM

A mate of mine just got a Coyote in 223 WSSM. He did not bother shooting it with the factory barrel but had a match grade of Ren Varmint contour put on as well as a Jewell trigger. I have just bedded the rifle for him.

The quality of the rifle is poor. The barrel is crooked enough in the receiver than it can be easily seen with the ey so we bedded the scope at an angle in the rings so the rifle could be bore sighted.

Also interesting is that the barrel thread has being increased from the M70 standard of 1". A Canadian gunsmith on AR, Bill Leeper, mentioned sometime ago about the small barrel shank and the WSMs and some trouble he was seeing.

The rifle feeds fine, no trouble with the short fat little cases. They are about the case capacity as a 243, just a tad bigger.

Obviouly with full loads barrel life will ot be long becaus you basically have a 22/243 or 22/6mm Rem.

Mike

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #24288 - 16/01/05 07:12 PM

Adam,
There was a write up about the 223 WSSM or 243 WSSM or maybe it was a prototype 243 WSM that burned out throats in few rounds in a gun rag about a year ago or little longer. The more I think about it, I think it was a prototype 243 WSM, but can't be certain.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: WSSM [Re: DPhillips]
      #24300 - 16/01/05 10:54 PM

As has been said before (and above), anyone with a keyboard is now an expert.
The problem is we only ever hear half the story.

I can burn out a barrel on ANY gun at ANY time within probably 100 - 200 rounds
at most.

We all know how to do it. Max loads, fire rounds fast, get the barrel really hot and then
keep shooting using gloves etc etc. The barrel burns out.

All we ever hear is that XXX Calibre in XXX Manufacturer's gun burns out barrels, we don't
hear of the dick head and how he did it.

The above does NOT mean that WSSM's are good, bad or indifferent when it comes to barrel
wear, just trying to put another perspective on it.

I work in the firearms industry and I see myths perpetuated all of the time by supposed experts.

500 Nitro

vapodog
.300 member

Re: WSSM [Re: 500Nitro]
      #24305 - 17/01/05 02:01 AM

I'll quote Layne Simpson as best I remember:
I have a .220 Swift in a 40 X that shoots little tiny groups. It's now got over 5,000 rounds through it and I've loaded them hot and the gun still shoots 1/2 MOA. As long as I keep the barrel clean and don't shoot the gun HOT it keeps on shooting. Barrel burner????? I don't think so......something to that effect printed in Nosler's reloading book.

Probably no other gun has the reputation as a barrel burner as the .220 Swift.....and it was all from a small contingency of folks that couldn't be satisfied with the factory performance.......They insisted on loading it to 70,000 psi (unwittingly). I truly suspect more of them died of copper fowling than barrel burnout.....I have personally seem some of these so-called "gun experts" look at the muzzle end of the barrel for burnout.

I've always wondered how the .264 Win Mag got such a reputation as a "barrel burner" and the .257 Weatherby escaped that label.....essentially they're the same cartridge.

If I wanted a WSSM today, I'd get one without giving the issue a thought. Frankly I see nothing in it over my .22-250 but that's me.....

If we chose to talk about buying a stainless steel Sako today, it'd be a little different story!!!!!

--------------------

**DONOTDELETE**

#24317 - 17/01/05 05:41 AM

If we chose to talk about buying a stainless steel Sako today, it'd be a little different story!!!!!

The big worry with those Sakos is the way the actions split.

There have been some some full length barrel splits on some fluted stainless barrels from a couple of our barrel makers in Australia but no problem with the actions.

Mike

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: WSSM [Re: Mike375]
      #24319 - 17/01/05 07:10 AM

Mike,

The big worry with those Sakos is the way the actions split.

There have been some some full length barrel splits on some fluted stainless barrels from a couple of
our barrel makers in Australia but no problem with the actions.

Mike

Can you please explain further. By PM or email if you don't want to post.

500 Nitro

500Nitro
.450 member

#24320 - 17/01/05 07:13 AM

vapodog,

Exactly and good calibre examples.

Well said.

500 Nitro

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: WSSM [Re: 500Nitro]
      #24324 - 17/01/05 08:10 AM

500 Nitro

Tober has had a couple let go, full length and these were on 308 full bore target barrels and the steel was established as the culprit.

MAB had quite a few let go and again on range rifles. In fact MAB barrels were barred from the ranges. In the MAB case there appears to have been some manufacturing contributing factors as well as steel and a whole batch of barrels have been recalled.

Of course there may have been some that were not range rifles but not being groups of people it might not have been known.

There is no secret about it so I was quite happy to post.

It may well have been range rilfes because they make so many of them and perhaps used one batch of steel for the lot. They are also typically undersize at .3065 because that his how the 144 grain boat tail shoots best.

But actions did not split in half as in the Sakos. The ast Sako to be shown has had the action full split in two from one end to the other, in other words, it is two separate pieces.

An interesting sideline is that from what I understand the recalls of the Sakos and Tikkas in Australia will require Permits to Aquire for the new rifles and Berettas handling of it in Ausralia seems to be as bad as in America.

Mike

vapodog
.300 member

#24331 - 17/01/05 09:12 AM

Gentlemen, this is AdamTaylor's thread in barrels and the WSSM and I didn't mean to hijack it to the Sako safety issue.....I merely used it to explain that there things that are reasonably documented and with sufficient evidence (the Sako issues) and there are things that take the "rumor" attitude.

My point is that if it's truly an issue there will be totally different discussions accompanied with hard evidence and that just isn't the case so far with the WSSMs and burned barrels.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3261

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com