Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Left handed bolt gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Left handed bolt gun
      #239764 - 25/12/13 11:34 PM

After two years of treatment for a condition in my right eye which all but precludes my shooting with it, I am ready to bite the bullet and try out shooting from my left shoulder. I have various single shots and double rifles and drillings which, aside from the stocks, are suitable for left hand use, but I am an old bolt gun shooter and I want something I can be comfortable with.

I have read the pros and cons of the various factory LH rifles, including the Remington, the Savage, the Ruger and the Tikka, but they all have features which don't appeal to me. I am looking for the equivalent of a controlled round feed Model 70 Winchester in a caliber of the .308 family, .308, .260 Remington, 7mm-08 or as a last resort .243.

The Ruger comes closest to filling my specifications, but from years of experience with Ruger single shots I feel as though finding a Ruger with a barrel which will really shoot is about a 50-50 gamble, and I would prefer to avoid that if possible. Evidently Winchester made up some LH Model 70's at some point, but none in calibers I am interested in.

I would appreciate any comments based on first hand personal experience.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JFE
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Vic, Australia
Re: Left handed bolt gun [Re: xausa]
      #239832 - 28/12/13 08:28 PM

In terms of LH CRF actions your options are much more limited but there are options. You can find LH versions of Ruger, Win M70(old stock), Zastava, Montana and from there more expensive options like Dakota and then custom actions like GMA.

The Ruger is fairly easy to find and they produce a lot of options for lefties. As far as I am aware Winchester only produced a short action M70 in their WSM calibres. The Zastava rifles are marketed as a budget rifle and they are 98 clone - it is a std length action (06 length), which is blocked for the 308 family. The Montana action (US made M70 clone) is available in a couple of action sizes (incl 308 length) and in SS or CrMo versions. Depending on your taste and budget one of these either in factory trim or rebarrelled should fit the bill. If you have deeper pockets check out the lefties made by Dakota.

HTH

BB416
.275 member

Reged: 01/10/13
Loc: QLD Australia
Re: Left handed bolt gun [Re: JFE]
      #239849 - 29/12/13 11:17 AM

Unfortunately I am in the same boat as yourself xausa. I had a rifle explode on me when I was ten years old, doing irreparable damage to my right eye , forcing me to become a lefty. I have persevered with right handed rifles for almost 40 years and have shot most of them reasonably well. There hasn't been a lot of choice for left handers as I am sure you are aware but things are getting better as most companies are offering LH models although as you stated in limited variety of both calibre and options. Sako also offer LH rifles but are limited to long action ( 06 length ). These rifles are well finished and shoot really well. I have a LH Zastava in 404 Jeffery and although the stock timber is a beautiful piece of wood and the wood to metal fit is really good as well the rest leaves a lot to be desired. I also have a LH 416 Ruger which shoots really well and am thinking of purchasing another LH Ruger in 30/06. For value for money you can't go past a Ruger. I have been a Remington fan for years, but finding a LH one hear in AUS can be rather difficult

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Left handed bolt gun [Re: BB416]
      #239857 - 29/12/13 01:58 PM

XAUSA, if I can but a bit alleviate concerns on "accuracy" of the Rugers.

There LH rifles are all on there newest Mark II version to which they had also invested in a far better, in-house, barrel making program as apposed to the open market for supply. They handful I have worked with where all s accurate as would be expected. All light rifles where easily 1moa capable with the .22 and .24 varmint rifles are able to produce better. I tuned and loaded for a customers LH stainless laminate 416 that shot a ragged hole for 3 with full power 400's.

The are available in .223 to .416 in various models, so one would think a reasonable battery could be assembled. 3-4 of them could be procured if a decent classic right hand rifle was to be sacrificed.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Left handed bolt gun [Re: xausa]
      #239858 - 29/12/13 10:27 PM

SAKO makes a nice LH rifle with decent wood for about $2000 in 30-06.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Left handed bolt gun [Re: bonanza]
      #239865 - 30/12/13 03:42 AM

If I were in that situation I would go with the Ruger. If in the unlikely event you get one that’s not very accurate they are easy and not super expensive to re-barrel with an aftermarket barrel. The old barrel can be sold to off set the cost of the new one.
All in all I have been impressed with Ruger M-77s. They have shown me good solid value for the money, and the ones made today seem to have much better barrels than they had in years past.

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Left handed bolt gun [Re: szihn]
      #239874 - 30/12/13 11:54 AM

Majority of Left Hand rifles are push feed, which is ok but I prefer CRF, I have a Winchester M70 "Safari Express" 375H&H and a Winchester M70 in 30/06, but to get a .308Win length rifle in CRF is very hard, I think you have 3 options

I would go with Granite Mountain Arms action and custom make what you want.

Find a Lefty Winchester 30/06...270 and make do with the long action and calibre.

Get a push Feed, quite a few makers.

Cheers
Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Edited by RLI (30/12/13 11:57 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3503

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com