Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Igorrock]
      #237981 - 19/11/13 05:03 AM

Quote:

These Mosins are for sale here in Finlad, price 85€/piece. All made by SAKO:

http://www.tori.fi/lappi/Sakon_kivaareita_7390264.htm?ca=14&w=3

7x53R

8,2x53R

9,3x53R

Well I am on my way to building my Sako/ Mannerheim Mosin Nagant sporter . I have just got my stock blank in Arctic Flame birch . Need some help with the barrel length on these Sako sporters though and in particular Mannerheims 1943 Sako hunting rifle . Any help will be greatly appreciated ! Will be posting pictures of my progress

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #237982 - 19/11/13 07:49 AM

After WWII SAKO made civilized Mosins with 600 mm barrel. Those rifles caliber were 6,3x53R, 7x53R, 8,2x53R and finally 9,3x53R. NOT 7,62x53R which was allowed military purposes only. Those rifles used to have special rear sight with drum calibration. Nowadays this kind of sight is very uncommon, I have seen it only twice.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#237985 - 19/11/13 10:20 AM

Thank you for this information Igorrock . I had aquired a pristine bore Sako M39 that someone had shortened the barrel to 24" and placed in a synthetic stock . I was worried that it was too short but now I am relieved . I will keep the rifle in the original 7.62x53r due to availability of ammunition . Our friend Bokmal sent me a picture of that rare drum sight : my sights will be from the Sako forester so close . I am reshaping the stock now to the correct proportions as the stockmaker had only a monte Carlo design inletted for the mosin . So I have a bit of whittling to do .

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #238705 - 05/12/13 05:38 AM

Mosin sporting rifle build by Buss/Poland and proofed in Suhl 2/94
530mm long barel and Kahles Helia Super on claw mount 7,62x53R/7,62x54R
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4696948#img

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

headoftheholler
.275 member

Reged: 02/12/13
Loc: United States
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: lancaster]
      #238712 - 05/12/13 06:50 AM

I built a Mosin sporter per my customers specs a few years ago, not nearly as nice as some here but it managed to shoot very well and the customer was very pleased. Tikka M91 barrel shortened to 20" reblued, recrowned, RSI mount and action screws, Boyds stock, Weaver 4X steel tube. I think I charged 700 for it.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#238726 - 05/12/13 10:48 AM

The 1943 Sako Mannerheim hunting rifle project is in full progress.Just finished the rough outline of my special order Arctic Birch stock .The only Mosin blank my stock duplicator had was a Monte Carlo type so I had to do much shaping to get it like this! As it was very light in color I dunked in some water to show the grain .Needless to say I am pleased .I have a close outline but much more work to be done. Have the Sako buttplate ,Sako extractor and Sako cocking piece. Was able to obtain an original Sako front sight .I have a partial rear sight here but my friend Bokmal has procured a complete rear sight in Finland for me that should arrive shortly. My M39 Sako doner rifle has a mint bore. Sling swivels and barrel band will arrive shortly .Bolt handle is being welded ; Lots of work to do!

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (05/12/13 10:50 AM)

Igorrock
.400 member

#238732 - 05/12/13 03:38 PM

Yours stock wood has so big colour differences that it´s difficult to notice it as beeing made from Arctic birch. Here in finland this wood is normaly much lighter coloured.

--------------------

Bokmal
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/09
Loc: SW Finland
      #238735 - 05/12/13 05:20 PM

Quote:

As it was very light in color I dunked in some water to show the grain .Needless to say I am pleased.

That sure looks like a Grade Extra Fancy piece of Arctic Birch! It actually looks a lot like the grain on Mannerheims Mosin in the museum.

--------------------
Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad...

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Bokmal]
      #238747 - 06/12/13 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As it was very light in color I dunked in some water to show the grain .Needless to say I am pleased.

That sure looks like a Grade Extra Fancy piece of Arctic Birch! It actually looks a lot like the grain on Mannerheims Mosin in the museum.

Bokmal ,I found the wood almost by chance after searching and calling many (over 20) wood suppliers. The guy even forgot he had had it and the Tag on the blank said " Flame Birch Finland" It had been in his Barn/shop for over 20 years! The stock is so close grained you would not need to put stock oil on it. It has zero pores. I am going to use light coats of Teak oil for finishing to bring out the grain further .The stock coloring is very yellow underneath with dark flame throughout .When you look at the stock at different angles new flame pops up making it seem 3D. This stock and rifle are meant to represent Field Marshal Mannerheim who I consider to be one of the greatest leaders ever who has always been an inspiration to me and noting will be spared in its building.Here are a couple more pictures from different angles

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (06/12/13 12:32 AM)

Igorrock
.400 member

#238749 - 06/12/13 12:44 AM

Quote:

The stock is so close grained you would not need to put stock oil on it. It has zero pores. I am going to use light coats of Teak oil for finishing to bring out the grain further .

It´s usefull to know that birch, as sort of wood, is much more "living" than normal walnut i.e. if you don´t impegrate it carefully enough it could easily warp if humidity conditions vary much.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #238779 - 06/12/13 04:21 AM

The best prices I've seen here on original military Mosin Nagent - Russian brand new still in cosmoline, with bayonets is $169.00 CDN at the local Wholesale Sports.

Almost bought one, last month - to play with - maybe I'll get one, afterall?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#238802 - 06/12/13 07:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The stock is so close grained you would not need to put stock oil on it. It has zero pores. I am going to use light coats of Teak oil for finishing to bring out the grain further .

It´s usefull to know that birch, as sort of wood, is much more "living" than normal walnut i.e. if you don´t impegrate it carefully enough it could easily warp if humidity conditions vary much.

I do not want to darken the wood on this rifle . Any suggestions from my Finnish friends for proper gunstock finish on Arctic Birch would be appreciated . Something clear and penetrating I should think

Igorrock
.400 member

#238809 - 06/12/13 09:24 AM

Original old finnish Mosin civil stocks has mostly finished with linseed oil- or cellulose-based warnish which gives wood light brownish yellow tone. In my stock works I have used many years Rustins`Danish Oil. It gives wood a light tone which IMO is quite near of those original ones. This oil consist of Tung oil added with some resins and a tad of colour pigment. It penetrates good and when applied layers enough it makes very nice smooth shiny surface which gives to wood very good protection against rain and air humidity.

This puukkos handle piece has impegrated with Danish Oil. As you see the colour of the birch is very light:

--------------------

headoftheholler
.275 member

Reged: 02/12/13
Loc: United States
      #238811 - 06/12/13 12:30 PM

I had always thought that pine tar was used, interesting, you learn something new everyday.

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: headoftheholler]
      #238827 - 06/12/13 05:53 PM

Pine tar is good when impegrating wood items who "lives" outdoor whole of their life, for example wooden boats. For indoor use pine tar isn´t so good because warmth makes it sticky and messy. Nowadays is quite popular to mix pine tar, linseed oil and pine turpentine together. This combimation is easier to apply and wouldn´t be sticky even in warm conditions. And it penetrates better too.

--------------------

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#238884 - 07/12/13 12:57 AM

I make a pine tar wax out of 1/3 Finnish pine tar ,1/3 Natural Beeswax and 1/3 Turpentine . I rub it in everything from gunstocks to leather boots for waterproofing . Haven't found anything better yet

Igorrock
.400 member

#238901 - 07/12/13 03:13 AM

I never use beeswax with leather; it makes leather waterproof but sooner or later crispy too when drying back to wax mode. Lanoline mixed with biobased greases is my option when working with leather.

My own mix to wood is 3/5 Carnaubawax with 1/5 Beeswax and 1/5 Pine Turpentine. You could add some boiled lenseed oil too. Warm all in tin can which swimming in boiling water. When all wax has melted and mixed to solvent take the can awy and let it cool of. Wax is ready to use when turpentine has vapoured of. This is hard wax which I use as a tread over Danish Oil impegrated wood items.

--------------------

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#238932 - 07/12/13 11:00 AM

Interesting although I have always had great results with beeswax . Even Sno -prof uses heavy doses of beeswax in their product and has the reputation of the best footwear weatherproofing on the market . I think the pine tar makes it even better though

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#239165 - 12/12/13 05:40 AM

Sako buttplate now fitted to shaped and sanded Arctic Birch stock. Had to make a barrel sleeve to fit over the barrel to hide unsightly sight screw hole .Considered welding and dismissed as to effect on bore and chamber .Will use low temp silver solder to install and will rust blue entire rifle .Making receiver studs for pillar bedding next. Also finished cutting barrel to 600 mm and recrowning

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (13/12/13 05:30 AM)

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#239304 - 15/12/13 08:42 AM

Today soldered on the Sako front sight .Adapted a WW2 PE sniper base in a similar fashion to the Finnish 28/76 scope base. Base was Silver soldered onto receiver using low temp high strength Silver Solder and the use of heat sink. I have done this operation many times with good results. The inside of the base was hollowed out slightly more to allow access to iron sights

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#239509 - 19/12/13 04:30 AM

Took the Sako to the range yesterday with unfinished but glass bedded stock to proof the rifle with some very warm handloads. Fired 3 hot 7,62x53R loads with good results. Rechecked headspace and all is good. Stamped Rifle barrel with 7,62x53R and Nitro N crown proofmarks

Igorrock
.400 member

#239538 - 19/12/13 04:40 PM

Did you know the mauser 98 -type safety for Mosin ? Same idea to work but just opposite way. Lancaster has used one of such on his rifle.

--------------------

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

#239574 - 20/12/13 05:26 AM

Thanks Igorrock ,yes Bokmal had acquired one for me .I will consider using it but then I wont be able to use my Sako marked cocking piece ;decisions decisions .I saw a very nice detachable ring that attaches to the cocking piece I am also considering. As I plan to use a PE top mount with a Zeiss scope some sort of safety is in order .I do appreciate all of your valuable help ,knowledge and information on Finnish rifles. This project is coming together very quickly and am hoping to use the Sako for late winter Bobcat ,Fox and Wolf hunting

lancaster
.470 member

#241795 - 05/02/14 07:06 PM

a Mosin sporting rifle build by FEG(Fegyver És Gépgyár) in Budapest
for sale in Hungary, 7,62x54R with shortened magazin and claw mount

http://vadaszapro.net/reszletek/206681/feg-gv-7,62x54r-gyartasi-szam:0028

it seems FEG had made a lot of this rifles because MFS in Hungary is making 7,62x54R hunting ammo for decades

another one

http://vadaszapro.net/reszletek/206434/magyar-feg

the interesting thing here is that FEG not only cut the magazin but giving the firing pin nut the typical shape of the mannlicher schönauer firing pin nut. we are here in the old sphere of influence of the Steyr factory and the hungarian hunter had some beliefs how a rifle had to be.

in style very close to a FEG look alike mannlicher schönauer build with a G 98/40 action

here you see the changed firing pin nut clearly
http://vadaszapro.net/reszletek/206425/feg-gv

the action was also rebarreled for rimless rounds like 30 06
http://vadaszapro.net/reszletek/65437/feg-gv-30-06

Edited by lancaster (05/02/14 07:50 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: lancaster]
      #241801 - 05/02/14 07:59 PM

there are also rifles with the original action, probably FEG make different grades of sporter over the years

http://vadaszapro.net/reszletek/206066/feg-gv

another 3006 clearly build on a Mosin action

http://vadaszapro.net/reszletek/191571/feg-gv

a best grade sporter

http://vadaszapro.net/reszletek/204795/zkk-600,-feg-gv,-es-.22-es-olcson

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (06/02/14 06:07 AM)

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 489726

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com