Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Custom 300 H&H on Pre-64 Action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
MattieA
.275 member

Reged: 06/04/07
Loc: Colorado, USA
Custom 300 H&H on Pre-64 Action
      #236295 - 02/10/13 06:56 AM

I was going through some older digital photos, and came across these. The photographs are not particularly good, but the rifle, finished in early 2007, is one of my favorites. It's a 300 H&H Magnum. I bought the rifle used. It consisted of a Winchester 300 H&H barrel attached to a non-300 H&H (no groove on the back of the front receiver ring) Pre-64 action, bedded in a stock that had a reinforcing bolt installed. Actually, it all looked pretty good, and the rifle shot sub-MOA. So, I thought it would make the basis of a nice custom rifle. Shortly after receiving the rifle, I had problems with the scope mounting system. The Gun Maker, Steve Nelson of Corvallis, Oregon, replaced it with a Talley system, shown in the first photo. The scope is lower with the Talley system.
[

Edited by MattieA (02/10/13 07:11 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Custom 300 H&H on Pre-64 Action [Re: MattieA]
      #236299 - 02/10/13 07:53 AM

I have a pre64 300h&h in the safe in about 70% condition, bore is nice and clean.

I've thought on and off over the years of building something similar, I think my Winchester may have to go off to the gun smith.

Beautiful rifle a true inspiration! Is your builder still active?

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Custom 300 H&H on Pre-64 Action [Re: MattieA]
      #236301 - 02/10/13 08:44 AM

Quote:

I bought the rifle used. It consisted of a Winchester 300 H&H barrel attached to a non-300 H&H (no groove on the back of the front receiver ring) Pre-64 action....
Quote:

I wish you would elaborate a little more about your Model 70. Lack of the indentation on the rear of the receiver ring is certainly an indication that the action was not intended for magnum cartridges when it left the factory. However, was the receiver bridge altered to allow magnum length cartridges to load easily? A genuine Model 70 magnum action has a rounded portion of the receiver ring milled out, removing the part of the bridge where the front screw hole for a scope mount is found, dictating the use of a special base with the holes located closer together.

Also, if that is a Winchester barrel, it appears to have been modified by removing both the front sight ramp and the rear sight hump.

Steve Nelson is really a accomodating person. I was able to pay him a visit on my last trip to Corvallis, and he took time off from his work to show me around his shop and exhibit some of his creations. Particularly interesting was his Mauserlicher, a combination of a Mauser bolt with a Mannlicher-Schoenauer action which results in the best of both actions, and removing the objectionable features of the Mannlicher, like the split bridge and the bolt handle located to far forward.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Custom 300 H&H on Pre-64 Action [Re: xausa]
      #236306 - 02/10/13 02:49 PM

Quote:

Particularly interesting was his Mauserlicher, a combination of a Mauser bolt with a Mannlicher-Schoenauer action which results in the best of both actions, and removing the objectionable features of the Mannlicher, like the split bridge and the bolt handle located to far forward

Such big custom works are always very interesting. One another legandary gunsmith has done the same conversition:

http://mausermannlicherandwells.blogspot.fi/

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Custom 300 H&H on Pre-64 Action [Re: Rell]
      #236313 - 02/10/13 11:18 PM

Quote:

I have a pre64 300h&h in the safe in about 70% condition, bore is nice and clean.

I've thought on and off over the years of building something similar, I think my Winchester may have to go off to the gun smith.

Beautiful rifle a true inspiration! Is your builder still active?

Ditto..I have one of these as well at about 80%...been looking around for a blank to do a stock..its a really nice rifle, thanks for posting

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Custom 300 H&H on Pre-64 Action [Re: Igorrock]
      #236314 - 02/10/13 11:23 PM

It appears that Wells grafted a Schoenauer magazine to a Mauser action. Steve Nelson simply fitted a Mauser bolt to a Mannlicher action. The main difficulty was opening up the right raceway on the receiver to make room for the Mauser extractor, as I understand it.

MattieA
.275 member

Re: Custom 300 H&H on Pre-64 Action [Re: Rell]
      #237393 - 02/11/13 12:38 PM

Yes he is. Steve Nelson has a couple of photos of his work at the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild website.

MattieA
.275 member

Re: Custom 300 H&H on Pre-64 Action [Re: xausa]
      #237394 - 02/11/13 12:44 PM

Xausa, that is exactly the case. The rifle originally did not have an indent at the rear of the front receiver ring, and that made cycling a bit tough. So, I first took the rifle to Larry Brace (sadly now deceased) in Eugene, Oregon. He created the indent, and did I forgot what else to the rifle to make it good to go for the 300 H&H cartridge. A couple of years later, I gave it to Steve Nelson to turn into a custom rifle. He removed the rear sight hump and front sight ramp. Steve's "Mauserlicher" is indeed a unique rifle.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4549

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com