Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Charger Clips - what is the opinion on them these days?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Charger Clips - what is the opinion on them these days?
      #232578 - 16/07/13 11:32 AM

I've been reading some very interesting old Gun Digest issues, and one of them has an article by Jack Lott on the 425 Westley Richards. Lott says that Leslie Taylor at Westley Richards designed the round with a rebated rim not just in order to make it work on a standard length Mauser action, but specifically to make it work with a modified charger clip. The thinking was that with the extended magazine that W-R put on their 425 rifles, more rounds could be loaded into the magazine in an emergency then single loading into the magazine. While I do not foresee the circumstances under which people hunted in 1909 ever coming back, and, while there are detachable magazine options available on most current hunting rifle models these days, I'll start a debate here - flame suit on - saying that there might be a very good place for charger clips on current rifles for very good reasons: the explosion of pigs being the main one. US hunters can use AR 10 and 15 rifles in many pig overrun states, but some of us still like old fashioned boltguns. In many other countries, semi autos might not be an option at all. I am not at all convinced that a detachable magazine would work reliably for as long as the far simpler charclip system would. Buy the new R 8 Blaser, and when the magazine works loose, the trigger will also come out with it. In any case, a charger clip allows for a slimmer rifle because a detachable magazine means more thickness around the magazine well.

Perhaps, this is a time to bring a very practical old idea back. Now, let the opinions and arguments roll in.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Charger Clips - what is the opinion on them these days? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #232579 - 16/07/13 12:48 PM

Can't really add to the debate - just want to say that I use Turk brass stripper clips when I use my Remington 308 out hunting. Can't use them for rapid reloading on this rifle but they are a handy way of carrying spare ammo in the pocket without them rattling around.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Charger Clips - what is the opinion on them these days? [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #232599 - 16/07/13 07:56 PM

The rifle would have to use iron sights or a scope/site mounted clear of the loading/ejection port. If this is the case then stripper clips are a great way to go.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Charger Clips - what is the opinion on them these days? [Re: Rule303]
      #232601 - 16/07/13 08:51 PM

What charger guide would you use for a .404 Jeffery then???
Cut off an old .303 clip down to the rim section & just use this to hold the extractor groove?
Like Mauserand9mm I use them for carrying in my pockets.
93x64mm

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #232604 - 16/07/13 09:49 PM

In over fifty years of high power rifle competition, I used charger clips on a regular basis., starting with my first target rifle, a modified Springfield. However, using charger clips is not something which can be mastered with minimum practice. It takes hours of practice with dummy rounds to establish the technique of stripping the rounds into the magazine without dumping the entire arrangement on the ground. This is particularly true in a stressful situation like that of the rapid fire stage of a high power match, where the reload takes place in the middle of a timed string of fire.

I would have no hesitation about hunting dangerous game with a rifle set up for charger clips, but I have been using them all of my adult life. The use of the en bloc clips like those of the M1 Garand is much easier to master, but not an option for hunting use under most circumstances.

Clip loading in general rules out the use of a scope, except in the case of an arrangement like that of the M1C sniper rifle, with its offset Griffin & Howe side mount.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Charger Clips - what is the opinion on them these days? [Re: xausa]
      #232608 - 17/07/13 12:31 AM

For hunting with an iron sighted, or forward mounted scope, they are the BEST way to carry ammo in the field. No rattling in a pocket and 5 rounds ready for a 2 second load.

Just picked up a Swede 6.5x55 for a good price and this thread reminded me I have 2 strippers for that round in the top bin of a parts drawer.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Charger Clips - what is the opinion on them these days? [Re: DarylS]
      #232620 - 17/07/13 08:20 AM

My son uses them with his ex-mil 8x57 for a fast reload. They are very efficient.

My 9.3x62 has the rear charger clip guide ground down to facilitate the fitting of Warne scope bases. I regularly remove these bases and then fit shortened screws so I can use the Express sights. The cut down guide doesn't provide as much lateral stability to a charger clip, so aren't much use for a quick reload. It is just as quick to thumb in a hand full or rounds.

For a designated, express sighted, magazine rifle I'd suggest leaving the charger guide intact.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Charger Clips - what is the opinion on them these days? [Re: tophet1]
      #232750 - 21/07/13 10:08 AM

Thank you for all replies. My favorite hunting rifle is built for open sights alone, and the original military Mauser action works with charger clips. I have not needed to do any heavy work with the rifle, but will be shooting pigs in the very near future on a friend's property in Texas. The greater question is whether this is good enough an idea to bring back. Personally, I think it is . . .

My thanks especially to my friend Daryl S for the forward mounted scope suggestion. Age has meant that the newer rifles that I have are all scoped. I will be buying more guns and having more builot, of course, and a forward mounted scope and charger clip option is a fantastic idea.

If anyone has more suggestions / views, do keep them coming. Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

chuckT
.275 member

Reged: 11/07/11
Loc: texas usa
      #232756 - 21/07/13 11:30 AM

One of the reasons for the forward mounted scope on Jeff Cooper's original scout rifle concept was the ability to use stripper clips. He saw good value in that.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Charger Clips - what is the opinion on them these days? [Re: chuckT]
      #232766 - 21/07/13 03:31 PM

Make sure you practise a lot. New stripper clips can be 'tight'. Also practise reloading without looking down at the rifle.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3438

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com