Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: french connection

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: french connection [Re: grandveneur]
      #378304 - 03/08/23 06:13 AM

Quote:

For decades, the French national caliber was the cartidge 7x64 Brenneke in bolt action rifles.

The cartridge 280 Remington was also often used in semi-automatic rifles from Remington.

Otherwise many cartridges were in use, certainly also the cartridges 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag in bolt action rifles and in semi-automatic rifles.

Hard to beat the 7x64. Excellent round for French and American game.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #378318 - 03/08/23 08:42 PM

Quote:

Right-wing extremist terrorist activities in France shortly before the WWII.

I first heard about it when reading about hunting in New Caledonia in the South Pacific. One could not take a military cartridge rifle to hunt the giant Rusa stags.

I thought it might relate to some sort of independence movement in New Caledonia and restricting sources of ammunition.

Of course I later learned the same laws existed in France as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: french connection [Re: NitroX]
      #378326 - 04/08/23 02:42 AM

All laws are valid on French territory, overseas territories also included. There are still some nowadays.

In 1939 the new gun law also applied to the colonies. One read clearly at the end of the legislation that this must also be notified to the colonial ministry.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: french connection [Re: 9.3x57]
      #378328 - 04/08/23 04:05 AM

Quote:

I think such restriction are common in a number of countries. Italy and the creation of the 9x21 to replace the 9x19 comes to mind and in Latin America I think various countries have "military caliber" restrictions. My uncle was a missionary doctor in Ecuador and had to turn in his Savage over/under 20 ga/.30-30 as it was ".30 caliber" and I know a priest who's father was a retired police officer in Mexico who got into hot water for owning a 1911 .45 ACP, that one I suppose technically wasn't because it was "military" but rather because it was larger than the maximum ".38 caliber".

the australian trouble with handguns over 9 mm /. 38 is not so different. also US law that made a .500 caliber handgun legal and a .510 diameter bullet a destrutive devise like a mortar is the same kind of bs.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: french connection [Re: lancaster]
      #378336 - 04/08/23 08:31 PM

Well I'm glad I can legally purchase a .45 ACP 1911 style handgun to shoot various metal silhouette competitions at my Australian military based firearms club. One comp has shooting knock down metal targets to a hundred metres (or sixty? I forget?) and also closer ranges of course. I've shot it only once. With my .38 Super. Normal not target sights. I hit a few. I thought it was pathetic. But ended up sort of average in relation to othercompetitors.

To shoot this properly a good revolver, single action trigger, with a good dot sight or scope I think.

Another metal silhouette is a rapid fire five or six knock down targets. Timed. Good fun.

The IPSC comp, not sure if a .45 is permitted?

Apologies, a bit off topic.

Firearm laws rarely make a lot of sense, whether Australia, France or the USA. Often they are designed merely to restrict,control, that is the only logic.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#378337 - 04/08/23 08:35 PM

Quote:

All laws are valid on French territory, overseas territories also included. There are still some nowadays.

In 1939 the new gun law also applied to the colonies. One read clearly at the end of the legislation that this must also be notified to the colonial ministry.

I wondered also if these laws related to the Algerian conflict and later betrayal of French Algerian based citizens by the De Gaulle govt. The OAS, French Foreign Legion revolts etc.

Was the ban on military cartridge chambered rifles in force in Algeria on French citizens, when the rebel forces were fighting France?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: french connection [Re: NitroX]
      #378339 - 04/08/23 08:59 PM

Yes, sure.

There were militias to defend localities and settlements, but they officially got their weapons from the army.

9.3x57
.450 member

#378347 - 04/08/23 10:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, sure.

There were militias to defend localities and settlements, but they officially got their weapons from the army.

Also to add, IIRC Algeria was considered an overseas province of France, so didn't mainland France laws of all sorts apply to Algeria as a result?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

#378366 - 05/08/23 06:10 AM

algeria had than martial law and civilians had all kind of guns including full auto to protect them against the algerian undergrund fighters.
same like kenia in the mau-mau revolt. great britain with the so called "troubles" in northern ireland make a similar picture, if you were a unionist you had access to guns with the helping hand of the british government.

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: french connection [Re: lancaster]
      #378368 - 05/08/23 06:32 AM

In Algeria it was not as easy as written here, but since some family members of myself were involved in this conflict with all the atrocities, I don't want to comment further on the subject. It is a topic that is not easy to discuss in a public forum.

9.3x57
.450 member

#378371 - 05/08/23 06:58 AM

Quote:

In Algeria it was not as easy as written here, but since some family members of myself were involved in this conflict with all the atrocities, I don't want to comment further on the subject. It is a topic that is not easy to discuss in a public forum.

I understand.

My point was not in reference to the conflict, but rather to the normal state of laws there. In peaceful times they were exactly as law was on mainland France, is that correct?

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

#378372 - 05/08/23 07:05 AM

That is right.

9.3x57
.450 member

#378374 - 05/08/23 10:33 AM

Quote:

That is right.

Merci.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#383769 - 30/03/24 06:20 AM

Jean Fournier SN JF 318 in 7x54 https://www.marambat-malafosse.com/en/lot/107492/14012670-rifle-mas-fournier-calibre-7x5?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 120110

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com