Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: J.P Smithson 416 rem mag Left-hand

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
J.P Smithson 416 rem mag Left-hand
      #199475 - 15/01/12 07:21 AM

Hello from Norway everyone!

I too dream to see the elephant, and smell the smoke of africa! Thus I need a tool for the job! This is a bit further down the pipeline, yet I would like to buy a rifle quite a bit in advance and get to know it, its shooting characteristics etc.

Now, I AM on a budget. Additionally, Im left-handed. So the selection of available left-hand rifles are close to zero...
Here in Norway the amount of rifles found in scandinavia and germany/france combined is in the two digits, whereas you would be lucky to find a single left-handed weapon..so I am forced to look the the US.
At the gunsinternational site I found one within my budget who seems decent.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/J-P-Smi...un_id=100218962

Caliber seems adequate, left-hand, nice bolt-action... however, Im not familiar with the "This rifle was built on a Harris Gunworks action".
Seeing as the weapon is quite alot cheaper than other smithson rifles, is this a inferior action? Or is this rifle simply "modified" a bit by smithson?

I would still need it exported from the U.S to Norway with a 24% import tax and some export taxes probably in the region of 500-800 dollars, hence my budget...

Thanks in advance for any advice and reflections on this rifle!

Regards,
Axel Nikolai

Norway

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: J.P Smithson 416 rem mag Left-hand [Re: Fontainebleu]
      #201002 - 29/01/12 11:45 AM

axel,,,that gun looks like a bargain and i doubt if smithson would of even put it together on an inferior action,,the navy seals use the m-86 rifle that harris makes????? ,,there is another for sale that doesnt have half the good looks and workmanship as yours that price is 2500usd,,left hand rifles will sell for less thats just the way it is ,,,you should jump on it ,,its left handed ,,a smithson (great name),great caliber and has africa written all over it,,you,ll be sick if you dont pull the trigger and miss it ....paul

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
Re: J.P Smithson 416 rem mag Left-hand [Re: pjaln]
      #201822 - 07/02/12 12:13 AM

My only gripe is that I`d love a Mauser 98 mechanism... which this doesnt seem to have. Anyone familiar with this action?

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #201969 - 08/02/12 02:45 PM

axel ,,the gun you like is controlled round fed it is not there 700 style action but the problem is finding info on the action since it is no longer made ,,i think brownells at one time sold them separately,,,paul

Wes350
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/08
Loc: CA,
      #203347 - 23/02/12 07:06 AM

Quote:

My only gripe is that I`d love a Mauser 98 mechanism... which this doesnt seem to have. Anyone familiar with this action?

It might be worthwhile to contact Joe Smithson himself.

http://smithson-gunmaker.com/index.htm

Being an 'off-brand' action it is highly likely he remembers the build, and could give you all of the info you might need.

And seeing as how the rifle is being sold from Lehi Utah, and Smithson's shop is located about 10 miles away in Orem, he would likely remeber the person he built it for as well.

Plus the price is a total steal -all his other work I see on the net goes for 10K+

pacecars
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/05
Loc: Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Re: J.P Smithson 416 rem mag Left-hand [Re: Wes350]
      #203943 - 28/02/12 01:21 AM

It looks to me to be a Mauser style action with CRF. Too bad it does not have his QD mounts.It is their "Talon" action which is based on the Mauser 98. If you look closely on the 4th picture down you can see on the front ring just above the wood the word TALON.

pacecars
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/05
Loc: Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Re: J.P Smithson 416 rem mag Left-hand [Re: pacecars]
      #203944 - 28/02/12 01:29 AM

Found this about a Talon action on a gunbroker auction about a custom .340 rifle: "Harris Gunworks custom rifle with the controlled round feed "Talon" action developed by Wes Haris when he was partners with Gale McMillan in the early 1990s"

FRJ
.224 member

Reged: 09/01/12
Loc: Washington (wet side)
Re: J.P Smithson 416 rem mag Left-hand [Re: pacecars]
      #208538 - 18/05/12 01:08 PM

I have just one thing that you should think about. I have a safe full of L/H rifles and shotguns and they are definately not cheaper than R/H guns. If anything they are about ten percent more. Around my neck of the woods the dealers cant keep them in stock. A L/H rifle isn't much use to a right hander but a R/H rifle isn't much good to the l/h shooter either.Sounds like youve got a great deal on a fine caliber rifle. Buy it you'll like it. FRJ

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4252

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com