Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Robert U. Milhoan, Gunsmith

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Robert U. Milhoan, Gunsmith
      #201432 - 02/02/12 09:16 AM

In his introduction to Philip B. Sharpe’s The Rifle in America (William Morrow and Company, New York, 1937), then Lieutenant Colonel Julian S. Hatcher wrote,"So in such a volume of this kind it behooves the reader first to examine his author. In Phil Sharpe we have the ideal combination of a firearms enthusiast and technician who has made guns and ammunition his life’s workas well as his hobby; and who happens to be an experienced and prolific writer. For our purposes there could be no more perfect combination, and in this volume, we, the riflemen of America, may reap the benefits."

Julian Summerville Hatcher (June 26, 1888 – December 4, 1963), was a noted firearms expert and author of the early twentieth century. He is credited with several technical books and articles relating to military firearms. His premier works are Hatcher's Notebook and Book of the Garand, along with Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers and Pistols and Revolvers and Their Uses. He was also a pioneer in the forensic identification of firearms and their ammunition. Hatcher retired from the United States Army as a Major General. Afterward, he served as Technical Editor of the National Rifle Association's "American Rifleman" magazine.

Sharpe’s 640 page book contains a section entitled "The Custom Rifle" authored by Robert U. Milhoan. In an addendum to this chapter Sharpe explains that Milhoan had built rifles for him and rifles for others on his recommendation. He then goes on to describe one such rifle, built by Milhoan for a certain Chester Johnson.

Sharpe relates that Mr. Johnson had contacted him in his capacity as firearms editor for a national publication and related the following sad story. According to Mr. Johnson, he had bought a National Match Springfield rifle for the purpose of having it converted to a custom sporter. To make a long story short, the rifle was totally butchered by a gunsmith who advertised in a "prominant magazine", to the point that the unhappy writer had ended up with a rifle worth no more than $10.00 for scrap, although he had invested approximately $125.00 in it.

Sharpe relates that he, himself, had had a similar expeerience with the same "gunsmith" and that he had sent Mr. Johnson photographs of another rifle built for him by Mr. Milhoan. The upshot was that Mr. Johnson ordered a rifle from Milhoan, to be made "like Phil Sharpe’s", which Milhoan proceeded to produce, and which was illustrated with a two page photo spread in the chapter written by Milhoan.

A number of years ago, a sporterized Springfield appeared for sale in Gun Broker. I attempted to contact the seller, but received no answer. The rifle looked somehow familiar, and I searched through several of my books to try to locate the photograph I remembered seeing of it, when I came across the pictures of the rifle that Robert Milhoan had made for Mr. Johnson. There was no doubt about it, the rifle listed on Gun Broker was identical with the one pictured in Sharpe’s The Rifle in America.

I placed a bid on the rifle, and since there were no other bids, won the rifle. Soon afterwards, I received an email from Michael Petrov, a name familiar to me on the basis of articles I had read in Precision Shooting. Michael had been interested in the rifle also, but had refrained from bidding because he could get no response to his questions from the seller.

I called Michael’s attention to the photographs in Sharpe’s book, and he agreed that the rifle was either the Johnson rifle, or the Sharpe rifle which had served as its pattern.

However, he was unfamiliar with the name Robert Milhoan, and unable to supply any information about him.

The rifle is based on a National Match Springfield barrelled action. The star gauge mark is visible on the muzzle of the barrel. It is equipped with a Noske Fieldscope Type B 2.5X scope in an Noske side mount. The long eye relief of the scope made it possible to mount it far enough forward so that the bolt handle remains unaltered. It features a Lyman 48 rear sight and a quarter rib with one standing and three folding sights, a barrel band front swivel base and a ramp front sight. The stock is nicely finished and checkered with a palm fitting swell on the right side of the pistol grip. The bolt is fitted with a headless cocking piece.

I have tried repeatedly to find more information on Robert Milhoan, but have found precious little. I know he was located in Elizabeth, West Virginia, but precious little else about him. If anyone has any further information about him and his work, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

The following photographs are of the rifle in my possession:

These photographs are copies of the two pages in Phil Sharpe's book

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Don
.275 member

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: California
Re: Robert U. Milhoan, Gunsmith [Re: xausa]
      #201494 - 03/02/12 01:21 AM

Xausa;

Maybe I can help about some information on Robert U. Milhoan. In the late 1960' to around 1972 I spent every summer and weekend at my Grandmothers home in Elizabeth, West Virginia. Through a mutual friend I met Mr. Milhoan and visited his shop. Bob had been retired for several years and the shop was in a very run down shape. Still he took the time to teach a 14 year old kid a little about gun smithing and advised me to purchase Dunlap's book. Which I did and read it from cover to cover.

Don

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: Robert U. Milhoan, Gunsmith [Re: Don]
      #201649 - 04/02/12 12:38 PM

Xausa,
The American Rifleman, July, 1941 may have an article about Robert U. Milhoan.
Regards,
Carpetsahib

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Robert U. Milhoan, Gunsmith [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #201650 - 04/02/12 12:40 PM

Xausa,
As an aside, Michael Petrov, back in 09, indicated that this rifle was back on the market.
Carpetsahib

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#201654 - 04/02/12 12:49 PM

Quote:

Xausa,
The American Rifleman, July, 1941 may have an article about Robert U. Milhoan.
Regards,
Carpetsahib

I just found an article about Robert U. Milhoan in the February, 1966 issue of The American Rifleman. He was educated as a mechanical engineer and worked as a civil engineer on the design and construction of railroad and other projects. He started his education as a tool and die apprentice.

He never apprenticed as a gunsmith, he worked for the Three-Barrel Gun Co. in Moundsville, WVA, and for A.W. Peterson in Denver.

xausa
.400 member

#201671 - 04/02/12 07:12 PM

Kirk,

Thanks for the American Rifleman references. You are right about the rifle being back on the market. I put out some tentative feelers, but dropped the subject when no interest was shown. other than Michael, who said that he was otherwise committed. I will probably be listing it in the Classified section before long. Age and eye problems have effectively curtailed my shooting activities, and this is one of a number of nice rifles which need a new home.

Bill

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#201680 - 05/02/12 12:27 AM

Bill,
That is a beautiful rifle that has some very interesting features. For example, the side mount appears to have been textured in some way, perhaps by florentining or stippliing. The stock contours are unusual in several aspects, particularly in the treatment of the cheek piece and the contouring of the butt. Robert U. Milhoan did not copy anyone else's work! I suspect, considering his good reputation, that the stock is functionally and technically superb. I would be proud to own it!!!

xausa
.400 member

#201700 - 05/02/12 04:43 AM

Kirk,

I could find nothing in the July 1941 American Rifleman referring to Robert Milhoan. The February, 1966 article is fascinating, however.

It does start off with misinformation. According to data recovered by Michael Petrov, Milhoan's birth date was April 17, 1896, not 1886, as stated in the article, which would make Milhoan 70, not 80, at the time the article was published.

What particularly interested me was the quotation attributed to Milhoan, "I have built around 40 complete guns, everything from falling-block single shots to double rifles, including 3 Drillings and 5 double barrelled shotguns." By this, I take it that Milhoan meant that he had made everything about the gun in question, including the action. I can think of no other American gunsmith of the time period, except for John M. Browning, who could make that claim, although such a feat is still common among European gun makers.

The Milhoan stock is certainly massive, and the presence of the folding leaf sights led the uninformed seller to assume that the rifle was intended for Africa. His ignorance in general was amazing. The pistol grip incorporates Milhoan's version of the Wundhammer swell, which can be seen to extend beyond the checkered part of the grip. It looks a little strange, but certainly gives a close fit to the right hand.

Don,

Thank you very much for your contribution to the Milhoan story. I particularly appreciate the fact that this is your first post. Anything else you can remember about your relationship with Robert Milhoan would be most welcome.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#201710 - 05/02/12 07:43 AM

Bill,
The Milhoan stock bears a strong resemblance to the NRA Springfield stock. By that, I mean the close pistol grip, nose of the comb, overall appearance. The cheekpiece is unique. The quality of the walnut that he used appears to be very high. It resembles a nice piece of Oregon Black walnut, but I could be wrong about that.

I also thought the comments regarding the complete building of guns to be remarkable. He did work at 3 Barrel Gun Co., so maybe that is where he got his experience. Its also remarkable that he worked to Axel Peterson in Denver.

I did some research on Chester Johnson of Vermillion, SD. It appears he was born in 1888 and died in 1958. He was married to Grace Dawson and they had a son, Peter William Johnson, who was born in 1923. Chester worked at a car dealership in Vermillion.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#201711 - 05/02/12 07:59 AM

Bill,
It appears, from reading Phil Sharpe's comments in his book "The Rifle in America", that the rib and sights were made by Sedgley; it was intended to act as a scope mount and sight base combined, similar to the Ruger No. 1 rib. I suspect that the cheekpiece design is by Sharpe, and seems to have been influenced by the Mossberg target rifles then in vogue. The same may be true of the Wundhammer swell...it could very well be Sharpe's design.
Kirk

Don
.275 member

#205121 - 14/03/12 12:33 AM

Xausa

When I knew Bob Milhoan he was primarily building varmint rifles for people. A real common high demand item. He would generally use a Remington Model 700 or a Mauser 98 (at that time they were cheap and everywhere). He also liked the Browning single shot action. I was in my “big bore” phase and he let me shoot some hot hand loads in a lever action (1886?) It just whetted my appetite for more. He told be about the 505 Gibbs but didn’t have one there to shoot.

If my memory serves me right he also had a beard. He removed the rear sights of my first gun a 1893/1916 Spanish Mauser (just turned 14). His home was filled with all types of guns which is still very common in that part of West Virginia.

Don

Don
.275 member

#206260 - 31/03/12 04:52 AM

I just recalled one other item about Bob Mihoan: In the out of print book, “Twenty Two Caliber Varmint Rifles” by Charles S. Landis, 1947 on Page 52 there is a section on Bob Milhoan’s loads for the 22 Hornet. As an aside it is a great book on varmint rifles even though it is out of date.

Don

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #206266 - 31/03/12 07:38 AM

Xausa that's one sweet bolt rifle
Thanks for sharing!

Don welcome to the site, and thanks to you as well for sharing your experience with the builder. Enjoy your time here.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6409

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com