Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle....
      #205630 - 21/03/12 05:09 AM

While I realize rifles are a very personal thing..what some like others hate...if this rifle shoots, handles, etc as well as I think it will, count me in--

5.25 lbs..and available in 280AI, 270Win. or 30-06..the perfect go to gun for hunting in the mtns..IMHO..

Ripp

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84l/mountain-ascent

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: Ripp]
      #205635 - 21/03/12 05:49 AM

Dang, that thi g in 280ai would be the featherweight laser of death!

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: tinker]
      #205647 - 21/03/12 07:46 AM

Mate took a 280 to NZ hunting Tahr. Great mtn calibre. When are you buying one Ripp ?

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: tophet1]
      #205657 - 21/03/12 10:44 AM

My Kiwi cobber uses an 280AI and has flattened heaps of Tahr and Chamois with it in the mountains,amongst much more than just those game species.
That rifle would be perfect over there for the amount of humping a load one does.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: tophet1]
      #205692 - 21/03/12 11:55 PM

Quote:

Mate took a 280 to NZ hunting Tahr. Great mtn calibre. When are you buying one Ripp ?

Talked to Kimber yesterday as well as a gun shop in Billings..Kimber told me production on them has not yet started and is scheduled to start in 4-5 months..so it appears there will be quite a wait before they are available..I orderd the Montana model in 280AI and it took one year to get here ..but get here it did...

Also have a Lex Webernick (http://www.riflesinc.com) lightweight in the same caliber..incredible rifle..and even though it is ultra light--still very accurate...actually took a pronghorn with it 2 seasons ago at a lasered 565 yards..using a Zeiss 4.5-14 Rapid Z-800 scope...

Hopefully in a year it'll show up...

Ripp

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#205698 - 22/03/12 02:19 AM

Ripp-

What was your bullet/load/fpsMV for that 565yd shot?
Did you recover the bullet? How (besides the obvious) did it do?

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: tinker]
      #205705 - 22/03/12 04:43 AM

Quote:

Ripp-

What was your bullet/load/fpsMV for that 565yd shot?
Did you recover the bullet? How (besides the obvious) did it do?

Cheers
Tinker

Even though I usually reload almost everything..the year I did that, it was impossible, at least for me to get brass to do any reloading for the 280AI..so I ordered a box of Nosler Custom ammo shooting the 140gr Nosler Accubond..per the box ..the mv is 3150 fps..and it was fairly close as I took it to the range and chrono'd them before I used it..

Did NOT recover the bullet --blew out the opposite side...hole was about the side of a .50 piece..

Was with my good buddy Rod when I shot it..was kinda cool..even though it wasn't one of those 1000 yard shots you see on tv..was surprised how long the bullet traveled in time until you could hear the whack for the hit...

FYI..I also used the same load/gun for my Big Horn Sheep in the breaks here in Montana..exact opposite in that case..the ram facing me was asleep..so, pulled my shoes and slipped by him to hammer his buddy sitting on a shelf at 15 yards.....massive exit wound..

FYI2...this shoots really well in my custom..3 holes touching at 100 yards..and when I was tested the rapid z reticle--put an orange dot on the farthest target on my local range..was putting the shots all in that dot..had my friend watch was I was shooting as I was not sold on the accuracy of the Rapid Z reticle at that time..

Still not that impressed with the clarity of those scopes..but the reticle does work..

Take care..

PS...Leaving in the morning for Spring break..so chat with you if you have any more questions when I get back..Cancun..here I come...

Ripp

PSS.

here's a photo of the antelope..he is a dink..but wanted to try that distance..

this is the ram shot with the same load

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (22/03/12 04:50 AM)

tinker
.416 member

#205711 - 22/03/12 08:07 AM

Dang.
That's good for the little 140gr bullet.

Thanks Ripp

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #205792 - 23/03/12 06:33 AM

Ripp,

What brass have you had success with when hand loading the 280AI? I've have that caliber in mind for the rebarrel of a Remington Ti rifle that I'm working on if the stock 270 barrel doesn't shoot well.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #205914 - 25/03/12 03:40 AM

The first time a salesman handed me a Kimber 84 with a synthetic stock, I was shocked by how light the rifle was - I have rimfire rifles that are considerably heavier than one of these. Very nice little guns!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #205924 - 25/03/12 08:39 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Ripp, thank you for posting that link on the new Kimber Mtn-Assent rifle.
I recently purchased a Kimber Montana 84M in .223 Rem for a customer and I'm currently awaiting delivery of an Montana 84L, in .25-06 for myself.
I had a mate/customer (JA) dropped around yesterday wanting some work done on his "Old Faithful" FN .375 H&H, prior to another African Safari. JA had been to the SCI show in the US earlier this year, and handled the new Mtn-Assent. He asked me if I could order him in one of the new Mtn-Assent's in .270Win!

According to JA, they are a very light, impressively made and finished rifle!

When I can afford it, I want to get one of the Kimber Varmint type rifles, in .223 Rem.

Ripp, thank you for posting the images of your Antelope and Ram! Most impressive and well done mate!!!
Hope you enjoy Cancun!!!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #206706 - 07/04/12 04:35 PM

Ripp thanks for posting. Nice Bighorn.

The new Kimber IMHO would be great for the montains and open flat country in 325WSM.

Ripp
.577 member

#206724 - 07/04/12 11:32 PM

Quote:

Ripp,

What brass have you had success with when hand loading the 280AI? I've have that caliber in mind for the rebarrel of a Remington Ti rifle that I'm working on if the stock 270 barrel doesn't shoot well.

I have been able to get on hands on about 200 rounds of Nosler brass...

Ironically, I built a .257 Weathergy on a Remington TI rifle--put on a Hart barrel, hs precision stock..4-14 scope VX3...incredible rifle..and weighs 7.4 lbs all in ...

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: Homer]
      #206726 - 07/04/12 11:39 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Ripp, thank you for posting that link on the new Kimber Mtn-Assent rifle.
I recently purchased a Kimber Montana 84M in .223 Rem for a customer and I'm currently awaiting delivery of an Montana 84L, in .25-06 for myself.
I had a mate/customer (JA) dropped around yesterday wanting some work done on his "Old Faithful" FN .375 H&H, prior to another African Safari. JA had been to the SCI show in the US earlier this year, and handled the new Mtn-Assent. He asked me if I could order him in one of the new Mtn-Assent's in .270Win!

According to JA, they are a very light, impressively made and finished rifle!

When I can afford it, I want to get one of the Kimber Varmint type rifles, in .223 Rem.

Ripp, thank you for posting the images of your Antelope and Ram! Most impressive and well done mate!!!
Hope you enjoy Cancun!!!

Doh!
Homer

I have heard mixed reviews on the Kimber rifles...I have 4 or their handguns and they shoot really well..in fact picked up the little Kimber solo in 9mm to carry with me on my HD while out riding..shoots really well..

As to the rifles..I have a friend who works for a major sporting goods chain store..said Kimber rifles seem to be really good shooters or not...not many in-between He also said for whatever reason, accuracy on the 300 WSM was about 50/50 as to if they would shoot or not...have a couple of friends who had one in a .325 and did not shoot well at all.so this will be my first Kimber to try out..figured if it doesnt shoot can always rebarrel it..and still have a semi-custom for a reasonable price...

Thanks about the Big Horn..was really lucky in that I shot him 2 months to the date after my bad motorcycle wreck....lucky to be alive and lucky to find him..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (08/04/12 12:21 AM)

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#206793 - 09/04/12 02:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp,

I have been able to get on hands on about 200 rounds of Nosler brass...

Ironically, I built a .257 Weathergy on a Remington TI rifle--put on a Hart barrel, hs precision stock..4-14 scope VX3...incredible rifle..and weighs 7.4 lbs all in ...

Ripp

Thanks. I gave the barrel maker the go ahead to rebarrel in 280AI a couple of weeks ago. Last month Midway had the Nosler 280AI brass on sale so I put a couple of boxes on back order. Depending on how those look I may consider forming brass from the Lapua 30-06.

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
      #207122 - 16/04/12 12:04 AM

Ahhh why not just fire form 280 Remington in the chamber?

If the AI chamber is reamed correctly then this works a treat:-

Standard Remington core lockt in 280 Rem on left and fire formed with Remington 175 gran bullet seated into case on right. That was the first case fired in the new chamber.

I reamed the chamber as per Ackley's hand book 0.004" short to provide a slight crush fit with factory ammunition. The barrel was factory one for a BSA CF2 in 7x64 new in the white. My rifle is a BSA 1st Pattern Monarch the tenon on the barrel required a bit of altering to fit as I didn't realise that the CF2 had a slightly different tenon. Chose the CF2 barrel as it has a larger profile at the chamber to the rather slim Majestic/Monarch barrel profle.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: Brithunter]
      #207125 - 16/04/12 01:19 AM

The only reason to form other brass is if one desires to use a higher quality brass. Lapua seems to get the 'nod' for that in most calibres.

Some ctgs. show or indicate the better brass advantage on pape while, some don't. The shooting qualities of the barrel, stock & shooter will determine this.

I like that round & it's ballistics - haven't built one yet, but will, some day.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: Kimber Ascent--NEW lightweight MTN rifle.... [Re: DarylS]
      #207126 - 16/04/12 01:47 AM

I have a bag of standard Remington Brass as well. The idea behind having the head stamped brass is if I ever travel somewhere where they are picky about your ammo matching your gun. As Daryl mentioned, the best brass option is probably to neck down and fire form Lapua 30-06 brass.

Ripp
.577 member

#207153 - 16/04/12 08:16 AM

Quote:

I have a bag of standard Remington Brass as well. The idea behind having the head stamped brass is if I ever travel somewhere where they are picky about your ammo matching your gun.

While I have heard problems with this..in my 3 hunts in Zim and 1 in South Africa--thus far I have not incurred any problems..however S Africa was at the time the most diffucult..Do Agree however--would NEVER chance anything when traveling that far if possible

Ripp...

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7026

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com