Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido
      #204304 - 03/03/12 08:03 AM

Signor Marco Rigido of New System Arms has sent me pictures of a prototype of his latest design - a bullpup hunting gun.

In his words:

Quote [These are photos of a prototype of Shotguns and rifles for hunting.
Single shot, percussion and closing mechanisms contained in one inch.
In a rifle total length of 23 inches, 22 inches are barrel.
You are authorized to publish the photos.
Greetings.] end Quote

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #204305 - 03/03/12 08:11 AM

PS I have been talking to Signor Rigido on Facebook recently and learning about his prolific work for other companies. My personal thanks to him for sharing details about his work.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #204319 - 03/03/12 12:06 PM

Oh no! Other than being semi-auto, this would set off the anti nutters in Aust.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido [Re: NitroX]
      #204327 - 03/03/12 12:48 PM

John,

From what I understood, this is a single shot with the patent being related to the firing mechanism which is just one inch longer than the barrel. I am guessing that it should be possible to build a more "sporter-like" gun with this mechanism. Possibly a very short double rifle too . . .

This, of course, is speculation on my part and I'll wait for Signor Rigido to respond. I have sent him a link to this thread for his comments. He was somewhat reluctant about writing in English, but I can't see any problem at all with his English. if any member here is fluent in Italian and would like to communicate and help with translation, I would be most happy to make the necessary introductions.

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
      #204363 - 04/03/12 04:05 AM

It will never be allowed for hunting purpose in Sweden. I really donīt see the use of such a short hunting rifle???

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido [Re: Sville]
      #204388 - 04/03/12 07:56 AM

Not allowed here either, Sville. Bullpups have been prohitited weapons here since early times - 1960's - at least the 1970's?

Fun to have in a semi-auto with a 30 round mag. in something that didn't kick, like a .17AH! It would need a collection drum off the right side to catch those wildcat .17's. But - what a blast in a gopher patch!!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido [Re: DarylS]
      #204391 - 04/03/12 09:22 AM

Good use for such a rifle is bear over hound in thick brush/big timber/steep terrain.

That's where I take my S&W 500, where a longer rifle is too much of a pain in the ass getting through heavy low manzanita or chaparral.

...and the ability to cover it under your coat..?

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido [Re: DarylS]
      #204392 - 04/03/12 09:29 AM

IMHO just another of those useless, senseless, tasteless inventions engineers without much hunting experience try to sell to equally tasteless and inexperienced wannabe hunters! Even a Blaser is several grades better than this Rube Goldbergish abomination. Mehul, you could have saved me from some pain by avoiding posting this!

MaxGera
.275 member

Reged: 15/02/12
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido [Re: kuduae]
      #204395 - 04/03/12 09:46 AM

Just wait until you see the engraved model!

--------------------
To get things done, stop talking and start doing!

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#204398 - 04/03/12 10:25 AM

kuduae

Engineers without hunting experience selling to wannabe hunters?

Sure. Here's some more of what he offers routinely: 500 Jeffery rifles built on standard and magnum Mauser actions.

Hammer Shotguns.

Sidelock hammerless shotguns and double rifles.

This, of course, besides the work that he does for businesses as varied as Armitalia Sandro Lucchini and Armi Chiappa among several others.

Sure, I can see where he lacks a background in designing guns . . .

In the meantime, I'm sure you'll show us what guns you build (not own - anyone can pay to buy stuff) and also list the patents that you have accumulated over the years while you name clients who pay you to design guns for them.

ROTFLMAO!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

tinker
.416 member

#204399 - 04/03/12 10:53 AM

...come to think of it, the big S&W has done well under a coat while hunting.
It carries that way into our canyon on cat and yote patrol often.

This bullpup is unconventional.
I could find a situation or two where it could work out nicely.
In prototype trim the appearance is a bit 'James Bond meets SharperImage catalog', but I think this is a function over form exercise.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido [Re: tinker]
      #204402 - 04/03/12 11:02 AM

Tinker,

That is exactly what I mean. The patent covers the breech and firing mechanism fro what I understand. The furniture is only to demonstrate the compactness of the prototype. There are both Italian and Austrian bullpup rifle single shot designs that are extremely compact, but this suggests to a non-engineer like me that it has possibilities for building a very compact hunting shotgun or rifle that complies with the legal requirements for overall minimum length, and still has a longer barrel than is otherwise possible.

Having seen the guns that Signor Rigido builds and sells - and some of them are really nice classically styled shotguns and rifles - my guess is that if someone could pull off a radical design built to a shape that is familiar to most of us, he could do it. We still haven't seen the final version - I clearly pointed out that this is his prototype to show how compact a gun made to this design would be.

Love how some jump on someone trying to do something different whether it is Joseph Szecsei with his double bolt, Joerg Biesewinkel with his Steinkamp bullpup O/U, or now Marco Rigido. Heck, all of these are people trying to build a better mousetrap. I can't see the point in railing at someone for trying to do something different . . .

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

tinker
.416 member

#204405 - 04/03/12 11:36 AM

I'd be happy to take one up here on my hill for extended test-driving!

His backAction/hammer toplever guns are pretty sweet looking.
Really.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido [Re: tinker]
      #204881 - 10/03/12 09:23 PM

Hi Mehul, this Italian bullpup may well be the work of a renowned master, but a job done on a Monday morning when he had a bad hangover. No, I have never patented any gun design. I think this to be rather futile, as nearly any "new" design idea concerning break-open guns was most likely patented by some forgotten British, French, Belgian or German gunsmith more than 100 years ago.
If you care to go through my other posts you will see that I do some gunsmithing myself, but mostly only for my own use. Over the years I have done enough repairs, have looked inside many guns and have watched and investigated some accidents and failures. So I feel quite qualified to tell a good design from a so-so one. This is why I don't like Blasers, all of them, will never stake my life on a Krieghoff double rifle. The "new, revolutionary" Merkel Helix straight-pull repeater leaves me cold after I had a look at it's innards, you simply cannot outwit old Archimedes.
Bullpup designs leave me cold. IMHO they are all ill-balanced and butt-heavy. They may be the thing for an one-armed person, but by God's grace I still have two hands and prefer a gun to balance between them. And, with the muzzle so close to your face, muzzle blast and noise is unbearable, especially if the thing is fitted with a muzzle brake.
By coincidence I visited the IWA yesterday. An Austrian named Pfeifer showed me his bullpup rifles, www.pfeifer-waffen.at . His are also single-shots, available to order from .22lr to .458 Winchester. These are not prototypes, but custom production guns, available with wood stocks or Kevlar ones. They may be a wee bit longer than your Italian prototype. With a 66cm = 26" barrel over all length runs to 70cm = 27.5", depending on thickness of recoil pad. As I said, I will never buy such a thing nor do I deem it an appropriate hunting instrument, but to my eyes Mr. Pfeifer's creations are much less offending than Signor Rigido's contraption.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #204886 - 11/03/12 01:26 AM

Kuduae,

1. I agree completely with both your posts.

2. Is the trigger visible on the Pfeifer rifle the front trigger of a pair of double set triggers, or is it really reversed, and if so, why?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Prototype of Bullpup Hunting Gun Design by Marco Rigido [Re: xausa]
      #204894 - 11/03/12 04:10 AM

Looks to possibly be a set trigger, with a straight pull plunger for the 'firing' trigger - perhaps a selonoid?

Nice wood!

That's what a 'polite' person says when they don't like the looks, design or whatever of a rifle. There must be 'somthing' you can compliment - if not, invent something - HA!.
I still think that top one would be really neat in a semi-auto - auto collection of brass .17AH for gophers.

Was at the range yesterday shooting the .25/06 and .17AH. Had to wait for the barrel of the .25 to cool after every 3 shot group. With the .17 AH, I fired 40 round without stopping and the barrel never reached room temp - was still cool, yet the temp was 3 or 4 degrees above freezing.

Yeah - a .17AHBullpup semiauto would be 'super' for gophers.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#204909 - 11/03/12 11:19 AM

kuduae,

From my post above where I replied to my friend Tinker:

Quote [There are both Italian and Austrian bullpup rifle single shot designs that are extremely compact . . .]

I am aware of other bullpup designs being around. I do not, as an etiquette, bring OT stuff about comparative products onto a post about a specific designer / gunmaker's work.

Since you talked about the Merkel Helix, I did post here about a close friend's bad experience with one of the first Helix rifles sold in the USA - he returned it to Merkel in a week after buying it. Believe it or not, we do get to shoot guns over here - and there's more than a few of us who buy stuff that we do use.

What you choose to spend your money on is your privilege. Just FYI, there are clients who pay 300,000 euros for the privilege of buying some of the top of the line double rifles that Marco Rigido builds and sells. I am sure that they have their ideas about what they want to spend their money on. And nothing that you tell them is going to make a difference to their buying decision.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6342

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com