Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Winchester 1892 Magazine Capacity?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Winchester 1892 Magazine Capacity?
      #201572 - 03/02/12 05:13 PM

G'Day Fella's,

I have a brand new, in the box Win 1982 in .44 Magnum and I need to find out it's mag capacity?
This is the current production type with the tang safety, 20" barrel and full length magazine.
I have a bloke interested in purchasing it but he wants to confirm the magazine capacity first.
I don't want to mar the finish on the rifles loading gate etc, just to find this out so hence the dumb question!

Looking forward to your reply's.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
Re: Winchester 1892 Magazine Capacity? [Re: Homer]
      #201618 - 04/02/12 07:00 AM

Ten, +1 in the chamber.

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
Re: Winchester 1892 Magazine Capacity? [Re: CommandCar]
      #201621 - 04/02/12 07:48 AM

Unless it's the Trapper and then it's 9+1.

Homer
.416 member

Re: Winchester 1892 Magazine Capacity? [Re: Oldbrit]
      #201628 - 04/02/12 09:05 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for your replies, very much appreciated!
Yes it's a 20" barreled Carbine, so I assume it will be 10 + 1, mag capacity.

Best regards
Doh!
Homer

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #201657 - 04/02/12 01:01 PM

92? or 94? guess I'm out of touch if they are selling M92's. Did they increase the rate of twist from 38" to something a much faster (if a new M92)?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Homer
.416 member

Re: Winchester 1892 Magazine Capacity? [Re: DarylS]
      #201659 - 04/02/12 01:19 PM

G'Day Daryl,

Yes its a current production 92 (1892) Winchester, made by Miroku in Japan.
It is exceedingly well made and fit and finish is superb!

I actually have 2 of them, one in .44Mag (for sale) and I'm going to keep the .45 Colt version.
They are both brand new Winchester/Davidson Limited Series, 1 of 500 with Octagonal barrel etc.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#201698 - 05/02/12 04:06 AM

TKs Homer - they'd be very well done indeed, if anything like the M86's. Do they have the 38" rifling twist? That would be the stopper for me.

--------------------
Daryl

Homer
.416 member

#201815 - 06/02/12 09:56 PM

G'Day Daryl,

I need to check my .45 to confirm it but apparently they (.44 Mag & .45 Colt), have a 1 in 16" twist.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#201826 - 07/02/12 12:40 AM

1 in 16 would be excellent for the heavier bullets.

Some time ago, someone printed an add for eitehr Marlin or Winchester (couple years ago) saying they had 16" twists, but turned out it was a misprint - or lie - whatever the case may be and were still sitting on the 38" twist. Don't get me wrong, the 38" twist will shoot the light bullets just fine, and even heavier in 45 Colt if you can get them moving.
I've just prefer a faster twist. Sure was a fun gun to shoot in .45 Colt. I found RP brass the strongest of all US brands. I found Fed to be considerably weaker. I do not know about Startline brass - that's new to me.

--------------------
Daryl

Homer
.416 member

#201893 - 07/02/12 08:48 PM

G'Day Daryl,

Sorry mate, I've been as busy as a One Legged Tap Dancer, so I haven't had a chance to check the .45's barrel twist.

On another part of this, I recently ordered a heap of Dillon bits for my 550B. This order included 300 new, Star Line .45 Colt cases. I weighed them and they came in at an average of 107 grains.
I have a heap of Old but still new Winchester Western unfired cases, that have a roll crimp in the side of the case just above half way, down from the case mouth.
I weighed these and they averaged in at 110 grains.
When you get a chance Daryl, could you please weigh as many different brands of .45 Colt cases, and let me know. Same goes to any other forum readers out there, with various (Remington, Federal etc) brands of .45 Colt cases.

Thank you for your help with this, as case weight can generally give a person a bit of a guide to case strength.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #201896 - 07/02/12 09:06 PM

Homer Im thinking 454 Casull & 460 S&W Magnum cases will be greatly stronger , just trim to length ?

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Winchester 1892 Magazine Capacity? [Re: Sarg]
      #201934 - 08/02/12 05:52 AM

They'll be stronger I'm sure, Sarg, but have slightly less capacity. The added strength should outweigh the loss in capacity for sure. That's what I'd do. The Casull SAAMI data far exceeds lever gun pressures at 57,000PSI.

The Casull data in Barnes book has a 2 1/2 thousandth's smaller diameter at the head, with the .460 being 2 thou. smaller - both than the standard for .45 Colt. The .460 has a .002" larger rim - probably not a problem at all.

I don't have any .45 Colt brass that isn't loaded in my 'ctg. sample's' bin, Homer. Actually I only have WW solid head, like yours and Dominion balloon head brass there.

I'll check with my Bro - he might have some RP brass and/or Fed. I or he can weigh.

With the Starline brass being lighter, I'm prety sure they do not have the strength of WW cases - but it depends on the brass thickness, composition & temper at the web & head.

I found the easiest load to check first, was Ross Seyfried's .44 mag pressure duplication loads for the .45 Colt.

I used Hornady bullets. Ross noted that Fed brass were the strongest, but I've a feeling he checked only WW and maybe Starline brass too. Yes - Federal was stronger than those in my testing as well.
I was using Fed brass to get a ground floor base expansion on the back-end-scooped chamber of my M94, it's weakest spot. Too bad they felt they had to build the loading ramp at the rear bottom of the chamber, weakening the chambering at that point. Having a .44 mag pressure line to load to, helped a lot.

After finding that RP brass was stronger yet, I was able to load to it's strength and when switching to W680 powder actually bypassed 1,700fps with both 300 and 340gr. cast bullets.

Recently, while looking for an article for another forum meember, I found someone elses loads for a .45 Colt Winchester that looked very good.

44 mag pressure loads gave 1,584fps with a 300gr. duplicates using W296 powder and is the black powder .45/90 Winchester load. To do that in a .45 Colt case is a wonder in itself, and with safe pressures. Fun gun to plink with, or shoot pigs or camels even, I'll bet. They sure worked well on our Rocky Mountain Elk.

Right this moment, I cannot put my hands on my .45 Colt manual - it's there somewhere in the great mess down below & when I find it, I'll scan it for you, Homer.

Edited:: I can not find my old data - so I removed what I thought were the loads that Ross provided in W296, as they were from memory & might have been in error- and that can be a fleeting thing, sometimes and errors are made. I suggest to use only published data, or that which is carefully worked up by yourself.

NEVER use someone else's maximum loads - NEVER!

--------------------
Daryl

Edited by Daryl_S (10/02/12 04:55 AM)

Homer
.416 member

#201999 - 08/02/12 09:31 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks Sarg!
Yes, next order I put in to the Hornady distributor, I'll get some Hornady .45 Colt and .454 Casull cases, and give them a try. Need to have a look at the 460S&W case dimensions and see what needs to be done to them, to make them work thru the 92 action!

Thanks for that info Daryl!
Whilst I have about 2 pound of Winchester 630, that W 680 really does look the part for the old/New .45Colt!!!
Man, them velocities is fairly smokin! What a power house little cartridge, in such a great (one of my all time favorite) rifle!!!

Thank You to you both again, for that info!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#202015 - 09/02/12 02:36 AM

The 680 is not available any more, unless Hodgdon finds someone to make it for them. Before buying Winchester Olin Powder Mfgr. Hodgdon bought the remaining 3 tons of W680, then re-packaged it as H116. If you find osme, treasure it.

The loads I gave you with that powder, are not up to .44 mag pressures. 1,700fps is easy with 300gr. and W680. W630 is faster burning. Speer's book has some good starting loads for you with that powder. It looks like "Enforcer" Powder might be another good one, if that's available to you.

Brian Pierce did an article on the Trapper model in .45 Colt some time ago. Brian's data is also good. Since I'm running though my Rifle and Handloader mags for the Mosin Nagent to .50 Alaskan article, I'll look his article too and pass it along if I find it.

It's really amazing. In the 16" bl. the .45 Colt actually matches the BP load in the 500/450 #1 Exp - but so far, only with W680 powder. The combination of it's density and burning rate/energy production in that case is what does it.

--------------------
Daryl

JFE
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Vic, Australia
      #202108 - 10/02/12 10:13 AM

45 LC brass is quite strong. I loaded Starline 45LC brass quite heavily in a 454 and it stood up well to high pressure loadings. I think it will come down to how tightly chambered the rifle is.

FYI 454 brass takes a SR primer and a lot of people lament that change as ignition is better with a LP primer. I don't have any experience with 460 brass but they may well have thicker sidewalls which may not make it so attractive to use cut down to 45LC size.

These rifles are quite strong and I think you should be able to get a considerable performance boost compared to factory loads. Just be aware that a steady diet of heavy loads will test how that mag tube is attached and is something to watch.

Homer
.416 member

Re: Winchester 1892 Magazine Capacity? [Re: JFE]
      #202207 - 11/02/12 04:18 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks JFE, for your info on this Rifle/Cartridge combo!
Thank you also for the reminder on the recoil aspect, with this rifle!
I now recall reading something about what Rossi did to reinforce their 92 Puma's, chambered for .454 Casull! Apparently a lot of use and recoil can shear off the forward (just back from the muzzle), magazine cap retention screw! This is the screw (just back from the muzzle),that holds the magazine cap in place. This screw also locates in a small hole in the bottom of the barrel and when the screw shears off and then eventually falls out, the mag Cap and Spring, head off for parts unknown!!!

This rifle has the above mag cap screw and also a hanger that is around 3 3/4" - 95mm back from the muzzle and this has a 1/16" cross pin, that also partially engages thru one side of the mag tube. Not sure if that will help but I will keep an eye on it and the screw.

Not long in from the Funshop and this rifle appears to have a 1 in 28" twist, a 6 groove barrel with a bore groove diameter of 0.451". Daryl, I hope this addresses that question for you.
My hope now, is that this will stabalise the heavier bullets?

Further to this the .45 Colt has a maximum cartridge OAL of 1.600".
With the www.frontierbullets.co.za (RSA) 300grn 0.451" Complete Metal Jacket (CMJ) bullets I plan to shoot through this rifle, seated to the forward edge of the canelure, it has an OAL of 1.650"! The two dummy cartridges I've loaded up, still feed through the mag and into the chamber, as smooth as any 92 Win. Looks like things should be OK!!!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

JFE
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Vic, Australia
      #202220 - 11/02/12 10:21 PM

You shouldnt have any trouble stabilizing 300gr pills in that twist. I have a B-92 in 44 mag with a slow twist (1 in 38") and even that stabilizes 300gr cast pills.

Here's an article you might like to read:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Winchester 1892 Magazine Capacity? [Re: JFE]
      #202246 - 12/02/12 04:00 AM

JFE - that's an excellent article. I save it to my loading folder. TKS. It shows my 44mag pressure .45 Colt loads were right in line and actually a bit softer, probably never over about 30,000 to 32,000 CUP.

The 38" twist .45 Colt I had did shoot well with 300 and even 340gr. Cast bullets - at over 1,700fps using 680 - but, I always worried about bullet stability after impact. My idea was that they're being just barely stable, they'd likely tumble - less so with a 300gr. than the 340gr.

Held hard with both hands, resting the left on a bag, it made many 1 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 meters.

A fun gun to shoot. The 260gr. Speer at 1,960fps made for an interesting load- bear, deer or even moose. The 300gr. HP was my choice for 2 Elk.

--------------------
Daryl

Homer
.416 member

#202277 - 12/02/12 09:11 AM

G'Day JFE and Daryl,

Thank you both for that info, including that attached article, JFE!
I think that was probably the one I read before and had forgotten about.

Looking forward to loading up a few rounds (I need to set up the Dillon 550B first) and putting a few rounds, into the bullet trap. I do this initially, just to work up a Maximum Safe Working Load (MSWL), then head for the range or paddock, to shoot some groups.
I want to get some Hornady 0.451" 300grn XTP Magnum bullets and use them for huntin pork, etc.
I also want to machine up a Scout Type base and fit it into the rear sight dove tail and mount a Trijicon RMR, Leupold small red dot electronic sight.

Thanks again
Doh!
Homer

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5607

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com