Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
333_okh
.275 member

Reged: 24/12/05
Loc: Northern California
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Sarg]
      #198666 - 04/01/12 12:36 PM

Quote:

I was doing some research on Ibex hunts & found a chap on another site who hunts them & look what he has been using !!!

A Mosin !!

I like the ballistics charts on the stock. I used to keep them on a short barreled [16/5"] 308 as well. Thing dropped like a stone past 300 yards.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
333_okh
.275 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: 333_okh]
      #199883 - 18/01/12 03:41 PM

So my ISSUE: I have a Mosin Nagant action made in 1895 by French Chatellerault. I is now an M39 Finn with a fabulous SAKO barrel. NO STOCK.

Where do I go what do I do? NO PLASTIC?

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=493399&d=1324437760

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=493396&d=1324437767

Replacement stocks are in bad shape, and although best in the Mosin line for design, still leaves a lot to be desired, BUT this old girl is 117 years old just like the action of the owner for this thread? Must do it justice.

Bokmal
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/09
Loc: SW Finland
      #199885 - 18/01/12 04:20 PM

333 okh, I think you'll find some quite nice custom stock ideas in this thread. Mosin sporter stocks are available every now and then on eBay, eGun, Richards Microfit, from Finland etc. etc. I once got a really nice Bishop MC for the Mosin from a gentleman in Dallas.

--------------------
Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad...

333_okh
.275 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Bokmal]
      #199970 - 19/01/12 02:42 PM

Quote:

333 okh, I think you'll find some quite nice custom stock ideas in this thread. Mosin sporter stocks are available every now and then on eBay, eGun, Richards Microfit, from Finland etc. etc. I once got a really nice Bishop MC for the Mosin from a gentleman in Dallas.

I am looking for Finnish classic designs for the Mosin or military. I will look over this more.

333_okh
.275 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: lancaster]
      #199972 - 19/01/12 03:01 PM

Quote:

I think it might well be possible to sell the cartridges for 20 euros per round to hardcore cartridge collector's so you did not the best business bokmal
the english labeled box is a mystery, isnt it?

the sako stock for Mosin's also coming

I remember that here is a another pics of an old russian ammo box and its still in russian

the only market for this cartridge was finland so my only explanation is that they make a special "export" box

rare exports, for sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RQlikX4vvw

the 9,3x53R would be a good choice

I am re-reading this whole thread...

Question: Was this a SAKO sporter stock made for Mosin rifles?

Bokmal
.275 member

#199976 - 19/01/12 03:26 PM

Quote:

I am looking for Finnish classic designs for the Mosin or military. I will look over this more.

If you're looking for an original M/39 stock including fittings I can probably help. The Tamarms gun show is coming up in about 1 months time, the Arma Aboa in April. These two are among the best to source Finnish Mosin stuff. A complete stock with all fittings goes for 75 +/- 25 euros (depending on condition and general luck). Up to 200 euros more for an original bayonet. There were over 50,000 M/39 made but only 10,000 bayos...

Quote:

Question: Was this a SAKO sporter stock made for Mosin rifles?

Yes. Sako factory sporterized Mosins for a few years immediately post war in the calibers 5.6x53R, 6.3x53R, 7x53R, 7.62x53R, 8.2x53R and 9,3x53R. Sako factory ammo for all these were made with the 8.2 and 9.3 still available.

Sako had a couple of designs for civilian sporter stocks, Lancasters example is a late 1940ies model.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #199989 - 19/01/12 06:28 PM

btw, the stock looks a little bit different now. I remove the thick varnish and make it a little bit more classic. good example why not having varnish on a gunstock. wet was coming in the wood, and it will allways find the way, and "blue" it a little bit.

when the barreled action is in the stock I will trim the forearm much more.

because there was a small crack I make a special screw that goes through the rear part( macking it unbreakable as I hope). the rear action screw will be drilled through the head of this stock screw.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (23/01/12 12:38 AM)

333_okh
.275 member

#200120 - 20/01/12 04:29 PM

I have one person locally that has a new never issued m39 stock. I was going to have his duplicated. That SAKO stock I like. ARGH...this get so confusing...my custom was even easier!

Cashman
.224 member

Reged: 21/01/12
Loc: Finland
      #200245 - 22/01/12 05:06 AM

Might not be the best sporting rifle project but…

My new found friend "Bokmal" asked me to post this... so blame him if this sucks...

It all started as a joke… My friend and I were playing around with the thought of making a “big game rifle” based on a Mosin Nagant. My friend is a Mosin collector and has a vast knowledge in this excellent piece of machinery. The idea was to create an ideal weapon for elk hunting in Finland. Both of us are hunting in areas thick with vegetation and quite short shooting distances. We decided on the .458 as the bullet diameter. We had considered both .45-70Gmnt and .450Marlin, but both would have required a lot of work on both bolt and action. The caliber, for our project, would become .45x54R and be based on the 7,62x53R. This meant that we wouldn´t have to do any changes on the bolt, only the magazine body.

This caliber, was no new invention, because there have been guns registered in Finland in calibers that are very similar to ours. For example 11,6x55R made by Erkki Maekinen and .458x53R Gunhill made by Jarmo Kauppinen. I´m sure, that other similar calibers exist. Maekinen used an old Arisaka model 30 as base and Kauppinen the “Russian” Winchester model 1895. As Maekinen´s 11,6x55R, also our .45x54R, was to be made using case-blanks from Sako. These Sako case-blanks where marked 12,4x55R and picked out of the production line before they would be necked down to 7,62x53R . Ours would be shortened to 54mm. Kauppinen used both Sako case-blanks and 9,3x53R caliber cases which he necked up to fit a .458 bullet. Reloading of brass, would be done using 45-70Gvmnt reloading dies.

The idea was to get the same effect out of our caliber as from the hottest .45-70Gvmnt loads. This is certainly possible because the parent case 7,62x53R tolerates higher pressure than the .45-70Gvmnt, even though the .45-70Gvmnt case has a volume advantage of 3%. Testing in this matter is still on-going, but the little testing we have done, suggests that .45x54R is a very potential caliber. So far I have been able to get 2200fps from a 300grain Hornady Interlock HP bullet, without any pressure indications what so ever. This is more than enough to kill anything one might encounter in the Finnish forest. One of the advantages, compared with the .45-70, is that we don´t have to seat the heavier bullets all the way to the crimp-groove, thus leaving more room for gunpowder.

(From left to right: 400gr Remington CoreLokt modified to RN, Hornady 300gr HP modified to Semi-SPTZ, an expanded 9,3x53R case with a H&N 300gr)

Enough about the caliber... more about the gun…

My friend bought a box of Finnish Mosin Nagant parts from a gunfair in Tampere. That box included the bolt, reciever and magazine body and it only cost 60euros. My friend already had a complete reciever with parts for himself. He also found a second hand .458 barrel from a 45-90 black powder rifle for himself. I found my barrel on-line on a website for hunters in Finland. It was a new barrel made by Erkki Maekinen. Both barrels have the same 16´ twist, but my friend has a longer (barrel!!)…

I modified my magazine body simply by cutting it open and straightening out the grooves for the shoulder and expanding it in the front end. Then all was welded together by a professional welder. The magazine body now fits 4 bullets and one can empty it the normal way, by opening the floorplate. The magazine body was sandblasted, to get rid of old tool marks and scratches and finally blued.

The barrel and other parts were sent to a gunsmith, Alpo Tapper, in Lannevesi near Jyvaeskylae in Finland. Alpo also made the reamer for the .45x54R. The headspace gauges are the same for the 7,62x53R, so he didn´t have to worry about them. He modified the bolt handle to look like it was from a TAK-85 and also made a ring safety cocking knob. The side-mount with a weaver rail he machined from a piece of metal. This is his design and is firmly attached with two hefty screws. This design makes the otherwise “soft” Mosin receiver a little bit steadier, improving accuracy, not that it much matters in a caliber like this.

After a mandatory test-shooting in Riihimaeki (at the old Sako factory where the police test-shooting lab is), I finally got all the pieces home and could start putting everything together. By that time I had also received the stock I had ordered from Boyd´s Gunstocks. It took me quite a lot of elbow grease and a lot of sandpaper, to get the barrel to fit the stock that was made to fit an original Mosin in caliber 7,62x53R. I finally got it fitted though. A mounted a Tikka Pro Gold 1,75-6x22 on it with a pair of Quick-Site weaver rings and was itching for a test shoot…

After the test shoot I ended up fixing the stock and fitting a proper recoil plate in the stock. That because the stock split in half just after 10 shots. This is fixed now and I´ve also made proper bedding with Acraglass Gel. The stock splitting could have been avoided, but when you have an itch… you just have to scratch…

This one might kick like a mule, but is still very nice to shoot. Much softer recoil, i might add, than the 9,3x53R Finnish!!!

Edited by CptCurl (23/01/12 12:43 AM)

Bokmal
.275 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Cashman]
      #200249 - 22/01/12 05:22 AM

Welcome to our merry bunch of Mosinistas, DCCGS!
Thanks for sharing!

--------------------

Cashman
.224 member

#200252 - 22/01/12 05:36 AM

Don´t mention it... You´re to blame for it...

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
      #200264 - 22/01/12 10:24 AM

Welcome to forum, Mr Cashman ! There is never too many who likes custom Mosins.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Cashman
.224 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Igorrock]
      #200302 - 22/01/12 07:06 PM

Yes about that... the username "cashman" was taken or otherwise not allowed, that´s why DCCGS..

Cashman
.224 member

#200313 - 22/01/12 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I´ll just jump right in and start barking out advises..

The problem with the customized sporter stocks made to fit a Mosin, is that they are hard to come by. When you find one, the owner knows it´s value and doesn´t want to sell it or wants a ridiculous price for it or only sell the whole gun and not only the stock.

Sako spoterized some Mosins (I have one in 8,2x53R… I´ll try to find a picture) and they are very good and of high quality, but next to impossible to find second hand. No one in their right mind would part from one and put a piece of plastic instead…

I´ve also seen lots of different types of handmade target rifle stocks for sale, but most are useless for hunting purposes…

If I was to start a Mosin project in an original caliber, I would buy one of these: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/BOYDS-CLASSIC-MOSIN-NAGANT-p/200-358.htm ... and then modify it to look like it was made by Sako… or whatever. The inletting is the hardest part and this way one wouldn´t have to spend a lot of lime on it…

Just an idea...

lancaster
.470 member

#200330 - 23/01/12 02:37 AM

hello cashman

nice to see the biggest version now

"This caliber, was no new invention, because there have been guns registered in Finland in calibers that are very similar to ours. For example 11,6x55R made by Erkki Maekinen and .458x53R Gunhill made by Jarmo Kauppinen. I´m sure, that other similar calibers exist. Maekinen used an old Arisaka model 30 as base and Kauppinen the “Russian” Winchester model 1895. As Maekinen´s 11,6x55R, also our .45x54R, was to be made using case-blanks from Sako. These Sako case-blanks where marked 12,4x55R and picked out of the production line before they would be necked down to 7,62x53R . Ours would be shortened to 54mm. Kauppinen used both Sako case-blanks and 9,3x53R caliber cases which he necked up to fit a .458 bullet. Reloading of brass, would be done using 45-70Gvmnt reloading dies."

did I understand right that the sako brass is headstamped 12,4x55R? never heard or see this before. was it ever an "official" brass case. iirc Norma had sold once 30 06 basic brass that was cylindrical. a good idea if you have a 10,75x57 but unfortunately not available anymore. would like to have one of this basis brass cases for my small collection.
will this case also accept a .475 diameter bullet?

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (23/01/12 02:37 AM)

Cashman
.224 member

#200334 - 23/01/12 03:52 AM

Quote:

hello cashman

did I understand right that the sako brass is headstamped 12,4x55R? never heard or see this before. was it ever an "official" brass case...
will this case also accept a .475 diameter bullet?

Now, when I read my own text, I understand why you would think that...
Sorry if I explained it poorly. The BOX, that the cases come, in is stamped with 12,4x55R, NOT the case itself. The case has only the Sako stamp and is otherwise plain. It has never been an official case.

Lapua made an even longer version they used for the “12x75R squirrel shotgun” but haven´t made them for a while. Igorrock might know more about that since (if I remember correctly) he shot his first squirrel with one of those shotguns. Don´t know if that was an official caliber either. There were quite a few shotguns made from Mosins after the war.

Whether this case can be fitted with a .475 bullet, I don´t know, but it would be quite a straight cartridge and thus hard to get to work properly in a bolt action rifle. I´m only guessing though…

I have found an official source that can provide me with a few more cases, but after that I´m sad to say, that even I have to start using expanded 9,3x53R cases. Neither Sako nor Lapua makes them anymore, but there are still lots of them around.

lancaster
.470 member

#200344 - 23/01/12 05:14 AM

I am familar with the 12x75R shotgun cartridge concept.
understand that someone grab this brass you mentioned out of the factory like the primed 22 lr cases you find sometimes.

you would be to short with 9,3x53R brass open up to .458 but you will allready know this. two weeks ago I was making 10,75x52R brass from 8x56R and 53mm was the maximum left over from the 56mm it starts. I am dare to say you would not get more than 51mm from a x53R case.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (23/01/12 10:42 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

#200348 - 23/01/12 06:32 AM

Quote:

he shot his first squirrel with one of those shotguns.

Actually, there was no squirrels, at age of fifteen I shot first two of my wood grouses with 12,0x75 mm Mosin shotgun :-)

This Mosin was made by Westinghouse factory in USA, modified to shotgun after II WW in Jyväskylä, maybe in Tourula factory. LAPUA factory made these cases shortly after wartime.

Nowadays this Shotgun is in The Hunting Museum of Finland, Riihimäki.

--------------------

Cashman
.224 member

#200349 - 23/01/12 06:51 AM

Quote:

I am familar with the 12x75R shotgun cartridge concept.
understand that someone grab this brass you mentioned out of the factory like the primed 22 lr cases you find sometimes.

you would be to short with 9,3x53R brass open up to .458 but you will allready know this. two weeks ago I was making 10,75x52R brass from 8x56R and 53mm was the maximum left over from the 56mm it starts. I am dare to say you would not get more than 51mm from a x53R case.

If I would start with an 8,2x53R or a 7,62x53R that would certainly be the case. I´ve already made some 30 of .45x54R (52R) cases out of 9,3x53R cases and the medium length is closer to 52 than 51. This doesn´t matter since that is long enough and works for practice shots... After them firing the first time, the cases had fireformed and “grown” additionally a few tenths of a millimeter.

You are right they are not 52mm, but let´s not split hears. The actual “trim-to-length” for the .45x54R is 53,8mm, but I still call it an x54R.

Regarding the grabbing of brass from the production line. I don´t know how it´s done, but I know that who-ever does it, does it with the permission from Sako and with good intentions... I wrote to Norma and Lapua to ask if they could help us. Norma replied shortly "No" and Lapua I haven´t heard from since. Mayde I asked the wrong person at Lapua.

A small private company in Germany offered to help me make cases from scratch, but I would have had to order by the thousands… The price wasn´t too bad though… http://www.huelsen-horneber.de/rechts_engl.html.

Edited by DCCGS (23/01/12 07:06 AM)

Cashman
.224 member

#200351 - 23/01/12 06:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

he shot his first squirrel with one of those shotguns.

Actually, there was no squirrels, at age of fifteen I shot first two of my wood grouses with 12,0x75 mm Mosin shotgun :-)

This Mosin was made by Westinghouse factory in USA, modified to shotgun after II WW in Jyväskylä, maybe in Tourula factory. LAPUA factory made these cases shortly after wartime.

Nowadays this Shotgun is in The Hunting Museum of Finland, Riihimäki.

OK... Squirrels schqirrels... close enough!! It was something up high and flying or something..

lancaster
.470 member

#200934 - 29/01/12 01:14 AM

still waiting for the end of february I working on my Sako stock. it came with plastic caps on butt end and pistol grip and I managed to get replacement parts.
the butt plate was without a question

polished steal is allways correct and it can start now ageing and patinate

for the pistol grip I got an old( maybe pre WW 1)blank cap pressed from horn. nice matrial to work with am I in the end a little bit in doubt about the thickness of the cap. do you think its to thick now as it is??? should I reduce the thickness of the cap for maybe the half?

#

dont worry about the srews

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (12/03/12 09:39 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

#200955 - 29/01/12 06:55 AM

"should I reduce the thickness of the cap for maybe the half?"

I would take away about 2 mm. In my eyes the buttplate seems to be a little bit too small. Maybe you will modify the butt end ?

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #200963 - 29/01/12 08:27 AM

Some years ago, in the 90's, a fellow re-barreled or re-bored a 7.62X54R and chambered it for the .50 Alaskan. He wrote it up in Precision Shooting. It was a light rifle due to the thin barrel walls, and of course a 450gr. bullet at over 2,000fps kicked quite a lot in the 7 pound rifle. I've still got the article, somewhere if anyone's interested.

BTW - same rim diameter as a .45/70, but of course, uses a straighted .348 WW case.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Cashman
.224 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: DarylS]
      #201068 - 30/01/12 04:15 AM

Quote:

... I've still got the article, somewhere if anyone's interested.

I would be very happy if i could read this article. So yes please, I´m interested indeed..

Bokmal
.275 member

#201073 - 30/01/12 05:27 AM

Quote:

I would be very happy if i could read this article. So yes please, I´m interested indeed..

Ditto!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 489715

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com