Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: kuduae]
      #151115 - 19/01/10 08:48 AM

Yes I know that. I have seen somewhere in net very good pictures where HAENEL M1900's magazine has dismounted.
I just send link to that picture for idea m88 with hidden magazine.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bokmal
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/09
Loc: SW Finland
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: lancaster]
      #152601 - 02/02/10 06:35 PM

Quote:

I hope to update this thread from time to time

Come on, Lancaster! We are all eagerly waiting for more!

--------------------
Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad...

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Bokmal]
      #152622 - 03/02/10 01:51 AM

I am very sorry bokmal, my gunmaker, who must made some works on the rifle(the gunlaw, you know?) was becoming ill on new years day and isnt on his feets till now.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

lancaster
.470 member

#154744 - 25/02/10 06:32 AM

Have now make the last thing before the gunmaker can start his work. The barrel was coming with the wrong receiver from finnland. It was clear for me that a classic mosin sporter must have a hexagonal receiver. The russian’s have change produduction from hex to round in 1935/36 and the1938 dated round receiver with 3 different damage’s have to go.
The first one trying to unscrew the receiver was the gunmaker who was making the import for me. Because he wasn’t successful I was also trying this at home, nothing!
Last week I visit another gunmaker in my area and we try this with 3 man’s in his shop. The receiver doesn’t turn one milimeter. The gunmaker is giving such problems to a mechanic where the barrel can be fixed in a very big lathe. He was told me that this guy once unsrew a mauser receiver from the barrel that was fixed with an invisible welding point.
And in this way the old receiver was unsrewed in the end.

You see the traces from the three-jaw chuck on the barrel, the receiver was heatet, hammered und turn with brutal force

russian military stuff isn’t known for his well finish surface, need some hour’s to polish the barrel

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/03/10 11:16 PM)

Bokmal
.275 member

#154748 - 25/02/10 06:58 AM

Good that it finally came loose, this was becoming embarrasing... I never realized the barrel was that firmly mated to the receiver.

But, on with the show. We can now hope for more updates, nicht wahr?

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#154750 - 25/02/10 07:14 AM

sorry bokmal, no updates before april I fear, have to wait that the old master will be becoming healthy again. did I understand it rigth that you were figthing with this beast in finnland before and lost?
is it common for mosin barrels to being srew so strong?
have talk with the proof house in Suhl about this today. my plan was to send the barreled action first to the proof and start then with the stock when its back. the metallwork is than complete but in the white and I can finish the stock/action without problems.
but the proof house need some kind of stock to fix the rifle when fire. so I will make a rough " proof stock" just for this moment.

--------------------

Bokmal
.275 member

#154752 - 25/02/10 07:28 AM

Ok, we'll have to wait. Sigh...

Nope, I never tampered with the barrel and receiver when I had them here. The 9,3 barrel was obviously mated to the receiver sometimes post war in Finland (as the receiver is war booty). Why it would have been so 'permanently fixed' by some gunsmith I have no idea.

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #154754 - 25/02/10 07:43 AM

What a timely post , I just yesterday was taking the barrel off a VZ33 8X57 & almost screwed the action into , a hard fight all the way , well it turned out it had been drilled & tapped at some time INTO the barrel from the front ring & then some Wally had welded it up to cover the screw holes , as the rifle is in full military trim I never thought of that until after i saw the damged treads !

Thank you guys for another great tread !

Cheers

lancaster
.470 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Sarg]
      #154793 - 25/02/10 06:23 PM

can you use the parts or is it all for scrap box now?

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #154795 - 25/02/10 06:39 PM

I dont twist the action , just pushed the screws up through the welds & damaged the barrel threads a bit , I used a thread chasing file to repair barrel treads & will tig up holes & reblue !

Just being lazy , should have taken it out of the barrel vise & checked why it was so tight !

Its a pain to get into the vise & bolt on the action wrench .

lancaster
.470 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: Sarg]
      #157448 - 25/03/10 08:16 PM

I talked with the proof house in Suhl if they need a stock for proofing a rifle and yes they need something like that for the the two shoots to made.
because my plan is to let the gunmaker screw the barrel into the action, control headspace, maybe solder the sigth's on the barrel and than make the proof before more work is involved I made a cheap "proof" stock. it was in all a good idea because the mosin action is a little bit tricky and I had the chance to make some small mistake's. if the action is in the stock you can see much better where wood can be left next time.
so mill the walnut stock now was maybe not fun but I was knowing that its the right way.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (28/03/10 01:30 AM)

lancaster
.470 member

#169044 - 06/10/10 06:06 AM

I have got an 9,3x53R Sako box from Finland which was a big surprise. Bokmal found it for me in the shop of an old gunmaker.
Seems to be like any other Sako box but the cartridges have the headstamp "Lapua 9,3x53R". I can only assume that Sako and Lapua had have very close relation's in this time and Lapua was making brass for Sako because of some reason's. It don't look like the cartridge's were not original in this box. Only real difference to Sako headstamp cartridge's is a heavy crimp and annealed brass.

again the ballistic twins 9,3x53R and 9,3x57 side by side
same powder load, bullet and velocity

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (07/10/10 10:42 AM)

Bokmal
.275 member

#169047 - 06/10/10 06:47 AM

Quote:

I have got an 9,3x53R Sako box from Finland which was a big surprise. Bokmal found it for me in the shop of an old gunmaker.

According to my wife I'm like a happy Truffles Pig when I get to burrow through old ammo boxes, odd stampings on receivers and other wonderful useless data...
Happy you like it!

--------------------

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
      #169360 - 11/10/10 04:59 PM

Lancaster, once again a very impressive post about the 9.3x57R. The question remains, will you have to open up the front part of the moisin magazine to accomodate the larger bullet. and if so please post the how-to's as to how its done. There was an article in the gun digest some years back that described some of the different cartridges that were developed using the 7.62x54R case as the basis.
Your rifle would make a good piggy rifle here in the south. Lotta piggy's running around causing a lot of damage. Thanks again, Frank And keep the updated comeing. Frank

Bokmal
.275 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: FrankS]
      #169369 - 11/10/10 06:13 PM

The M-N mag does need to have it's front opened up to accomodate the 9.3 mm bullets. I don't have a how-to for how this should be done, but here is the end result as done by my local gunsmith.

Edited by CptCurl (11/10/10 10:23 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#169386 - 12/10/10 06:18 AM

it was my impression that a little work with a file will be enough to make the 9,3x53R working into the mag of my action.
the bullet itself fit's but the case neck needs more space. how it end's with this project is only a question of time and patience.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #169391 - 12/10/10 01:31 PM

lancaster;

I can't speak for the filing, but I know of some that are hammered to fit.

I'm not sure if a mandrel of some kind is used?

This is really quite a wonderful project. I've long wanted a 9,3x53R but will likely have to enjoy the concept vicariously thru yours. I do have the duplicator of ballistics in the 9,3x57 with which I am, so far this year unsucessfully, chasing elk.

Keep posting.

I can't wait to see the whole thing; lock, stock and barrel.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: 9.3x57]
      #169445 - 13/10/10 04:59 AM

Good thread & project - lancaster, did you file the OCTAGONAL flats on the action, or find a sporter? I wasn't clear on that.
Hex is 6 sides with points on two opposing joints of flats whereas octagonal had 8 sides - flats all the way around - or interupted as on an action.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lancaster
.470 member

Re: The best Mosin sporting rifle project in world history [Re: DarylS]
      #169465 - 13/10/10 02:36 PM

this is the original form of a Mosin action and was changed to round receiver's in 1935/36 to make production cheaper. but I understand what you mean. this is a "look alike" octagonal receiver when it is in the stock. the invisible half is not worked this way so you will only have six side's around where 2 side's are not flat but rounded. so the common name for old receiver is "Hex".

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#174019 - 25/01/11 01:47 AM

My mosin project is not under a good star but patience is rewarded in the end. two days after the parts had arrived my old gunsmith got a heart attack and he is still bad.
He has not really been able to start working and I think about it to bring the parts to another gunmaker and hand over the work. Not real good style after all these years he has worked for me.

To keep the story alive I will show some pics that belong to this project. Last summer I visit an older gentleman here and asked him if he can make a Mannlicher Schönauer claw mount part for me. He had in the past often made such things for me because he has the machinery.
Coming into his living room to discuss the work with him finding trophies there lost long time ago as I believed. They belonged once to a German who had a farm in Togo before WW 1 and died in the 1950s.
. This man, a friend of my grandfather was known here under the nick name” ape hunter”.
A Phyton skin and the saw of a sawfish also survive the change of times.

My grandmother had have a big sea shell from this old farmer together with an cowry shell as a pair in the porcelain cupboard when I was a child. The African sea shell does not come to me but the cowry which is one of the things my great-grandfather was bringing back from the boxer rebellion in china in 1900.

Here with the ivory I have from him, maybe a cap for a rifle stock and gribs for a Walther TPH in the future.

So many things ended on the dump after the last war. My father is remembering another house here, the walls full with different African trophy’s and native arms.

Must be a priceless fun to load the peta guy’s to dinner having the chimp standing beside the table and make Norwegian steak’s with Chianti wine.

Anyone here having an idea what the chimpanzee will be worth today if its possible to get the CITES papers for it? The owner told me that the trophy is filled with old newspapers from before WW 1.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (13/02/11 11:40 PM)

Bokmal
.275 member

#174193 - 27/01/11 12:43 AM

Quote:

Seems to be like any other Sako box but the cartridges have the headstamp "Lapua 9,3x53R". I can only assume that Sako and Lapua had have very close relation's in this time and Lapua was making brass for Sako because of some reason's.

I've done some checking and Lapua did load ammo for Sako for a long time. Exactly when this ceased I do not (yet) know, but I have some Sako boxed 6,3x53R and 6,5x52R from the 1960'ies, all with Lapua stamped on the cases.

That Chimp reminds me of someone...??? ... could be some of the rap artists my godson listens to... they also seem to have a fondness for grabbing their balls in public...

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#174204 - 27/01/11 04:06 AM

"That Chimp reminds me of someone...??? ... could be some of the rap artists my godson listens to... they also seem to have a fondness for grabbing their balls in public... "

this was a good one

if the matter once seriously considered it must be said that the ape holds his hand seemingly random before the balls. it all looks very natural and is really a very clever solution from the taxidermist. We must remember that in the year 1910 99% of all people never hear the dirty F word in public. And a husbands do not have the wife kissed in front of the children.
if the taxidermist do not want to give the ape a fig leaf in the hand to hold it before the balls he had to bring the hand in this position.

I will definitely have an eye on the ape, it is one of the things you no longer can buy for money.

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (27/01/11 05:01 AM)

FrankS
.300 member

#174446 - 30/01/11 05:48 PM

Bokmal, thanks for the picture of how the moisin magazine was altered to take the 9.3 cartridge. Its very much appreciated. Thanks Frank

FrankS
.300 member

#174447 - 30/01/11 05:57 PM

lancaster, sorry to hear that your gunsmith had a heart attack. Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.
Somehow going through all the trials and tribulations will look like a bump in the road when you finally get to shoot your rifle. Interesting snake skin. I live in Louisiana and we do get some big snakes here. I have a shed out back where I keep the gardening tools,opened it up and a water moccasin must have went there to shed his skin. Good thing he wasn't there. They are poisinous and the nearest hospital is about 30 minutes away. That skin looks to have come from a rather large snake.
Keep the faith and hopefully one day soon we will all share with you your 9.3x53R moisin rifle. Regards, Frank

lancaster
.470 member

#174468 - 31/01/11 03:41 AM

well, he is over seventy now but until he got this heart attack there was never a problem with him.
wish him the best.
it is very easy to hunt such a big phyton! only thing you need is a rigth feet and patience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzR-L9WzEYI

being in contakt with cartridge collectors but till now I was not able to get only one of the russian cartridges.
this is my newest find in the www

the old LVE box, the cartridge is looking like a brass case or brass plated steel case???

the new LVE ammo

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (13/02/11 11:41 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 489852

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com