Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles
      #103002 - 20/04/08 07:03 PM

These look exquisite. Has anyone dealt with Luxus Walnut stocks?

http://www.patsluxuscooper.com/html/body_gibbs.html

Edited by CptCurl to display photos and text of linked site:

Quote:

Gibbs Farquharsons

Photos are of two Gibbs actions which are the basis for the 450 -400 completed rifle and the .303 rifle still in process. The actions were supplied by Darwin Hensley . The metal work by Ralf Martini, Martini & Hagn ltd. The stock work by Trez Hensley , Darwins son. The metal finishing By Dave Norin and engraving on barrel,gripcap and sling base by Jerome Glimm.

I want to thank all those who brought this project to completion .

Edited by CptCurl (29/12/08 12:36 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles [Re: Nakihunter]
      #103005 - 20/04/08 08:52 PM

I have spoken to them several times. Seem knowledgeable, nice, but we didn't do business at the time as work was in progress and not yet for sale. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Anonymous
Unregistered

#103018 - 21/04/08 04:10 AM

Quote:

These look exquisite. Has anyone dealt with Luxus Walnut stocks?

http://www.patsluxuscooper.com/html/body_gibbs.html

They seem nice, never dealt with them though. I did call on these guns when I saw them. I was told they are in the white, and awaiting finish work. Asking will be around $45,000.00 I was told, that's after they hit the show circuit to promote there company of course.

Farquharson actions are very strong, and work flawlessly. I never got used to the lines on them though. There an acquired taste, similar to my 599 GTB F1.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles [Re: ]
      #103032 - 21/04/08 10:57 AM

That's a dark variarion in Bastone, isn' it? Nice dense wood if it is.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

dnovo
.333 member

#103074 - 21/04/08 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Farquharson actions are very strong, and work flawlessly. I never got used to the lines on them though. There an acquired taste, similar to my 599 GTB F1.

Ah yes, an acquired taste like the 1965 Ford Fairlane POS I used to own. Gave it up, just too ostentatious for the neighborhood, were everyone else took the bus. However, it had a much larger trunk than the McLaren F1 I replaced it with. So nice for hauling my covey of Purdeys, Holland & Holland, and Rigbys to my private shooting lodge where my 'man' would reload for me. Of course I let him drive the Roller to haul the trailer with the guns, the tables and linen, and the post-shooting Dom Perignon. I must give those up too one day, wouldn't want to be thought of as too showy on the forums, you know, eh what? Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles [Re: DarylS]
      #103092 - 22/04/08 12:15 AM

Looks like a couple of nice pieces of Turkish walnut to me. Lovely set of guns to be sure.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles [Re: dnovo]
      #103099 - 22/04/08 12:42 AM

Ok boys - no more "top trumps"!! We all know that a Gibbs-Farquaharson tops a Ferrari or McLaren, even if they don't have the most graceful lines in the rifle world!...

Maybe not a Veyron though!!

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #103100 - 22/04/08 12:44 AM

dave

i dont get your last remark, i do the range rover, large estate owner old boys club shoots. as well as rough shooting, naked in my wellies, with a rabbit eared russian SxS. i dont envy anybody there toys, as i am pleased if somebody is doing good for themselfs, and i think that is one of the reasons why i get invited to the shoots.

you might think 600 is showing off because he ot a 599 gtb f1(600 what the heck is that) i think that if that is a special toy, good for him. it sounds like a sports car. in wich case it would be poor form to show up at the shoot in that.

pissing contests, player hate and below the belt remarks, all belong at accurate reloading. around here we should act like the gentlemen we are.

best regards

peter

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles [Re: peter]
      #103101 - 22/04/08 12:49 AM

Peter,

Your a class act my friend thank you. I was trying to make a funny comparison to my weird looking sports car, and got thrown under the bus (again).

Thank you for your friendship brother.

peter
removed

#103103 - 22/04/08 01:04 AM

oh a sports car

nobody brings them to the shoots, there is a real danger that somebody might park the land rover on top of them.

best regards

peter

peter
removed

#103107 - 22/04/08 01:21 AM

i just googled the car, your taste in guns are impeccable, but you are somewhat lacking in the cars department . looks like a fun drive though.

best regards

peter

Edited by peter (22/04/08 01:48 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#103108 - 22/04/08 01:30 AM

Quote:

i just googled the car, your taste in guns are impecable, but you are somewhat lacking in the cars department . looks like a fun drive though.

best regards

peter

It's an acquired taste.

P.S. Watch your spelling errors, that can get you in real trouble too.

peter
removed

#103113 - 22/04/08 01:51 AM

i do have a way of getting into truble even without the spelling, but i think i have edited it now

peter

dnovo
.333 member

#103114 - 22/04/08 01:52 AM

Quote:

dave

i dont get your last remark, i do the range rover, large estate owner old boys club shoots. as well as rough shooting, naked in my wellies, with a rabbit eared russian SxS. i dont envy anybody there toys, as i am pleased if somebody is doing good for themselfs, and i think that is one of the reasons why i get invited to the shoots.

you might think 600 is showing off because he ot a 599 gtb f1(600 what the heck is that) i think that if that is a special toy, good for him. it sounds like a sports car. in wich case it would be poor form to show up at the shoot in that.

pissing contests, player hate and below the belt remarks, all belong at accurate reloading. around here we should act like the gentlemen we are.

best regards

peter

Good grief, I can't even kid Death a bit? Obviously I was kidding him, and if he couldn't figure that out, and if he wants to complain now about being 'thrown under the bus' then you guys are too damn sensitive about anything that might offend ole Death. Or he is. Or both.

Do I care about the 599? No, drove one when they came out through LFSC, a lifelong friend and ex-racing buddy. They are very nice cars, and I think a lot more collectable and fun to drive than the current V8 models. If I was still into modern exotics, I'd go with a 12 cycl Ferrari, not a Lambo ot the other NBA/NFL players cars for overpaid muscle brains.

Death had good taste in cars. I undertand that as I did the exotic car bit years ago. Do a Google and you will see the tests of several very exotic Ferrari and ex-race types I owned and gave to magazines to test as well as a write up oin the shop we ran in the late 80s doing restoration work. I used to get kidded on several forums about pissing away too much money on exotic cars. Most of us there had -- and still do -- have a sense of humor, something that seems seriously lacking here. We kid the hell out of each other. Not a bad example for this forum, I might add.

Death. Enjoy your cars. Enjoy your guns. Everyone take a chill pill. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #103150 - 22/04/08 10:55 AM

Anyone own a Vincent motorcycle? I used to own a Matchless 350cc. I would rather own 50 nice double rifles before I get a fancy sports car!

I can dream can't I?

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

starwars
.275 member

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: California
      #103159 - 22/04/08 11:37 AM

Quote:

Anyone own a Vincent motorcycle? I used to own a Matchless 350cc. I would rather own 50 nice double rifles before I get a fancy sports car!

I can dream can't I?

No bikes for me of course I am 68-and old-and tired. I think the members above own a lot more than 50 nice double rifles already. Of course we all can't be gifted and over paid. I am still waiting for my wife to give me back the keys to my mbz! Its only been 17 years since she took them from me. So I bought a helicopter and that fixed that. Haha!

--------------------
Richard

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles [Re: starwars]
      #103182 - 22/04/08 01:52 PM

Funny how many folks into doubles are also interested in other machines such as cars and cycles.
Bet DB600 wears a Patek too!
I, myself, have had the cycle bug for a long time. Roadraced for a while and still have a 250 Honda GP bike, but have slowed as I've grown older...
Now I ride a proper cycle - 1924 Indian Scout.
Now I just need a sidecar to carry my doubles!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by Huvius (22/04/08 02:34 PM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles [Re: Huvius]
      #103193 - 22/04/08 07:14 PM

Quote:

Funny how many folks into doubles are also interested in other machines

Do lawnmowers count?
Mine's 25years+ and still perfect for annoying the neighbours and church on sunday mornings!!

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #103201 - 22/04/08 10:11 PM

Hey Death and Dnovo ... I saw the humour in both of your posts and thought it was just that..... humour.

Good natured kidding and very funny stuff I might add!

By the way Death....nice ride! beats the hell out of what I get around in.... a '59 TR3 that leaks like a stuck swine and handles like a coffee table.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

dnovo
.333 member

#103208 - 22/04/08 10:34 PM

Quote:

I can dream can't I?

Vincents have become the Purdey/Hollands of motorcycles. A pristine Black Shadow just sold for $75,000 at a private sale, and a Comet (single cycl and slow) sold for $40,000. Stupid money. I rode a Black Shadow as an exchange student in England in the early 60s. Evil handling, balky to start. They have become 'keep em, don't ride em' investor bikes in what is now a very hot market.

I currently deal/collect in vintage bikes. I have a very nice Matchless G80cs, 500cc single. My favorite British single is a toss up between my 1956 BSA Goldstar and the 1967 Velocette Thruxton. Both 500cc classic British singles, i.e. hard to start, long first gear, fabulous handling and feel.

Motorcycles, like DRs, are an addiction. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

dnovo
.333 member

#103212 - 22/04/08 10:43 PM

Quote:

Funny how many folks into doubles are also interested in other machines such as cars and cycles.
Bet DB600 wears a Patek too!
I, myself, have had the cycle bug for a long time. Roadraced for a while and still have a 250 Honda GP bike, but have slowed as I've grown older...
Now I ride a proper cycle - 1924 Indian Scout.
Now I just need a sidecar to carry my doubles!

I have a nice 1943 ex-Wehrmacht BMW R75 with sidecar and deactivated MG34 I could get for you relatively cheap. Just the thing for an early Sunday jaunt. The presence of the machine gun in front of the passenger will make sure they clear a way ahead of you.

And, if you want to get back into racing, I have a very nicely set up Norton Manx that I had out at Elkhart Lake late last year. Not cheap, but an appreciating asset, or so you can tell your wife. (Didn't work with mine, but perhaps your luck will be better.) Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Pair of Gibbs/Medford Farquharson Rifles [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #103213 - 22/04/08 10:46 PM

Quote:

Hey Death and Dnovo ... I saw the humour in both of your posts and thought it was just that..... humour.

Good natured kidding and very funny stuff I might add!

By the way Death....nice ride! beats the hell out of what I get around in.... a '59 TR3 that leaks like a stuck swine and handles like a coffee table.

DT

Don't knock that TR3. They are very collectable now and, in decent condition, bring good money. Of course I always liked the fact that the scalloped doors let you dangle your fingers on the pavement out the door when you were sitting at a light. Not many cars that would let you do that.

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #103221 - 22/04/08 11:29 PM

Well, it is easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission!
The Manx may be my favorite single racer of all - that or a Gilera Saturno.
The Vincents aren't even good looking bikes in my opinion.
The next bike I really want is a 1917 Henderson four or an Excelsior twin.
Unfortunately, the Hendersons are stratospheric in price now too.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

dnovo
.333 member

#103224 - 22/04/08 11:49 PM

I still (at 60) like to ride my sportbikes (I have been collecting Bimotas since I got my license, and have too damn many, but it is like popcorn, who can stop at one)on a nice day on the street. This old fart still gets out with the kids at track events too. My current 'fun ride' on the track is a Honda NSR 150, simple to maintain single cyl and plenty fast even around a long track like Elkhart. Plus if it goes bang (as race bikes do from time to time) it can be fixed fast and with parts that are readily available as the engine finds use in their dirt bikes and hop up parts and big bore kits are affordable and I can do a complete rebuild in my shop in an afternoon. Screw maturity, as Peter Pan said, I'm not ever gonna grow up!!!! Save

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #103231 - 23/04/08 12:26 AM

Well I know that this thread has wondered considerably but what the hell,,, I'm not a huge fan of bikes since I owned a 500 Kawisaki triple 2 stroke and almost bought the farm twice in the same summer due to cars "not seeing me" (try checking your mirrors in advance of changing lanes you dumb ^$^($^(!@).
At any rate, some of you guys may know of a British song writer by the name of Richard Thompson....check out his song called "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" it's a cool song and I am sure that you vintage bike guys will appreciate it.
The song has been covered by a few other singers but his version of it is the best IMO.

This gives me an idea for a fresh thread... have to figure out where to post it.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18731

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com