Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Suggestions requested for custom rimfire

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Suggestions requested for custom rimfire
      #102939 - 20/04/08 12:20 AM

While most members here are big fans of the really big stuff, I recently found an impeccable Brno Model 2 action at a fantastic price and am planning to build a rimfire rifle on it. From my completely inexpert tests, a 22 lr round fits perfectly in the magazine and I think it is too small to build a 17 HMR rifle on.

I am thinking about building a 17 HM2 rifle with a 19" barrel on the action, probably with a full length stock. This would be a rifle without iron sights. A gunsmith friend in the UK has been cautioning me about possible accuracy problems with a full stock and that is the reason for this post here - to request experts here for suggestions on the configuration for this little rifle. I don't want a 22 lr because I have several now and I want something a little different.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gpsb
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/08
Loc: NJ
Re: Suggestions requested for custom rimfire [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #102948 - 20/04/08 01:36 AM

Hi Mehul

How are you? Another good find. Best wishes.

Edited by gpsb (20/04/08 01:37 AM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Suggestions requested for custom rimfire [Re: gpsb]
      #103066 - 21/04/08 07:39 PM

Sounds like .22LR and .17HM2 are your only simple options. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the .17 as I don't see the benefit. Yes trajectory may be a bit flatter, but the bullet is too light and you get increased wind drift and downrange energy is pretty pathetic in practical terms at ranges where the flatter trajectory is of any use. Plus there are fewer ammo choices and its more expensive.

As for me, I have 3 rimfires, a .22LR biathlon match rifle, a .22LR that shoots subsonics for small game hunting and a .22WMR that one day I plan to experiment with barrel twist and reloading to use subsonic 60grain bullets. At the moment the latter is a beautiful 100+ yard rabit gun and closer range fox round. I won't be getting any .17s any time soon.

Just my 2pence worth... Have fun with your project whatever you choose!

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Suggestions requested for custom rimfire [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #103067 - 21/04/08 08:33 PM

l'd opt for the 17 Hornady Mach 2.

I have built 2 so far. They are boringly accurate.

5 shots 25 yards

Hornet on Target- head shot at 25 yards.

Good killer--Rock chuck at 130 yards head shot.

They can be a challenge in the wind, but no less than the .22 LR in the Montana wind.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Suggestions requested for custom rimfire [Re: DoubleD]
      #103073 - 21/04/08 09:48 PM

I'd build an 17HMR.

Wouldn't surprise me if the HM2 was dropped.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Suggestions requested for custom rimfire [Re: 500Nitro]
      #103093 - 22/04/08 12:22 AM

I don't think the 17HM2 is going to be dropped. CCI has announced that that they have no intention of shutting down production.

Something to keep in mind if you are considering converting the BRNO to 17HMR. Is the bolt face flat or enclosed. If in closed you will have open the bolt face for the larger 17HMR rim. You are also going to have to move the strike further out and perhaps modify the extractor. THe 17HM2 requires no mods other than barrel lining/rebarrel.

If you do the go for the 17HM2 and it is discontinued you only have to reline it back to .22.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Edited by DoubleD (22/04/08 12:32 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Suggestions requested for custom rimfire [Re: 500Nitro]
      #103112 - 22/04/08 01:43 AM

Quote:

I'd build an 17HMR.

Wouldn't surprise me if the HM2 was dropped.

I would do the same--17HMR--have 2--they are lazers on gophers and prairie pgoodles out to 200 plus yards...noticably more flip factor on gophers...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Suggestions requested for custom rimfire [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #103121 - 22/04/08 03:01 AM

Quote:

While most members here are big fans of the really big stuff, I recently found an impeccable Brno Model 2 action at a fantastic price and am planning to build a rimfire rifle on it. From my completely inexpert tests, a 22 lr round fits perfectly in the magazine and I think it is too small to build a 17 HMR rifle on.

I am thinking about building a 17 HM2 rifle with a 19" barrel on the action, probably with a full length stock. This would be a rifle without iron sights. A gunsmith friend in the UK has been cautioning me about possible accuracy problems with a full stock and that is the reason for this post here - to request experts here for suggestions on the configuration for this little rifle. I don't want a 22 lr because I have several now and I want something a little different.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and good hunting, everyone!

: With an action too short for the HMR, by all means build the HM2. I used a GM barrel on my Martini for a HMR, bought the reamer from Manson, and set the barrel into a BSA Martini action. This rifle maintains 3/8" to .4" at 100 meters with Hornady 17gr. Vmax ammo, any mfgr's box.
: I used this rifle for a BR contest at GGVG site - 5 groups, 5 shots each on one target, 50 yards. My agg was .175" with best group of .087". The .17's rimfires are accurate.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Suggestions requested for custom rimfire [Re: DarylS]
      #104176 - 04/05/08 12:51 AM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all opinions. Unfortunately, the action is not big enough for a 17 HMR so it will have to be a HM2. I have been asking around and the HM2 is in no danger of becoming extinct especially because a large number of older rimfire semi autos like the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 60 are being converted to fire the HM2. Also, the vastly lower cost of HM2 ammunition means that it is going to remain current for a long time.

I hope to get started on the project after talking to some good friends here in the near future. And, I shall post all pictures here once I get started.

Best wishes, thanks again, and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3768

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com