Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 Take Down - 9.5X57

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 Take Down - 9.5X57
      #100989 - 31/03/08 07:28 PM

Here are some pictures of an old work horse from the Tea Plantations of Ceylon. The stock is not original & will one day be replaced with nice walnut. The metal is in far better shape than the photos indicate. The original rust blue is still in place with very few spots of surface rust. Bore is excellent and very crisp. The bolt spring is like new - much firmer than my other two rifles in same action.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 Take Down - 9.5X57 [Re: Nakihunter]
      #100995 - 31/03/08 08:17 PM

Lots of potential there, Naki. Marvellous stuff!

Interesting pop-up peep in the tang.

Less interesting hardware-store wood-screw retaining the bolt-release!

Love that chambering in a MS, always wanted one myself. One day....!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Landy
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/08
Loc: CA & ID, USA
Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 Take Down - 9.5X57 [Re: Marrakai]
      #101107 - 01/04/08 05:00 PM

Very nice. I like a bit of a "did it all before you were born kid" character to rifles at least as well as the flawless beauty of "case queens". Thes old mild medium bores did most of the real work in the old days and still can if given a chance.

Landy

gei
.224 member

Reged: 19/03/06
Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 Take Down - 9.5X57 [Re: Landy]
      #106601 - 04/06/08 01:44 AM

I hve a rifle very similar to yours. the wood on mine is pretty nice, the backtang on the stock is somewhat different. Never been drilled & tapped for scope.

It is in original Holland and Holland hard case, must have been retailed out from H & H. It was sent back to factory on two occasions, it has the tags still in the hard case. If I knew how to post pics i would.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 Take Down - 9.5X57 [Re: gei]
      #107066 - 09/06/08 11:29 AM

Here are some pictures of Gei's beautiful rifle - a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1910 takedown 9.5X57 in a H&H case & labels showing it was sent back to retailer twice.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff171/Arajasingh/Mannlicher8-1.jpg

--------------------

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #107068 - 09/06/08 11:45 AM

I too have a cased Holland & Holland Mannlicher-Schoenauer takedown, this one on a 1903 action and chambered in 400/375 H&H the first of the belted rounds. It is my understanding that the early H&H bolt action takedowns were MS based until the company switched over to the Mauser 98 actions just before WWI. The H&H MS takedowns are not that common and I treasure mine. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 Take Down - 9.5X57 [Re: dnovo]
      #107069 - 09/06/08 11:55 AM

NAKI:

S-T-O-R-Y, S-T-O-R-Y, S-T-O-R-Y!!

There must be a story??

When you say, from a Tea Plantation, what do you mean? What would a rifle like this one have been used for? Sport, meat for labor, predator control?

I am fascinated by working guns and this one oozes the Real McCoy.

What is the stock wood? Do you want to restock it just to make it original type? Why not leave as-is? When was it restocked? By whom, etc...?

Great rifle, and really, a super caliber, too.

Can't wait to read what you do with it!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Nakihunter
.375 member

Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 Take Down - 9.5X57 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #107079 - 09/06/08 03:59 PM

I bought this rifle from a guy in his 70's. He has had it for about 6 years & never shot it. He got it from a family estate - the original owner came from a Tea Plantation in Ceylon & South India (I started my career in Tea Plantations in Assam & South India!).

The rifle would have been used as a personal sporting gun. They did not hunt meat for the workers in the plantations. The British planter usually had one shotgun & one rifle. The rifle would have been used for wild boar, sambar, chital etc. or the odd leopard. Although every planter had a gun & / or rifle, not all of them were keen sportsmen. Most were just social hunters & the guns did not see too much use. This rifle has very good metal & bore. The bolt spring is like new as the rifle was stored with the bolt in the action & in taken down mode.

The wood is a native - probably teak or some other good hard wood. The inletting around the action is rough but the steel butt plate with trap door & cleaning rod has been done well & the barrel channel has also been done well to line up the barrel band front eye with the cross pin. It handles like my other sporter rifle.

I hope to have it restocked & rust blued one day. I might take it to Africa one day as my second rifle along with my Simson 9.3X62.

Gei's H&H MS is an awesome rifle & in very tidy condition. H&H's Manhattan gun rooms have one.

--------------------

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
      #107200 - 11/06/08 04:24 PM

Who in the world wouldn't love to own Gei's rfle??? However,if I owned your's I would treasure it just as it is and never consider a new stock.. The stock along with it's history make it that much more appealng to me.

ChrisPer
.300 member

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 Take Down - 9.5X57 [Re: dale]
      #114471 - 15/09/08 02:23 PM

I saw three 1910 M-S rifles in Harare when I was there some years ago, and bought one. One had come from the owner's father, and still had the steel buttplate, an absolute beauty. Two were in the Hunter's Paradise shop in Newlands, and I bought one of them which was well worn and had a 1970s American recoil pad. The other one had been restocked with a Ruger M77 stock, and the cognitive dissonance nearly blew my hat off.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8891

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com