Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Picking an Action?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
333Jeffery
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/06
Loc: Florida
Picking an Action?
      #154589 - 23/02/10 12:42 PM

I'm getting ready to start a custom bolt-gun project, and I'm looking for advice on what action to build on. The cartridge I want to use is the .333 Jeffery rimless. My choices of actions are: 1903A3 Springfield, and P17 Enfield. I know there are Mauser actions available, but I can get these for cheap (under $100). What are the pros and cons of these two particular actions? The 03A3 was made by Smith Corona, and the P17 was made by Eddystone. What size cartridges can these actions handle? Thanks for any info.

BTW, is the Enfield large enough to handle flanged cartridges? Just wanted to know for a future project.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: Picking an Action? [Re: 333Jeffery]
      #154593 - 23/02/10 01:51 PM

Jump over to the Big Bore Forum and click on "510 Wells Build Questions".

Then, in the same forum, click on "XAUSA And His 505 Short Range Express".

Most of your questions will be answered.

Myself and others here have built rifles on the 1917 Enfields. The Eddystone is least desirable. I prefer the Remington actions.

Any way you do it, using the Enfield as a base for a custom rifle is difficult if you have no serious metal working experience. Expensive if you hire someone to do it. It is cheaper to use a CZ550 or Brno602. It is real easy to make a ugly Enfield conversion, takes a lot of work and $$ to make a good looking one.

I am not familar with the 333 case dimensions and overall length, it may be too big for a 1903. If the COL is not too long, my first choice would be a 98 Mauser of recent origin, maybe a Mark X.

333Jeffery
.300 member

Re: Picking an Action? [Re: Altamaha]
      #154602 - 23/02/10 04:40 PM

The .333 case is .545" in diameter, with an overall length of 3.247". The Springfield looks better to me than the Enfield, but the Enfield is big enough to house most anything. I plan on having the work done by a gunsmith, but I would like to keep the cost down. I'd love to use a CZ-550 action for the project, but I can't find one under $500.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #154612 - 23/02/10 07:31 PM

G'Day Fella's,

333Jeffery, it all depends on what You want to end up with!
Do You just want a rifle in this caliber, regardless of what it is.
Or do you want something that Other People would really want to own?

If you just want this rifle for hunting and plinking, the animals/targets won't complain because they weren't shot with a "Rigby", they wont know or care!

The way I see it, this is what it all boils down to.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

pinotguy
.275 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: CO
Re: Picking an Action? [Re: Homer]
      #154637 - 24/02/10 02:51 AM

333Jeffrey,

Have you found a barrel for this project? If so, where and who?

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
      #154641 - 24/02/10 03:26 AM

Quote:

The .333 case is .545" in diameter, with an overall length of 3.247". The Springfield looks better to me than the Enfield, but the Enfield is big enough to house most anything. I plan on having the work done by a gunsmith, but I would like to keep the cost down. I'd love to use a CZ-550 action for the project, but I can't find one under $500.

This COL will fit in a Mauser 98, a MarkX Mauser, a M70 Winchester.

A CZ550 for $500 is a very good buy.

An interesting action would be one of the very early pre 64 M70 Winchesters with the "Flag" safety.

You do not need the Enfield size and weight.

333Jeffery
.300 member

Re: Picking an Action? [Re: Altamaha]
      #154662 - 24/02/10 07:18 AM

Pinotguy, Dan Pedersen makes the correct .333 barrels. Here's his website: http://www.cutrifle.com/index.html
His stuff's good, but a bit pricey.
If a CZ or a Mauser is the only reasonable way to go, I could save-up the money for one. But, that reduces the money I'd have left for the gunsmith. I don't want to half-ass the rest of the gun.

Speaking of interesting actions, I did come across a nifty Mannlicher-Schoenauer action, complete with rotary magazine. But, I'm guessing that it would be too small for this cartridge?

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #154751 - 25/02/10 07:18 AM

Quote:

Pinotguy, Dan Pedersen makes the correct .333 barrels. Here's his website: http://www.cutrifle.com/index.html
His stuff's good, but a bit pricey.
If a CZ or a Mauser is the only reasonable way to go, I could save-up the money for one. But, that reduces the money I'd have left for the gunsmith. I don't want to half-ass the rest of the gun.

Speaking of interesting actions, I did come across a nifty Mannlicher-Schoenauer action, complete with rotary magazine. But, I'm guessing that it would be too small for this cartridge?

I went the .333 route myself a few years back..

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post104588

It took me over a full year to find someone who could do a .333barrel metford rifled + 2 years of waiting for the barrels( I got two) + another two years of wait at the gunsmiths...5 years total.
Go for the Mauser..!

Result:

333Jeffery
.300 member

Re: Picking an Action? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #155075 - 28/02/10 09:59 AM

I talked to Duane Wiebe about this, and he said to stay away from the 03 Springfield actions if I was going to build a sporter. He recommended an FN Mauser action. As luck would have it, I found an FN actioned Husqvarna rifle shortly afterwards. If I can scrape together the money, it may be the platform for this project. It's a bit more that a CZ-550 action, but I figure it probably is better machined than the CZ.
BTW, Mr. Wiebe said the Mannlicher-Schoenauer action could've been used, but the machine work would be quite costly.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #155133 - 01/03/10 01:53 AM

Not being nosey, but what is the cost of the FN Husky you found? Are you intent on a commercial FN action or would you use a Military? I have a military FN action (an entire rifle) that might be of interest and might save a little $$.

Send me a PM if you care.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

333Jeffery
.300 member

Re: Picking an Action? [Re: CptCurl]
      #155147 - 01/03/10 06:27 AM

Thanks Curl. The Husqvarna is about $600. I like the commercial FN action a bit more than the military actions. It looks sleeker than the military stuff.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5740

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com